• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I need to look into whether their game is intended to offer more than anthro char designs. Hopefully they have some interesting mechanics to pair with that.

I need to look into whether their game is intended to offer more than anthro char designs. Hopefully they have some interesting mechanics to pair with that.

If Maximillian is involved in any way, even as a silent advisor, I'd bet it'd have solid fighting mechanics.

It's a good start. It seems you knew what you wanted, so you drew it. My only suggestion would be, start learning how to construct drawings out of base primitives. It'll go a long way towards adding three-dimensionality to your drawings, and helping you build a firm foundation for the eventual shape. It'll also help alleviate the "template" look.

Mmm! Base primitives? Now I'm curious about it - what's that? *has forgotten years-ago lessons*

Mmm! Base primitives? Now I'm curious about it - what's that? *has forgotten years-ago lessons*

Bear in mind, I'm no expect, but the basic idea is to build up your drawing from primitive shapes like spheres (balls), cylinders, pyramids, cones, and so on. When you do so, you're giving depth and weight to the structure. You can squash, stretch, bend and shape the primitives to suit what you're going for.

GN44j81.png

(Oh gods, it's been so long since I've drawn anything, I'm super stiff)

I tend to start off with a "gesture" myself, a single line of motion that indicates direction and stance, but that's just me. Then I work out the pose using a basic "skeleton", which is really just a shorthand you develop over time. There are lots of great books I can recommend for learning how to build up a body structure quickly using simple shapes, but for now, my horrid style will suffice:

9AVwCpl.png

A good tip someone once gave me, is figure out how your character is standing, all the way down to where the feet touch the ground, because that'll help a lot with the weight of the character, setting the center of gravity, which leads to a more natural look. You can always tell when someone's drawn a character from the head down, and ended up with the feet sticking off the page. :p

c1E2VhV.png

The number one tip? Flip your drawing horizontally very often, it'll help a lot with spotting things that seem out of proportion. As you're drawing, you get "acclimated" to how it looks, and it starts looking "right" even if it's not. Flipping it gives your brain a fresh look at it.

CDqRpVE.png

Practice drawing gestures for poses and such, and building up things out of primitives, and you'd be surprised how quickly you progress. Try to stay loose, and have fun with your lines. Don't worry too much about getting proportions right, or finding the right line and curve, that'll come with time.

Geeze. First time I've drawn in months. I gotta get back on that horse.

All right, time to start with drawing with base primitives in mind... Golly gee, well, I think I'm gonna need all the time drawing to make things just right. Hmm...

*starts drawing one of his plushies on the desk*

*also starts to sketch "blank" characters for proportions and poses*

(Whoa, sorry for making you draw!)

Nah, I should thank you for getting me drawing a bit again :p

Hehe.

Speaking of drawing things, I think I got a good shape going on for what will eventually become the first "proper" drawing for my... future fursona, so to speak. (Whoa, it's like a completely different level.)

I probably need to keep drawing the same thing over and over for a while, though, before I arrive to something I really like.

How should I handle the "clean-up" phase, once I've arrived on a well-proportioned sketch? Redraw? (I work on paper and pen.)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've made a Mario Kart 8 weekly tournament for non-GAF friends that also has some people from this part of GAF in it. I don't mind if general GAF users wander in. It's set to run every sunday starting at 14:00 to the end of the day. I'll adjust the race count if we end up getting a lot of players.

Quote to see the code.

I was kind of bored and ended up reading the forum archives just for kicks, and...

Uh...

I am blushing! Sometimes I do feel embarrassed reading other people's stuff...

Either way, sometimes I keep wondering how did I get to be a furry in the first place.

I kind of... uh... feel strange knowing that I'm probably one.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hey! Just generally sayin' "'sup?" to my furrageous GAFfer cohorts. I'm curious.

What's the roll call?

How many furs do we got on GAF?

How many of us attend cons?

How many of us lived in Japan and spent time in the kemono scene?

Looking forward to replies!

Aokage

No furry gaming love?

Maybe I'mma have to encourage the multiple, multiple game industry furs to post here.

Dachande

No furry gaming love?

Maybe I'mma have to encourage the multiple, multiple game industry furs to post here.

Hey, I did tell you on Twitter (hi) that we're mostly IRC-based these days. :p

As much as people tell me there's a lot of games industry furs, I have to say I don't know any others in real life, but I suppose I do try and keep a low profile to not out myself. The games industry is very small and people are judgemental. I've never posted in this thread before for that reason.

Hey! Just generally sayin' "'sup?" to my furrageous GAFfer cohorts. I'm curious.

What's the roll call?

How many furs do we got on GAF?

How many of us attend cons?

How many of us lived in Japan and spent time in the kemono scene?

Looking forward to replies!

Red The Hunter here on GAF, but I go by Kiba within the fandom
Here's a badge of my fursona done by an artist during a recent furmeet...

Hard to say on how many there are, since while there is a small group of us here, they're maybe more. But even then it's only like maybe a few more than our already small group.

Haven't attended any furry cons yet, will be in September with RainFurrest, the Washington State Furry Con.

Nope, would love to go to Japan someday, dunno about living there though.

No furry gaming love?

I do have my Little Tail Bronx Collection of stuff that I've bought over the last year and a half.
There are a couple who work in the industry that I know sort of though here on the thread and through chatting with them on the IRC. But really like Dachande said, Furry still has a negative stigma attached to itself, along with a decent amount of vitriol towards it as well. I'm not in the game industry myself, but I can see why some game industry furs are very cautious about being open about it.

Aokage

Hey, I did tell you on Twitter (hi) that we're mostly IRC-based these days. :p

As much as people tell me there's a lot of games industry furs, I have to say I don't know any others in real life, but I suppose I do try and keep a low profile to not out myself. The games industry is very small and people are judgemental. I've never posted in this thread before for that reason.

You did you did. Western game dev is so not judgmental, btw. I know several out furs in major positions.

Okay, to download an IRC client! IRC. Dang. Going back ten-plus years!

What time-ish is the channel most active, by the way?

Aokage

Red The Hunter here on GAF, but I go by Kiba within the fandom

RESPECT to that Solatorobo collection! How'd you get the official dojin/fanbooks from outside Japan? All the merch, really :3 I was lucky enough to snag it all while I still lived there.

And, honestly, that 2000s furry stigma is going away. Almost all the industry furs I know are open about it.

RESPECT to that Solatorobo collection! How'd you get the official dojin/fanbooks from outside Japan? All the merch, really :3 I was lucky enough to snag it all while I still lived there.

And, honestly, that 2000s furry stigma is going away. Almost all the industry furs I know are open about it.
Thanks, I'm very much a big fan of the games, along with this was how I got into the fandom.
I got the dojin though Amazon Japan, as CyberConnect 2 was selling both of them to fans who couldn't make it Comiket. Fanbooks I got through another person on GAF who lives in Japan and was going to Tokyo for the weekend. Asked him if he could get these for me while they were in Akihabara during the trip. CyberConnect2 does sell their merch not only through their own online store and Amazon Japan, but they do sell in a few Japanese stores like Akihabara's Kotobukiya.

The rest of collection along with a set of two wall scrolls of the characters from the game all came from amazon japan. Like I said before, they sell all their merch on there, though I did have to use a forwarding service just to get most of it here. Because they only ship CDs, books, DVDs, and Blu-Rays outside Japan. Pain in the butt, but was worth in the end.

I would recommend that you check out their Kemono Fanpage on Facebook, along with their English CyberConnect2 Facebook as well, as they're very much kemono fans who have a love for it as well, and will talk about upcoming releases of either their Kemono or Solatorobo/Little Tail Bronx related merch from time to time.

Top Bottom