• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF EAST 3 KILLZONE 2 Clan thread.

Squads are set for match, though we need 1 more person.

Squad 1 -
Labombadog -Engineer-Squad Leader
ITS_MY_GO_18 - Tactician
J-Wood-Medic
dollartaco-freelance

Squad 2-
WHOAguitarninja - TBD - Squad Leader
Palintiri - Freelance
icechai - tactician
???-???

TheFatOne

Man I'm just so agrevated that I played like shit. If I played in the practice match I might have stood a chance in the game.

Good try guys. They out maneuvered us in S&D pretty severely. We'll have to plan better on that one. They also got a bit of a lucky start on body count, which hurt us quite a bit.

TheFatOne

WHOAguitarninja said:
Good try guys. They out maneuvered us in S&D pretty severely. We'll have to plan better on that one. They also got a bit of a lucky start on body count, which hurt us quite a bit.

At least I got an assassination lol man I wish I knew what the hell I was supposed to do. I played really dumb in that game. I stood to close to the entrances and let the assault blow me up way tp many times.

Facism

which one of you teabagged me at the end of the game? -_-

GG, despite the ending score, the S@D rounds were very very close.

TheFatOne said:
At least I got an assassination lol man I wish I knew what the hell I was supposed to do. I played really dumb in that game. I stood to close to the entrances and let the assault blow me up way tp many times.

Yeah, it was basic procedures and stuff that doomed us I think. Spawn placement etc.

TheFatOne

WHOAguitarninja said:
Yeah, it was basic procedures and stuff that doomed us I think. Spawn placement etc.

Yea its all good we jus need a lot of practice as a team. That good thing is I learn a few things that I can use on the next games . Plus I have a few more ideas of what we can do against other teams. The thing we really need is a ton of practice as a unit. If we can get some practice I feel like we can be golden.

BTW tomorrow night I'm setting up a game so look for GAF MELTDOWN! tomorrow at 8PM EST.

EDIT: One last thing I think as a team we are pretty good we just need to get two things down. One we need to work on communication and coordination during the games and two we need to get all the basics of the different clases down. For example where and when to place spawn points or when to revive or heal ect.... I think all of these things will come in time if we continue to play games.

TheFatOne said:
Yea its all good we jus need a lot of practice as a team. That good thing is I learn a few things that I can use on the next games . Plus I have a few more ideas of what we can do against other teams. The thing we really need is a ton of practice as a unit. If we can get some practice I feel like we can be golden.

BTW tomorrow night I'm setting up a game so look for GAF MELTDOWN! tomorrow at 8PM EST.

Agreed. Check your pm's in about 5 minutes, by the way.

TheFatOne said:
Ok there is going to be a clan pratice match tomorrow check this thread in a few hours for more details.

TheFatOne/Lyulf is leading practice and the game tommorow, everyone. I got some shit i gotta do in another town so i have no idea if I'll be around.

GG tonight, and a great learning opportunity. I would like to suggest that everyone who participated in today's match watch the battle replay on Killzone.com.

To expand upon what Lyulf said, I think that spawn placement (and correct direction) is absolutely critical for the success of a team. In S&D[attack] we need spawn points in both towers facing the plant spot. In S&D[defend] we need one spawn point in the tower and a second one in between the two towers in order to manage traffic flows. Ideally each spawn point should be accompanied by two turrets and air support. If we can control one tower and the middle of the map then we should be able to sit back and launch rockets into the other tower to keep them occupied.

In Search and Retrieve we need a spawn point at the back facing out, and a spawn point in the middle facing the opposition's end. This way we can control the endzone and the middle ground. An assualt rush (2 people with rockets) as a forward push should break their lines and force them to regroup. Then we can get turrets and air support set up in a forward position. We need a flanker to go around back to take out any snipers and the mounted gun - then it is just a matter of maintaining pressure and possession.

Perhaps we should also get an assault on our team. Cagen was doing well fucking up our game when out in the open, then when it came to S&D he just pulled out his magnum and benefited from the additional armor his class has. Once both teams have players up in the towers, grenades and assault primarys are useless, but turrets and magnums are not. I did notice quite a few instances where we had multiple people in the [attack] tower, but no one was planting or really defending the player who was planting. In these situations, when you spawn, quickly take out people in your line of sight and then move to plant. If someone is already in the process of planting then use your body as a shield and kill anything in front of you.

