• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF help: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost or 2016 Camaro V6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGOMON

It's not a muscle car unless it's got a V8. That's a decent car budget too, but if you want a muscle car, then you should at least go with something with oomph. Otherwise you should get something more economical like a sedan. Also, what's the deal with the automatic "nope" on the Mazda?

Hmm...
Nope not because of the car but rather the Dealership here and their workshop never again

BRZ/FRS - too weak 190hp?
VW golf GTI - isn't as eye-catchy as the stang or the camaro
Focus ST - same as the golf
Mazda speed3 - nope
WRX - don't want four doors
Civic - boring and weak
Mazda Miata - too small not for me

ugh the only one acceptable out of that list is the Golf but i want a car that looks good

Eye-catchy?

Everyone and their mother has a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Charger, etc.

Dre3001

I think its time people retire the old saying, "if it isn't a v8 it isn't a muscle car".

That notion may have been true in the 80s and 90s but the current v6 models of both the mustang and camaro have over 300 hp and almost as much torque.

Mazda speed3 - nope
Civic - boring and weak

ugh the only one acceptable out of that list is the Golf but i want a car that looks good

So essentially you want an outfit on wheels.

Catdaddy

Seriously, stay away from that ecoboost crap. If you must get a mustang, get a used v8.

I have a Ford with Ecoboost and more often than I hoped get the "turbo-lag" when trying to accelerate quickly. Nothing worse than flooring it to get into traffic and the car goes "what?? oh sorry...vroom"..

I almost went for a Mustang but figured the "sports-car novelty" would wear off in a month or so and regret getting something more practical.

j0hnnix

I would save your money for the V8.. A muscle car is not a muscle car without the V8 or the MT.. You would be laughed at because of having the AT, You can argue your preference being the city etc but real enthusiasts with not buy it.

Not saying you OP but some justify getting a V6 because of fuel economy, and I will not understand the reasoning behind getting a V6 "Muscle Car" for fuel economy either.. my GTO with all mods does 8mpg, i dont care about the fuel economy, with a muscle car you dont care about it it is a weekend car.

No offense me and my friend (owns the 2013 Mustang GT) laughs at v6 stangs and I make them cry with my old GTO.. You will be the butt of the joke in a V6.

The Beard

I tried the Mustang and i liked it though i didn't feel the instant boost from the turbo everyone keep talking about

Some turbo cars have that rush of power, some don't. From what I've heard about the ecoboost Stang, it doesn't. Where a lot of sporty turbo cars really excel, in the upper rpm range, the Mustang starts to putter out. There are a few tuners on the market that you can buy that would address the high rpm power dip.

If I were you, I'd go with the ecoboost, V6 "muscle cars" are sad. I have a very low mileage, well taken care of 2013 Mustang GT that I'm debating whether to sell or not, if you're interested. I'm in CA though.

SpecX

The Challenger is pretty old at this point; no doubt. And heavy. And the base V8 is underpowered.

But... But, even ignoring the bat-shit-insane Hellcat... I can snag a nearly 500 horsepower, manual transmission American BEAST like this

with an 8.4" UConnect, good sound system, leather, and convenience niceties for under $40K lightly used... several thousand less if you look really hard.

That's, IMO, the bargain of the century. And it looks absolutely bad ass. It's brash. It's mean. It's got ALL of the old school charm I love about the wild west of muscle cars that came before me and I missed out on.

This all the way. Also the Challenger got a refresh a year or 2 ago with the 8 speed tranny, improved interior, and minor exterior changes (can't improve what's already perfect!). I still can't believe how much power they give you in the car for the price. The SRT 392 might be my next vehicle as the Hellcat would probably kill me.

UFO

Banned
No offense me and my friend (owns the 2013 Mustang GT) laughs at v6 stangs and I make them cry with my old GTO.. You will be the butt of the joke in a V6.

He's not looking at the V6, just the ecoboost.

Personally I would look for a used 2015 GT, should be able to find one for around 25K.

The Beard

I think its time people retire the old saying, "if it isn't a v8 it isn't a muscle car".

That notion may have been true in the 80s and 90s but the current v6 models of both the mustang and camaro have over 300 hp and almost as much torque.

They're sort of impressive on paper, especially when compared to the V6 models of yesteryear, but they're dogs IRL. Don't get hung up on the #'s, because they can be very misleading, especially since most people completely ignore, or are oblivious to, what RPM those V6 engines make their peak power at + the insane weight of these cars.

black_13

Banned
There's also the Hyundai Genesis. Comes in i4 turbo or V6. I'd buy it slightly used tho cause resale is garbage despite it being a nice car.

The Beard

There's also the Hyundai Genesis. Comes in i4 turbo or V6. I'd buy it slightly used tho cause resale is garbage despite it being a nice car.

Feel like the Genesis is a good alternative, yeah. Better than any of the cars on that other list, at least for me.

Naw, Korean cars drive like shit. Look up professional reviews on the Genesis. Looks good on paper, but sucks IRL. Also, the newer models with the vented hoods are ugly as hell IMO

Shadoken

Do not just follow HP number figures , they dont tell the whole story. Weight and dirving feel are very important factors. It is why the Challenger is slower than the Mustang/Camaro despite putting very similar horsepower figures.

If it has to be between the Ecoboost and the Camaro V6. Go with the Mustang , it has much better fuel economy and MUCH better visibility and drivability. It also doesnt look as awkward as the new camaro which has way too many things going on in its design IMHO. ( and it seems you also share this same opinion ). Just remember you can always up the performance of the car , but you cant change how it looks without investing a ton of money.

Mazda speed3 - nope
Civic - boring and weak

It weighs 2700lbs. The Mustang and Camaro are 3600+

Power to weight ratio isnt all that different from the Entry level muscle cars. And it handles just as good as Porsches. The new 2017 Toyota 86 ( FRS is dead now , it is getting a new model this year and Rebranded as Toyotas like the rest of the world ) is also getting a more aggressive gearing and transmission for better acceleration.

It might not have the same pull as the Mustang , but it will be much faster on curvy roads than a straight one. It is a real drivers car. Mustangs and Camaros weigh the same as any big Sedans so they need the extra power to be fun.

Once you drive a Low Center of Gravity, light weight Sportscar , It is a completely different experience than a Muscle car. You will see that 200 is more than enough. 300-350Hp is the power a car like the Porsche Cayman GT,Lotus Evora..etc have and that car is $60k+.

Here is Top Gear's review of the 86/FRS/BRZ
http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-drives-toyota-gt86-series-19-episode-3

It even got the "Car of the year" award from them when it came out. You should definitely give it a Test Drive when the 2017 models roll out in a few months. On the flip side , the older models are probably getting sold at much cheaper prices ( I have seen some for $22-$23k new ).

370z or a 350z Nismo

I have a 350 and I know for sure my next car will be a 370z and I want a 240zx as a project car.

This is also a very good option. 370z is very fast car in its price range.

Golf GTI is a great car And is by far the most practical car in this whole bunch ( along with the WRX ) , but it is FWD . IMHO I find RWD cars much more fun.

So am planning to buy a budget muscle car so naturally my choices are either the Mustang or the Camaro (don't like the Challenger at all)
cover.jpg

My budget: $27,000
Cars: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L (310hp) / 2016 Camaro 1LT 3.6L V6 (335hp)
Wanted features: Automatic transmission, Parking sensors, Reverse camera, Cruise control
Bonus features: Big screen, leather seat, blind spots indicators, any useful feature

Now personally i love the Mustang and always did i actually went directly with this option without considering the new Camaro but after checking the Mustang i had a second thought regarding the interior; small screen (4") fabric seats, no driving modes.
While the Camaro have all what the Mustang lack and have more power but i don't really like the design of the Camaro especially from the back (ugly taillights)

So now am torn i don't know what to choose and would like your feedback maybe am overlooking something that might help me choose the better option.

Both are terrible. Either go big or don't. Get yourself a vw golf gti. It's a much better car than either one of them. Amazing fuel economy and still really fast.

Heysoos

OP, I have the 2015 Camaro V6, don't regret it one bit. It's fun enough, sure it's not a V8, but I'm not exactly looking to race it plus traffic would probably ruin any fun of a V8 anyways and just kill me on gas. I was down between the Ecoboost 2015 Mustang and V6 Camaro, glad I went with the Camaro after test driving both multiple times. Just loved the feel much more.

Noooooo, get a used first gen cayman. They are around 27k. You said you wanted something eye catching but camaros and mustangs are everywhere, they are almost as common as civics.

Shadoken

Noooooo, get a used first gen cayman. They are around 27k. You said you wanted something eye catching but camaros and mustangs are everywhere, they are almost as common as civics.

It isn't fair to compare a Used car and a New one. I wouldn't recommend cross shopping between Used and New. As it leads to some really skewed comparisons.

OP you also need to decide if you want to get a new car or a 4-5 year old car. As many other options show up then.

Used cars might seem cheap , but lets not ignore all the hidden repair costs you might be getting yourself into. Especially with a porsche.

psylah

Have you ever seen a bill for repairs on a Porsche? Buying the cheapest Cayman you can find might be a bad idea.

