• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freakyforms (3dsware) |OT| of Don't Panic

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Fun fact: Freakyforms is currently the 3rd all-time top-rated entry on the DE eshop, right after SM3DL and OOT3D. Not bad for a non-VC title ; )

zigg

I decided I'd poke at this for a half-hour while I worked out last night, ended up sitting on the bike and playing for another 30 after the timer went off.

For as arguably weak as the questing stuff is, the whole package is pretty addictive.

zigg

This'll be my last post of this nature if this thread shows no more signs of life, but here's my latest batch: http://imgur.com/a/M5dM3

GP2ZQ.jpg
rJk1Y.jpg
x5atR.jpg

Rainier, the rainbow guy (GET IT?), looks almost trippy when he's palette-cycling from a bonus chance powerup.

It's unfortunately pretty heavy on the creation challenges, which, while amusing, aren't at all my best work. But there may be some parts in there worth having :)

jgkspsx

Yep, this is clearly from the mind behind Chibirobo Park Patrol :(

Creation is a lot more fun than I thought, but in service of nothing. A game composed entirely of busywork. Beech.

EDIT: On the other hand, GOTTA GO FAST entering an actual game might be worth $7.

Thanks to this thread I downloaded the game and I'm blown away. This could become my favorite 3DS game so far. I'm going to post some of my creations here soon. Keep this thread alive. The game really deserves more attention.

web01

Fuck this game man.
> Name your planet
> Are you sure? The planet name CAN NOT be changed once it is selected.
>Takes me over 30 minutes to come up with planet name.

zigg

Thanks all :) I do firmly expect I'll still be picking at this long after most others have lost interest.

Fuck this game man.
> Name your planet
> Are you sure? The planet name CAN NOT be changed once it is selected.
>Takes me over 30 minutes to come up with planet name.
Haha, I obsessed briefly over that myself. But really, in the end, it's fairly inconsequential. Biggest thing is that it'll show when your Formees go visiting. Which still hasn't happened to me mumble grumble.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wow, how did I not notice this thread for 9 days.

Havent tried the game yet, but will tomorrow. Keep the thread alive for a seemingly interesting and off beat game. I'll be back with impressions after tinkering with it tomorrow.

zigg

Wow, how did I not notice this thread for 9 days.
It's low-volume, it tends to slip out from under the radar every so often... :)

If you guys haven't actually scanned Tim here:

bfzOo.jpg

do it. He has a secret not pictured ;) Surprised nobody commented on it. His wings aren't his only method of flight...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What are you doing currently ingame? Still creating creatures? How many have you created? Do those creatues actually make a difference gameplay wise? Anything else you are spending your time on in this game currently except creature creation?

Toma

What are you doing currently ingame? Still creating creatures? How many have you created? Do those creatues actually make a difference gameplay wise? Anything else you are spending your time on in this game currently except creature creation?

Bump, I am seriously interested in more "long term" impressions by you guys. Did everyone except zigg stop playing after 30 minutes?

Toma

Oh, I'm still playing it alright. Just been too lazy to post any of my creations here.

The question below was sort of directed to all "long term" players to get an idea of how the progress might shift after the initial hour. So also to you if you dont mind :) Elaborated a bit.

What are you doing currently ingame? Still interested in creating creatures? Is it still rewarding to do that? How many have you created? Do those creatues actually make a difference gameplay wise? Anything else you are spending your time on in this game currently except creature creation? I could imagine some might love the game only for coming up with quirky characters.

Oh, well I'm still enjoying making creatures and trying to complete the various quests from the different characters. You also have the creation challenges, where you're given a description of a creature and you have to make it.

Making creatures and seeing how they control/laughing at their ridiculousness really is the bulk of the game and there's a lot you can do with them (they all control very differently, depending on how you make them). You get out of it what you put into it.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's become my most used title on the system (I still got a DSi to play my DS games), clocking in nearly 13 hours (whatever that means). I've been playing it when I got downtime, watching TV or what have you. Use what I see for some incite on creations.

The quests in the game are just simple distractions, something along the lines of Animal Crossing. The only drive there I see is to get more shapes to use in creations, but it's always amusing to see your creation come alive in that short time.

I plan on going on with the game. I haven't really done much customization on the worlds, and I wouldn't mind eventually making my own themes later.

and while I'm here...
kWshq.jpgm
fyQjT.jpgm

xvdfa.jpgm
0WXLw.jpgm

uuA0O.jpgm

The question below was sort of directed to all "long term" players to get an idea of how the progress might shift after the initial hour. So also to you if you dont mind :) Elaborated a bit.

Well I have about 7 hours of gametime now. I'm still pretty much just creating creatures, combining stuff and getting ideas done. I'm still collecting parts to be used in creation. I actually like the way they handled the exploration/creation stuff, where you are encouraged to try out various forms instead of obsessing over a single creation for too long. It gives the game a much more organic feel.

Toma

Just started playing as well. Really good first impressions. Will post a bit more in a few minutes.

Toma

Alright, here a few more in-depth impressions:

What is it?
Its a downloadable title for 3DS from a third party/Indie Dev, so I didnt actually expect too much, but I heard people are enjoying it and since I really was in need of something for my 3DS this was the perfect excuse to get a game for it (Also considering other MAYBE worthwhile games cost 30-40€). It was 6€ btw for anyone who hasnt yet bought it.

What do I do?
Well you just build a creature and poke around with it. Titles like these often live only through the imagination of the player and you are most definitely getting more from this game if you are creative, BUT you dont need to be. The game is doing a pretty good job at giving you a steady progress, introducing new elements to keep things fresh. And there is quite a bit of variety in examples. Meaning, that when creating you have the choice of having a basic layout on the top screen and a few other variants of it. This is remarkably helpful in getting basic ideas across (and in the meantime also showing how versatile all those parts really are).
Someone compared the general feeling to Animal Crossing. And surprisingly.. it isnt too far off. You sort of got the quirky villagers you are making errands for, you got a steady progress and supply of new "items", or here "parts" to make your creations.

Can I do more?
There are also a few other modes, mostly just to further get people to play around with the "toys" available. For example a panorama mode, which you can outfit with your self created environments and make 3D photos with your Formees, or a mode where you get the black outline of a formee and you'll try to recreate it without knowing exactly what it looks like. I thought it was pretty funny to see how the "real" formee was meant to look and what I made of it.
I mentioned it briefly, but you can also change environments, meaning, you have the chance to not only recreate a character you like but also the fitting surrounding for a panoramic screenshot. Its fun to create new trees and clouds but they dont add anything substantial to the mix, meaning the height of trees doesnt matter for example. Nothing too important, but it would be awesome if you had more ways of directly addressing features which your formees could use in one way or the other.
Other than that, you can QR code share, street pass share and probably a few other things I forgot.

How's the main part of the game except the creation?
The main part, next to the creations, is probably a side scrolling world in which you have a limited amount of time to jump and run around. You have your other formees and more random formees giving you quests of a limited variety, but they are a nice reason to explore the level and collect coins and brick stones. This isnt a super deep platforming experience, but it has quite a few nice touches. For example if you have a formee without legs, it will have more problems keeping itself away from gaps/holes than a formee with wide and lots of legs will have. I hope there are a few more elements that make these formees differ from each other than only with different looks and leg options. But if not it is still fun to poke around with the different moving methods (walking, flying, jumping, swimming).
To make things a little bit more dynamic they give you lots of rewards for what you do. So that you can get to customize your formees with more options, which also is used as sort of your "progress".The jump and run world is expanding, meaning you get to see more after a certain time AND you always got new parts to be creative with.
There are also some other small surprises to keep things a bit more interesting, but I dont want to spoil them here.
Oh and before I forget, there is a map for the side scrolling action. Super handy. Some might have missed it (Press start).

Controlled with the stylus? Does that work?
I was surprised to notice that it actually works pretty well. You arent moving them "normally" most of the time, but use the touch screen to "snap" them across the screen. It's also nice to see some difference in how formees react to jumping and landing. After a while you get pretty acurate with where you want to land.

What If I am not creative?
I'd say there is still a good chance that you still might like the game. Its only 6€ and definitely worth a look on the system. It is really charming with the cute voices (16 different types, which still have 5 different pitch options each), and seeing own creations moving can be adorable. The game offers quite a bit of content for 6€ even if you are not the creative type. They made sure to give a good amount of "examples" on what to create. Its simply light hearted fun.

How is the 3D?
Very subtle. Its not distracting at all. Sometimes I dont even notice it, but when its turned on, its still nice to see that the background is a bit further back than the rest, but not really that well implemented. I can see myself turning it off later for a bit sharper graphics.

Just a few basic formees of mine as I just started out:
Tte2z.jpg

p4O9M.jpg

cwQRf.jpg

Zarovitch

"Oh and before I forget, there is a map for the side scrolling action. Super handy. Some might have missed it (Press start)."

Serious? thanks!

Chopper

It's low-volume, it tends to slip out from under the radar every so often... :)

If you guys haven't actually scanned Tim here:

bfzOo.jpg

do it. He has a secret not pictured ;) Surprised nobody commented on it. His wings aren't his only method of flight...

Nice. How did you do that? I wanna make a
gas-powered
freak myself!

Toma

"Oh and before I forget, there is a map for the side scrolling action. Super handy. Some might have missed it (Press start)."

Serious? thanks!

Yeah, it wasnt explained anywhere and I just pressed start intuitively because I wanted to pause the game. I can imagine quite a few missing that information.

Toma

Another thing I forgot to mention, this IS the most original game on the system so far (and one of the best). Which is rather... painful. I mean it sure is a fun game, but it's just a perfect example of the potential the 3DS has...and how much of that hasnt been touched yet.

Anyway, every 3DS owner should look at this thread at least once. Spread the word! :p

Toma

Skip and former chibi-robo devs got me. Damn :D Downloading now.

Hope you enjoy it ;) and share some of your creations here. I want to see what comes out of your twisted, Stronghold tainted mind :p

Toma

Heh, girlfriend got hooked as well. Played 1 hour with it to create a formee for me. Wide appeal :)

watershed

Banned
After pouring in ridiculous hours the first two days of owning this it has now become my short quick play game. Its really fun to just create a formee and play that first mission with it.

Toma

After pouring in ridiculous hours the first two days of owning this it has now become my short quick play game. Its really fun to just create a formee and play that first mission with it.

Same here. I'll probably do that once in a while before going to bed.

Toma

Woah, some pretty nice ones in there.

I love the dead fish, the little pink thing and the DEATH one :D

Getting my 3DS to copy them! Nice!

Toma

The girl has a funny surprise.

Also, the wheelie guy and the poo guy are set-up for use in all environments. The wheelie guy is a little too fat for a couple areas on the Meadow level (I think his wheel is the problem, needs a shrink). The fish can fly and swim.

I really like the challenges. It would be kinda neat to see everyone's attempt at certain challenges.

I was already thinking of creating a few mini challenges for us. No contest or anything. Just for fun,but a small challenge where we are all on the same level :)
"Make a videogame character from game XYZ"
"Make a character inspired by item XYZ"

etcetc

Anyone interested?

Toma

That could be fun, as long as we choose characters that are known by all.

Wellll... dude. Since you are banned and all. Feel free to pm or mail me in case you got some formees for such a contest if we get it going.

Toma

artwalknoon said:
I gave Layton another shot, some minor improvements but still not great. Unfortunately I can't make the eyes any smaller. Also tried out a batman. Edit: Just made Inspector Chelmey from Layton. I changed his colors a little because there weren't any direct matches.

301369_10150504603901004_693881003_10239978_14828317_n.jpg

I LOVE his hair. That was seriously a fantastic idea. Try him guys :)

Toma

Ah, whatever. We'll get it rolling:

Make a water pokemon.
Its more or less a free for all waterformee ideas, but if you are really clever, try re-making a water pokemon or even make a new form (evolution/devolution) of an existing one.

-> List of Water Pokemon

You are NOT restricted to one entry, we'll just do that until people get tired of it.

One thing, though: Only post formees you made for the "contest".

blu

xfyl6.jpg
AUpT0.jpg

Pitcher | Moon rider (AKA Insatiable Antenna)

blu

I'll pass on "make a fmiliar character" myself. Just not my thing.

Maybe I'm running out of inspiration, though... you be the judge.
You're reaching your 'mature minimalism' artistic period - I too hit mine recently ;p

That said, this one:
zigg said:
absolutely kicks ass.

ps: went though a version of the 'hypnotic eye' myself earlier today ; )

Maldoror

I'm really enjoying the game so far, a lot more than I expected. That said, I would have loved a little more diversity in the quests given by the NPF (non playable formees :b).

Four of my formees :

Z5EIE.jpg
wqWjx.jpg

pJ251.jpg
dfURT.jpg

Toma

In regard to DSi/3DSware this game must be a smashhit. I'd love to know how much it sold.

zigg

ps: went though a version of the 'hypnotic eye' myself earlier today ; )
Haha, yeah, I unlocked the snail and was just "well now, I know just what to do with that."

I do wish I'd added a flipped swirly behind it, though.

Toma

Two new ones from me:

JTNr3.jpg

Love the legs while normal walking

And one of my favorites so far:
6yDv5.jpg

Top Bottom