• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Nice to meet you, Aokage! I've been kind of a hibernating furry over the past several years, but have experienced a small renaissance thanks to FurryGAF here. I've been to a couple cons, but they were over a decade ago. Need to get my fuzzy butt out there and do stuff.

Every day is furry gaming love, when you play certain MMOs anyway:

NIWPLCm.png

(via: http://alzp.deviantart.com/art/Welcome-to-the-Gun-Show-461708193)

Hey! Just generally sayin' "'sup?" to my furrageous GAFfer cohorts. I'm curious.

What's the roll call?

How many furs do we got on GAF?

How many of us attend cons?

How many of us lived in Japan and spent time in the kemono scene?

Looking forward to replies!

I've apparently been passing by a con when I was commuting to school for the past 4 years, but I've never actually went due to other things happening at the same time. Maybe I'll attend next year, but we'll see...

The last time I traveled to Japan was years ago on a family trip. Didn't have a single clue about the kemono scene until about 2 years ago.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm sort of like an asteroid that occasionally passes by the Furry star system on my way through the galaxy.

No cons, no fursonas, no costumes, no "scenes", no qt fur bf.

CC2 is selling doujin? o_O

Yep, they call it an Artbook, but it's basically a Dōjinshi, since they have both professional and amateur artists (including a section for CyberConnect 2 in-house artists) doing art for their books. Along with they sell them at Comiket, the largest Dōjinshi convention in Japan. The Solatorobo ones are pretty much rare as they were only sold for a limited print run, both from their Comiket booth and online. I was actually lucky in getting the first one, as they reprinted that one for that occasion to go along with other one that they were selling from the recent Comiket.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yep, they call it an Artbook, but it's basically a Dōjinshi, since they have both professional and amateur artists (including a section for CyberConnect 2 in-house artists) doing art for their books. Along with they sell them at Comiket, the largest Dōjinshi convention in Japan. The Solatorobo ones are pretty much rare as they were only sold for a limited print run, both from their Comiket booth and online. I was actually lucky in getting the first one, as they reprinted that one for that occasion to go along with other one that they were selling from the recent Comiket.

wouldn't that be weird, you see CC2 selling their artbook in comiket not realizing there's a Red doujin somewhere

Refyref

I just like looking, I don't participate actively in the furry community.

what games did you pick up because it has... uh... furries >_>

I did that with Etrian Odyssey 4

I do consider that points in favor of games, but I don't make them high-priority. Usually I never get to buying them due to a limited video game budget, but I think there were a few time I bought some small games due to that, when I had money to spare.

Every day is furry gaming love, when you play certain MMOs anyway:

NIWPLCm.png

(via: http://alzp.deviantart.com/art/Welcome-to-the-Gun-Show-461708193)

My character is a plant person, does that count? :p (I need to get back to this game.)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Thanks, I'm very much a big fan of the games, along with this was how I got into the fandom.
I got the dojin though Amazon Japan, as CyberConnect 2 was selling both of them to fans who couldn't make it Comiket. Fanbooks I got through another person on GAF who lives in Japan and was going to Tokyo for the weekend. Asked him if he could get these for me while they were in Akihabara during the trip. CyberConnect2 does sell their merch not only through their own online store and Amazon Japan, but they do sell in a few Japanese stores like Akihabara's Kotobukiya.

The rest of collection along with a set of two wall scrolls of the characters from the game all came from amazon japan. Like I said before, they sell all their merch on there, though I did have to use a forwarding service just to get most of it here. Because they only ship CDs, books, DVDs, and Blu-Rays outside Japan. Pain in the butt, but was worth in the end.

I would recommend that you check out their Kemono Fanpage on Facebook, along with their English CyberConnect2 Facebook as well, as they're very much kemono fans who have a love for it as well, and will talk about upcoming releases of either their Kemono or Solatorobo/Little Tail Bronx related merch from time to time.

Indeed! I gained all the Solatorobo merch while in Japan. But this is valuable info for Occidental dwellers.

Aokage

Nice to meet you, Aokage! I've been kind of a hibernating furry over the past several years, but have experienced a small renaissance thanks to FurryGAF here. I've been to a couple cons, but they were over a decade ago. Need to get my fuzzy butt out there and do stuff.

Do it! I get to most cons worldwide, let's hang out!

Aokage

QFT. Was only able to get them when I lived in Japan.

Aokage

Apologies for all the posts. So glad to see a furry community within GAF! I may know plenty of game industry and straightforward game aficionado furs, but it's a delight to find them on my favorite net forum.

I believe, when it comes to the Internet, there's gonna be, well, pretty much... everything.

Truth to be told, though... Every time I saw the OT community way, way before, I seem to almost always see this thread.

My character is a plant person, does that count? :p (I need to get back to this game.)

That's actually been open to debate within the fandom for the longest time. Since the late 80s, people have been undecided if non-animal 'anthros' count as 'fandom'. Insects, sentient plants, ooze, shoe, etc. (And you do get all types). Jury still seems out on the matter.

Heck, I've known people in the furry fandom, lifestylers, with thousand dollar fursuits, who would argue that this is NOT a 'furry':

So by this point, I don't think it really matters - as long as you're having fun. :p

As for Guild Wars 2, if you're not already in the GAF guild, I highly recommend it. Bunch of amazing people, always willing to help.

Refyref

That's actually been open to debate within the fandom for the longest time. Since the late 80s, people have been undecided if non-animal 'anthros' count as 'fandom'. Insects, sentient plants, ooze, shoe, etc. (And you do get all types). Jury still seems out on the matter.

Heck, I've known people in the furry fandom, lifestylers, with thousand dollar fursuits, who would argue that this is NOT a 'furry':

So by this point, I don't think it really matters - as long as you're having fun. :p

As for Guild Wars 2, if you're not already in the GAF guild, I highly recommend it. Bunch of amazing people, always willing to help.

Well, if you go by the word "anthropomorphic", then everything that is humanized (either physically or mentally) counts. I was just joking that the Sylvari are the odd one out. (In that picture and in general.)
As for the GAF guild, I'm already there, since a GAFfer was the one who convinced me to buy the game in the first place.

Now, I think I've managed to never ask this. Gonna fix this now.

What's your avatar, Miktar?

It'as me (Miktar), the minotaurus rex.

4YqIXNc.jpg

(Art by Lumaberry because my own art is pants.)

For example:

Double bleh.

As for the GAF guild, I'm already there, since a GAFfer was the one who convinced me to buy the game in the first place.

Ah, neat. ^.. ^ Well, Season 2 of Living World is starting up on the 1st, so it's a pretty good time to jump back in and see what's up. If you log in during each Living World update (every two weeks) it unlocks the Chapter so you can replay it later - if you miss one, you'll have to pay some gold or gems to unlock it later.

4YqIXNc.jpg

Mmm hmm! I actually kind of like how reasonably balanced the muscular build is.

Me, I think... perhaps I should try practicing again once I can draw again, starting next month... then perhaps I'll try drawing my own fursona again. Let's hope I didn't get rusty. (Can't exactly draw right now.)

I probably should get to learn drawing hands and feet. Any human or human-like drawing will do for the former, but the latter? I'm thinking something dragon or dinosaur-like.

In the meantime, I'm also planning to take my second full sketch and finish it on the computer. What's a good drawing tool on Windows, assuming that I'm going to work with only a mouse? A program that allows me to set a line with variable width using points and curves would be very nice.

Haly

hah, just cuz you only specified bf
Ah, yeah, that's because I see furrydom as a kind of a gay thing.

I have never, not once, entertained the notion of a qt fur gf. It just doesn't fit in my mental framework.

Furs = cocks

Ah, yeah, that's because I see furrydom as a kind of a gay thing.

Nowadays it's a pretty even split, I'd say, leaning only slightly more towards homosexuality. In the late 90s and early 00s, sure, it was still very much mostly a gay male fandom (70-80%), but not so much anymore. I mean, you see families with their kids (the parents are furs) at conventions.

Haly

Well, my only interaction with the fandom is the art sites and it's pretty gay there!

Even in Japan, MaleKemo seems to be the majority.

Haly

I... could be

>________>

(All the good furartists are gay u~u)

Refyref

4YqIXNc.jpg

I've always wondered what was the full picture. Pretty good one, I should follow that artist.

Ah, neat. ^.. ^ Well, Season 2 of Living World is starting up on the 1st, so it's a pretty good time to jump back in and see what's up. If you log in during each Living World update (every two weeks) it unlocks the Chapter so you can replay it later - if you miss one, you'll have to pay some gold or gems to unlock it later.

Is the ability to replay it new? I haven't heard about that for the first season. (Then again, I only started playing after it was over.)

Hmm...

Looks quite right up my alley, but I was wondering how does one draw/set variable-width lines - think a line that starts with width a and ends with width b. Time to dig in...

I'm sure Inkscape can do that, but I've not used it in a long time.

Is the ability to replay it new? I haven't heard about that for the first season. (Then again, I only started playing after it was over.)

Yeah, Season 2's 'replay' function is new for Season 2. Basically, every two weeks there will be permanent content added to your 'Journal', which can be replayed or if you miss the unlock period, unlocked via gold/gems after the fact. That's in addition to the evolving overworld content that's temporary (because time moves in real-time in the GW2 universe).

You can read more about the upcoming Story Journal here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-story-journal/

Haly

C7SO5qI.jpg

I don't really feel that way about it though, but I don't put in the effort, so yeah.

Hnngh, they're cute, and they don't look generic fur-faces. You know the type, prominent animal nose, triangular Disney/Archie eyes, Dreamworks Shit Eating Grin™.

C7SO5qI.jpg

I don't really feel that way about it though, but I don't put in the effort, so yeah.

It's the thought that counts :)

I'm planning to... uh, practice drawing heads (and by extension faces) after redrawing my fursona on the computer.

Hnngh, they're cute, and they don't look generic fur-faces. You know the type, prominent animal nose, triangular Disney/Archie eyes, Dreamworks Shit Eating Grin™.

Guess first-timers like me are especially guilty.

I can guarantee that if you keep drawing, and regularly, you'll see improvement. I find it especially helps to look back at your older stuff as you go. Don't be afraid to experiment. If you see something you like, a way someone drew something, try drawing it that way yourself. Don't be afraid to use photo references for poses.

An example of my own 'evolution'.

1998ish

UbWgu1B.jpg

Mwfu1Bv.jpg

Top, 2002, bottom, 2011 redraw.

ytB5ERm.jpg

PEkWj1X.jpg

Ct7glCt.jpg

GdP0UDk.jpg

fzEdkXX.jpg

KSH1meX.jpg

XsPCwca.jpg

xcer6z2.jpg

n8ld3y3.jpg

Some years will be better, others will be worse. You'll might find yourself in a rut, where your older stuff looks better than your newer stuff, etc. Welcome to art. :p

Haly

Guess first-timers like me are especially guilty.

Yeah, I mean, not to put you down anything but you learn from the kind of media you consume so it takes a while to develop your own particular style. I feel like Miktar has his, and it's pretty unique, whereas a lot of experienced fur artists never break out of the mold I just described, which leads to a lot of artistic stagnancy in the scene (and in my feeds), because it's the only thing younger artists see and that's all they can learn from.

I'm no artist myself, but I look at a lot of art. I think it helps if you diversify the range of 2D drawings you get consume, such as comics or manga. Onta, for example, developed his entire style from Po-ju, a veteran hentai artist who also has a bit of a furry/kemono streak, and in turn, Onta himself influences his fans to draw in the same way he does, particularly with regards to faces and bodies
and cocks

As Miktar said, the most important thing is to just keep practicing and experimenting and you'll eventually develop your own unique style, as long as you work at it.

Sometime, I'm not even sure if I have a personal style in the first place, but I do like to play it loose.

In the meantime, I'm experimenting with the Calligraphy Tool strokes on a blank canvas. I'm still trying to find the correct line style for the inevitable digitizing. It feels so weird to be in so much control of what you're drawing, even without an actual drawing tablet.

I probably will see a result next month.

Maybe I should experiment sketching other poses in the meantime.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as art style goes, it has been my observation that the culture surrounding commissions and personal characters in the fandom tends to enforce homogenization. It seems popular for fans to get precise character reference sheets, and demand artists render their character(s) in a specific style.

It might seem odd at first, commissioning an artist to ape the style of another. But I have seen a lot of people desperate for art from a particular personality but they can't afford it or don't want to wait for availability. I have heard my fair share of griping from artists about commissioners who don't care about any style other than that of <insert> famous artist and pick at the work until it's tweaked to be a carbon copy.

It all just helps spread a few particular ways of cartooning.

Haly

I have never heard of that although I can see how that would lead to stagnation yeah.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have never heard of that although I can see how that would lead to stagnation yeah.

In all fairness I once got impression it's not like a ton of fans go around overtly saying "copy X style". More that they don't know the difference between character detail and stylization. So they have their commissioned work tweaked until "it looks right". Which often means a narrow range of style, especially when it comes to character faces and expressions.

I think I'm probably better off with doing my own style, even if said style does end up looking similar to others. I prefer having things that I do actually enjoy... doing things that I enjoy.

I dunno how the "finalized" style will look like, though. I think I've found a line style that I like, but nobody knows how things will look like, even then. (Also gotta figure out how to shade things properly. I might consider taking the colourization and shading out from Inkscape and use something else.)

D-Pad

@ Kai Dracon, I've run into one commissioner like that. It's not fun at all trying to mimic someone else's style. I'd try to add some originality to make it less like fanart and more personal but they'd just link me a picture and say "more like this please". Found myself saying "fuck it" and just rushing to finish and get it over with.

=------------------=
Small dump
=------------------=

(Click images for fullsize)
&#12516;&#12489;&#12522; (Sauce)

=------------------=
Small dump
=------------------=

I particularly like the second and third ones, but I guess that's just me being myself.

I've always found that I prefer styles that are relatively simple, and yet still have sufficient detail. I suspect I won't be able to deliver on that front for now.

Speaking of the drawings, what is supposed to be the third picture? Looks like something mixed.

There's been something else I've been thinking lately. When did lizard people start being a thing, anyway? I think I'm just a bit curious about things like that.

Haly

Might have its roots in the Naga, reptilian anthros from Hindu mythology.

Serpents are very prominent in ancient cultures so it was inevitable that someone would cross humans with snakes.

Top Bottom