• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was wondering if there are any Wu-Tang experts that could help me identify a track.

At the start of Spot Rusherz on Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban links, you hear part of a song with Wu-Tang members but I haven't been able to find it.

DominoKid

1307880466eminem_oldman.jpg

kamspy

NORE is one of the QB greats from the late 90s. Hundreds of thousands of people celebrate his discography.

Eminem is so full of botox and hair plugs it's hard to tell. I can't find the side-by-side of him with his hair bleached, toward the end of Encore touring, arm around some dude after a show, and he had a clearly receding hair line in both corners and good amount of crows feet and bags under the eyes. The other frame was a pic of his Recovery era press shots and his hairline was sculpted and shaped like Steve fucking Harvey.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
neptunes said:
Come on now...seriously?
Poobably not that young, but still great for 38. MediaTakeOut must be more desperate for hits than ever to put up something as stupid as that.

Also, no one is making a new OT for GAF-Hop or what?

hawt

Tokubetsu said:
Video for MellowHype's "64"

Vinyl & CD remaster of Blackenedwhite dropping July 12th of Fat Possum Records.

GAWD DAYUM! It's $12 for the CD and $15 for vinyl on the Fat Possum Records website...and that's not including shipping. :/ That's pretty steep for a re-release IMO. I'm gonna wait this one out considering I was kinda let down by Goblin.

DominoKid

Wayne's MTV (not) Unplugged kicked ass. and his main backup singer is a dime too.

too much Carter 3 stuff though. he handled Hail Mary well though.

his new song Nightmares of the Bottom is straight nasty

I bet it sounded like a wave crashing when he did I'm Single. He coulda pulled any chick out of the crowd and fucked her right there.

Tokubetsu

hawt said:
GAWD DAYUM! It's $12 for the CD and $15 for vinyl on the Fat Possum Records website...and that's not including shipping. :/ That's pretty steep for a re-release IMO. I'm gonna wait this one out considering I was kinda let down by Goblin.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OJF60/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OJHS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well it's a remaster with bonust track/s so if you liked it the first time/more than Goblin, I don't see why you wouldn't want to support it. It's not like you're gonna be double dipping. You never payed for it to begin with.

Detox

Hail Mary by Wayne. This really should be illegal he couldn't do the song justice. It lost the darkness of the track and Pac's voice was integral to the song.

Another thing that should be illegal is copying names of other songs especially if they are classics. That new J. Cole is dope but he shouldn't have called it Lost Ones, Jay-Z and Dr Dre already got there.

spindashing said:
Haha, I got into Nas before I started Mobb Deep.

Nas, Mobb Deep and Run-D.M.C. are the only Queens acts that I actually like.
You don't like Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap or are they not from QB?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Any Uk gaffers checking out the WU TANG in the next week

i'm going to see them tomorrow night, last time i seen them methodman was not there, so i'm looking forward to seeing methodman on stage.

Detox said:
You don't like Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap or are they not from QB?
Well, I'm not from Queensbridge. I'm from Hollis, Queens. (Run-D.M.C., LL Cool J, Ja Rule =[)

I love Rakim. He's from Long Island though. It's Eric B. that's really from Queens.

Detox

I see, I always get confused with the Queens and Queensbridge stuff. So Queensbridge is just a housing project in Queens? I always found it fascinating that so many of my favourite rappers came from a relatively small area.

Detox said:
I see, I always get confused with the Queens and Queensbridge stuff. So Queensbridge is just a housing project in Queens? I always found it fascinating that so many of my favourite rappers came from a relatively small area.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. If I'm not mistaken, it's located in a city called Queensbridge, and that's where the projects get the name from.

I also find it interesting that it is a home for many famous acts. There's just something about those projects lol.

HiResDes

spindashing said:
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. If I'm not mistaken, it's located in a city called Queensbridge, and that's where the projects get the name from.

I also find it interesting that it is a home for many famous acts. There's just something about those projects lol.
Ever go to this place?

McDowellsFacade.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
NPH is so awesome its ridiculous. He is the real definition of Swag, fuck lil'b, Neil for president.

iavi

Tokubetsu said:
Video for MellowHype's "64"

Vinyl & CD remaster of Blackenedwhite dropping July 12th of Fat Possum Records.

[/QUOTE]

As far as odd future videos go, this one sits right behind Yonkers. That shit was tight. I don't see it taking off, but it was tight as fuck.

[QUOTE=HiResDes]Mellowhype is more of a sure thing than Tyler...And that song is incredible, I heard a snippet of it months ago and was hyped.[/QUOTE]

Skill, or marketability? Cause they aren't as marketable by any means, and Hodgy needs more time in the oven. Dude's riding a baby-sized tylerswagwave atm. He has it, he just isn't doing it.

Left brain's productions hit so much harder than anything tyler has done though. so much fucking harder.

nns3d

DominoKid said:
Wayne's MTV (not) Unplugged kicked ass. and his main backup singer is a dime too.

