• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

Tokubetsu said:
"i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it. "

Part of a blurb Frank Ocean wrote on his tumblr.
noooooooooooooooooo

DominoKid

kamspy said:
hk49T.jpg

kevin-garnett-shaq-laugh.jpg

Jay Sosa

wait what, im confused...fo is congratulating bm for working with jay and that other spoiled brat?

and im mad at fo for working with these talentless cunts not the other way around.

CRS

Here's the entire post on his Tumblr:
"billionsoffuck asked: Explain your current situation to your five-years-ago self.

wow. alrite. i’ll give it a shot…

hey chris,

your name is frank now..it’s a long story. your girlfriend is about to break up with you because of the long distance. it’s ok. & that job you’re working..well, you’re gonna have to work there for another year and some months.. & then you’re gonna get fired. you’re gonna work a couple more jobs after that too. nothing glamorous. kinkos and at&t if you really want the specifics. but you’re never gonna be homeless or starving. don’t worry you won’t fail and have to move back to new orleans either. you are gonna get your heartbroken though. twice. if it helps, the first one is gonna be worse than the second. contrary to how it feels, it won’t kill you. in fact it’s gonna help you write an album. yea, you finally finished an album. people like it man. you’re actually gonna write and record hundreds of songs. they won’t all be good and most ppl won’t think you’re talented at first, but you’re going to master your gifts. you’re going to become a lot stronger and wiser..even a little taller. be patient. i mean, you kind of have no choice. and be good to people. i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it."

heh, i saw Wu-Tang a few days ago in Helsinki... a day before the show, i'm hanging out by the entrance to the hotel i was staying in with my GF, and out of nowhere i bumped into Ghostface. they were staying in the same crappy hotel! i was stunned and was just like "ummm heyyy, the Wu-Tang Clan?!". too bad my spoken english is terribly awkward so i didn't say much... thankfully Ghost saved the situation by being super nice and giving me the bro fist heh. phew. walking off i saw Masta Killa through a window and he was looking all gloomy and shit, so i waited a couple seconds until he saw me and i did the Wu sign at him and he smiled and nodded :) lolz, i'm a grown man acting like some teenage fangirl. but i had to do it, he looked sad!

seriously, it was bizarre bumping into them. never would have guessed they'd be at the same hotel. i would have wanted to meet GZA though, so we could have talked about black holes and supernovas :(

btw, is it weird that when they did "Shame On A Nigga" they made the 99% white audience yell the "nigga" part? i thought it was hella weird and i couldn't do it, haha. show was great though, Method Man was on fire.

DominoKid

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Here's the entire post on his Tumblr:
"billionsoffuck asked: Explain your current situation to your five-years-ago self.

wow. alrite. i’ll give it a shot…

hey chris,

your name is frank now..it’s a long story. your girlfriend is about to break up with you because of the long distance. it’s ok. & that job you’re working..well, you’re gonna have to work there for another year and some months.. & then you’re gonna get fired. you’re gonna work a couple more jobs after that too. nothing glamorous. kinkos and at&t if you really want the specifics. but you’re never gonna be homeless or starving. don’t worry you won’t fail and have to move back to new orleans either. you are gonna get your heartbroken though. twice. if it helps, the first one is gonna be worse than the second. contrary to how it feels, it won’t kill you. in fact it’s gonna help you write an album. yea, you finally finished an album. people like it man. you’re actually gonna write and record hundreds of songs. they won’t all be good and most ppl won’t think you’re talented at first, but you’re going to master your gifts. you’re going to become a lot stronger and wiser..even a little taller. be patient. i mean, you kind of have no choice. and be good to people. i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it."

damn that's lowkey inspirational.

TheOddOne

siddx said:
I'll help you out some more

Listening to Mayday is like listening to a bunch of people who don't know what the fuck they want to do musically. Wreckonize is dope as hell though, get his album.

9th wonder just keeps making the same beat over and over so just listen to some of his older shit instead.

E 1999 Eternal is a fucking classic

Deliverance is very under-appreciated, Bubba stepped his shit up for this one.

Copywrite is a great emcee who suffers from the same disease so many other underground artist do, "noearforgoodinstrumentalexia"

De La Soul is one of the greatest hip hop groups of all time goddamnit, everything from their debut up to Mosiac Thump are classics, and Bionix is very solid too.

