• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE |OT| 4 Players, 1 Co-op

8byte

Banned
UVukUDu.png

Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Release Date: 28 May 2013
Players: 1-4, Split-Screen, Drop in/Drop Out
Developer: Insomniac Games
Publisher: EA Partners (RIP)

gwpbluM.jpg
4sTkog7.png

What’s a “Fuse” and who are you? Fuse is a 4-player class based co-op shooter. Team work is a huge focus, especially in Echelon mode, and it’s pretty darn fun, I think. Don’t take my word for it though, make up your own mind, there’s a demo available that has online co-op on both 360 and PS3, give it a shot and see if it’s your thing. As for me, I’m just a dude that everyone on NeoGAF hates. Love you all, just a little bit. Full disclosure: I'm a fan of Insomniac, and a fan of the game. They've invited me to events to play the game. I played it, and I enjoyed it. Now, you know. I'm a fan who plays games.

tumblr_mjlclk98IZ1qczlqfo1_400.gif

For the OT try to keep the discussion of how much you think the game will bomb to one of the 40 other threads dedicated to the topic.

But..what makes Fuse "different"? - Well, the biggest thing that I feel differentiates it is the "Leap" mechanic. In most co-op shooters, if you play Solo, you main a character and that's it. In Fuse, you can swap between any character at any time, and upgrade them accordingly as you wish. It makes the combat sandbox feel more...dynamic? It's very interesting to encounter a situation where you need a shield, and then swap back to Dalton and use him to protect an objective or player, and then swap back to another character to get on the defensive, or revive / heal players. Often times I'll jump to whoever is nearest a downed opponent, revive them, and help them kill baddies for a bit, then swap back. It's really fun, and definitely makes things feel a bit different from other shooters. I still think co-op is the best way to go, but this makes solo play much more interesting and manageable.

Single Player - It’s there. You can play it, alone. You can play it with a friend on your couch. You can also play it with a friend on your couch, and some friends on the internet. It’s neat, or something like that. Shoot stuff together with big guns and cheesy amounts of blood.

Echelon Mode - Echelon mode is a pretty standard take on the “Horde” mode that’s been popular in a lot of 3rd person shooters these days, with a small twist. What makes it different from the others is its difficulty, and the random configuration of objectives. Rounds 1-5 and 7-11 are all randomly assigned one of 5 objectives, with a random assortment of enemies to accompany them. The placement of the objective is also “random” (in that it will be in one of several hot spots). It offers up a decent amount of replay value. Players compete for Credits, which are dropped from enemies as they die. Rounds 6 and 12 are “boss rounds”. Bosses have a time limit attached, and if killed within the time limit will yield a great deal of bonus credits. These are the objectives in Echelon Mode:

• Weapons Cache - A weapons cache is dropped in a random location that players can open for ammo and heavy weapons. Enemies will attempt to destroy the cache before players can open it. If it is destroyed, you don't lose, but you don't gain any weapons or ammo.
  • Fuse Canister - Defend the beacon, basically. Fuse Canister has health, so enemies attack it. If it explodes, you lose. While in the AOE, your Fuse weapons will regen ammo, making it easier to defend, but also confining you to a small space where enemies can target ou easily.
  • Transport - Open a Fuse container, and transport the canister from one part of the map to the other. The canister regens your Fuse, and deteriorates over time. If it runs out of health, you lose.
  • Carnage - Basic "kill all the enemies" round. My least favorite, unless it shows up in later stages with tougher enemies, then it's kinda fun.
  • High Value Target - You have to kill one (or multiple) heavies, who will continue to call in reinforcements until they are defeated. Kill 'em quick!
  • Boss Wave - These can get pretty intense, as you'll often end up fighting bosses, heavies, and tons of troops If you can finish the mission in a set period of time, you'll be rewarded with TONS of Fuse Credits to buy new shit. If not, you get diddly and you should definitely get better.

Characters:

Dalton Brooks
wu1r7Lf.jpg

Weapon of Choice
: Mag Shield

• The “Mag Shield” is basically the tool that enables Dalton to be the “tank” or “heavy” of the group. Instead of him taking massive amounts of damage, he blocks the damage to both himself, and team members. The shield can also set out a large burst that turns enemies into...uh...jelly? It can also drop a second stationary shield to protect objectives and players. Play this guy if you're into being a supporting role as well as a killing machine from time to time.

Izzy Sinclair
zXQ0lQF.jpg

Weapon of Choice: Shatter Gun

• Basically, this gun crystallizes enemies, and when you upgrade it, it’ll work as an AOE weapon, crystallizing many enemies at the same time if they’re in close proximity. She can also toss out a healing beacon that will heal / revive players, making her the go-to medic. Play Izzy if you want to be the medic, have serious crowd control power, and enjoy being a supporting role.

Jacob Kimball
uhLtgUJ.jpg

Weapon of Choice: Arc Shot

• This is basically the “distance” weapon, that has really high DPS. Head shots are an insta kill. Later, you can unlock the abilitity to set “traps” with his bolts. Secondary fire will detonate them, burning anything in close proximity. He’s the damage dealer of the group, and will be killing people left and right. You like to kill? You'll like Jacob. He's 100% DPS, and has zero support, all about the body count here.

Naya Devereaux
TTU6iFE.jpg

Weapon of Choice: Warp Rifle

• The Warp Rifle is usually everyone’s favorite. It creates a black hole once enough rounds are pumped into a concentrated area (a person) and makes them implode on themselves. You can "paint" targets, and they'll chain together when the explosions are close enough, meaning you can paint a large group of enemies, and then take them down in seconds. Very satisfying. Naya can also cloak, making her a decent medic, and a great asset in Echelon mode.

Progression - Each character can reach level 35, giving them 34 skill points to spend in the skill tree. These power up their stats (health, damage) and their abilities (secondary abilities with weapons, etc). There are also “Team perks” which give your team a number of abilities, and these can also be upgraded. Team Perks are unlocked using the Fuse Credits.

Fuse Credits - Fuse credits are good for buying team perks (which have several levels), player skins, and weapon skins. You can collect them scattered through the Campaign (not much) or Echelon (lots).

Collectibles? - Fuse has “Intel” that you can pick up during the campaign. Some of it is audio (so it plays automatically) and some of it is text / picture based.

Online pass? Nope. None, nada, zip, zilch. Does have Origin though, and Pre-order bonuses that aren’t available as unlocks in the game.

NOTICE: I'm strapped for time today, so I will update the OP more today and over memorial day, in time for launch. If you have questions about Echelon Mode, some aspects of Single Player, or the demo, shoot them my way. I've played it, and can probably answer most questions relating to the game, etc.

Tucah

you speak so well
I liked the demo but my backlog is already pretty big. I'll buy it cheap over the summer or something.

8byte

Banned
I liked the demo, and will probably buy it. Will be interesting to see how the game is received.

I'm guessing 7s, 8s highest from media. People who enjoy the demo will enjoy the game much more, specifically, Echelon mode.

I don't think anyone is expecting it to sell gangbusters or anything like that.

Kade

Some1 post that epic win funy clearance sticker pic!

Hoping I can get some friends to play this with me since it seems like it's a good way to waste a weekend.

8byte

Banned
Never got around to downloading the demo before today. Fixing that right now.

If you can, try to find someone to play with you. The game scales with players, so the experience with one player isn't necessarily the same with 4. not just because you're playing co-op, but it legitimately gets "tougher" with more players.

Can we please keep the degrading comments that don't contribute to discussion out of this thread? I just want one Fuse thread where it's actually intelligent discussion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can we please keep the degrading comments that don't contribute to discussion out of this thread? I just want one Fuse thread where it's actually intelligent discussion.

So, we can't say the game is the definition of mediocre and doesn't really do anything too interesting besides the grenade revive mechanic?

Clean, simple, informative OT. I like.

Should mention leap though, as thats one thing that makes this co-op game pretty unique (outside of something like Marvel Ultimate Alliance). Being able to instantly swap between any AI controlled characters is what put this game over the top for me, and gives it solo value, while also adding a twist to playing co-op with less than four players.

Also, Echelon mode being soloable is a plus in my book too.

Stuff that you did mention that draws me in: The progression system is the same and persists across all game modes. And none of the customization unlocks require microtransactions. And the dynamic swapping of objectives in Echelon. And the size of Echelon maps.

8byte

Banned

Ignore lists, my man ;) They're the wave of the future! Really though, it'll clean up your browsing experience if it bothers you a lot. Just my two cents.

Clean, simple, informative OT. I like.

Should mention leap though, as thats one thing that makes this co-op game pretty unique (outside of something like Marvel Ultimate Alliance). Being able to instantly swap between any AI controlled characters is what put this game over the top for me, and gives it solo value, while also adding a twist to playing co-op with less than four players.

Also, Echelon mode being soloable is a plus in my book too.

Ah, crap! Will definitely put this in the OT. No idea how in the hell I forgot it! Busy days and long nights are definitely getting to me =\

Alienous

Whatever you say, boss.

I have never bought an Insomniac title (didn't have cash in the PS2 days, just got a PS3) but I am buying one because of this thread. You guys are absolute jerks and nobody wants to see another talented developer go down.

jstevenson, I'm going into debt this month for you guys.

Some people find it hard to believe that the genuine reception is that the game is mediocre. I won't give the game undue credit because there is a fantastic developer behind it, I'll rate it on it's own merits. We will see over the next few days, and I'll try to rent it to see. I've yet to play a un-fun co-operative game, so we will see what happens.

But I agree. The OT should discuss FUSE, good or bad.

8byte

Banned
Demo was awful, like really bad and bland, mindless AI and janky controls and gunplay with outdated cover system and really horrible animation.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "outdated" cover system? I haven't played the newest gears, so I'm not sure if there are things I've missed. I felt it was pretty responsive and fluid, but to each their own.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the OT try to keep the discussion of how much you think the game will bomb to one of the 40 other threads dedicated to the topic.

Ruprit

Demo was awful, like really bad and bland, mindless AI and janky controls and gunplay with outdated cover system and really horrible animation.

What irked me the most, from the demo, is that the two female characters use practically the same model, apart from a different hair style and skin color. It struck me as very lazy.

Grisby

I need a tps shoot shoot bang bang so I'm picking this up come Tuesday. It'll be the first MP centric co-op game I've ever bought. I suppose I should create my own games so that I can always play as Izzy (at least till 35).

Whatever you say, boss.

Some people find it hard to believe that the genuine reception is that the game is mediocre. I won't give the game undue credit because there is a fantastic developer behind it, I'll rate it on it's own merits. We will see over the next few days, and I'll try to rent it to see. I've yet to play a un-fun co-operative game, so we will see what happens.

But I agree. The OT should discuss FUSE, good or bad.

It's true I'm getting it regardless of how good or bad it is but that doesn't invalidate my request earlier. I understand it's getting a lukewarm reception if not plenty of hate but I would like to discuss the actual game mechanics and presentation instead of random crappy fly-by comments.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

You might as well put up a flashing beacon for the very kind of comments you want to avoid. So my inner troll is telling me that this thread needs a little

4sTkog7.png

Edit: won't be buying, not interested, demo looked in impressive in terms of gameplay, story, and graphics. I mean people compare the gameplay to Mass Effect. Lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was a racing game. Pleasantly surprised that it's not! Looks awesome.

8byte

Banned
You're a good man/woman, 8byte.

The demo for this was fun. I wish IG the best.

Many thanks! I'm not always an awful person.

I need a tps shoot shoot bang bang so I'm picking this up come Tuesday. It'll be the first MP centric co-op game I've ever bought. I suppose I should create my own games so that I can always play as Izzy (at least till 35).

You'll like Echelon mode, especially as Izy. Fusion + Fuse Beacon + Health Beacon + Shatter Gun and high rate of fire = MAXIMUM CARNAGE.