We should also be repairing everything if only because it means that they will have to destroy it before they can repair it.

In bodycount we need to operate in groups of two but stick close to our squads so that we can overwhelm any individual attackers and also get people into flanked or pincer positions. We got owned because we didn't back off when they were able to press the advantage. Perhaps we should focus on where we can move the fire fights to in order to benefit us the most?

We owned capture and hold. Everything we did there was right. A spawn up top, and a spawn at the back are good ideas. Then we just need to keep the pressure on the front capture. So long as we can hold one and keep the other two contested then we can win.

Assassination is always a crap shoot and neither team was successful. I fucked up and didn't head for cover right away when I was made the inital target. My apologies team.

Individually we played very well, but we suffered as a team. I think that it is critical that we actually participate in skirmishes. 4 on 4 or 8 on 8 squad battles would probably do us well.

Cagen

the_prime_mover said:
Perhaps we should also get an assault on our team. Cagen was doing well fucking up our game when out in the open, then when it came to S&D he just pulled out his magnum and benefited from the additional armor his class has. Once both teams have players up in the towers, grenades and assault primarys are useless, but turrets and magnums are not.

:lol That's my job. I absolutely hate the rocket/grenade launcher and ditch it for a rifle as soon as possible though I could hardly ever find one in that game heh. The M4 is incredible though, 2 body hits to kill the enemy, decent firing rate and a decent sized clip, if you can practice with it and get good, it is fantastic.

An Assault is a pivotal class in a clan match, you are the primary target for grabbing the speaker and if playing properly the rest of the team should leave it on the ground if an assault is close by to take it, your boost and additional armour help a ton. They are excellent in body count and assassination, especially if you can pick up a rifle. In larger games such as what we played it is more hectic but in smaller games the class is second to none over all, though without your team mates and other classes you're obviously useless.

j-wood

Is the m4 you guys are talking about the default ISA rifle with the green dot scope? If not, when do you unlock this m4?

TheFatOne

the_prime_mover said:
GG tonight, and a great learning opportunity. I would like to suggest that everyone who participated in today's match watch the battle replay on Killzone.com.

To expand upon what Lyulf said, I think that spawn placement (and correct direction) is absolutely critical for the success of a team. In S&D[attack] we need spawn points in both towers facing the plant spot. In S&D[defend] we need one spawn point in the tower and a second one in between the two towers in order to manage traffic flows. Ideally each spawn point should be accompanied by two turrets and air support. If we can control one tower and the middle of the map then we should be able to sit back and launch rockets into the other tower to keep them occupied.

In Search and Retrieve we need a spawn point at the back facing out, and a spawn point in the middle facing the opposition's end. This way we can control the endzone and the middle ground. An assualt rush (2 people with rockets) as a forward push should break their lines and force them to regroup. Then we can get turrets and air support set up in a forward position. We need a flanker to go around back to take out any snipers and the mounted gun - then it is just a matter of maintaining pressure and possession.

Perhaps we should also get an assault on our team. Cagen was doing well fucking up our game when out in the open, then when it came to S&D he just pulled out his magnum and benefited from the additional armor his class has. Once both teams have players up in the towers, grenades and assault primarys are useless, but turrets and magnums are not. I did notice quite a few instances where we had multiple people in the [attack] tower, but no one was planting or really defending the player who was planting. In these situations, when you spawn, quickly take out people in your line of sight and then move to plant. If someone is already in the process of planting then use your body as a shield and kill anything in front of you.

We should also be repairing everything if only because it means that they will have to destroy it before they can repair it.

In bodycount we need to operate in groups of two but stick close to our squads so that we can overwhelm any individual attackers and also get people into flanked or pincer positions. We got owned because we didn't back off when they were able to press the advantage. Perhaps we should focus on where we can move the fire fights to in order to benefit us the most?

We owned capture and hold. Everything we did there was right. A spawn up top, and a spawn at the back are good ideas. Then we just need to keep the pressure on the front capture. So long as we can hold one and keep the other two contested then we can win.

Assassination is always a crap shoot and neither team was successful. I fucked up and didn't head for cover right away when I was made the inital target. My apologies team.

Individually we played very well, but we suffered as a team. I think that it is critical that we actually participate in skirmishes. 4 on 4 or 8 on 8 squad battles would probably do us well.

I agree with everything in here. That's why I am thinking of becoming the teams dedicated tactician. I could have tactician + reapair. I still need the ten ribbons though before I can do this. Once I get the ribbons required so that I could switch my secondary ability I can become deadly with the tactician. I could quickly set up spawn points in the other teams capture points, etc... Its just going to take me a bit of time before I can do this though. I have a general idea on where to place spawn points on all the different maps I just need to start practicing with the tactician more.

The practice game is going up at 6PM EST tomorrow. I am going to go over basic strategies and tactics, and I will keep everything simple. I want our strategy to be simple so that it will be easier to comunicate in game. Also I would like everyone who can make the game tomorrow let me know by posting if you can make the game or not.

Yeah, I am available for practice and the actual clan match tomorrow. If people are for it, perhaps we could set up a clan dedicated ribbon server earlier? I still don't have my magnum or my air support ribbons so it would be nice to get those unlocked.

I have said it before, but atm I suck with the ISA rifle. I also suck with the HGH rifle. But I have a pretty good idea about what makes a good tactician and don't mind stepping into that role if needed. Not having someone step up to that position usually means that there won't be one on the battle field which really hurts the team. I would love to play with the clan more often, and if I am going to play the tactician or medic roles then I will start practicing with the ARs. I don't normally play tact. because I hate the air support secondary. If I can unlock badge combos for that class then I think I would probably stick with it almost exclusively.

TheFatOne

the_prime_mover said:
Yeah, I am available for practice and the actual clan match tomorrow. If people are for it, perhaps we could set up a clan dedicated ribbon server earlier? I still don't have my magnum or my air support ribbons so it would be nice to get those unlocked.

I have said it before, but atm I suck with the ISA rifle. I also suck with the HGH rifle. But I have a pretty good idea about what makes a good tactician and don't mind stepping into that role if needed. Not having someone step up to that position usually means that there won't be one on the battle field which really hurts the team. I would love to play with the clan more often, and if I am going to play the tactician or medic roles then I will start practicing with the ARs. I don't normally play tact. because I hate the air support secondary. If I can unlock badge combos for that class then I think I would probably stick with it almost exclusively.

I can't get one air support ribbon. I could make the game at 5 if people want to get some ribbons before the match.

I'm going to try my best and be back for the match and practice tomorrow in case I'm needed and if I am I don't mind being tactician, it's one of my favorite classes actually.

I'll just need Lyulf to pm me the locations where you guys decide spawns should go in each mission if I'm not back for the practice and you need me to fill the roster.

grendelrt

Sorry I missed last night, I ended up buying a couch while out with the wifey. After getting a truck and moving it in I didnt get home until 7pm :( Is there going to be a practice or anything for the match tonight?

Looks like I probably won't be able to make the clan match tonight. My PS3 keeps failing the internet connection test even though everything else on my network seems to be working. I have no desire to go into my router and mess around with settings as I can't see any reason why things would have changed since last night. It is strange that it is failing the internet connection test . . . I don't know if this is a PSN problem or something else . . . I will power cycle again and keep trying to connect before the match, but atm I don't think I can be relied upon. If I am unable to make it then the best of luck. Lyulf, I sent you a PM for some ideas on things that can be done during the match.

TheFatOne

the_prime_mover said:
Looks like I probably won't be able to make the clan match tonight. My PS3 keeps failing the internet connection test even though everything else on my network seems to be working. I have no desire to go into my router and mess around with settings as I can't see any reason why things would have changed since last night. It is strange that it is failing the internet connection test . . . I don't know if this is a PSN problem or something else . . . I will power cycle again and keep trying to connect before the match, but atm I don't think I can be relied upon. If I am unable to make it then the best of luck. Lyulf, I sent you a PM for some ideas on things that can be done during the match.

I had the same problem so I reinstalled evrything and nothing worked. I was so mad I wanted to kill someone. I found out that my dog chewed out my cable lol. Had to get another cable then everything worked fine. Got the PM before I went to work I just got back from work so I am going to grab something to eat then I will set up the practice room. In about an hour the room will go up. I will post the details when its set. You don't have to join immediately but I do want everyone to join at 6PM. I am going to walk through the level and decide on different strategies. Everything is going to be simple.

If you can't make the game don't sweat it there will be more opportunities to play in another game. So just so you know I want everyone to join in at 6PM I will have it up earlier but that is so that I can figure out what to do. I'm off to lunch see you guys at 6PM.

TheFatOne

We lost pretty badly again. I will be back on later tonight though I hit my power switch when I got up cause I'm an idiot.

WHOA I want to set up a meeting in game with you so its easier to talk let me know the next time you will be on.

grendelrt

icechai said:
happened to me too, its cuz we joined gaf3 after the challenge was sent :(

Ah crap so I couldnt of played in either. BTW I played with you later that night, you were mopping up something fierce lol.

It may have been lost in the official thread, but I just wanted to let you guys know I WILL be back to the game soon. I've just been crazy busy lately and haven't had time for games (and barely time for GAF as well...).

Anyway, can't wait to jump back in with all of you. I may need a bit of a refresher...haha!

Facism

TheFatOne said:
We lost pretty badly again. I will be back on later tonight though I hit my power switch when I got up cause I'm an idiot.

WHOA I want to set up a meeting in game with you so its easier to talk let me know the next time you will be on.

What strategies do you employ for each mission? What's the makeup of your squads?

I have had the most horrible realization. I am certain that in the birth of this thought I have unwittingly brought about the end and we will quite shortly face one of the worst turn of events for this game. I dare not post this terror in the main thread for fear of lurkers getting wind of it and bringing upon the inevitable downfall sooner. My realization was both simple, and profound.

It unfolds thusly,

The Assault class is overpowered. Of this, I am sure everyone is more or less aware. The reason it is overpowered is three fold. One, the Assault starts with 2x health. Two, unlike every other class in the game, the Assault will always regen 1.25x health of their own accord (meaning it will always take 2 sniper shots to kill them if they are allowed to heal). Three, when utilized by the Assault, and the Assault only, boost will regen health back up to 2x. The balance that GG implemented was a relatively limited arsenal.

However, taking all of this into account, would it not make sense for everyone on a team to initially spawn as their class of choice, suicide, respawn as Assault and then pick up the weapon from their corpse? With only a few ammo dispenser repairs and once in a while respawning as a tactician, you would have a team that had all of the strengths of other classes with none of the weaknesses.

If you prefer to play as scout why not play as an Assault with Spot&Mark + sniper rifle? You would be able to spot other scouts and kill them, but if they try to kill you they will have to hit you twice to your once.

Boost on the Assault is a better version of the bloodbag secondary. You wouldn't need a disguise because (worst case scenario) you have super speed. You wouldn't need turrets because you can blitz into a group and hold your own ground anyway. But most importantly, if you don't use boost for movement then you have almost unlimited life. Just enter a firefight with boost ready. You have 2x life. Kill and take damage. Once you are down to 0.5x health activate boost and move away from the fire fight. You will reheal to 2x health (or very near it) at which point you can re-enter the fire fight. Imagine a squad of 4 or a team of 8 operating in this way . . .

Every class benefits from the use of boost, but even better is that Assault can benefit from every other weapon.

I fear that in the coming months, if GG does not take steps, we will see games that are almost completely populated by Assaults without rockets. Ultimately the only solution will be servers that turn off Assault completely (which also means no boost secondary for any class).

TheFatOne

Kittonwy is making a new GAF clan. He is trying to consolidate the different US GAF clans. He posted about it on the official Killzone 2 clan thread I am going to try and join this clan, and would suggest anyone who is serious about playing in a clan should join up. GAF3 just doesn't have enough active members for us to have a serious clan. I hope some of the guys that I played with on a regular/semi regular basis join this new clan. This decision is not an easy one and I hope GAF3 can still survive, but I want to be in a more active clan. All the best wishes.

I too, am going to join the new clan. If nobody steps up to take over the lead within the next 3 days, I am going to disband this clan, as I can't leave until we have another leader.

Send me a pm if you don't plan on leaving GAF3 and are willing to take over. To the people that are truly serious about wanting to get into competitive play, I hope to see you in the new clan.

Top Bottom