Muggs vs. GZA features two talented people who suck outside of their group setting in 90% of cases.

Premo needs to stop giving his beats out to every bum with a half stick of gum to pay him with. It's diluting his status in the top 5 producers of all time.

El-P is like anal sex and bondage, an acquired taste some people either immediately love or hate, but with an open mind, you can grow to appreciate it.

Halo's album is very dull, he's got talent, and there are a few good songs, but very little stands out.

Blu makes me want to stab a fucking baby in the face.

Hi Tek is a very solid but unremarkable producer. Chances are you'll like the beat, but it wont blow you away.

Jada is annoying as fuck. One dimensional boring as stereotypical new york rapper.

Jay Electronica is destined for "remember that one dude?" status

If you like Jay Z you'll like american gangster. You probably also like getting punched in the eye.

Jean Grae is one of the few female rappers I don't want to throw something heavy at.

Mood Muzik, featuring 100% more Budden being an emo bitch

K-Os is good enough, whether thats a good or bad thing I dont know.

Krit Wuz Here is brilliant, but seeing as how Krit is my ex's favorite new artist and I just dumped her for cheating on me, I am on a Krit blackout for a while.

Large Professor never really impressed me, but he's got some decent stuff

Madlib is madlib is madlib

MFDOOM is a love it or not really care either way for it type of dude

Supa Dupe Fly is where her worthwhile shit begins and ends

Nas is coming...to do liquor commercials to pay for child support.

Ghostface and I Can't Believe It's Not Ghostface!

RZA lost his touch when Quentin Tarintino started giving him handjobs for movie scores

Scarface is the fucking man when it comes to music, but i'll never forgot watching an interview with him where he was slouched so far down in his chair he looked like a fucking idiot.

Shad has a lot of potential, half of TSOL was amazing, and the other half was a mix of good and boring.

Slaughterhouse is Kamspy's favorite band in the whole world

Talib Kweli is a vampire who needs Mos around to feed off of, otherwise he's boring as hell.

DOC needs to get that surgery so he can get his damn voice back and show these west coast rappers how its done.

The Illz needs to hurry the fuck up with his full length before I lose interest. The pursuit is brilliant.

Magoo is the discount wal mart version of Q-Tip, and proof that anyone can be a rapper with the right connections

Waka Flocka makes baby jesus want to kill himself

When I listen to Wale, I always say afterwards "I think I liked it...but I don't remember a damn thing about it."
SAM_JACKSON_CLAPPING_GIF_RE_Math_is_to_be_a_Dad-s480x270-57548.gif

astroturfing said:
heh, i saw Wu-Tang a few days ago in Helsinki... a day before the show, i'm hanging out by the entrance to the hotel i was staying in with my GF, and out of nowhere i bumped into Ghostface. they were staying in the same crappy hotel! i was stunned and was just like "ummm heyyy, the Wu-Tang Clan?!". too bad my spoken english is terribly awkward so i didn't say much... thankfully Ghost saved the situation by being super nice and giving me the bro fist heh. phew. walking off i saw Masta Killa through a window and he was looking all gloomy and shit, so i waited a couple seconds until he saw me and i did the Wu sign at him and he smiled and nodded :) lolz, i'm a grown man acting like some teenage fangirl. but i had to do it, he looked sad!

seriously, it was bizarre bumping into them. never would have guessed they'd be at the same hotel. i would have wanted to meet GZA though, so we could have talked about black holes and supernovas :(

btw, is it weird that when they did "Shame On A Nigga" they made the 99% white audience yell the "nigga" part? i thought it was hella weird and i couldn't do it, haha. show was great though, Method Man was on fire.
Holy shit, that's fucking amazing!

astroturfing said:

Nice! I want to see the Wu live one day. The Wu granted you guys permission to use such a word! Say it in the concert but nowhere else, lol.

HiResDes said:
Kreayshawn Fader Interview
White Girl Mob is more serious than I thought.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
neptunes said:
siddx, who DO you like?

haha at least a portion of that list was positive! There are a good portion of artists I like, but it's more enjoyable to point out the ones I don't, as it seems to create more discussion on here. When someone like Tribe or Mobb Deep or Quik is brought up, 99% of gaf just goes "yup, love em" and then moves on. Bring up someone whose not as universally loved and we get some actual debate and conversation.

