• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Futurama Hulu Revival | Season 8? 11?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
NjOZ2VB.jpg

Episode list:
u9qgTZ.jpg

Rran

I thought it was decent enough, if surprisingly low-key for a soft reboot. The classic Futurama style gags hit pretty frequently, particularly in the first half, although the story ends in a pretty dumb and half-baked way. Good to hear everyone again though; it looks, sounds, and feels like Futurama.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I thought it was decent enough, if surprisingly low-key for a soft reboot. The classic Futurama style gags hit pretty frequently, particularly in the first half, although the story ends in a pretty dumb and half-baked way. Good to hear everyone again though; it looks, sounds, and feels like Futurama.
That's almost exactly my reaction: it feels like authentic Futurama; the mini-gags along the way are great; the overall story is a bit meh; I expected a bit better from their new debut, this fills like a filler episode plot.

But overall, they didn't ruin it and the tone & humor is intact, so I'm on board.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

9EtpfQb.jpg

1 episode, so far, Disney+ Belgium. excited to watch.

edit:
I still watch the original almost every night and never imagined we would get more episodes of Futurama so this is hard to believe!

…Watched it and highly recommend this restart to fans. It has the authentic feel, look, humor, etc with slightly aged sounding actors. This is well animated and looks nice with music and sounds that all say Futurama.
The fulu gags got a bit stale so I hope they’re nixed in future episodes but I’m excited for more.

If they stick to what fans love about Futurama they won’t need to do skits about being cancelled again.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
It was pretty okay. Didn't need that much meta-stuff but whatever. Hopefully they can go do some zany deliveries now. (I haven't rewatched any of the reboot content since original airings but my recollection is that the zany delivery format was de-emphasized a lot)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The fulu gags got a bit stale so I hope they’re nixed in future episodes but I’m excited for more.

If they stick to what fans love about Futurama they won’t need to do skits about being cancelled again.
Yeah meta-commentary is fine for the first rebooted episode, but their strength is still found in the small jokes, inventive sci-fi locations, etc. Hopefully they'll stop the meta/commentary bits now and stick to what is still working great in the basics of the show and characters.

kondorBonk

I thought it was a great start. Of course the first episode would be the chance to do the meta hulu stuff so no surprise there. The constant quips were on point and it felt like Futurama.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
By the way, if you're looking at the episode list above and the writer names, at least one of them is confirmed to be an alias.

Episode 3 ("How the West was 1010001") says the writer is "Nona di Spargement", but that's a pun on "non-disparagement" and is evidently confirmed to be written by Ken Keeler.

Keeler is one of the greats of Simpsons/Futurama: list of episodes

Kiwicha

It´s really hard to belive that Futurama it's been around for 23+ years. It became my favorite show when I was 10 years old and it was one of the reason I decided to learn english. So today I signed up to Hulu justo to watch the new episode of Futurama and... I didn't quite like it. It was meh, like one of the episodes between the really good ones, didn't feel like the return of my favorite show. Lets hope they decided to star this new season with something slow and then, really pick up the pace. I'm just glad I get to experience new episodes of Futurama once again, even though I'm so old now.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Second episode was decent.

I was never a fan of Kif episodes, but at least it was a 100% straightforward Futurama entry. No meta commentary, no current topics, just a narrative piece that continued the story with a few nice gags along the way.

Fuz

Banned
First 4 episodes were kinda meh.
"Related to Items You've Viewed" is absolutely fantastic.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
First 4 episodes were kinda meh.
1 (TV Fry plot) was okay, some good lines and not annoying overall. A bit underwhelming for a premiere but it could be worse.

2 (Amy/Kif plot) was not a topic I care for, really could be fine never seeing Kif’s world again, but it wasn’t horrible. Nice to see overall story continuation for some old subplots

3 (Bitcoin western) - actually a lot of fun, I enjoyed this one. It’s the best of the opening 4 for me, nice gags.

4 (Dune parody) I hated, no chance I’ll rewatch this one… goes in the forgotten bin with Butterjunk and other filler.

I haven’t watched (5) yet, looking forward to it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I just watched it, and I wholeheartedly agree.

That episode feels very much like classic Futurama, just the right amount of great gags and sci-fi shenanigans. So even with horrible episodes like that Nibbler-Dune mess, I'm happy with this revival if we get a couple of new classics per season.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

YCoCg

On average so far it's been better than the previous revival, so hoping it keeps up the same pace, the Amazon episode was great.

DrFigs

I liked episode 1. Really liked episode 5 (if that's the amazon parody one). The others are bad. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of buzz for this revival. Even looking at this thread, posts are kind of sparse.

bitbydeath

Fry’s voice was wrecked in the first two episodes, they should get him to re-record those. Had me worried for a bit that he lost it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It doesn't seem like there's a lot of buzz for this revival. Even looking at this thread, posts are kind of sparse.
Agreed, a bit sad... there is some discussion of it, but I feel like the announcement of its return a year or so ago had much more of an impact and buzz online than the actual release.

BlackTron

Agreed, a bit sad... there is some discussion of it, but I feel like the announcement of its return a year or so ago had much more of an impact and buzz online than the actual release.

Futurama leaving and coming back is like the weekend leaving and coming back at this point. Already waiting for the next cancellation, and the next return.

You kinda feel that in the show. It doesn't feel like "the triumphant bombastic return of Futurama". Instead, it's just more Futurama episodes. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a sense this is just a chance to make more (with contemporary gags). It's definitely the same old Futurama, and maybe that's why. For example every time TMNT comes back it's different and everybody has an opinion on it, for better or for worse. But you'd be forgiven for not even knowing you were watching new Futurama unless you were paying attention, and we've "been there done that" with it being cancelled and returning before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Futurama leaving and coming back is like the weekend leaving and coming back at this point. Already waiting for the next cancellation, and the next return.

You kinda feel that in the show. It doesn't feel like "the triumphant bombastic return of Futurama". Instead, it's just more Futurama episodes. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a sense this is just a chance to make more (with contemporary gags). It's definitely the same old Futurama, and maybe that's why. For example every time TMNT comes back it's different and everybody has an opinion on it, for better or for worse. But you'd be forgiven for not even knowing you were watching new Futurama unless you were paying attention, and we've "been there done that" with it being cancelled and returning before.
This has a very "Family Guy revival" feel to it. The show got cancelled in 2002 but revived in 2005 or 2006 with almost no changes at all to the formula - just more episodes with contemporary gags. And, well, that show's been running now for an extra 15 years with the same formula.

Personally I love the new episodes. I had kind of given up on the other revivals because I felt like the quality of the jokes and writing just wasn't there. I might have watched like 4-5 episodes of the Comedy Central run. But, as a longtime fan of the original seasons, I'm really enjoying the new ones.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So... is anyone still watching this?

It's halfway through the next season now, that's a total of 10 in the first season they aired last year and 6/10 new ones this season have aired.

My view: there have been some genuine Futurama-feeling episodes this season, with only 2/6 that I hated. Plenty of moments that feel almost like the original run, just with the wit not quite as fast as those legendary OG seasons.

Yamisan

Huge Futurama fan and never heard of this....must have been pretty bad but I'll still find somewhere to watch it tonight.

YCoCg

My view: there have been some genuine Futurama-feeling episodes this season
It's been very mixed, the NFT episode was trash and a terrible opener for this season, but then the squid games style episode was the best of the revival to me mainly because the entire backing plot was surrounded by Fry's past and what his mom did. The chatbot episode about Lela wanting more friends was pretty good but then the fashion episode was mainly shit with the odd good joke in it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's been very mixed, the NFT episode was trash and a terrible opener for this season, but then the squid games style episode was the best of the revival to me mainly because the entire backing plot was surrounded by Fry's past and what his mom did
ha, total opposite view of the squid games episode -- after watching it I said it's possibly the worst episode of any revival yet. The birthday memory scenes weren't terrible, but the entire squid games plot with all the death traps was just awful to me. I hate ensemble episodes that feel like this one, where all the characters that don't even mesh together are in one scene, arms ripping off like it's nothing, jokes cracked every people die, etc. It just doesn't feel real anymore at all, more like a 37th season of the Simpsons or something.

NFT one was mid, if you ask me; not terrible at all, fully watchable. The terrible ones to me were Squid Games and fashion one (we agree there!). Fashion episode was 2nd worst of the season.

The temp-worker episode was probably the highlight so far, and the matador episode too.

ahtlas7

Still watching and it's one of the only things I enjoy on Disney+. Sucks to pay a monthly fee for only Simpsons and Futurama

Top Bottom