• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Woohoo! Just finished my first playthrough on normal with the Kestrel, with no restarts. Went with 3 lasers and a missile weapon, using the missile to take down enemy shields before firing a synchronised laser salvo on weapons. If you fire the Heavy Laser slightly after your Burst Laser, you can maximise damage since the Heavy Laser does 2 damage to hull if it hits, and only 1 to shields.

So I cheesed the 1 hull/full repair and all subsystems purchased achievements to get Kestrel B and got my first (Easy) victory on my first try with it! 1 for 36 ain't bad T.T

Also here's my hilarious final state:

You should have seen the state of my ship after the drone phase. I lost my Zoltan engine operator AFTER that phase, in a mad scramble to put out fires, repair breaches, and restore oxygen and med bay. I had good/bad luck. Good luck in general, but I also got the Astronomically Low achievement (take 5 hits in a row with max/fully powered engine, let alone the 2 star operator, I find it hilarious that his replacement got a star from just that phase).

I also think I let my bloodlust screw me out of getting the slug ship >.>

Holy crap, you could have got the Tough Little Ship achievement itself if you didn't have it already and they let you repair aftr that fight. :D
Also, you might want to put \
Really awesome guide there. Have you considered making some Youtube videos or something similar to illustrate some of the situations or configurations you mention in there?

I have thought about it, but I've never in my life done something like that, strangely enough. It would have to be a silent walthrough as well, as I'm Spanish and don't want to subject others to my quirky spoken English (everyone I've talked to says the can understand me fine, but it's probably not nearly glamorous enough to listen for a few hours :D). I also pause a LOT and think stuff for quite long stretches of time (my last game completion took 4 hours), so unless those are edited out (quite a bit of work) it might be quite boring to watch.

In any case, I went back and added a few tips about boarding the enemy.

Edit: I've added tips on cloaking and weapon types as well. Check the original post for them. :) I'm now trying to cover all skills levels for the game and giving out newbie advice as well, while still assuming everyone has played the tutorial. If I'm missing something important not covered by it, please let me know and I'll add it.

Danj

I have thought about it, but I've never in my life done something like that, strangely enough. It would have to be a silent walthrough as well, as I'm Spanish and don't want to subject others to my quirky spoken English (everyone I've talked to says the can understand me fine, but it's probably not nearly glamorous enough to listen for a few hours :D). I also pause a LOT and think stuff for quite long stretches of time (my last game completion took 4 hours), so unless those are edited out (quite a bit of work) it might be quite boring to watch.

If you have a Mac I think iMovie has some sort of VoiceOver thing you can use to have a synthetic voice. On PC it's a bit more complicated, but there are some cheap high-quality text-to-speech engines at www.ivona.com that you can use with free TTS -> MP3 apps.

If you have a Mac I think iMovie has some sort of VoiceOver thing you can use to have a synthetic voice. On PC it's a bit more complicated, but there are some cheap high-quality text-to-speech engines at www.ivona.com that you can use with free TTS -> MP3 apps.

Nah, don't have a Mac. I probably don't have the time to be adding synthetic speech manually, anyway; rather than that I'd add written text, perhaps via Youtube's captions. But I don't have the time for that either... :D

I don't even have any desktop recording software. Does everyone use Fraps, or is there a better, hopefully free alternative (I know there's a free version of Fraps but i dislike the forced overimposed "Fraps" text).

ShaneB

Fantastic fantastic post Weltall Zero. My Steam review mentions that it's an easy game to get into much like the famous image suggests, but your post clearly shows how much depth there is.

Well done!

Enco

Just got the game and am loving it. Forgot some stuff from the tutorial though.

What's the point of manning certain areas? What does that give you and how can you see what it gives you?

How many stages are there?

Do lasers have unlimited ammo?

Mindlog

What's the point of manning certain areas? What does that give you and how can you see what it gives you?

You can open up the map to see how many sectors (stages) there are (8.)

Crew can man the following: Cockpit, Engines, Shields and Weapons.
When they are in the room they will be working at a tiny little console. As those systems are used the crewman gain experience. Their experience will give bonuses to that system.

For example:
Shields: Manning increases shield recharge speed by 10% plus 10% for the first mastery level, and 9% for the second.
Weapon Control: Manning reduces charge time (10%->15%->19%).

The Pilot and crew in the Engine Room combine to give you evasion bonuses and recharge your jump drive faster.
*Crew also gain experience from fighting and repairs.

Fantastic fantastic post Weltall Zero. My Steam review mentions that it's an easy game to get into much like the famous image suggests, but your post clearly shows how much depth there is.
Well done!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, there's an amazing amount of depth in FTL; at 40+ hours, I'm still learning stuff! For example, the bonus for upgrading the pilot station is that you get 1/4, then 1/2, of your evade even when it's unmanned. Up until a few hours I though that was quite unnecesary as I NEVER get my pilot out of there under any circumnstances, but I just realized it also applies to when your pilot is busy repairing the cockpit after it being damaged!

Also, I played the Mantis ship for the first time today, and unlocked it's Layout B; I then went on to win the game again. I think I have a quite foolproof strategy that I'll append to my original post tomorrow, in spoiler tags. You need a teleporter and cloak for it, though.

Do lasers have unlimited ammo?

Bonuses for manning each station are shown in the upgrades screen, IIRC. If not there, try mouseovering the station.

Everything has unlimited ammo, except missiles and bombs that use Missiles as universal ammo.

Game is unplayable for me because of the mouse lag...

I mean seriously what the hell.

I have read about that problem before (I myself have zero mouse lag). Here's the link to the issue as reported in their bug tracking system; there are a few solutions posted there and some users report them helping them, so you might want to give them a try:
https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/topics/flt_mouse_cursor_lag

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey Weltall, thanks for posting awesome stuff to keep the FTL community here running a bit longer and providing some feedback for those in need :)
Much appreciated.

Petrie

Banned
What do you guys do about dealing with boardings? I jumped just now, 4 guys were suddenly on my ship, and it seemed I didn't stand a chance. What equipment or whatever am I looking for?

ShaneB

What do you guys do about dealing with boardings? I jumped just now, 4 guys were suddenly on my ship, and it seemed I didn't stand a chance. What equipment or whatever am I looking for?

Upgrade doors first and foremost. It'll obviously delay them when they have to beat down doors. Second point to that, vent whatever rooms they are in to slowly drain the O2, and slowly kill them that way. Thirdly, always try to lead them to the first aid room. You want to be fighting them while you regain health. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
late to the space party. this game is great.

also, 5 dollars from the www.ftlgame.com website right now. that's a marvelous bargain for my euro self. 3.90!

F!ReW!Re

Well seems I'm late to the party as well. Got the game yesterday evening at 21:00'ish.
Next time I looked up it was 2 AM.

I did unlock 2 ships;
- Egi Cruiser
- Zoltan Cruiser

I loved the Egi one at first because it felt like combat was really changed up by not having access to a direct damage weapon and having to rely on the drone.
But that Zoltan Cruiser was even more fun because that Halberd beam just cuts other ships out of the sky!

The funny thing was after a couple of hours of play I felt pretty good about my own abilities (of course I had died a couple of times but still) but I thought I had things pretty much under control.
Well that changed when I jumped into a system with a star going nova and at the same time getting a rebel crew boarding my ship (their own ship was beyond repair it said) and the 4 man rebel crew teleported in and wrecked most of my systems, I was barely able to keep all of my crew members (2 egi, 2 human) alive but having all of my systems completely destroyed.

So I paused the game and took a minute to decide what to do next and see if I could save my ship and crew from this hopeless situation.

I decided to first rush to repair the sensor + O2 systems (both rooms were on fire) and managed to get both systems repaired without getting any of the crew killed (the dude repairing the 02 system had 2 hp left by the time he fixed it).
When the sensors came back online I found out that more than half of my decks were on fire....
Well I was able to repair everything and get on my merry way after that (I think I died within 4 jumps after that because I was outgunned by a mantis fighter if I'm not mistaken)

Anyway, didn't expect to love this game so much and can't wait to get home from work to play some more!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay, so this game doesn't suck. My only problem with it is a problem with the genre: Get-nothing runs. I hate this aspect of randomization.

However, if you're not on a get-nothing run, yet it's obviously not a game-winning run, I like how the achievements and extra ships are there to give you lesser goals to aim for. That is a smart handling of the genre quirks.

F!ReW!Re

Okay, so this game doesn't suck. My only problem with it is a problem with the genre: Get-nothing runs. I hate this aspect of randomization.

However, if you're not on a get-nothing run, yet it's obviously not a game-winning run, I like how the achievements and extra ships are there to give you lesser goals to aim for. That is a smart handling of the genre quirks.

Well roguelikes are like that :) I think they handle it very well with the unlockable ships and layouts!

Hey Weltall, thanks for posting awesome stuff to keep the FTL community here running a bit longer and providing some feedback for those in need :)
Much appreciated.

Thanks! Also thanks a lot for the OT; it's a shame I jumped late into this and missed most of the original fun. But I'll try to make up for that!
Also, feel free to use anything I post here if you think it would be useful in the OP. If not, that's perfectly OK too. :)

Upgrade doors to level 2 almost first thing in the game, it's suicide to play without them and they're only 20 scrap. Aside from that, vent the air from the rooms they're in AND the rooms they can get to, if you can, and try to herd them towards the medbay. With practice it's quite easy to either let them close enough to the medbay that you can get your guys to/from it quite fast, lead them straight to the medbay, or suffocate them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by get-nothing runs. You mean runs where the game doesn't give you items/scrap/etc, or runs when you don't unlock anything?

Also, I don't know about "lesser goals". I've finished th game 4-5 times and I've yet to unlock two ships. I also lucked out with the secret ship, but I can totally see someone with slightly less luck taking quite more to unlock it than finishing the game.

Above all, this is a game that, when you're good enough, you make your own luck. Check my huge-ass tips post for more on that.

Dice

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by get-nothing runs. You mean runs where the game doesn't give you items/scrap/etc
Yes. You go to areas and they're just "nothing here, too bad for you" and you're left without any scrap or finds or people and running out of fuel. It's super lame and just bad luck.

Above all, this is a game that, when you're good enough, you make your own luck.
Bullshit. There is a good amount of knowledge and skill involved, but if you think it's all you when you win, that's some heavy affirmation bias.

fallout

Bullshit. There is a good amount of knowledge and skill involved, but if you think it's all you when you win, that's some heavy affirmation bias.
Not bullshit. The more I played the game, the more I consistently made it to the end. A lot of it has to do with risk mitigation (which Weltall Zero has explained in previous posts).

I also wonder how often people think they're "screwed", but actually still have a decent shot. I'm managed to pull myself out of some really shitty situations. E.g., the first time I beat the game, early on I had lost 2 crewmembers, my hull was almost shot and I barely any fuel left. Still, I kept chugging on and turned it around.

I've now finished compiling my last sector tips. Unfortunately my tips post is too long to append those, so I'll just paste them here.

LAST SECTOR

I would recommend not to read any of these until you've at least reached the last sector on your own, as it will spoil the entirety of it. Only read this if you've got desperately stuck there. Since having to highlight the entire post is a chore, and, well, the game's been out for almost a year at the time of this edit, I've removed the spoiler tags.

The mechanics for the last sector are very different from regular stages. You face the enemy flagship, which jumps once for every two jumps you make (you will know when it's about to jump because a red line will mark the jump; this makes it easy to rendezvous with it). Your goal is to reach it and destroy it before it can get to the base; otherwise it's game over.

Each jump you make will cause some systems to become Rebel-controlled, meaning pretty much the same as in the rest of sectors (hardish fight against a Rebel ship that yields only one fuel as a reward). There is one very important exception to this; if a sector is Rebel-controlled, but the flagship is there, jumping there will prompt the flagship battle exactly as if it wasn't controlled.

Getting back to the base and jumping back seems to repair your hull (but not give you anything else, unlike "repair" nodes). I've only done this once, though.

The flagship has three phases; after each one, it will jump away and you'll have to chase it again. Each time, it will lose some of its rooms and systems, but will gain additional capabilities to compensate. This actually makes stage two and three quite deadlier than stage one.

This is the strategy I've been using lately, to great success.

1) Base requirements for this strategy:
- Teleporter (level 3).
- Cloaking system (level 2 or even 1 is enough).
- Enough crew to man each station AND fight boarding drones.
- Level 3 shields (minimum).
- Engines up to the point of diminishing returns at least (level 5).
- Ideally, any way to disable a system without damaging hull; best of all would be any kind of bomb (except the healing one) and a bunch of missile ammo. You might not come across any bomb, though, so barring that, missiles or ion guns might suffice.
- Barring that, you'll need enough firepower to penetrate a level 4 shield PLUS a defense drone (this may include several ion guns, a few high-burst lasers, or a way to shoot more than one missile at a time, and a bunch of ammo).
- Optionally (but it definitely makes things easier), a drone system with one of the ship defense drones, and/or one anti-personnel drone.
Seems like quite a lot, but really, it's not hard to get most of those as you go.

2) If at ANY time during any stage you are getting badly beaten up, do NOT hesitate to jump away and repair your ship. There's enough time to make a few extraneous jumps and get back to the fight. If your hull is very low, try getting to a repair node or the starbase. Of course, always keep an eye on the flagship's distance to the base and the "remaining jumps" counter (same thing, really).

3) Stage 1 should be very easy with this setup; in fact, you can shutdown the ship 100%. Just teleport two crew to the missile weapon (second one from the right), kill the one human manning it, then destroy the gun. You can do this before almost dropping out of cloak. Once the missiles are out, the rest is quite easier; use the exact same strategy to keep destroying the rest of the guns except for the second one from the left. That is, destroy the three-shot ion gun and the beam, but leave the guy at the multi-burst laser alive. The reason for this is that killing all crew makes an advanced AI to take control of the flagship and slowly repair all systems; we're going to leave exactly one crew (this one gunner) alive to prevent this (thanks to RPG Wizard for the strategy involving leaving this particular crew alive rather than a couple in the main body). With these three guns destroyed and no crew to man them, the flagship can't do a thing to you as long as you have level 3 shields.

4) It gets a bit tricky now and you should exercise patience. As mentioned, I'm assuming you have level three shields at least, so that the laser burst can't even get through them; you can drain all power from the engines now.
Your objective is to kill all the crew in the main body of the ship. There are several ways to do this:
4.a) If you have any bombs, this is reasonably easy; just disable the medbay and send your boarders to any 2x1 room. With mantii, you should kill a couple of crew before they can repair the medbay.
4.b) If you don't have bombs, you'll have to work with what you have. Another strategy that doesn't involve destroying the medbay, but it's considerably riskier and trickier, is as follows: send two boarders (rockmen ideally) to the cockpit, then when one of the crew in there starts moving towards the medbay, send two mantii to the room immediately south of it. This is a 4x4 room that they have to cross diagonally, hopefully giving you enough time to finish off the crew member before he gets to the next room. You might want to destroy the reinforced door connecting those rooms (just send each crew to the opposite room so that all four bang on the door) so that you can teleport them all back in one teleporter jump.

5) In any case, teleport your people back (remember that you can't recall them when the flagship cloak is up, this might cause you to lose a few crew the first times), heal them, rinse and repeat; this may take a bit. Do this until you've killed everyone. If you don't manage to kill everyone, or even nobody, you'll need to have enough firepower to get through 4 shields AND a defense drone; this means a single missile won't cut it.

6) At this point you can go ahead and "destroy" it. It will jump away.

7) Chase it down and get ready for stage two. You will immediately notice that the dead crew stayed dead. Your instinct is probably to use the cloaking device as soon as you enter the fight; do NOT do so! Rather, send two crew members to the missile gun again, and focus your fire on the drone bay. When your crew is done destroying the missile gun, send them to the drone bay to finish it.

8) Whenever you see the message "Power Surge Detected!", wait a bit until it launches its barrage of drones, then power the cloak to level 2 (not 3!) and engage it. A level 2 cloak should protect you from all the drone fire, and drop right before it ends. The reason for not powering it up to level 3 is simple; you want the cloak to drop as soon as the power surge ends, because that way it'll be ready for the next power surge (in the nick of time, too). This means that you should start firing as soon as the barrage ends, to help drop it even faster if there's any time left.

9) Unless you have a defense drone, it is inevitable to receive a boarding drone or two to the face during this phase; they're probably the most annoying/difficult part of the fight. An antipersonnel drone should help if you have one instead (I actually haven't tried that particular approach yet). Otherwise just swarm it in a large room, and hope that you can disable the drone system ASAP.

10) With its missile gun destroyed, the drone bay under control, and the cloak to protect you from power surges, you should take no further damage for now. When your crew are done with the drone bay, have them go to the shields to disable them (most importantly if you can't get through the shield with your weapons).

11) At this point, recall your crew and finish off the ship with your weapons. It will jump away again.

12) The third phase is very similar to the second, with a couple of exceptions. First, it will start off with a heavy duty Zoltan super shield, which will prevent even boarding; this means you'll have to endure more missile barrages until you can eat away at the shield and send your boarders to the missile gun. Also, rather than the drone surge of phase 2, it's power surge will do any of two things; either power back its Zoltan shield, or shoot a huge barrage (around eight shots at once) of either lasers or missiles. In any case, the exact same strategy applies, as the cloak will once again perfectly synchronize with power surges. I feel this stage is actually quite easier than the second one, but don't drop your guard yet. Use the exact same strategy you used in stage two, and you should be victorious.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

As others have said, pull back your negativity about that a bit. You do get in fact get better by playing the game. I can pretty much consistently make it to the end of the game now (aside from beating the boss) with almost anything the game throws at me, which shows that you dont "just" need luck to play the game. Its similar for many others who played this game for 20+ hours. Learning to minimize risks and learning to use small tricks (O2 optimization) lets you overcome quite many hurdles. The game may not seem as deep at first, but it actually has quite a few techniques to master.

Yes. You go to areas and they're just "nothing here, too bad for you" and you're left without any scrap or finds or people and running out of fuel. It's super lame and just bad luck.

Please read my tips, which will allow you to minimize fruitless jumps (go to distress calls, nebulas to delay the fleet, take sector-scouting and fleet-delaying options like the mercenaries, and if possible buy the long-range sensors, they're almost a must). In any case, there is around 3-4 empty beacons on each map, so even hitting them all will leave you with plenty of events to go by (assuming you optimize your route).

Obviously luck plays a role, but I've now finished the game 4-5 times and I pretty much get to the 8th sector every time. Further, and this is more true every time I play, whenever I die it's almost always because of a mistake on my part. There definitely is a higher degree of control than most people realize. With my quote, however, I was actually mostly referring to NOT gamble on events when you don't have a blue option for them.

In any case it's just semantics and personal opinion and I've seen this discussion ("it's just luck") to death in other games (ex. Dark Souls). Let's move on.

Dice

I'll dial back my negativity when people stop acting like I'm just being willfully ignorant. I did read all the tips. I did put in several hours already. I did learn a few things. I do make it far most of the time unless I purposefully gamble for fun. I did not say it was all luck.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'll dial back my negativity when people stop acting like I'm just being willfully ignorant. I did read all the tips. I did put in several hours already. I did learn a few things. I do make it far most of the time unless I purposefully gamble for fun. I did not say it was all luck.
I had the exact same attitude when I first started playing. Once you "get it", its all good.

Luck plays a part, but the dice rolls don't dictate as much as you think. Experience, flexibility, and versatility play much bigger roles in the game than luck.

Toma

I had the exact same attitude when I first started playing. Once you "get it", its all good.

Luck plays a part, but the dice rolls don't dictate as much as you think. Experience, flexibility, and versatility play much bigger roles in the game than luck.

Thats how the Dice rolls.
Bada-bum-tish

Toma

Yeah, why wasn't I informed how good Spacechem is -_-
There it was languishing in my backlog and I just started really playing.

It's pretty good.
As addictive as FTL.
Because you should listen to me when I shout at people!

I could make that rather long, but for the sake of being concise, get GrimrockFTLSpaceChemFrozenSynapseCivCityGrandAgesLoneSurvivorSineMoraEverydayGeniusGalacticCivilizationsIIEndlessSpaceGeneforgeGnomoria.

( Also known as the games who got the TOSA :p)
:)

Especially Frozen Synapse cant be recommended enough, but they are all great.

Also, Toma, I hope you don't mind, but I'm officially stalking you now (i.e. going through your post history to see what you like). I mean, you've made the FTL OT and have a freaking SpaceChem avatar, good taste doesn't get much better than that. :)

I've noticed your love for Dungeons, and I'm willing to give them a try on your word alone despite the, indeed (I know you address this in the OT) low Metacritic score. My only question is: Dungeons 1 or The Dark Lord? I barely have time to play (and FTL doesn't help for sure) so getting both is probably redundant for me when I won't be able to finish even one.

Edit: Screw it, I bought the complete pack. It's only an euro or two more than either game. :p No clue when I'll get around to playing it, however, but I'll let you know.

Also, any other indie game recommendation would be awesome. For my part, I 1000% recommend everyone to get the Build a Greenlight Bundle, which costs 1.50$ and includes the La-Mulana remake, plus two other games of your choice. La-Mulana alone is worth 10$ or more for me, so this is an insane deal (and I've bought it to a handful of friends).

Then we agree; there is a component of luck and a component of skill that minimizes the former. In fact in my latests games I explore almost all beacons. I've noticed that with good planning, you can actually, say, explore the rightmost part of the map staying just ahead of the fleet, then do just one long jump back onto the exit (now Rebel-controlled), brave the Rebel ship, then jump to the next sector. The benefits that you get from the extra 3-4 beacons far outweight having to fight the Rebel ship once.

Also, I just tried the Zoltan Cruiser today for the first time, and whoa, it seems insanely overpowered. The Zoltan Shield itself is quite the augment, but starting with a Halberd Beam? Holy crap! I'm getting the one achievement of not upgrading power until sector 5, and so far it's smooth sailing (any other ship would be completely crippled). I can't see not winning this one game. Had to stop for a bit, will continue later.

balddemon

Banned
Then we agree; there is a component of luck and a component of skill that minimizes the former. In fact in my latests games I explore almost all beacons. I've noticed that with good planning, you can actually, say, explore the rightmost part of the map staying just ahead of the fleet, then do just one long jump back onto the exit (now Rebel-controlled), brave the Rebel ship, then jump to the next sector. The benefits that you get from the extra 3-4 beacons far outweight having to fight the Rebel ship once.

Also, I just tried the Zoltan Cruiser today for the first time, and whoa, it seems insanely overpowered. The Zoltan Shield itself is quite the augment, but starting with a Halberd Beam? Holy crap! I'm getting the one achievement of not upgrading power until sector 5, and so far it's smooth sailing (any other ship would be completely crippled). I can't see not winning this one game. Had to stop for a bit, will continue later.

Famous last words.

Raptomex

I don't have a mind for strategy and usually suck at strategy/tactical games. I keep losing in this game but it's oddly addicting. It's an awesome concept, too. Better than I thought it would be.

Enco

I don't have a mind for strategy and usually suck at strategy/tactical games. I keep losing in this game but it's oddly addicting. It's an awesome concept, too. Better than I thought it would be.
This.

Barely scratched the surface but damn I would love to see this done on a huge scale. I lost two friends on my latest attempt and I was left alone in the ship. I wanted to kill my self but I pushed on. I felt bad for losing my other friends but I found a random guy to come and help me. Sadly we blew up.

Raptomex

This.

Barely scratched the surface but damn I would love to see this done on a huge scale. I lost two friends on my latest attempt and I was left alone in the ship. I wanted to kill my self but I pushed on. I felt bad for losing my other friends but I found a random guy to come and help me. Sadly we blew up.
You can kill yourself? Is that an option? If I know I'm going to lose I just wait for someone to kill me or restart.

Enco

You can kill yourself? Is that an option? If I know I'm going to lose I just wait for someone to kill me or restart.
Yea that's what I meant haha.

I suppose you could just open the doors to space and just stand there. You'll suffocate and die pretty quickly.

Raptomex

Yea that's what I meant haha.

I suppose you could just open the doors to space and just stand there. You'll suffocate and die pretty quickly.
Oh. In reality wouldn't someone get sucked out if they're standing in the room with the open door? That would have been a neat little feature. But suffocating my dude is a good idea. I never thought of that.

Mindlog

Because you should listen to me when I shout at people!

I could make that rather long, but for the sake of being concise, get GrimrockFTLSpaceChemFrozenSynapseCivCityGrandAgesLoneSurvivorSineMoraEverydayGeniusGalacticCivilizationsIIEndlessSpaceGeneforgeGnomoria.

( Also known as the games who got the TOSA :p)
:)

Especially Frozen Synapse cant be recommended enough, but they are all great.
I have most of those already.
Good list!
Sadly we blew up.
It's an oddly comforting state of affairs.

Dice

So when it comes to the final boss, where do you get the weapons you need? Are all the good lasers in mantis areas or something? I got to the second form but couldn't beat him fast enough because I never came across quality lasers or any attack drones at all. I had tons of scrap and in the end just used it on upgrades I didn't need because the stores weren't offering anything.

Enco

Oh. In reality wouldn't someone get sucked out if they're standing in the room with the open door? That would have been a neat little feature. But suffocating my dude is a good idea. I never thought of that.
That would have definitely been cooler but suffocation works well too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So when it comes to the final boss, where do you get the weapons you need? Are all the good lasers in mantis areas or something? I got to the second form but couldn't beat him fast enough because I never came across quality lasers or any attack drones at all. I had tons of scrap and in the end just used it on upgrades I didn't need because the stores weren't offering anything.

Its really not about overall firepower. You have to prioritize targets (and know which targets can't really be touched), know how to defend yourself, and how to be efficient in each of those areas. Even if you don't have the scrap to buy/come across heavier weapons, that scrap is going to something else - that is where you need to be smart and resourceful. Because that scrap is going to get spent simply by the nature of the game. You can do more with a good boarding party, med bay, and an Ion Bomb than you can do with 2 heavy lasers and a beam.

Enco

Another thing the game does right is the soundtrack.

Almost all indie games have a horrendous obnoxious soundtrack. Amazingly FTL has a nice soundtrack that fits brilliantly with the theme. It's not over the top and it sounds good.

Well done to the devs. All those other indie devs should take note. Also take note of how it has depth but simplicity.

Kard8p3

Just bought the game :)

Been interested in this puppy for a while, but never got around to getting it. Super excited to play it!

Double

Second video sold me (n³ one), after TBs I was pretty certain I could live without this game. Damit.

Bought it from their site directly for 3,90€ <3

Achtius

I can't seem to beat the later stages. I can't break through 3 layers shield with my lasers and my starter missile doesn't do enough damage to break their shield :(

So what do you people aim first? Shield? or weapon system?

balddemon

Banned
Haha just got the Pre-Igniter... OP as hell.

Wait til you get the Pre Loader....all your weapons that are powered, charged at the beginning of a fight? yes pls. rare as hell though, only found it for sale twice and received it as a reward once in like 30 games.

EDIT: oops, had the names mixed up....yes, it is OP as hell lol.

Dice

Early on I always hit weapons first. Later on your own shields should be good enough to take a beating and you can usually find a defensive drone to knock out missiles, so you're better off hurting their shields than hitting their weapons while keeping pressure on the broken shields. Though if you were fortunate enough to have found an attack drone, it's much easier to work through the shield layers and hurt their weapon system first. That's usually preferred to missiles because end game pilots dodge too much to rely on those.

Wait til you get the Pre Loader....all your weapons that are powered, charged at the beginning of a fight? yes pls. rare as hell though, only found it for sale twice and received it as a reward once in like 30 games.

EDIT: oops, had the names mixed up....yes, it is OP as hell lol.
The only real anti-boarding device in the game. They should add a teleporter scrambler that at least delays their ability to hop on and fuck shit up.

Dice

In fact in my latests games I explore almost all beacons.
Again, I think you're exaggerating. In every single one of my games there is usually an upper strand of beacons and a lower strand. By time you visit 3 the fleet is already on your ass. Try to squeeze more out of it and the estimation zone is absorbing beacons so their events are nullified. So by what I am seeing, half of the beacons must go unexplored. This is every single playthrough and since the rebels advance by jump turns there is no way you are using skill to get more beacons.

Seriously guys I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. If luck is part of the concept and even the whole genre, you don't have to pretend like it is a much smaller amount than is true.

Its really not about overall firepower. You have to prioritize targets (and know which targets can't really be touched), know how to defend yourself, and how to be efficient in each of those areas. Even if you don't have the scrap to buy/come across heavier weapons, that scrap is going to something else - that is where you need to be smart and resourceful. Because that scrap is going to get spent simply by the nature of the game. You can do more with a good boarding party, med bay, and an Ion Bomb than you can do with 2 heavy lasers and a beam.
Yes, a lot of vague references to tactical foreknowledge that magically appears when you are better at the game. I see. That makes a lot of sense.

A teleporter would indeed have done me a LOT of good against the boss on that run, but when considering to get one at stage 5, I thought the next two stages would have any weapons whatsoever to offer rather than two extra crew. Maybe if I had bought the teleporter, those extra crew events wouldn't have generated and stores would have generated a nice offensive drone that I wouldn't be able to buy because I spent my scrap on a teleporter, and then since it was almost useless, shield upgrades to survive.

The point is that you don't know what you're going to get later. You can have a strategic plan and try to adjust as it is or is not working out, but things are not nearly as skill-based as I think you guys are coloring it. There is still a hell of a lot of luck in coming across good things in the right timing. What do you do when a store has what you need but it's the only jump point that far left and it's too early? There are some ahead, but to get enough scrap would take enough time that the fleet would eat up the store? You move on. But then the next store has garbage, so then what?

Then garbage is what luck gave you. Unless there is a magical whole-map scanner that tells you what items you'll get, it doesn't make any sense to act like it's skill when you find good things. You can try and maximize what you do come across, but getting the actually good shit that is actually useful in end-game has all to do with good fortune of even being able to set your eyes upon one in your meager space-life.

Danj

Also, I just tried the Zoltan Cruiser today for the first time, and whoa, it seems insanely overpowered. The Zoltan Shield itself is quite the augment, but starting with a Halberd Beam? Holy crap!

Trouble with beams is, you gotta get the enemy shields down first, or they do no damage.

Top Bottom