And I actually tend to like individual tracks rather than liking an artist. For instance live by the gun by wacka flocka gets a lot of play from me, but I can't stand him beyond that. I don't like Jay Z, but he has a handful of tracks I enjoy. Maybe it's my goldfish short attention span, or the fact the older I get the more some rappers come across as embarrassingly stupid, but I find the need to cherry pick more and more. And then there are artists that I used to love who just fell the fuck off for me, like andre 3000. I was an outkast stan for years but the weirder he got, the less I enjoyed him. And he releases one unremarkable verse every 2 years and expects people to still care. He's doing guest spots on Ke$ha remixes for fucks sake.

And then someone like Lupe, who I heard far more about through interviews before I heard most of his music, and as a result my opinion of him as a person was imprinted before I could get an opinion of him as an artist, and as a result all I want to do is kick him in the face when I listen to his music, even though I may actually have enjoyed it if I didn't come in with the opinion he's a fucking idiot.

And lol at kamspy and the backpack

oh and speaking of rappers I cant stand, Girl Talk's version of Gucci Time is incredible and I would kill for a full length version of it.

Esch

Banned
love girl talk..... on his latest when he dropped the liquid swords beat over flava in ya ear i had to change my shorts.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
HiResDes said:
Recently I've been really feeling the latest Edo G, Zeroh, and Black Cobain a bunch...But I must admit this new Shabazz Palaces is growing one me, although nothing could ever quite live up to Of Light.

I listened to that all night and this morning. I have no idea how I never even heard of Black Cobain before.

Right now I am on:

Black Cobain - Young, Black and Gifted
Killer Mike - Pl3dge
Pete Rock - SP1200 (Files Series Vol.1) This is a mixtape Pete Rock made that was only released in Japan. A REAL mixtape of a DJ mixing.

EschatonDX said:
spindashing loves linkin park. i saw it on his last fm.

chuuuuuch
oh fuck, exposed.

I like me some Mike Shinoda rapping and Chester Bennington vocals. Honestly, what other types of music do you guys listen to other than hip-hop/rap/etc?

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:

Oh shit.

spindashing said:
oh fuck, exposed.

I like me some Mike Shinoda rapping and Chester Bennington vocals. Honestly, what other types of music do you guys listen to other than hip-hop/rap/etc?

Punk Rock and a little Metal. Not speed metal, stuff like Tool, SoaD, Pennywise, Hatebreed. Punk shit would include NOFX, Rancid, Transplants, Dropkick Murphys, Subhumans. Old dirty nasty punk. NOFX and Less Than Jake is about as poppy as I go.

I hate Bar Rock though. Staind, Nickleback, Creed, Eminem. That kinda shit just doesn't do it for me.

coldvein said:
i know i don't have many friends in here.. but i'm still listening to el-p's "ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD". anybody else? production is twisted, lyrics are dark and awesome. sad for us that homeboy puts out one album every six years..
I tried to get into that album last year, it seemed like something I'd like, but it really didn't do anything for me. I should try to give it another shot.

Esch

Banned
spindashing said:
oh fuck, exposed.

All types of shit, as you probably saw my lastfm is some confusing shit to look at. I'm big on black and death metal, ambient, and then assorted electronic stuff and a smattering of jazz here and there along with other bits and pieces.

lol at kamspy being a SoaD etc fan, no wonder you're cool with the juggalos son

siddx

I remember buying that XXL issue off the rack in an airport while visiting the US. I thought it was one of the coolest things ever. Thought for sure they'd do a 10 year anniversary version back in 2008.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
spindashing said:
oh fuck, exposed.

I'll listen to some Justice, Girl Talk, some NIN. Alot of electronic music. Not the slow boring shit though. I say that, but I thought the NIN Ghosts insttrumental album was incredible.

siddx

There was a phase when I listened to more techno than hip hop. I was living in Argentina and the only clubs that played music that didn't suck were raves. I also used to make a lot of techno, but the genre has gotten repetitive in the last few years so I listen to it a lot less. Still enjoy some of it though.

Johnny Cash is good shit, Girl Talk, the occasional pop song, used to like System of a down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bob Dylan, a few others.