Shadoken

What does that have to do with anything? Not being glib, I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

I am guessing he has a lot of traffic driving to work everyday so he would rather go with the AT for the convenience. Constantly having to switch between gears in stop and go traffic is really annoying.

v1lla21

If you're set with only those two go for the ecoboost Mustang. Cobb supports the ecoboost model and you can get more out of the car.
Other than that I highly recommend the mk7 gti with performance package. I know you don't like the looks but holy fuck is it a great car minus the fwd.

j0hnnix

While a bit high on the price and possible dealers will up mark the price but the new Focus RS looks great(depends on taste) , and on paper seems to be a pretty fast competitor. The ecoboosted GT doesn't stand a chance. I believe 0-60 is at 4.6 secs. Really good looking track car.

Model: 2016 Ford Focus
MSRP: From $35,900
MPG: 19 city / 25 highway
Horsepower: 350 hp
Engine: 2.3 L 4-cylinder
Torque: 350 lb-ft
Dimensions: 172″ L x 72″ W x 58″ H
Tire size: P235/35R19

Drensch

The new V6 Camaro is very impressive. I like seeing out my car however so I'd take the Mustang.

I've not driven the newest Camaro, but I agree with the sightline comment.
Both cars are excellent and well reviewed. The Camaro was Moto Trends COTY, and the talk about it constantly, so there's that.

Fonds

For 27k you can get a porsche 996 or a porsche boxster S.
They won't devalue, have great gas mileage (for actual sports cars), handle like nothing else, have superior build quality... And they're flipping Porsches.

If you don't want this, you don't want a sports car.

Mazda speed3 - nope
Civic - boring and weak

Lol.

BasicMath

Considering your budget and requirements.

Mustang.

2LT Camaros are seriously expensive and overpriced. Mustangs are much cheaper ($4k-$7k depending on model) across the board. Ideally, I'd wait around until January for a Camaro in any case but I still wouldn't expect much in terms of deals since it's on its 1st/2nd year in production. Even then, Mustangs would be easier to deal with.

Edit: Wait, you're leasing? Get yourself a V8. Don't bother with anything else. If you can't do that, save up for a deal in a few years.

Bowler

The devaluation in v6 camaros and v6 and eco boost mustangs are insane unless you have a convertible.

The only ones that keep their value is the gt and the SS

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Accord Touring V6 Coupe, It might be FWD but it has somewhat sporty looks, great resale value, and an overall nice interior. Lower insurance costs than a sports car while having more than enough power too.

http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016_Honda_Accord_Touring_Coupe_Review.jpg

Edit: posting this since you asked what else you could get. You brought up the Honda civic but like you said it's weak, no point in even looking at the lower level Hondas.

Also, the accord has VCM which basically stops sending fuel to a few of the cylinders to save on gas. If you're seriously buying a mustang or Camaro etc and are expecting great fuel economy somehow, you'll be disappointed.

Yeah I have the 2013 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L and I love it!

I also wanted a cross between a sports car and something a bit plusher all for under 30k brand new. I'm addicted to the blind spot camera!

Also the 300hp makes it somewhat comparable to the V6 Mustang or Camaro in acceleration. I had a V6 Mustang rental and I didn't notice a huge difference between it and my car in terms of get up and go.

I have a '13 V6 Camaro w/ AT, ground effects, etc. and I love it. I'd go with the Camaro as I dont like the look of the Mustang but that's just me. As others have pointed out, you might have more fun with the Mustang.

If you are going to buy a base stock model, I probably wouldn't bother.

Not trying to be a dick, OP, but I will never understand people who want muscle cars with AT.

What does that have to do with anything? Not being glib, I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

Its not hard to understand.

Nafai1123

Banned
The devaluation in v6 camaros and v6 and eco boost mustangs are insane unless you have a convertible.

The only ones that keep their value is the gt and the SS

Came in to say this. A GTI, BRZ/FR-S or a used GT/SS will retain their value much better.

Shadoken

For 27k you can get a porsche 996 or a porsche boxster S.
They won't devalue, have great gas mileage (for actual sports cars), handle like nothing else, have superior build quality... And they're flipping Porsches.

If you don't want this, you don't want a sports car.

This is untrue , lets not act as if Miatas,S2000s,BRZs,S2000s arent sports cars. They handle just as well and cost much less,Give great mileage, and as just as reliable.

Porsches are awesome , but they are on the pricier side of things (Wrt insurance and maintenance) just like other German cars. I wish we could get Lotus here for cheap , but sadly the light weight sports car is dying breed here :(

American manufacturers dont seem to like to build Light weight sports cars bar the Corvette and some really expensive ones like the Viper,Ford GT..etc.

Dishwalla

Banned
Just fyi but the Ecoboost isn't the base Mustang, the V6 is. The Ecoboost gets quite a few options, even more so with the Performance Package option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom