• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE |OT| 4 Players, 1 Co-op

8byte

Banned
If anyone is getting it release day, I'd be more than happy to hop in a lobby and stream some Echelon mode on Twitch, unless everyone wants to dig into the Campaign first.

I did an alternative FUSE box art about a month ago in this thread...

I finally finished all versions.

Enhanced Version:

XBOX360 (PDF)

i3nO4FDoXGlPI.png

PS3 (PDF)

Original Version:

XBOX360 (PDF)

PS3 (PDF)

janisar

Neo Member
I received my copy earlier than expected, and I am 1-2 hours into the game (still haven't finished the first "level"). Here are some early impressions:

Platform: Xbox 360 - I just prefer the 360's controller.
I did some PS3 - 360 comparisons on my tv with the demo, before I decided to buy the 360 version. I couldn't see any graphical differences and both versions ran pretty smooth for a console game (>=30fps).

For European gamers: my Swiss 360 version has multi language support. I play it in english, but there is also German audio available.

Story
  • The game throws you into the world without any introduction. But throughout the first level you constantly have dialogues and the setting itself acts as a good introduction into the story. I like this approach, story through gameplay if you wish.

• There is some humor in the conversations, but not as much as I would have expected (though as I said, I am still at the beginning). I hope the story does not take itself too seriously and does brings something new into the genre.

Graphics/Art Style
  • A lot of it's original cartoon style is still present if you look at the main characters and their animations. Though Dalton (aka Marcus Phoenix without steroids), especially his face, looks much more detailed and defined than the rest of the team.

• First level takes place in a military bunker/research facility, so it's not the most original setting, but they did a great job with the interiors. The rooms feel lived in and there is a strong sense of place.

• On a technical level it's pretty good for a current gen game. Yes there are "some" anti aliasing issues (insert "jaggies, jaggies everywhere" meme...), and yes the resolution is not really HD.
    But it runs constantly with at least 30fps (it's feels really smooth), has nice particle effects, good lightning and surprisingly sharp textures and a great level of detail. There are tons of objects and quite a lot of them react in some way to your actions.

Gameplay
  • The game(play) is really polished. You are constantly "playing" the game and well known loading screen replacements like hacking doors etc. are implemented the least annoying way: you just press a button and after a second the hacking is done and the door opens, tada! No annoying mini games when doing basic actions or unnecessary waiting so far.

• I like the level design. It changes things up between corridors and more open spaces. I had a few fights, and there were always different approaches possible, or at least all of them played different.

• Fights are interesting and enemies are plenty, and attack from different sides, some of them even change their position (wow!?). Though I'm not really sure about the enemy AI because I only had a couple of confrontations, where they impressed more with their quantity than anything else.
    Team AI seems to be ok, but the game is clearly designed for a co-op experience.

• Weapons have a really good feel to them. Though the characters themselves play the same, I can see that there is a lot to explore with their special attacks and powers. Especially if you play the game in co-op with a friend. Haven't updated much, but the skill trees offer good variation as far as I can see it.

• Controls are generally ok. Movement and shooting feels really good, but changing between team members is a hassle.

I really enjoy the game so far, though I am a sucker for third person shooters and after all those known trilogies, I take everything new. What it does, it does pretty good and it's an Insomniac game, so a certain degree of quality is guaranteed.

Drive-by praise for a title isn't constructive. Your comments, in truth, have been as vapid as the repetitive hatred.

I left out the other comments because I don't want to derail the thread but this comment is true. I was merely attempting to keep the discussion focused on the game itself.

I think this game will be a solid title. Not mindblowing but good. I do think that movement is a little...awkward. Maybe it's because I've never played Gears but I'm constantly rolling when I'm trying to go into cover. Also, I wish you could sprint in the direction the camera is facing instead of the way the character is facing at that moment. Small things but they keep tripping me up. I'll get used to them eventually.

Visually it looks good. The demo is placed in a snow level and the characters are in white camo but I never had trouble finding my teammates or enemies. I disabled the XP though. I love the active UI but with the XP on there was way too much text while everything else was happening.

I think the weapons feel good to shoot. I'm reserving judgement for the actual game since it will introduce them properly but I never got the hang of the fuse part of the weapons. The explanation from 8byte clears that up but it wasn't communicated properly in the demo what each of them did.

Overall, they're minor gripes and I had a lot of fun. I'd say a good 7/10 and I await playing the full game with some friends.

[*]Fights are interesting and enemies are plenty, and attack from different sides, some of them even change their position (wow!?).

[*]Controls are generally ok. Movement and shooting feels really good, but changing between team members is a hassle.
Thanks for the impressions, but I'm curious about the bolded.

Change positions? Dunno what you mean.

And switching characters - thats the second time thats come up in the thread so far. Its just a two button press. I'm starting to wonder if its just that people aren't switching much so every time you *do* get down to switching you have to examine the pop-up menu? Or is it something else? Last time I played the demo I was insta-switching like crazy.

8byte

Banned

And switching characters - thats the second time thats come up in the thread so far. Its just a two button press. I'm starting to wonder if its just that people aren't switching much so every time you *do* get down to switching you have to examine the pop-up menu? Or is it something else? Last time I played the demo I was insta-switching like crazy.

I wonder if he's not just referring to enemies moving around cover, or the guys on jet packs?

Same here. I was switching a lot but sometimes I switched to the wrong character so I would give it an extra second to make sure I was pushing the right buttons.

Also, I found a bug. If you press the start button while it's transitioning to a cut scene it will fade to black then bring up the start menu over the cut scene while it plays. More odd than anything game breaking of course.

janisar

Neo Member

I meant that while some enemies use cover and stay where they are, others move around and try to flank you. It's something we still don't have in a lot of games. And it's necessary here, otherwise the game would be too easy, because your team members are actively involved in the combat too.

About the switching: Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to keep my character in control while changing weapons or in this case characters. You have to use your left thumb to press and hold the back button, and then press another button, and after that then go back with your thumb. In addition to that the view on the screen changes too.
After a couple of times you know which button choses which character, but still, it would be so much nicer if you could switch faster.

Wozman23

Pressing two buttons is cumbersome?

Alienous is just mad. He's bad at shooters because he always shoots from the hip.

Truth be told, without Insomniac's name on this one, I probably wouldn't be paying it much attention. But with them being at the helm of my all-time favorite franchise and my favorite FPS, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I await Tuesday with cautious optimism.

Alienous

I meant that while some enemies use cover and stay where they are, others move around and try to flank you. It's something we still don't have in a lot of games. And it's necessary here, otherwise the game would be too easy, because your team members are actively involved in the combat too.

About the switching: Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to keep my character in control while changing weapons or in this case characters. You have to use your left thumb to press and hold the back button, and then press another button, and after that then go back with your thumb. In addition to that the view on the screen changes too.
After a couple of times you know which button choses which character, but still, it would be so much nicer if you could switch faster.

That's what I meant. I would have preferred radial menu like Red Dead Redemption, for lack of a better comparison, in which I could maintain movement whilst considering who to switch to, whilst surveying the battlefield. Perhaps even 1 or 2 seconds of slow motion whilst transitioning to orient myself, so that when I switch to Naya I'm not just standing still out of cover, taking bullets to the chin.

Alienous is just mad. He's bad at shooters because he always shoots from the hip.

Truth be told, without Insomniac's name on this one, I probably wouldn't be paying it much attention. But with them being at the helm of my all-time favorite franchise and my favorite FPS, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I await Tuesday with cautious optimism.

Insomniac's your favourite developer, so I can see why you might not find the faults as glaring as others do. Playing what I've played, I can't see how this is going to be anything but another forgettable shooter. All of the ridicule this has gotten, I can't help but think that if it was called 'Army of Four' and maintained the exact same gameplay, people wouldn't so readily defend it.

Also, I'm brilliant at most shooters. Most, excluding Counter-Strike. I can't get past the concept of not aiming down a sight ... isn't that strange?

Alienous

Hopefully this game doesn't kill Insomniac when it bombs :(

It would be EA's loss to absorb. Otherwise, Insomniac would be free to work with any publisher in the future on their next title, and the pedigree that creating Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, and Resistance allows will still be there.

tumblr_mjlclk98IZ1qczlqfo1_400.gif
PLEASE STOP USING THIS DAMN GIF ALREADY!!! Start making your own gifs people! So many shows out there, with reactions you can use. Gifs are so easy to make. Trust me! Download a program called Jasc animation shop! Sooo easy!!

Gadirok

I don't mean to be an ass but I can't imagine this game doing well even if it reviews great.

Its made by Insomniac and I would be willing to give it a shot but I am still in denial after Ted Price said him and the team moved away from the Resistance series. It wasn't that but if they wanted to create a new ip why this?

Hale and Capelli weren't the more interesting characters in the world but the world and the chimeras and the weapons is what brought flavor to Resistance.

I'll give the demo a shot tomorrow but I don't even want to pay for Last of Us right now when I have a preorder deal for $40.

Atleast Insomniac is willing to showcase proper footage of multiplayer action, but this might be the first time I prefer Naughty Dog's game over Insomniacs.

I'm also annoyed at the work Idol Minds put into Up your arsenal and Deadlocked HD, and outsourcing FFA Vita to Tin Giant. They should have been there to coordinate the half-assed work these studios did.

And I take back the good I said about Idol Minds. UYA is glitch ridden and I've fallen through the map multiple times and the lock-on doesn't work. Weird because Going Commando and 1 were respectable games and worked great. Didn't encounter problems with either of them.

If this game makes it to PS+ I'll probably give it a shot.

Alienous

I don't mean to be an ass but I can't imagine this game doing well even if it reviews great.

Its made by Insomniac and I would be willing to give it a shot but I am still in denial after Ted Price said him and the team moved away from the Resistance series. It wasn't that but if they wanted to create a new ip why this?

Hale and Capelli weren't the more interesting characters in the world but the world and the chimeras and the weapons is what brought flavor to Resistance.

I'll give the demo a shot tomorrow but I don't even want to pay for Last of Us right now when I have a preorder deal for $40.

Atleast Insomniac is willing to showcase proper footage of multiplayer action, but this might be the first time I prefer Naughty Dog's game over Insomniacs.

I'm also annoyed at the work Idol Minds put into Up your arsenal and Deadlocked HD, and outsourcing FFA Vita to Tin Giant. They should have been there to coordinate the half-assed work these studios did.

And I take back the good I said about Idol Minds. UYA is glitch ridden and I've fallen through the map multiple times and the lock-on doesn't work. Weird because Going Commando and 1 were respectable games and worked great. Didn't encounter problems with either of them.

If this game makes it to PS+ I'll probably give it a shot.

Well, I suppose being a fan of Insomniac cuts both ways.

But do try the demo before you form an opinion of it. It's meaty enough to get a sense of its worth.

Gbraga

PLEASE STOP USING THIS DAMN GIF ALREADY!!! Start making your own gifs people! So many shows out there, with reactions you can use. Gifs are so easy to make. Trust me! Download a program called Jasc animation shop! Sooo easy!!

Thank you for the tip, is it free?

Gadirok

Well, I suppose being a fan of Insomniac cuts both ways.

But do try the demo before you form an opinion of it. It's meaty enough to get a sense of its worth.

The picture in my head is a TPS resistance 3 esque game with an emphasis on borderlands like co-op with more cyber themed world instead of grim dark resistance and chimeras.

Yet from some of the gameplay I've seen I think I saw one's movement very similar to that of longlegs in Resistance. They were pretty fun in Resistance 3.

Lunchbox

Banned
even though i dont get invites to your events for reminding the world this game exists with a blockbuster thread that gets more than 2 pages, i still love you insomniac

- your REAL fans

eFOiu04.png

now i gotta convince my bros to buy this shit

Carl

The other OT was better.

Also, you forgot the RIP after Insomniac.

I'd love to enjoy the game but unfortunately the demo was absolutely terrible and failed to hold my interest for even 10 minutes. But yeah. I wanted to like it. :(

Gadirok

The other OT was better.

Also, you forgot the RIP after Insomniac.

I'd love to enjoy the game but unfortunately the demo was absolutely terrible and failed to hold my interest for even 10 minutes. But yeah. I wanted to like it. :(

I would expect this from totoneni and not from you.

I look forward to Insomniac's next project after Fuse, and hope for something different this time.

Maybe rebooting Resistance franchise, or revisiting Ratchet. Or a whole new IP for PS4.

janisar

Neo Member

I don't get how you can form an opinion about why they "replaced" resistance with this IP and not something else, without knowing anything about the game and its story. I am playing FUSE since a couple of hours and still can't say much about it...

If you like Insomniac's games, you will find the same ingredients in FUSE too. The shooting and weapons feels a lot like those in Resistance 3, even though the game is in 3rd person. The movement and "fluidity" of the controls and camera resemble those of the Ratchet series. And as we both know, Insomniac did a great job with storytelling with all of their recent games (though resistance 3 was the only one in the series that clicked with me). Try the demo, it will give you a good impression of the game.

Carl

I would expect this from totoneni and not from you.

I look forward to Insomniac's next project after Fuse, and hope for something different this time.

Maybe rebooting Resistance franchise, or revisiting Ratchet. Or a whole new IP for PS4.

Something good would be nice, yes ^_^.

Wozman23

I am still in denial after Ted Price said him and the team moved away from the Resistance series....the chimeras and the weapons is what brought flavor to Resistance.

I was also deeply saddened to see them walk away. I still feel their transgressions with design choices in R2 doomed the franchise. It's a pity, as R3 was brilliant, even if the ending left me wanting so much more.

In a perfect world, I'd love another trilogy, where Capelli collects gray tech, forms the ultimate weapon, then opens a portal and travels to the Chimeran homeworld. Introducing that new setting leads to all sorts of amazing, vastly different possibilities: unearthly environments, pure Chimera, and new weapons to go along with them. Then after the pure Chimera are defeated, the other ancient alien race that was hinted at could resurface to repeat the process.

theDeeDubs

Still debating on which version to get but I'll probably pick this up on Tuesday. I thought the controls felt very solid and fluid. I don't understand any of the complaints of jankiness whatsoever.

It does seem a little light on story and dialogue, which I thought could have been really promising based on that first trailer they showed at E3. It seems a little empty, for lack of a better word, when playing in single player. Co-op definitely seems the way to go for this. A slowed down more tactical version with character switching kind of like what the updated X-Com TPS appears to be could have been really cool for single player. Still looking forward to Fuse regardless.

8byte

Banned
Still debating on which version to get but I'll probably pick this up on Tuesday. I thought the controls felt very solid and fluid. I don't understand any of the complaints of jankiness whatsoever.

It does seem a little light on story and dialogue, which I thought could have been really promising based on that first trailer they showed at E3. It seems a little empty, for lack of a better word, when playing in single player. Co-op definitely seems the way to go for this. A slowed down more tactical version with character switching kind of like what the updated X-Com TPS appears to be could have been really cool for single player. Still looking forward to Fuse regardless.

Get it for the console where you'll have more folks to play with :)

I'm getting it on PS3, myself.

Orca

Played the demo with my wife and she wants me to get it so we can give Gears of War a rest. I'm fine with that :D

Radec

Oh wow, this thread has gone awful already.

If you didn't like the demo and no plans of getting this, why are you even here?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Should have it Day 1, got it for a very cheap price

Sucks only 35 levels to gain, would have like it at least 50

8byte

Banned
Should have it Day 1, got it for a very cheap price

Sucks only 35 levels to gain, would have like it at least 50

35 levels, and something like 16 team perks to unlock, each with 3 levels. Lots of progression to keep folks busy (along with skins for players and weapons)

abrack08

As the release gets closer... I'm feeling that itch. Maybe the GF will go halfsies with me, since we'd be playing it together. Already have TLoU preordered though... don't think I can afford both right now.

I'd be interested. Looks fun. But depends on single player length for me.

And although i read the devs reasoning on why there was no traditional deathmatch, I kind of wish it was in it. The gameplay and shooting reminding me of a futuristic Uncharted. Could've been pretty fun.

8byte

Banned
I'd be interested. Looks fun. But depends on single player length for me.

And although i read the devs reasoning on why there was no traditional deathmatch, I kind of wish it was in it. The gameplay and shooting reminding me of a futuristic Uncharted. Could've been pretty fun.

For a seasoned vet, SP is probably between 6-8 hrs.

Karak

I will be throwing an Angry Centaur Review up for this here soon. Not really feeling it so far sadly. But always keen to give a game more of a chance.

This looks Resistance X Mass Effect. Too bad both artstyle are ignored and we have bland stuff instead, straight out of dudebro land

Top Bottom