Can't wait to destroy goons with 8byte, going to be glorious.

It will be most fun, for sure. I'll probably run with Dalton since he's the slowest to gain XP and I want to level him up quickly. We'll be able to run some 4P games pretty consistently.

Wanna see how ridiculous this game can get?

Here is the bossfight to end mission number 2. He injects himself with what is presumably LSD, summoning the entire party into a nightmarish dream world where you must shoot his glowing weakpoints for massive damage. At least it isn't a giant enemy crab...

http://youtu.be/kFKVgH1vmrQ

what the fuck gaf

Skidd

I'll probably run with Dalton since he's the slowest to gain XP and I want to level him up quickly.
Funny now that you've mentioned it, my Dalton has the highest XP gain rate of all the four characters. Jacob is a close second.

Alienous

Here is the bossfight to end mission number 2. He injects himself with what is presumably LSD, summoning the entire party into a nightmarish dream world where you must shoot his glowing weakpoints for massive damage. At least it isn't a giant enemy crab...

what the fuck gaf

Split-screen cutscenes? That's something new.

8byte

Banned
Funny now that you've mentioned it, my Dalton has the highest XP gain rate of all the four characters. Jacob is a close second.

Haha, I must be doing it wrong, lol. Jacob is fastest for me, and Naya is who I have the second most luck with. CHAIN KILLS SO GOOD.

Alienous

It's true I'm getting it regardless of how good or bad it is

Gosh. You are the exact opposite of the people who blindly hate the game, and that isn't a good thing.

This sort of reverence, placed only because of the developer, it's just mindboggling. It reminds me of the players who pre-order games on the back of a live-action teaser. I agree that blind hatred for the game should be left unsaid, but blind support of it should also be treated the same.

I understand it's getting a lukewarm reception if not plenty of hate but I would like to discuss the actual game mechanics and presentation instead of random crappy fly-by comments.

Drive-by praise for a title isn't constructive. Your comments, in truth, have been as vapid as the repetitive hatred.

But addressing your point, judging from the demo:

The game plays like a standard third-person shooter. The 'leap' mechanic requires pulling up a cumbersome menu that stalls the action; the game is best played, like all CO-OP games, with all seats filled. In my minor experience, all but Dalton's FUSE weapons seemed to operate like standard arms. A crossbow that ... burns? A rifle that ... black holes? Gimmicky. Things like climbing also seem gimmicky, in that it just seems to be another feature for the game to use, whilst not being interesting in its implementation.

The challenge seems to rely on large health bars. Again, judging from the demo, the notion seems to be that to make an encounter more difficult, the enemy is just given more health. These bullet sponge engagements disengage your brain, you're simply firing at a moving target until it dies.

Graphically, the game is fine. There are instances of a great attention to detail, such as moving cloth surrounding boxes. Overall, however, there seems to be a lack of polish. This could be solved in the final release, though.

Overall, it is just honestly unimpressive. And from what I've watched, the demo seems representative of at least the first two chapters of the game. I really haven't heard anybody defend why this is better than the average CO-OP shooter, but some of the support I've seen would lead you to believe that.

8byte

Banned

what the fuck gaf

He's actually injecting himself with Fuse, I believe.
Split-screen cutscenes? That's something new.

Innovation!
Nice OT.

I ordered this game but I won't be able to play it for a week or so.

Ah, well, at least when you jump in you'll have plenty of high level players to help speed along your progress, lol. The folks who like it will probably still be playing Echelon when that time rolls around.

But addressing your point, judging from the demo:

The game plays like a standard third-person shooter. The 'leap' mechanic requires pulling up a cumbersome menu that stalls the action;
Its a two button press and it doesn't stop the action. Once you remember which character is which face button you'll never need to look at the pop-up menu again, it'll be hold+press button whammo instamatic.

Enemies being bullet-sponges seems to be true for bosses in the demo, and fits the Insomniac MO - not sure if that'll end up being true or annoying in the full game though. Could be.

I really haven't heard anybody defend why this is better than the average CO-OP shooter, but some of the support I've seen would lead you to believe that.
I can only speak for myself, but leap does make this different for me than a Borderlands or Gears. If I'm soloing, I'm not playing a single character, I am playing all of them, swapping around as much as I want. Its mixes things up to be able to swap between the tank, healer and dps at the press of a button. Besides that Echelon seems like a nice evolution of Horde - and I could use that since Judgment's survival mode was crap. Dynamic objectives, multiple hotspots, solo-ability and the co-petitive money system make it unique.

Weapons all felt solid and performance was smooth, so there's no glaring faults. My only gripes right now are in-game unskippable cutscenes and slow walks - and that right there could kill the game's replayability if there's too much of it.

8byte

Banned
The 'leap' mechanic requires pulling up a cumbersome menu that stalls the action;
kevin-garnett-angry-gif.gif

Pressing two buttons is cumbersome? Man, I'll have to remember that next time I'm playing any number of games that have you press two buttons to achieve an action. Though, it doesn't "stop" the action, I felt. It's instant, and once you learn where all 4 (a lot, I know) characters are mapped, it's extremely fast, and hardly breaks up the action. Again, in my opinion.

In my minor experience, all but Dalton's FUSE weapons seemed to operate like standard arms. A crossbow that ... burns? A rifle that ... black holes? Gimmicky. Things like climbing also seem gimmicky, in that it just seems to be another feature for the game to use, whilst not being interesting in its implementation.
The bolts from the cross bow can form traps, taking care of shielded enemies. The traps will also "chain" enemies, so if you place 3 traps and enemies walk over them, they'll burn each other and do damage, as it jumps from target to target if their proximity is close enough.

Naya's Warp rifle can "paint" enemies, so she can cloak, run behind a group, paint them all, then Jacob can headshot one and set off the black hole. This chains, and takes out the entire mob of enemies.

Izzy's weapon suspends enemies in the air, making them easy to dispatch, it also chains with near enemies. So, you can suspend a group of enemies, then Dalton can blast them with his shield and kill them all quickly. She can also stun heavies with her weapon, as they become covered in crystals temporarily. Not to mention her "healing" grenade, that can revive allies from across the map.

I dunno, they all seem pretty well rounded and unique to me, much more than just putting bullets into an enemy until it dies. There's a fair amount of experimentation and wiggle room with all of these.

I'd talk about how much I hate the lazy use of the word "gimmick", but I don't want to derail the thread. It's a poor way to articulate your point, as it conveys very little, IMO.

The challenge seems to rely on large health bars. Again, judging from the demo, the notion seems to be that to make an encounter more difficult, the enemy is just given more health. These bullet sponge engagements disengage your brain, you're simply firing at a moving target until it dies.
False. There are enemies that fly around with shot gun and sniper rifles, forcing you to move positions. Also, there are waves of "Seekers" that will explode when they reach you, and divert your attention away from other troops. There are also stealth enemies, helicopters, shielded medics, and 3 different types of heavy troops. The variety of enemies in an encounter very much offers more challenge than just the health bars.
Overall, it is just honestly unimpressive. And from what I've watched, the demo seems representative of at least the first two chapters of the game. I really haven't heard anybody defend why this is better than the average CO-OP shooter, but some of the support I've seen would lead you to believe that.

Well, you could read the OT and pay more attention to the live streams / videos, and it'll give you a good idea as to why it's different (not going to argue for "better" since that is entirely subjective). It's just trying to do what Borderlands did, in that it makes co-op class based. The only difference here is that the combat encounters are structured to force the team to work together, thus co-op becomes more important, and the different "classes" become more nuanced and unique, IMO, instead of just neat abilities. They depend on each other, at times, and that is cool to me.

Demo didn't do anything for me, so hoping for reviews to hit Sunday.

It's an EA published title, so reviews are likely embargoed until release day.

Wasp

The demo was better than I thought it would be. Seems like it would be good fun in local co-op.

I'll buy the game when it's under £20. In a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom