• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fusion Reactor started in UK expected to hit 100 mill deg by 2018

https://futurism.com/a-world-first-fusion-reactor-just-created-its-first-plasma/

Achieving First Plasma

After being turned on for the first time, the UK’s newest fusion reactor has achieved first plasma. This simply means that the reactor was able to successfully generate a molten mass of electrically-charged gas — plasma — inside its core.

Called the ST40, the reactor was constructed by Tokamak Energy, one of the leading private fusion energy companies in the world. The company was founded in 2009 with the express purpose of designing and developing small fusion reactors to introduce fusion power into the grid by 2030.

Now that the ST40 is running, the company will commission and install the complete set of magnetic coils needed to reach fusion temperatures. The ST40 should be creating a plasma temperature as hot as the center of the Sun — 15 million degrees Celsius (27 million degrees Fahrenheit) — by Autumn 2017.

By 2018, the ST40 will produce plasma temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius (180 million degrees Fahrenheit), another record-breaker for a privately owned and funded fusion reactor. That temperature threshold is important, as it is the minimum temperature for inducing the controlled fusion reaction. Assuming the ST40 succeeds, it will prove that its novel design can produce commercially viable fusion power.

Tokamak Energy CEO David Kingham commented in a press release: “Today is an important day for fusion energy development in the UK, and the world. We are unveiling the first world-class controlled fusion device to have been designed, built, and operated by a private venture. The ST40 is a machine that will show fusion temperatures – 100 million degrees – are possible in compact, cost-effective reactors. This will allow fusion power to be achieved in years, not decades.”

Fusion Power: Coming Sooner

Nuclear fusion is a potentially revolutionary power source. It is the same process that fuels stars like our Sun, and could produce a potentially limitless supply of clean energy without producing dirty waste or any significant amount of carbon emissions. In contrast to nuclear fission, the atom splitting that today’s nuclear reactors engage in, nuclear fusion requires salt and water, and involves fusing atoms together. Its primary waste product is helium. It’s easy to see why scientists have tried to figure out how to achieve this here on Earth, but thus far it’s been elusive.
The journey toward fusion energy undertaken by Tokamak Energy is planned in the short-term and moving quickly; the company has already achieved its half-way goal for fusion power delivery. Their ultimate targets include producing the first electricity using the ST40 by 2025 and producing commercially viable fusion power by 2030.

Kingham remarked in the press release: “We will still need significant investment, many academic and industrial collaborations, dedicated and creative engineers and scientists, and an excellent supply chain. Our approach continues to be to break the journey down into a series of engineering challenges, raising additional investment on reaching each new milestone.”

TLDR:

Tokamak Energy's fusion reactor has achieved first plasma and is on track to produce temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius (180 million degrees Fahrenheit) by 2018.

100 million degrees is the temp at which they can start fusing atoms and testing for energy output vs input.
And see if the reactor can maintain itself.

Tokamak Energy CEO says to expect fusion energy "in years, not decades.”

Did search didn't find any post.

Fusion is such a great evolution over fission reactors, and I believe they are meltdown free. A great step towards a carbon-free energy grid.

latest
latest
latest

Please free us from this coal-filled nightmare

AND we get free helium as a result?

Fusion is such a great evolution over fission reactors, and I believe they are meltdown free. A great step towards a carbon-free energy grid.

latest

I just got an arcopolis-sized nostalgia boner seeing this

daedalius

I honestly was amazed when I saw this the other day.

Absolutely incredible, fusion could solve all of our energy needs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, I doubt it. It's a piece on a blog that adds for a request for investors, and their website is mostly about their public press. Their staff includes some research physicists, so it's probably not a total scam, but I would be highly surprised if this wasn't misrepresenting their progress or the challenges to come.

Volimar

Honestly, I doubt it. It's a piece on a blog that adds for a request for investors, and their website is mostly about their public press. Their staff includes some research physicists, so it's probably not a total scam, but I would be highly surprised if this wasn't misrepresenting their progress or the challenges to come.

Why I said I wish them luck. I'll believe it when I see it though. It's pretty daunting.

Kinan

Well, I'm all for private companies to speed things up, but in this case I do not even see any new ideas here. Even the name of the company is the name of old soviet arrangement for the first fusion concept.
ITER is using same basic concept but is still a decade or two and billions$ away from completion.
The German stellerator idea is more promising, imo, and they demonstrated 100MK hot plasma last year.

Just compare the scale of those two efforts with this and you will see why most will be very sceptical.

In other words

"... by 2018!*

*contingent on £500,000,000.00 in funding by next Tuesday.**

**and redefining 2028 as 2018."

Well, I'm all for private companies to speed things up, but in this case I do not even see any new ideas here. Even the name of the company is the name of old soviet arrangement for the first fusion concept.
ITER is using same basic concept but is still a decade or two and billions$ away from completion.
The German stellerator idea is more promising, imo, and they demonstrated 100MK hot plasma last year.

Just compare the scale of those two efforts with this and you will see why most will be very sceptical.

Was just about to post about Wendelstein X 7 and ask how in the world the Tokamak wants to make fusion feasible in such a small flimsey looking device, if the best german scientists at the Max Planck Institute had to build such a hellish device over years to make it possible.

Oriel

When ITER was proposed the Greens in the EP opposed it simply because it had the name "Thermonuclear" in the name. Nuclar Fusion has a grear deal of potential if the terminally stupid would stop with their knee-jerk reactions to anything nuclwar related. Fusion is NOTHING like regular fission reactor technology.

Watch those EU slugs come crying back now that we've got fusion power.

How we will laugh at them with their pathetic "clean energy" when we''re travelling back and forth through time and space, with unlimited energy and machine guns that fire plasma bullets.

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

Fritz

Lol, Wendelstein has already been there.

Britain turning into North Korea now. Lttp: Look at our glorious achievements.

Par Score

The "expected" in the thread title is incredibly misleading.

This isn't some projection of current progress towards a final result, it's a wish and a prayer for more funding.

Kingham remarked in the press release: “We will still need significant investment, many academic and industrial collaborations, dedicated and creative engineers and scientists, and an excellent supply chain. Our approach continues to be to break the journey down into a series of engineering challenges, raising additional investment on reaching each new milestone.”

Translation:

We don't actually have the resources, the talent, the skills or the equipment to do this yet. Please give us money.

If Britain becomes a high class super nation based on fusion technology post brexit I will be laffing at the EU from my fusion powered hoverbike while eating my fusion fried chips.

j/k

FoxSpirit

The "expected" in the thread title is incredibly misleading.

This isn't some projection of current progress towards a final result, it's a wish and a prayer for more funding.

Translation:

We don't actually have the resources, the talent, the skills or the equipment to do this yet. Please give us money.
They already reached 10 mill so obviously they are not talking out of their ass.

For people who say, how the fuck is this possible when the stellerators are that fucking huge, have a read:

TLDR: http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/0029-5515/labtalk/article/60116
Full: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0029-5515/55/3/033001/pdf

TLDR: http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/0029-5515/labtalk/article/65005
Full: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0029-5515/56/6/066003/pdf

Co-Author of first and sole author of second: Alan Costley
Is he credible? https://www.iter.org/newsline/52/1233
Good enough for me.

A bit of chitchat about 2nd paper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbMpEtP245A

I am no plasma scientist but this is not some backwater genius taking a potshot but seems to be a legit evolution in design.

Elandyll

Banned
... If true it's tremendous... But wasn't there a piece recently saying we were still nowhere close to be able to make the magnetic shields necessary for reliable fusion?

I thought we were like at least a decade away from having an actual Fusion Reactor tbh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the temperature at the centre of the Sun is 15 million centigrade...and they're targeting 100 million!? Seems insane

Crispy75

So the temperature at the centre of the Sun is 15 million centigrade...and they're targeting 100 million!? Seems insane

You need high pressure/temperature for fusion. The sun has enormous pressure so the temperature doesn't have to be as high. Maintaining high plasma pressure with magnetic fields is not easy so 100,000,000°C is a trade-off for running at a lower pressure.

jchap

Igniting a plasma is easy, not really worthy of a press release.

Very easy to make hot plasma (hobby level pulsed power can easily exceed a few hundred million degrees) but it is hard to confine in a steady state at such temperatures.

7aged

There's a lot of mockery going on here, and the OP's link doesn't help at all with it's breathless tone.

My quick read is that a group from Culham are looking for private funding to further their research. Whether or not "Tokamak Energy" goes anywhere, R&D on spherical tokamaks is a serious point of research, one that Culham has invested a lot in (the MAST upgrade).

tuxfool

Banned
Watch those EU slugs come crying back now that we've got fusion power.

How we will laugh at them with their pathetic "clean energy" when we''re travelling back and forth through time and space, with unlimited energy and machine guns that fire plasma bullets.

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

I should remind you that ITER in France is a lot more well funded...

Crispy75

So if something goes wrong, what kind of explosion can we expect?

None. The actual volume of hot plasma is very small. If the containment fails, it just dissipates. The most radioactive bits of a reactor like this are the chamber walls, which soak up stray neutrons, but they're made of solid metal. Worst worst worst case scenario, you have to dismantle the reactor and put the pieces somewhere safe for a few decades.

Top Bottom