• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF help: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost or 2016 Camaro V6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGOMON

So am planning to buy a budget muscle car so naturally my choices are either the Mustang or the Camaro (don't like the Challenger at all)
cover.jpg

My budget: $27,000
Cars: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L (310hp) / 2016 Camaro 1LT 3.6L V6 (335hp)
Wanted features: Automatic transmission, Parking sensors, Reverse camera, Cruise control
Bonus features: Big screen, leather seat, blind spots indicators, any useful feature

Now personally i love the Mustang and always did i actually went directly with this option without considering the new Camaro but after checking the Mustang i had a second thought regarding the interior; small screen (4") fabric seats, no driving modes.
While the Camaro have all what the Mustang lack and have more power but i don't really like the design of the Camaro especially from the back (ugly taillights)

So now am torn i don't know what to choose and would like your feedback maybe am overlooking something that might help me choose the better option.

Edit:
Alright i expanded my options now:
Mustang Ecoboost vs Camaro 3.6 vs BRZ vs 370z vs Camstang*

*Used V8 stang/camaro with low mileage, relatively new 2014/2015, <$30K

BTW i don't live in the US so our pre-owned market isn't as good as yours

Dishwalla

Banned
Mustang Ecoboost, no contest. Would be exponentially more fun with a stick though.

Any Camaro without a V8 just sounds boring. At least with the Mustang you can have fun with the turbo.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's a sports car

Either go with, at minimum, the V8 standard model, or go with anothe car entirely.

Honestly don't understand this viewpoint, neither of them are really "sports cars" and both of them have featured V6 options since they were introduced back in the 60s. Not to mention just how much power V6s put out these days.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Sounds like you're set on new; but I'd look at a V8 that's a year or two old. Can probably find one within your budget, with a couple more years of warranty, and under 30K miles.... And it'll be infinitely more fun.

For $27k, you have a LOT of options that will be more fun than a 6cyl muscle car. But if it MUST be between those two; get the Mustang, as the turbo is a bit of fun - and I say that as a guy who ranks them as: Challenger then Camaro then Mustang.

EGOMON

Sounds like you're set on new; but I'd look at a V8 that's a year or two old. Can probably find one within your budget, with a couple more years of warranty, and under 30K miles.... And it'll be infinitely more fun.

For $27k, you have a LOT of options that will be more fun than a 6cyl muscle car. But if it MUST be between those two; get the Mustang, as the turbo is a bit of fun - and I say that as a guy who ranks them as: Challenger then Camaro then Mustang.
Thanks Skel1ingt0n for your input, I actually would live a V8 but fuel economy is a big factor to me currently as am getting married and moving to a new apartment so am trying to balance between my enthusiasm for sports car and new life responsibilities.
As you said I am set on a new car, though am intrigued by your ranking I mean the challenger looks old and kinda heavy

UFO

Banned
A v6 Camaro with the automatic is going to have NO resale value. You'd be killing yourself financial buying that.

The ecoboost mustang is better, but again the AT is going to hurt.

Honestly, don't buy either. Don't be one of these losers who buys a base "sports car" and regrets it immediately. Your car note and depreciation will be so high you'll literally be going backwards in value.

If you can't drive stick, and don't want to pay the gas bill, DONT BUY A SPORTS CAR.

There are a ton of fun, practical, sporty cars you can buy in that range that will better suit your needs.

EGOMON

A v6 Camaro with the automatic is going to have NO resale value. You'd be killing yourself financial buying that.

The ecoboost mustang is better, but again the AT is going to hurt.

Honestly, don't buy either. Don't be one of these losers who buys a base "sports car" and regrets it immediately. Your car note and depreciation will be so high you'll literally be going backwards in value.

If you can't drive stick, and don't want to pay the gas bill, DONT BUY A SPORTS CAR.

There are a ton of fun, practical, sporty cars you can buy in that range that will better suit your needs.
What other options I have :(
I want a car that looks good and fun to drive

Test drive first. I rode in my friend's camaro which belongs to his fiance. He hates the visibility and blindspots. It's atrocious. Not in a nice, slanted sports-car way, just dangerous. You have a few inches of vertical visibility due to the dash, chair, windshield angle and the giant hood. I can't imagine driving that in heavy rain.

Ultryx

OP don't listen to any of the assholes telling you not to get an automatic or don't bother if it isn't a V8.

Choose the one you like the best. I've always been partial to Mustangs (I own one myself). My dad has a nice SS with a supercharger though also and that thing screams. It looks sexy too. I would definitely consider getting a Camaro if I was shopping around.

UFO

Banned
What other options I have :(
I want a car that looks good and fun to drive

BRZ/FRS
VW golf GTI
Focus ST
Mazda speed3
WRX
Civic
Mazda Miata

Or buy a used mustang GT. What you'll speed in gas you'll make up for in insurance and depreciation.

OP don't listen to any of the assholes telling you not to get an automatic or don't bother if it isn't a V8.

Don't listen to this guy. I'm not giving you advice based in my taste, I'm giving to financial advice, to save you a lot of money.

nullref

VW Gti, with the dsg you'll have lots of fun and it gets great mileage. Get the base with lightning package. It has everything you need.

That's what I have (an SE with the Performance Pack, though), and I love it. I think it's the best fun and practical car in the price range, but I'm not sure it appeals to the same buyer that wants muscle car looks.

EGOMON

BRZ/FRS - too weak 190hp?
VW golf GTI - isn't as eye-catchy as the stang or the camaro
Focus ST - same as the golf
Mazda speed3 - nope
WRX - don't want four doors
Civic - boring and weak
Mazda Miata - too small not for me

ugh the only one acceptable out of that list is the Golf but i want a car that looks good

otapnam

The new mustang has one helluva nice silhouette. It's like they found the design they've been looking for the last 20 years

EGOMON

Don't listen to this guy. I'm not giving you advice based in my taste, I'm giving to financial advice, to save you a lot of money.
Regarding the financial advice i really appreciate your view of this, but i don't want to sell the car i want to use it for the next 6 years then upgrade to a better Sport car, what do you think?

My financial status is good i work as Marine Engineer in Government-owned oil company so am financially secured i just don't want to spend a lot of money at the moment as am planning to buy a house few years from now.

Are you going get pass the fees+taxes at that budget with all those features? I'd say go used with low mileage + V8. Get your fill, sell it, and then pick up something for the family.

EGOMON

The new mustang has one helluva nice silhouette. It's like they found the design they've been looking for the last 20 years

The back is so fucking beautiful i am in love with it, though the front-end left so much to be desired however the Shelby front grill fixes that, actually my dream car is the 2016 Shelby GT350R

24340319927533656.jpg

GODLY LOOKING BEAUTY

EGOMON

Are you going get pass the fees+taxes at that budget with all those features? I'd say go used with low mileage + V8. Get your fill, sell it, and then pick up something for the family.
No taxes in my country just buy the car and go
My wife have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe so that our family car :D

Dishwalla

Banned
"Go big" alright, the Challenger is a boat and has all the grace of a brick. Behemoth of a car.

Also lol at "price N/A", if you have to ask you can't afford it right?

EGOMON

OP. Either go big or go home!

Dodge Challenger Hellcat. 700+ horsepower.

Vroom Vroom!

DON'T FUCKING TEASE ME!!
This car is insane am actually afraid of it i think i would kill my self in an accident if i ever owned thats why it is a big NO NO

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thanks Skel1ingt0n for your input, I actually would live a V8 but fuel economy is a big factor to me currently as am getting married and moving to a new apartment so am trying to balance between my enthusiasm for sports car and new life responsibilities.
As you said I am set on a new car, though am intrigued by your ranking I mean the challenger looks old and kinda heavy

The Challenger is pretty old at this point; no doubt. And heavy. And the base V8 is underpowered.

But... But, even ignoring the bat-shit-insane Hellcat... I can snag a nearly 500 horsepower, manual transmission American BEAST like this

with an 8.4" UConnect, good sound system, leather, and convenience niceties for under $40K lightly used... several thousand less if you look really hard.

That's, IMO, the bargain of the century. And it looks absolutely bad ass. It's brash. It's mean. It's got ALL of the old school charm I love about the wild west of muscle cars that came before me and I missed out on.

While I understand your sentiment and interests OP, you need to think about the resale value. It's going to tank right after you drive it off the lot. Those are neat cars, though.

I'd recommend a different sporty car. For instance, the Scion FR-S is around $25-26k, gets 30 mpg, and looks awesome. Scions hold their value fairly well.
There's also the Suburu BRZ at $26k. Suburu's hold their value crazy well.

golem

Having driven neither of these cars and based on appearance and heresay alone, I would go with the Mustang. Just love the way it looks.

EGOMON

The Challenger is pretty old at this point; no doubt. And heavy. And the base V8 is underpowered.

But... But, even ignoring the bat-shit-insane Hellcat... I can snag a nearly 500 horsepower, manual transmission American BEAST like this

with an 8.4" UConnect, good sound system, leather, and convenience niceties for under $40K lightly used... several thousand less if you look really hard.

That's, IMO, the bargain of the century. And it looks absolutely bad ass. It's brash. It's mean. It's got ALL of the old school charm I love about the wild west of muscle cars that came before me and I missed out on.
Now i see where you coming from nice car if i could find those exact specs but maybe not now who knows i might come a cross a jackpot Challenger deal

I've always liked the GM side of performance better than Ford(specifically I loved the Trans Am/Firebirds the best but they're no longer around) but in this case the Camaro is just too boring imo. I like the way the new stang's look better. As for V6 and AT, you may be limiting your resell options in the future. I personally would never buy a Mustang or a Camaro without a V8 but thats me. If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably pick the Mustang in terms of looks.

Its honestly going to come down to whats more important to you, features or looks. and definitely test drive both of them. Some have different road feel, interior size, etc.

I'm a bit surprised those are considered muscle cars to be honest. I thought a V8 is a prerequisite for that category.

If you want to be technical about it, I "think" the mustang/camaros were "pony cars" and I always thought of the bigger cars back then like the GTO were muscle cars.

EGOMON

While I understand your sentiment and interests OP, you need to think about the resale value. It's going to tank right after you drive it off the lot. Those are neat cars, though.

I'd recommend a different sporty car. For instance, the Scion FR-S is around $25-26k, gets 30 mpg, and looks awesome. Scions hold their value fairly well.
There's also the Suburu BRZ at $26k. Suburu's hold their value crazy well.
Hmmm alright will add the BRZ to the list am gonna check it out
Also am gonna check the Golf GTi though 80% sure i won't like them as i always been in love with American muscle cars i had 2004 Mustang GT V8, 2009 Camaro V6 and recently i used my brother's 2014 Camaro SS.

I have a weak spot for the american sports car they just look... unique

EGOMON

I've always liked the GM side of performance better than Ford(specifically I loved the Trans Am/Firebirds the best but they're no longer around) but in this case the Camaro is just too boring imo. I like the way the new stang's look better. As for V6 and AT, you may be limiting your resell options in the future. I personally would never buy a Mustang or a Camaro without a V8 but thats me. If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably pick the Mustang in terms of looks.

Its honestly going to come down to whats more important to you, features or looks. and definitely test drive both of them. Some have different road feel, interior size, etc.
I am not too worried about the resell value as am planning to use it for next 6 years but yeah am gonna test them both first already tried the stang just waiting for the Camaro to hit our dealerships.

Have you thought about leasing? Sure, you don't own the car, and some people like to say it is throwing money away, but it is no different than renting a house or apartment.

Lease prices aren't simply based on purchase price, they have other factors that, for example, cause a more expensive Audi A4 to be cheaper to lease than an A3.

The Ford Mustang (Ecoboost, non-convertible) has, last time I checked, excellent money factor and residual values that are making the lease payments pretty affordable. You may be able to step up to the Ecoboost Premium with the goodies that you want for cheaper than the payment for purchasing the base Ecoboost.

Now, if you want a long term car that you know you will hang on to for many, many years, then definitely don't consider leasing.

Namikaze

Accord Touring V6 Coupe, It might be FWD but it has somewhat sporty looks, great resale value, and an overall nice interior. Lower insurance costs than a sports car while having more than enough power too.

http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016_Honda_Accord_Touring_Coupe_Review.jpg

Edit: posting this since you asked what else you could get. You brought up the Honda civic but like you said it's weak, no point in even looking at the lower level Hondas.

Also, the accord has VCM which basically stops sending fuel to a few of the cylinders to save on gas. If you're seriously buying a mustang or Camaro etc and are expecting great fuel economy somehow, you'll be disappointed.

Mustang, easily. Given the choice, I'd always choose a turbo over a naturally aspirated with comparable power. Turbo will give you so many tuning options. Can get massive gains in horsepower and torque with a simple chip tune and a few bolt-ons.

SliChillax

the V8 prices are way too high also fuel consumption as i said i want everyday car to drive in city traffic

Sounds like you don't want a muscle car then. But I don't know much about the lower end models, I just know that the V8 Camaro is a much better vehicle than the V8 Mustang. I've heard reviewers praise it's chassis and handling being better than the Mustang. I say test drive them both.

Clockwork

I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium that I bought brand new the beginning of May last year.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Get the GT. Gas mileage isn't horrible if you don't drive like a moron. The car is heavy and you really need the V8 to feel any oomph imo. (my last few prior cars most recent to older - 2013 Subaru WRX, 2007 Nissan 350z, 2006 Subaru WRX STI - so it may just be me)

2) Don't get an automatic (unless you have lots of stop and go commutes...). Half the fun is driving the 6spd

3) See what prices are for a used one and/or see if you can get Ford's X-Plan pricing on a new one. I saved around $3k via X-Plan.

If none of that sounds good and you are interested more in the tech/creature comfort aspects just get the Camaro. It's a pretty solid package.

(to be honest though, if you want sporty looks and don't care as much about power I would even recommend the BRZ. It may not have a lot of power, but it handles and drives like a dream. At least test drive one.)

LosDaddie

Banned
the V8 prices are way too high also fuel consumption as i said i want everyday car to drive in city traffic

Sounds like you don't want a muscle car then. I mean, if you're dead set on one of these, then I'd get the Mustang since its a tad slimmer than the Camaro.

Like others have said, look into other options. You can get a lot of car for $27k. I'm a family man and got a loaded new Passat TDi for $26k.

Honestly don't understand this viewpoint, neither of them are really "sports cars" and both of them have featured V6 options since they were introduced back in the 60s. Not to mention just how much power V6s put out these days.

People laugh at those who get muscle cars, and then opt for the V6 option. It's like drinking non-alcoholic beer, or decaf coffee. What's the point.

These cars are designed with a V8 in mind.

daveo42

Banned
It's not a muscle car unless it's got a V8. That's a decent car budget too, but if you want a muscle car, then you should at least go with something with oomph. Otherwise you should get something more economical like a sedan. Also, what's the deal with the automatic "nope" on the Mazda?

This, man, car elitism is very very real.

BRZ/FRS - too weak 190hp?
VW golf GTI - isn't as eye-catchy as the stang or the camaro

Focus ST - same as the golf
Mazda speed3 - nope

WRX - don't want four doors
Civic - boring and weak
Mazda Miata - too small not for me

ugh the only one acceptable out of that list is the Golf but i want a car that looks good

Hmm...

EGOMON

Just to clarify the fuel economy point I don't mean 30+ mpg sport car I want something in the middle.

Anyway I think now I have a clear idea on what to do am going to check some of the suggested cars here and look again into the V8 variants

If nothing works, the Mustang it is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom