• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FPS View, Invert vs Default

Teddman said:
It's simple really:

Invert on consoles, because the analog stick is like a flightstick in practice.

Default on PC's, because you're using a mouse. You want your crosshairs/viewpoint to move wherever the mouse pointer does.
*Ding ding ding*

This man is correct.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Invert (with a mouse, I can't play a FPS any other way).
I tried playing without invert and kept tripping all over myself... almost as bad as when I first switched from keyboard to mouse...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
In first person games I always go default, it's just right. But in 3rd person inverted is usually good, because it's like an infinite line coming out of the front and back of your gun, and you are tilting that. It's good because it gives you the right sense of manipulating the camera as well as your gun, and tilting to a correct line of fire is how you aim a gun in real life anyway. I can go either way in 3rd person, but on PC I still prefer default for 3rd person because the mouse is still a very point-and-click thing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I guess I've played too many flight sims in the Amiga era 'cos now I have to invert whenever I control a crossair. On console tho.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Inverted is the only method personally endorsed by God.

'Sides, I think of it like this: when I need to look up, I roll my head back, look down, roll my head forward. Kinda like a flight stick.

User 406

Banned
It's not worth playing FPSes without a mouse, so I use normal for them naturally. The thing is, I sometimes run into a problem with normal/invert in third person games.

For third person games that use dual analog control, I prefer inverted controls. However, when I go into first person sniping mode in a third person game, I'll sometimes get confused and expect normal movement instead of inverted. Certain things can mitigate this effect, for instance a zooming in animation when I go into first person view can do a better job of keeping my brain oriented to the inverted scheme.

It's pretty annoying when this kind of mental disconnect happens in the middle of a frantic situation. :/

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Give me five minutes and I can use either one -- it's just a matter of my brain adjusting.

That said, I prefer inverted.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Stick control = Inverted
Mouse control = Default

So in battlefield 1942/vietnam my controls switch between inverted and default during the game lol. It works for me :D :p.

MaddenNFL64

human5892 said:
Give me five minutes and I can use either one -- it's just a matter of my brain adjusting.

That said, I prefer inverted.

Exactly. I've played games at default, and it felt normal after a bit of practice.

Still, i'd rather just play inverted :).

ced

I inverted for years(pc and console), but one time playing Halo I figured Id try to switch, it took me like 15 mins to re wire the brain, and since then been using default, cause well, its default.

Top Bottom