I agree, I love rap accompanied to actual instruments.

Detox said:
Hail Mary by Wayne. This really should be illegal he couldn't do the song justice. It lost the darkness of the track and Pac's voice was integral to the song.

The biggest problem I had with this was Wayne's lack of energy when he performed it. Also it's odd that he decided to autotune the verse.

siddx

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I agree, I love rap accompanied to actual instruments.

The biggest problem I had with this was Wayne's lack of energy when he performed it. Also it's odd that he decided to autotune the verse.

My biggest problem is that it's fucking awful. Sounds like some karaoke bullshit.

eLZhi said:
Just bought Hail Mary Mallon. Amazing shit.

LOL @ the mixtape art comment. smh

Also I'm glad to see someone else pick up this amazing album

iavi

siddx said:
My biggest problem is that it's fucking awful. Sounds like some karaoke bullshit.

Really. This shit is horrible. He did nothing with it at all. Hell, he didn't even sound like he wanted to be doing it.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:

Also I'm glad to see someone else pick up this amazing album

Still waiting on my copy in the mail before I dig into it. I did give the mp3 copy they give you a once over though and was definitely feeling what I was hearing. Production sounded a lot like Labor Days era Aes Rock.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Still waiting on my copy in the mail before I dig into it. I did give the mp3 copy they give you a once over though and was definitely feeling what I was hearing. Production sounded a lot like Labor Days era Aes Rock.

My favorite aspects (other than the production) is the back and forth they do on some songs and the fact that it's a bit lighthearted. Some of the songs are just fun (breakdance beach and grubstake for instance)

Also if you like aesop production you really should get the Blockhead - The Music Scene album. It's fantastic.

iavi

Ilúvatar said:
Blackenedwhite... minus Earl.

If that interview with the New Yorker was legit, I don't even think that Earl himself would want to associate with his older tracks. Kinda like anti-erotic city watchtower Prince, the guy sounds as if he's at a bit of an odds with the whole odd-future movement. Asking for people to stop the free earl, he went to Samoa of his own volition etc etc...

That only got me more hyped as to what he'll tackle when he gets out though.

nns3d

siddx said:

What was even funnier was that I was watching the thing on ustream. When the Hail Mary part went on, the Weezy fans thought that he wrote that verse :p

siddx

Afrocentric-Asian said:
What was even funnier was that I was watching the thing on ustream. When the Hail Mary part went on, the Weezy fans thought that he wrote that verse :p

Doesn't surprise me considering the two Weezy stans I know are about as hip hop knowledgeable as a bag of turnips.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
My favorite aspects (other than the production) is the back and forth they do on some songs and the fact that it's a bit lighthearted. Some of the songs are just fun (breakdance beach and grubstake for instance)

Also if you like aesop production you really should get the Blockhead - The Music Scene album. It's fantastic.

I read a recent interview with Aesop about Hail Mary Mallon and he was talking about how everyone thing it's just a fun/light hearted record but they never set out to make it like that, it just kinda happend. It stemmed from him and Rob writing in the same room at the same time iirc.

And yea, I've been meaning to grab the music scene. I have Music by Cavelight and I'm sure I've posted Triptych pt 3 here before. God, I love that track.

Miri said:
If that interview with the New Yorker was legit, I don't even think that Earl himself would want to associate with his older tracks. Kinda like anti-erotic city watchtower Prince, the guy sounds as if he's at a bit of an odds with the whole odd-future movement. Asking for people to stop the free earl, he went to Samoa of his own volition etc etc...

In short he grew up while the rest of the guys would rather do average horror-core type shit?

iavi

PhoenixDark said:
In short he grew up while the rest of the guys would rather do average horror-core type shit?

Seems that way. He says that he wasn't comfortable with himself while writing at that point in time, and that it just isn't him.

Tyler's a real smart dude, and I can see the message behind his music, but he's going to have to write some better music if he wants me to keep listening, both lyrically and instrumentally. Goblin was like a 5-6/10.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/23/110523fa_fact_sanneh that's the source btw. I'm trying to find the page where I read the whole thing.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
I read a recent interview with Aesop about Hail Mary Mallon and he was talking about how everyone thing it's just a fun/light hearted record but they never set out to make it like that, it just kinda happend. It stemmed from him and Rob writing in the same room at the same time iirc.

And yea, I've been meaning to grab the music scene. I have Music by Cavelight and I'm sure I've posted Triptych pt 3 here before. God, I love that track.

Makes sense, the vibe of what and how we write completely changes when my buddy and I are writing together for songs instead of apart and just pasting them in together.

hawt

Tokubetsu said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OJF60/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OJHS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well it's a remaster with bonust track/s so if you liked it the first time/more than Goblin, I don't see why you wouldn't want to support it. It's not like you're gonna be double dipping. You never payed for it to begin with.
Ohhh ok. I don't know why, but I was under the impression that it wouldn't have any new tracks. My bad.

Miri said:

According to Tyler, it's a fake...

Tyler said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom