• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GA.BIZ: Kutaragi comments raise fresh concerns over PSP battery

bobafett

It is time to grab some popcorn:

Speaking in an interview with Japanese site Impress PC Watch, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has admitted that graphically intensive game will drain the PSP's battery more rapidly than the quoted figures.

"A puzzle game will last longer, but Ridge Racer will probably be shorter than that," he told the site, referring to the battery life statistics released by SCE last week - which claimed four to six hours of battery while playing games.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5251

Deku Tree

Speaking in an interview with Japanese site Impress PC Watch, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has admitted that graphically intensive game will drain the PSP's battery more rapidly than the quoted figures.

"A puzzle game will last longer, but Ridge Racer will probably be shorter than that," he told the site, referring to the battery life statistics released by SCE last week - which claimed four to six hours of battery while playing games.

Is anyone surprised?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, is he saying that a puzzle game will pull ~6 hours while Ridge Racer will give us about 4? The battery life isn't a big concern to me, though (at least in this day and age).

bobafett

dark10x said:
So, is he saying that a puzzle game will pull ~6 hours while Ridge Racer will give us about 4? The battery life isn't a big concern to me, though (at least in this day and age).

From what I understood, Ridge Racer will give us less than 4 hours.

dark10x

bobafett said:
From what I understood, Ridge Racer will give us less than 4 hours.

It could be interpreted both ways depending on what "that" is referring to...

Can we have some more old news posted, please?

What kind of batter power do people get out of comparable devices? And what are those comparable devices? I could imagine that the Archos might be similar, but beyond that.

This device has several components that just eat batteries, such that if it actually makes the 4-6 hours, I'll be ecstatic.

1) UMD Drive
2) Top Line Graphics processor
3) Top Line standard processor
4) High contrast, large screen

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
It could be interpreted both ways depending on what "that" is referring to...
The quoted battery statistics? He said RR will come in below them probably (meaning less than 4-6 hours).

king zell

The figures quoted by SCE rely on playing with headphones, without using the wireless multiplayer capabilities of the device, and with screen brightness set in a specific range - leading to widespread speculation that using the full power of the system will bring the battery life down closer to the originally rumoured two hour level.

^

dark10x

Perhaps the "that" in question is referring to the puzzle game?

Game X lasts a certain amount of time while Game Y will probably last less than that.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that story conflates a kutaragi interview and information from a sony spec sheet to make it seem as if kutaragi's saying that ridge racer will drain the battery in less than four hours. now, perhaps ridge racer will drain the battery in less than four hours. but kutaragi never said or implied that it would.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dark10x said:
Perhaps the "that" in question is referring to the puzzle game?

Game X lasts a certain amount of time while Game Y will probably last less than that.

nope, that definitely referrs to the quoted battery life.

"a puzzle game" means any puzzle game, hence "that" would be the wrong pronoun.

NWO

king zell said:
The figures quoted by SCE rely on playing with headphones, without using the wireless multiplayer capabilities of the device, and with screen brightness set in a specific range - leading to widespread speculation that using the full power of the system will bring the battery life down closer to the originally rumoured two hour level.

So does this mean the PSP can reach 10 hours of battery life when its not turned on?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
here's the actual kutaragi statement, in at least some of its context: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/29/news_6111820.html

"The battery consumption changes depending on the memory and processor usage, aside from disk access," he said. "It'll run for a long time when playing puzzle games but shorter when playing Ridge Racer, for example. Using the wireless LAN also affects the battery consumption […] I think that there's still some room left for power-consumption improvement through software."

he's clearly comparing ridge racer to the puzzle game, not to the psp's stated battery life. but hey, keep hoping. perhaps focused antipathy will drain the psp's battery too. :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dark10x said:
I still believe it is too vague to really judge...

We'll see.

nope, its definitely not vague. its pretty clear.

peaking in an interview with Japanese site Impress PC Watch, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has admitted that graphically intensive game will drain the PSP's battery more rapidly than the quoted figures.

edit: *sigh* the real comment is vague. why does video game journalism have to suck so bad?

old-man.jpg

OLDE

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GI.BIZ has a different translation/interpretation of the same conference with Kutaragi that GS and IGN already reported on at the end of last week. So who's got the most faithful interpretation?

GS - http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/29/news_6111820.html
Finally, Kutaragi touched on the PSP's rechargeable battery, which is purported to last between four to six hours--on average--for games, and up to four to five hours for movies.

"The battery consumption changes depending on the memory and processor usage, aside from disk access," he said. "It'll run for a long time when playing puzzle games but shorter when playing Ridge Racer, for example. Using the wireless LAN also affects the battery consumption […] I think that there's still some room left for power-consumption improvement through software."

IGN - http://psp.ign.com/articles/561/561952p1.html
Continuing on the topic of battery, he offers: "By extending the amount of battery volume, we were able to create something with very good specifications. However, based on memory and processor use, the amount of power use changes. A puzzle game will offer lengthy time, but Ridge Racer will perhaps offer less than that. Using wireless LAN will have a great effect on how long the battery lasts. However, by making adjustments on the programming side of things, we would like to make it so that for whatever game you play, the announced value is an average." This seems to suggest that SCE is telling developers to hold back on pushing the system to its limits in the interest of maintaining the battery time promise.

The IGN and GS translations seem to suggest that his comments on getting more or less battery life based on the game were independent of any direct relation to the officially published battery life estimates from last week.

dark10x

nope, its definitely not vague. its pretty clear.

Based on the information dug up by drohne and kaching, I'd have to disagree...

His comment was taken out of context (which is pretty much what I was thinking in the first place).

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
His comment was taken out of context (which is pretty much what I was thinking in the first place).
If you're being serious and not backtracking, I'd have to say your inital post was pretty vague too then. I missed your thinking completely. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
and with screen brightness set in a specific range
The 'speciffic' range was the full spectrum of the brightness that the screen supprts, and it was explained that by setting it to the lowest setting, you get 6 hours of battery, and 4 hours on highest.

ninge

i'm waiting for the unoficial devlist war over who can write an application that drains the battery the quickest! :)

"the rules are: light on full, sound on full and WLAN turned on - the rest is up to you!" hehe

Speculation at this point is a bit pointless.

I think we'll find out soon enough whether the 4-hour threshold is rock solid or shaky when the unit launches in Japan. I suspect this will be one of the first things that will get ramped up on the internet, what the "true" battery life is.

I wouldn't be shocked if the battery dips under 4 hours for a lot of the nicer looking titles. I hope it isn't the case, but Kutaragi hasn't exactly been adament on it being a 4-hour minimum. Sounds like it could vary.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Midas said:
Screw battery life. Just give me a PSP.
I think that pretty much is it. So the battery will be a bit shit. I don't care, it's sexy. FFS, we all bought iPods...

Midas

Folder said:
I think that pretty much is it. So the battery will be a bit shit. I don't care, it's sexy. FFS, we all bought iPods...

Yeah. And the iPod battery life sucks too. I have to charge my iPod every single day. Well, that was a lie. Almost every day. :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Isn't that just common sense? Tony Hawk for the GBA drained the battery more than other games...

Top Bottom