• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Great main event!

Okada finally gets a win against Styles!

And on Day 2, AJ is going to have to face the
undefeated YTR!

Okada says next time he and AJ are in the ring together, he'll take the belt back. Says he'll win all his G1 matches. Then hands the mic to Gedo.

Gedo says that you're about to see a summer unlike any other. Says Okada beat the IWGP Champion, and he'll do the same to everyone else.

Okada says next time he and AJ are in the ring together, he'll take the belt back. Says he'll win all his G1 matches. Then hands the mic to Gedo.

Gedo says that you're about to see a summer unlike any other. Says Okada beat the IWGP Champion, and he'll do the same to everyone else.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

THE KING WILL RETURN

*edit, forgot to mention guys, but there's a number of people unable to watch live so can we keep results spoiler tagged in the future? Cheers.

Really good show overall - I'd say Nakamura vs Shibata was Match of the Night, followed closely by AJ vs Okada and Goto vs Makabe. Also, I really loved Honma vs Tanahshi, Naito vs Yujiro was a lot better than expected and the undercard (outside of Suzuki/Yano) was good as well.

Fantastic start to the G1! Next show's on Wednesday - it's a smaller event, headlined by Tanahashi vs Doc, but should be good with matches like Kojima vs Ishii and Nagata vs Honma.

Random gifs;

Honma.gif

Ishii2.gif

Nagata.gif

Shibata.gif

Shibata1.gif

Yujiro2.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm unable to watch live but not worried about spoilers. Let them roll.

Sounds like I missed a great night, tonight this shit gets rectified!

KissVibes

Banned
Shibata is too fuckin' godly. Give that man some titles and some fuckin' merch. Fuck, teach him english and let him and KENTA murder the WWE roster.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if Naito is ok? That drop looks horrendous. I'm sure Yujiro got beaten with soap rolled up in towels backstage after the show, that shit is bad.

Naito looked a bit loopy for a second or two, but recovered well - some of the stuff they were doing later on was pretty crisp, so I'd hazard a guess that he's OK. Ibushi's incident was way worse.

Incidentally, I was more worried about Makabe's jaw. Perhaps it was just how well he was selling (for a guy who doesn't really sell all that much), but he really looked in a lot of pain when Goto was laying into him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Naito looked a bit loopy for a second or two, but recovered well - some of the stuff they were doing later on was pretty crisp, so I'd hazard a guess that he's OK. Ibushi's incident was way worse.

Incidentally, I was more worried about Makabe's jaw. Perhaps it was just how well he was selling (for a guy who doesn't really sell all that much), but he really looked in a lot of pain when Goto was laying into him.

Makabe doesn't sell too well, but when he does, it's always his jaw. I figure at this point we'd know if it was broken.

"FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU"

mrboo001

Banned
*edit, forgot to mention guys, but there's a number of people unable to watch live so can we keep results spoiler tagged in the future? Cheers.

Ah right, forgot about that. I went back and put spoilers tags on the match results. Might be too late now though.

Ithil

Styles has been completely unfettered since leaving TNA. He's really one of the top performers in the world right now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll never see what you see in Honma, Boootaaaay. He's just so average to me. He's a John Cena type where he can have a good match with a great wrestler, but he flounders with anyone below great. Which makes him a poor hand.

I wouldn't call him a poor hand, he can have a good match with pretty much anyone he's asked to - the Fale loss, for instance, was one of the first "hey, that wasn't entirely terrible!" matches since Fale's heel turn, largely thanks to Honma's selling and the crowd's reactions for him.

I wouldn't rate as an amazing singles wrestler, though, just a guy with a lot of natural charisma who the audience loves, even if he's losing continually - he's much more adept as a tag wrestler (Tumeric Storm, yo), but can still have a great singles bout when called to. The match today was all about Tanahashi, though - he's the perfect ace. Super popular, but knows exactly when to be a dick and get the crowd against him.

MoosiferX

Had the opportunity to watch live last night, and boy was it worth it. I'm going to try to catch the rest of them live, but some of those start times are going to be rough!

The biggest holy shit moment for me was the mid air reversal into the german by Yujiro featured in the gifs above. Not a bad match all night, even YTR/Suzuki (HE'S STILL FUNNY TO ME, DAMNIT!).

MoosiferX

I'll never see what you see in Honma, Boootaaaay. He's just so average to me.

AVERAGE!? Actually I felt that way at first, but somehow he's managed to grow on me. It seems like he's getting better and better lately. Maybe by the end of this year's tournament he'll headbutt his way into your heart.

Jamie OD

Enjoyed the show a lot. Makabe Vs Goto was a blast with Nakamura Vs Shibata close behind it. Tanahashi Vs Honma was a lot of fun. Nagata Vs Kojima was really good too but I notice Nagata has a more of a hobble in his step now. Felt bad for Naito getting dumped on his head but he eventually recovered for a decent finish. Can't wait for Day 2 on Wednesday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ishii vs Fale was awesome. Ishii with the big heart trying to topple the giant. I loved it maggle!

bigkrev

Saw the main event. My god, what a match. It's amazing to think TNA had Okada, used him in a terrible role, and he has gone on to be one of the best wrestlers in the world. Probably the best AJ match since his run in 2005 of awesome matches with Daniels and Joe.

Yeah, Ishii vs Shibata is the big match on that card - I'd also expect Kojima vs Honma to be a good opening match and I'm interested to see how Shinsuke does with Gallows. He got a great match out of Fale and Doc's a lot more experienced, so hopefully it'll be a good main event. Tanahashi vs Nagata should be good as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tanahashi vs Nagata is the big one I'm looking forward to. I won't be able to keep from comparing Ishii vs Shibata to last year's, and I don't know if I have a lot of faith in Gallows vs Nakamura. I see Nak losing though.

Nagata / Tanahashi should be Aces

Tonight's card

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 2", 2014/07/23
Aomori Budokan

18:00 JST | 11:00 EU | 10:00 UK | 05:00 EDT | 02:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii
02. G1 Climax - Block A: Shelton Benjamin vs Bad Luck Fale
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs Yujiro Takahashi
04. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Lance Archer
05. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Tomoaki Honma
06. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs AJ Styles
08. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
09. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Karl Anderson
10. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Doc Gallows

Styles and Shibata have off

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yujiro's gonna get the shit beat out of him tonight if the Goto/Makabe match is anything to go by. Wonder if he'll emerge uninjured. Really looking forward to Naito/Archer, Nak/DBS, Yano/AJ (because it'll be weird and interesting, Yano gonna die tho) and Makabe/Anderson. Tanahashi/Gallows should be interesting, and Benjamin/Fale will make Fale look amazing but I can see Benjamin getting the win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh at tonights start time. Looks like im watching it tomorrow. This G1 is so hype

Yeah, I can't possibly watch even a single show live. Sucks, but...it'll be alright.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yano vs. Styles seems like it'd be so weird.

I can only imagine Yano getting flattened ASAP. Tries some cutesy shit, gets cut off, and they enjoy their off night.

I could see AJ perhaps taking Yano too lightly to begin with, maybe one or two of Yano's tactics work (he does have the most noble brain, after all) and he makes AJ look like a chump, before AJ just crushes him.

It's a weird match. Also, I'm interested in Okada vs Archer - Lance had a good tournament last year, so it'll be cool to see how he does against the Rainmaker.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I could see AJ perhaps taking Yano too lightly to begin with, maybe one or two of Yano's tactics work (he does have the most noble brain, after all) and he makes AJ look like a chump, before AJ just crushes him.

It's a weird match. Also, I'm interested in Okada vs Archer - Lance had a good tournament last year, so it'll be cool to see how he does against the Rainmaker.

I think Okada'll take that L this evening. Archer can look fantastic and against Okada, the Rainmaker will let him shine.

Ithil

I have absolutely no idea who will win this year. Last year definitely had Naito as the favourite, Shibata as the other possible one, but this year I've no clue.
I'm leaning towards Shibata or Nakamura but I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom