• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF help: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost or 2016 Camaro V6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

OP why are you hating on the Miata?
How tall are you to say it's too small?

I own a 16' Miata. It's easily the best, most fun car I've ever driven. I'm 6'1" about 175lbs and I fit just fine. There are guys taller and heavier than me that also fit fine. They're not for everybody though. A 2 seater with a tiny trunk isn't the most practical.

At the very least, I would test drive one if I were you OP. Take it on some twisty roads. After you're done test driving a Miata, get back into a Camaro or Mustang, and you'll feel like you're driving a sluggish tank. They really are fat pigs, and they feel like shit in comparison.

UFO

Banned
Once you drive a Low Center of Gravity, light weight Sportscar , It is a completely different experience than a Muscle car. You will see that 200 is more than enough. 300-350Hp is the power a car like the Porsche Cayman GT,Lotus Evora..etc have and that car is $60k+.

Completely agree. I have a GTI and Miata, both have less then 150hp, but both are plenty fast and extremely fun to drive.

Abounder

Banned
While the Camaro have all what the Mustang lack and have more power but i don't really like the design of the Camaro especially from the back (ugly taillights)

So now am torn i don't know what to choose and would like your feedback maybe am overlooking something that might help me choose the better option.

Based on that I would get the Mustang because half the fun is looking at it. Also it's a better daily driver because of its seat position and visibility, Camaro feels like a bathtub in a bunker

Shadoken

Since people keep bringing up speed or performance. Here are some 0-60 numbers of the cars. Now granted 0-60 doesn't really tell the entire story and there are tons of other things that actually make up the cars performance , even with the margin of error it gives a rough indicator of straight line performance. ( Which is mostly what you do in daily driving anyway , unless you plan on tracking the car)

http://www.zeroto60times.com/

MX-5 - 5.8s
Ecoboost Mustang - 5.4s
Camaro V6 - 5.1s
FRS/BRZ - 6.1s
370Z - 4.9s
Challenger V6 - 6.1s
VW GTI - 5.7s

Now taking into account a margin of error of about 1 second or so. They dont really seem all that different do they?

Just try out the different cars and go with which ever you think looks and drives best. In the real world there is noway you would actually notice these millisecond differences. The driver matters more than the car.

We are kind of in a golden age rebirth of sports car , there isnt really a "bad" choice to go for ( well maybe except a few of them ).

UncleMeat

Another problem with the z28 or GT is that your obsession with it will force you to buy a backup clunker car for late night gas station runs, trips to target, or just anywhere you don't feel 100% safe parking it; also any bad weather including rain will get it dirty and you can't have that.

So if you don't want two cars or to park a half mile away from any entrance I'd stick with the v6 models.

edit: movie recommendation for challenger bros: Vanishing Point. The original not that Viggo remake piece of shit. I'd like to think I'm preaching to the choir but you never know.

The Beard

I got the impression it was still a 7 - 8 second car from stories about the latest model, I guess small weight drops and small HP boosts add up after a while.

It's nearly 200lbs lighter than the previous generation, which is almost unheard of, cars tend to get bigger and heavier with ever increasing safety requirements and demands for creature comforts.

The 2016 Miata actually lost 12 HP from the outgoing generation, but gained 8ftlb of torque. Power is now available earlier in the rev range, therefore it's more useable and noticeable. Despite the dip in HP, the power/weight ratio is higher now because of the significant weight loss.

It's such a great car. I get around 28-30 mpg in the city without even trying.

RobertM

I drive a Automatic V6 Challenger and I love it. The car looks like a beast, people always turn their heads when they see it, and it's enjoyable to drive.
xmDpj

Macattk15

No love or mention for Chargers? I see all the Challenger talk?

We only talking about 2 doors?

I absolutely love my R/T Charger as my daily driver.

Rival

Gold Member
I love mustangs and would buy a new GT if I lived somewhere where there wasn't snow and ice during the winter. That being said I drove an eco boost mustang convertible automatic last winter on vacation for a week and really liked it. I found the engine surprisingly responsive. But they are absolutely nothing compared to the v8's.

Shadybiz

I would go for the Mustang myself. Seriously contemplating getting one as my next car, in like 4 years or whenever mine dies.

The Camaro is a sweet car, of course, but I know the visibility leaves something to be desired.

EGOMON

Alright i expanded my options:
Mustang Ecoboost vs Camaro 3.6 vs BRZ vs 370z vs Camstang*

*Used V8 stang/camaro with low mileage, relatively new 2014/2015, <$30K

BTW i don't live in the US so our pre-owned market isn't as good as yours

IISANDERII

So am planning to buy a budget muscle car so naturally my choices are either the Mustang or the Camaro (don't like the Challenger at all)
cover.jpg

My budget: $27,000
Cars: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L (310hp) / 2016 Camaro 1LT 3.6L V6 (335hp)
Wanted features: Automatic transmission, Parking sensors, Reverse camera, Cruise control
Bonus features: Big screen, leather seat, blind spots indicators, any useful feature

Now personally i love the Mustang and always did i actually went directly with this option without considering the new Camaro but after checking the Mustang i had a second thought regarding the interior; small screen (4") fabric seats, no driving modes.
While the Camaro have all what the Mustang lack and have more power but i don't really like the design of the Camaro especially from the back (ugly taillights)

So now am torn i don't know what to choose and would like your feedback maybe am overlooking something that might help me choose the better option.

Edit:
My friend has an Ecobooster 2016 Mustang and has leather interior and the screen looks much larger than 4"

GHG

Gold Member

Oh I just realised you're in Oman. Run a mile from any ecoboost car and don't look back. Ford Ecoboost engines have heat soak issues so you will not be able to get the quoted power out of the engine for most of the year.

The Toyota GT86 and Nissan 370Z should be good options because they are tried and tested reliable engines/parts and there is plenty of support for those brands in the Middle East.

I'd be quite wary of used muscle cars here (I'm in Dubai) as some of them will have been raced and generally treated quite badly so be careful if you go that route. When I was looking for my first car after I moved over here 3 years ago I had a lot of trouble finding a well taken care of v8 muscle car so I gave up and got something entirely different instead.

The Challenger is pretty old at this point; no doubt. And heavy. And the base V8 is underpowered.

But... But, even ignoring the bat-shit-insane Hellcat... I can snag a nearly 500 horsepower, manual transmission American BEAST like this

with an 8.4" UConnect, good sound system, leather, and convenience niceties for under $40K lightly used... several thousand less if you look really hard.

That's, IMO, the bargain of the century. And it looks absolutely bad ass. It's brash. It's mean. It's got ALL of the old school charm I love about the wild west of muscle cars that came before me and I missed out on.

I'm a Camaro guy through and through... but those Challenger's look bad fucking ass.

For me it'd be Camaro SS > Challenger SRT > Mustang GT

Get the BRZ.

Subaru >>>>>>>>> all and I say this as a red-blooded American who loves loud and fast cars

EGOMON

Oh I just realised you're in Oman. Run a mile from any ecoboost car and don't look back. Ford Ecoboost engines have heat soak issues so you will not be able to get the quoted power out of the engine for most of the year.

The Toyota GT86 and Nissan 370Z should be good options because they are tried and tested reliable engines/parts and there is plenty of support for those brands in the Middle East.

I'd be quite wary of used muscle cars here (I'm in Dubai) as some of them will have been raced and generally treated quite badly so be careful if you go that route. When I was looking for my first car after I moved over here 3 years ago I had a lot of trouble finding a well taken care of v8 muscle car so I gave up and got something entirely different instead.
Yeah I had that concern so I asked for ecoboost owner numbers so that I can talk to them
Have you test driven a BRZ? That would be the next step to take.
I went to the Dealership today and they said it is not coming to Oman anymore :(
My friend has an Ecobooster 2016 Mustang and has leather interior and the screen looks much larger than 4"
Yeah that's the premium trim level of the ecoboost

psylah

I hate Toyota
Seems am left with 370z, Camaro v6 and Golf GTi... Ugh

I'd vote for Z, the coupe designed to house and complement a V6.

It may be the last Z we'll see in our lifetime. Nissan has given not a word about a successor, even with a V6TT Infiniti Q60 coupe around the corner.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Buying a V6 muscle car is a no no. Get a Camry. I say get a Subaru BRZ if you want a V6, and you can get the higher model for around 25k-27k.

ApharmdX

Banned
I hate Toyota

Out of those I'd go with the 370z. The Camaro is a boat. The GTi is plain jane, really boring styling. You want an attractive coupe, something cool, right?

Also, the BRZ/FRS will feel dog-slow compared to a 370z.

nullref

Out of those I'd go with the 370z. The Camaro is a boat.

I haven't driven either, but I wonder if they'd feel closer than the Camaro's muscle car reputation would suggest. Reviews call out the handling in the latest Camaro as quite good, and it has good reviews in general. The Camaro is a fair bit longer, but not that much heavier, with comparable V6 power.

People have long-standing contempt for non-V8 muscle cars, but the latest V6 Camaro and EcoBoost Mustang sound like better cars than the non-V8s were in the past. Not really my style regardless, but I don't know if they deserve sneers anymore.

UFO

Banned
I hate Toyota

1. It's the same car. Find one to test drive- be it a Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ, or Toyota 86- before deciding on any car.

2. Strike the v6 Camaro off your list. It's not worth it. We're talking about 120hp and almost 200ft/lb of torque difference. You will easily make up 90% of the cost difference when it's time to resell, and you will enjoy it sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuch moooooooooore.

People have long-standing contempt for non-V8 muscle cars, but the latest V6 Camaro and EcoBoost Mustang sound like better cars than the non-V8s were in the past. Not really my style regardless, but I don't know if they deserve sneers anymore.

They're not as bad as older V6's, but we're living in a time where a simple tune can give you a 500hp car for under $30,000. Why would you, when you can finally afford your dream sports car, deprive yourself of that?

The V6 Camaro sounds good, with 335hp, but keep in mind that it only has 284ft/lbs of toque, and weighs about 3,600lbs. Even a 3.5L V6 Honda Accord puts out 252ft/lbs.

EGOMON

1. It's the same car. Find one to test drive- be it a Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ, or Toyota 86- before deciding on any car.

2. Strike the v6 Camaro off your list. It's not worth it. We're talking about 120hp and almost 200ft/lb of torque difference. You will easily make up 90% of the cost difference when it's time to resell, and you will enjoy it sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuch moooooooooore.
Everyone in my country drive a Toyota, anyway i will request a test drive to see how it handles and if it have enough power for my liking.

Yeah i went to the Chevy dealership and i changed my mind, the interior of the 1LT is even worse than the Ecoboost.

Now am really leaning toward the 370z, i will go to the dealership today and see though am worried about the features since its been in the market for what 4 years?

Any other suggestions guys?
I want to check the GTi but FWD is just very unfun :(

GHG

Gold Member
What about the Golf R or is that out of your price range? They are highly marked up here in Dubai but don't know what it's like in Oman.

Everyone in my country drive a Toyota, anyway i will request a test drive to see how it handles and if it have enough power for my liking.

Yeah i went to the Chevy dealership and i changed my mind, the interior of the 1LT is even worse than the Ecoboost.

Now am really leaning toward the 370z, i will go to the dealership today and see though am worried about the features since its been in the market for what 4 years?

Any other suggestions guys?
I want to check the GTi but FWD is just very unfun :(

I drive a Honda S2000 and my homeboy drives a 370Z it has a very premium feel to it. Even tho it's been in the market for a while, the interior doesn't feel cheap at all.

EGOMON

What about the Golf R or is that out of your price range? They are highly marked up here in Dubai but don't know what it's like in Oman.
Golf are popular here too but no idea about the trim levels and price i guess i have to check it out too
I drive a Honda S2000 and my homeboy drives a 370Z it has a very premium feel to it. Even tho it's been in the market for a while, the interior doesn't feel cheap at all.
Yeah i was just reading reviews and it sound it had all the modern features but one thing shocked me there is no USB or Bluetooth in the base model which i assume the one am going to get since it is really cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom