• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Azih

Thats what I'd say, but I know that others value Ion weapons very much. I usually fare better with brute force.

Is my firepower good enough as is do you think? I can unload my other weapons and my useless augs for a pretty penny to get the cloaking device even if I don't have any other scrap.

didamangi

Is my firepower good enough as is do you think? I can unload my other weapons and my useless augs for a pretty penny to get the cloaking device even if I don't have any other scrap.

I'd say it's good enough, I won using less firepower than you (4 laser shot, small bomb and breach missile)

Cloaking device is pretty important to avoid the missile barrage and the power surges of the mothership.

edit: Oh, since you're primarily using brute force to kill the boss, don't forget to place your extra crew members in or around
the weapons bay for a quicker repair response time.

Thraktor

Finally got my first win (on easy, though). Didn't lose a single crew member the whole way through, either. Was my first time with the Zoltan Cruiser, and my first go with a beam-heavy strategy. Time to start playing on normal!

didamangi

I wonder how many people beat the boss on Normal without cloaking. I had a really good run going with the Engi ship, but the boarding drone in Phase 2 was what I really couldn't deal with (and I'd fended off numerous Mantis boards along the way.) Getting the alarm that the drone swarm is coming and being able to cloak when it launches seems invaluable.

Just beat the boss on Normal without cloaking using The Osprey.

Defense Drone 1 and 3 shield is enough to beat phase 2, my Defense Drone can shoot down most of the boarding drone (the drones only board me once in this one).

530425A866B0D94FC62A1525F91C7AE60BB6FC1E

But I think my pilot save me on this one though, she's got mad skills avoiding most of the lasers on phase 3 xD

Lotto

I'm so glad this game got kickstarted. I didn't back the game but thought it looked interesting nonetheless. Ended up buying it when it went up on steam with the 10% discount and am having a blast with it. Never really played rogue-likes before so this is my first time playing this type of game and it's great. Really love the pacing of the game too. Finally got my first achievement (get through 5 sectors) and unlocked my first ship (Engi ship)!

evilhomer

This game is awesome so far!

Just got it earlier and almost beat the boss on my first playthough. Got him down to 4 or so health but I really didn't have much of a chance after he cloaked again and destroyed me :(

Danj

Just got it earlier and almost beat the boss on my first playthough. Got him down to 4 or so health but I really didn't have much of a chance after he cloaked again and destroyed me :(

o_O how are people able to do this? I must've died like 5 or 6 times and I am sure I am nowhere near a boss. And I wasn't even playing on Normal, I was on Easy because it said noobs should use Easy mode.

evilhomer

o_O how are people able to do this? I must've died like 5 or 6 times and I am sure I am nowhere near a boss. And I wasn't even playing on Normal, I was on Easy because it said noobs should use Easy mode.

I think I may have gotten a bit lucky cause I got a couple extra weapons gifted to me early which helped :p

The last few sectors I had to rush through though since I was getting destroyed. I was really just going to kamikaze the boss since I figured I had no chance. Can't believe how close I got :D

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Don't die as much.

mike23

I think I may have gotten a bit lucky cause I got a couple extra weapons gifted to me early which helped :p

The last few sectors I had to rush through though since I was getting destroyed. I was really just going to kamikaze the boss since I figured I had no chance. Can't believe how close I got :D

Did you get close to killing its first form or the third form?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Hah, wow, it took me six playthroughs to even reach the boss, and he promptly annihilated me. I have yet to defeat him, after something like a dozen and a half games. Still loving FTL though, it's a superb game.

KKRT00

Reached boss in my second playthrough and I had untouchable build till the boss ;\

Ugh...got to the rebel flagship for the second time last night (first time I got obliterated super fast).

I thought I had a decent Engi ship- pretty defensively built with shields maxed out, good pilot, good boarding crew and some drones. I send my boarding crew (1 Mantis and Rock) in to take out the guns. No problem. Then I had to chip away at the ship with my ion blast and anti ship drone and heavy laser while teleporting my boarding crew in and sending in my boarding drone. Eventually my boarding crew and boarding drone get the ship crew to split up so made progress in taking down the shields, allowing my anti ship drone to do some damage. Beamed my guys out and get to the next phase.

I tried the same strategy with phase 2 and got crushed. I put up a defense drone but once they sent in their boarding drone, my Engi crew couldn't take it out and my good fighters were trying to take out the weapons on the rebel ship. Meanwhile the rebel drones were just swarming my ship, so even with my maxed out shields they just got overwhelmed. Next thing you know, my drone section is busted and my O2 section has a fire in it, and then boom, I'm dead.

I thought I was doing really good, but I need to have more firepower (maybe missiles) or some way to more quickly bust the flagship's shields. Cloaking might help too- I haven't even tried that yet.

didamangi

I thought I was doing really good, but I need to have more firepower (maybe missiles) or some way to more quickly bust the flagship's shields. Cloaking might help too- I haven't even tried that yet.

Cloak level 1 is enough to avoid the drone invasion on phase 2 and the laser barrage on phase 3. So yeah, it's very useful.

I'm also trying to beat the game using the Engi Cruiser. But man, if you're not lucky it can be really though at the start of the game. My playthrough of it (Sector 1)

I think I'm not going to win with this crew :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
A hint, once you have 2 Ion Blasters on the engi ship, just disrupt their shields constantly, and in addition shoot at the O2 and the weapons. Everything will be down constantly if you rotate correctly and you will kill all the crew gaining a lot more scrap without boarding!

Takes a lot of patience though!

Man, 3 shield bubbles on Zoltan Cruiser, level 8 engines, Halbard Beam, 2 burst laser 1s, and an Ion Bomb, 2 rockman boarders, Defense Drone, and I still lost to the flagship.

Copenap

Boooyaaaahhh, finished the game (on easy...) today.

Feels good man though I didn't even try that often, it was something like my 8th try but damn it felt like forever. Did it without boarding parties as I just couldn't get enough crew as I only got 2 additional crew members to a total of 5 and one even died in like the 7th sector.

Beat the flagship with mass Laser weapons and had only like 5 hull left after the second encounter. Now off to normal...

RS4-

Man, 3 shield bubbles on Zoltan Cruiser, level 8 engines, Halbard Beam, 2 burst laser 1s, and an Ion Bomb, 2 rockman boarders, Defense Drone, and I still lost to the flagship.

I want to say that the rock men probably take too long to take the flagship weapons out. Would help if you had maybe 4 crew raiding their weapon systems instead.

I haven't played in a while. I'll load up again later

Mindlog

I think he's also got a defense drone that can be disabled?
Yeah, it actually has a bunch of other drones, but I forgot about them because the boarder is the only one that bothers me. I found another combination to enjoy. Cloak/Pre-Ignition/Bombs. I can reliably take down the missile launcher and drone bay before they even do damage to me.

Still missing that last cruiser.
p0oSM.gif

Unlocked the Zoltan cruiser today but had to read a guide because I had no idea what the quest was demanding and I did it in sector 5 without upgrading anything (great boarding party and a slug sure help). Unfortunately I missed out on the stealth (?) Ship because I didn't have high enough sensors. Overall I had pretty poor luck all day. My rockman ships kept getting into unintuitive dead ends and wouldn't get any lasers and my engi got to sector 7 with anti-ship 1, beam-ship 1 and the ion cannon (obviously against 3 shield I couldn't do anything but weep). My last est run though seems promising (sector 5 no upgrades).

Now I have about 550 scrap and think I should probably upgrade but I have no augments and the store keeps trying to sell me drones while I am flush with missiles. I am using the kestral and I have stealth and a teleporter (no drone). My weapons are the artemis, pegasus (unpowered), the original laser and an ion bomb. Crew is two zoltan, one mantis and rockman, a slug and an engi. Holding out hope that I can get a civi back for that achievement (bastards kept dying in raids). Still rocking only one shield and relying heavily on artemis destroying the medbay then my mantis and rockman killing their crew while my lasers lock down their weapon systems Any suggestions on what systems to upgrade?

Haunted

The second phase is the hardest, imo.

One boarding drone to your cockpit or one ion blast to your shields and the drone power surge will rip you to shreds in seconds. Had such a good run, too. :(

Guys! I'm at a point where I'm torn between two upgrades: the drone system and the auto re loader. I have 115 scraps. What should I do?

The second phase is the hardest, imo.

One boarding drone to your cockpit or one ion blast to your shields and the drone power surge will rip you to shreds in seconds. Had such a good run, too. :(

This happened to me in this past game and very nearly destroyed me - damn hull breach in the cockpit made sure that I couldn't dodge even when in stealth.

I was able to beat the second phase but all of the repair nodes were behind the base (4 jumps away) and the Rebel Flagship was 4 jumps from base. I wasn't sure if this would be a loss so I took on round 3. My final salvo killed the Flagship, but it's dying shot also killed me. I got the win, but it was bitter and a second longer on my side would have cost the Federation everything.

I love this game. I think I will be getting this for all my friends this Christmas. I hope they release it on mobile devices.

Twiccan

Neo Member
This and Tokyo Jungle have joined forces to become my new crack. When Card Hunter comes out, I think my life as a shut in will be official.

cametall

I cannot get past Sector 4. No matter how smoothly I handle and dominate the other 3 sectors I get torn up in Sector 4.

Twiccan

Neo Member
I cannot get past Sector 4. No matter how smoothly I handle and dominate the other 3 sectors I get torn up in Sector 4.

Easy or Medium? Because that's about where I always bite it, too, and I've only played Medium so far. Maybe you are supposed to play on Easy until you unlock some better ships?

Grief.exe

Just letting anyone who are interested know, if you got an Android phone recently and signed up for Google Wallet you got a free $10 dollars.

You have to use that $10 before October 17th or else it disappears. Just so happens that if you go to www.ftlgame.com/ they allow you to pay with Google Wallet and the game is $10. I was always trying to find a use for the free money.

This method works for any humble store game apparently so FTL, Legend of Grimrock (on sale for $7.50 right now), Awesomenauts, Trine 2, Bit.Trip, Botanacula, and a lot more.

They stopped giving out new cards as of September 17th, and if you updated the app after that date your card will disappear entirely. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of this since my old Nexus broke and the pre-paid card is attached to the phone. If you are in a similar situation, or if you updated the app and the card disappeared, then call this number 8558960693 and they will send you a check.

Seems like a legitimate way to get a free game, I can't personally make a thread so if anyone wants to start one they should so we could get the word out. Don't know how many people this will affect but if you activated an Android phone anytime in the last year and a half you should have the $10.

I'm going to post this in a couple more places like the Legend of Grimrock OT, Green Man Gaming thread, and the Steam thread since the latter two are kind of the places to put good PC deals.

Enjoy your free game! I'm a super poor college student and really wanted FTL. I'll have to wait 30-60 days to get it until Google mails me a check

Beaten. Use a self-teleporting weapon (like the Small Bomb) for the final boss to knock out his drones and shields. Once those are down, it's a piece of cake.

Haunted

Finally unlocked the Mantis ship layout B. Looking at the 4-man teleporter room aaawww yeea-

2rRPg.gif

-wait a second.

WHERE ARE THE WEAPONS? ;_;

cametall

Easy or Medium? Because that's about where I always bite it, too, and I've only played Medium so far. Maybe you are supposed to play on Easy until you unlock some better ships?

Medium only. Maybe that's it. Maybe you are supposed to play on easy to unlock other ships first.

Haunted

Medium only. Maybe that's it. Maybe you are supposed to play on easy to unlock other ships first.
I don't think the other ships are that much better. Think of it as different starting classes in a roguelike, they're mainly just different and fairly well balanced out.

I do think unlocking the second layout for some ships improves them, though, and some of the achievements required are definitely easier to achieve on Easy. <3 Kestrel Type B.

Finally beat it on easy! Had a Engi ship with the full crew, 2 mantis for my boarding party, 2 ion weapons and the anti ship and beam drones plus a maxed out pilot and maxed out shields plus the basic cloak.

It really was much easier having the 2 ion weapons to nerf the flagship's shields, send in my mantis to take out the weapons and using cloak during the last phase when the flagship launches all the missiles.

Now to try normal!

Medium isn't medium, it's hard. Easy follows a more traditional medium difficulty curve where it starts easy but ramps up the difficulty so that if you haven't been playing "correctly" you'll start getting ruined by Sector 7 or so, but at the same time allows for mistakes or loose playing early on.

Haunted

I think I like the boarding and crew control mechanics so much because they allow for some neat micro tricks.

Like walking your crew back and forth through the medbay (by clicking on opposite adjacent rooms) and being able to heal more than 3 people at the same time like that.

Or opening blast doors to trick the AI into moving on from damaging a subsystem but closing them before they can go through (or even better, separate them from each other).

Blizzard

Banned
Medium isn't medium, it's hard. Easy follows a more traditional medium difficulty curve where it starts easy but ramps up the difficulty so that if you haven't been playing "correctly" you'll start getting ruined by Sector 7 or so, but at the same time allows for mistakes or loose playing early on.
I'm confused by the talk of Medium. I only see Easy and Normal...is there a third difficulty?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm confused by the talk of Medium. I only see Easy and Normal...is there a third difficulty?

Easy and normal only. There is a mod that adds extra difficulty though.

Any word on Steam cloud support?

I'm not sure about any word from the devs, but I've been playing FTL on my desktop and on my laptop and have noticed it syncing the saves via Steam Cloud. Sometimes it doesn't sync quite right, but its generally been working for me.

Haunted

6 episodes and he still put a man on the sensor bay :(
:lol I like this guy, he's endearing. But without playing the tutorial and using the pause function and him immediately starting out on normal, he'll be struggling to make any headway for a lot longer than just 40 minutes. :p

I'm watching Northernlion's LP - if anyone has any other worthwhile FTL LPs, please share them, I love watching these videos (same with Dark Souls blind and Spelunky)

edit: also, the victory screen needs to mention your fallen comrades as well. The guy who repaired my Oxygen and valiantly fought off boarding drone after boarding drone deserves to be remembered just as much as the survivors.

olmos_salute.jpg

:p

Azih

iQHAzRsqn6dVg.png

BOOM!
Normal VICTORY FINALLY. So satisfying.
And this is who I did it with.
i2oFRexG5wnkL.png

Not as much of a tank as I wanted by the end, but 51% evade with full power to engines and three levels of shields prevented a whole lot of damage. The only thing more awesome than all the misses was my barrage of 10 laser shots falling on the rebel bastard like rain. Dropping 150 scrap on stealth was so worth it as well.

Edit: Images too damn big, I am not good with computer.

Haunted

Is cloaking worth it? Do you guys use it as a last minute evasive maneuver when you see lots of stuff headed your way?

The cooldown is so damn long...

Deadbeat

Banned
Is cloaking worth it? Do you guys use it as a last minute evasive maneuver when you see lots of stuff headed your way?

The cooldown is so damn long...
You will love to have it in the
flagship battle when the warning of the power surge pops up
. You need to buff it to at least 10 seconds. 5 Seconds is pointless. It makes your evade over 100%.

Top Bottom