But my favorite non hip hop artist is Joni Mitchell. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that but I think she is fucking brilliant. Greatest song writer ever.

siddx said:
I remember buying that XXL issue off the rack in an airport while visiting the US. I thought it was one of the coolest things ever. Thought for sure they'd do a 10 year anniversary version back in 2008.
Got that shit as a poster my dude. Love your long ass post, slacker.

Esch

Banned
if you're asking me whether earl burnt doom on one of doom's greatest joint's i'm going to have to say no. fuck no.

HiResDes

siddx said:
There was a phase when I listened to more techno than hip hop. I was living in Argentina and the only clubs that played music that didn't suck were raves. I also used to make a lot of techno, but the genre has gotten repetitive in the last few years so I listen to it a lot less. Still enjoy some of it though.

Johnny Cash is good shit, Girl Talk, the occasional pop song, used to like System of a down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bob Dylan, a few others.

But my favorite non hip hop artist is Joni Mitchell. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that but I think she is fucking brilliant. Greatest song writer ever.
What are you talking about, Blue is a masterpiece

IrishNinja

astroturfing said:

this is fuckin awesome, congrats man.

Threi said:
can't help but notice that lil b isn't on that long-ass list...

that list is a summary of my current hip-hop backlog, there's a separate folder for #BASED

EschatonDX said:
love girl talk..... on his latest when he dropped the liquid swords beat over flava in ya ear i had to change my shorts.

whoah, i missed this...anyone got a link?

spindashing said:
Honestly, what other types of music do you guys listen to other than hip-hop/rap/etc?

aw man, lots of shit.
1 roomate in college got me onto euro techno shit like orbital, underworld, chicane, global underground stuff etc. i gotta be in the mood though.

time out west made me realize the only country i can get into is some johnny cash or marty robbins shit.

some blues, the same classic rock (doors/zep/etc) as everyone else, lots of jazz-rap (nujabes etc), lots of the old R&B/soul shit hip-hop samples (bill withers etc), and jazz for days. jazz is prolly the genre i stand to explore the most, i just get stuck on shit like coltrane or cannonball adderley for weeks. i can still leave miles' "kind of blue" on loop.

HiResDes

Johnny Cash is more folk-rock than country, and his version of Hurt is one of the saddest songs ever crafted...It's an emotional marvel

...Also is anyone craving for some more Add-2, dude deserves more stans than just myself.

siddx

IrishNinja said:
whoah, i missed this...anyone got a link?

http://illegal-art.net/allday/

^Link to the entire album
The craig mack/gza mash up is about halfway through the second track

The Ice cream paint job/Strawberry Letter 23, Ante Up/Miley Cyrus, Skee lo/T'Pau, ODB/Radiohead mash ups are brilliant too.

edit: beaten like a dick

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
some blues, the same classic rock (doors/zep/etc) as everyone else, lots of jazz-rap (nujabes etc), lots of the old R&B/soul shit hip-hop samples (bill withers etc), and jazz for days. jazz is prolly the genre i stand to explore the most, i just get stuck on shit like coltrane or cannonball adderley for weeks. i can still leave miles' "kind of blue" on loop.
Come to the Definitive Jazz thread, there's so much good shit to explore. If you like Coltrane you'll love Wayne Shorter to start you off...Every Wayne Shorter album is fantastic

siddx

Oh and the Neil Diamond/Crooked i mash up. A ton of the mash ups on that album I would love to have full length versions of.

IrishNinja

HiResDes said:
Johnny Cash is more folk-rock than country, and his version of Hurt is one of the saddest songs ever crafted...It's an emotional marvel

yeah, the video is just brutal.
folk-rock is one label that works, but my family was big on him - real talk, before dipping, my old man once argued with my mom to name me sue.
dude did gospel, honky-tonk, all kindsa shit. im awful at labeling guys with such a huge body of work, have been ever since working at a music store. your pick is as good as any though.

HiResDes said:
Honestly I think DJ Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz series comes quite close

just got volume 7!
if anyone else is ever feening for that kinda sound, first go to the other hydeout guys: fat jon, uyama hiroto (so, so good), etc. to me, they're as close as it gets.

HiResDes said:
Come to the Definitive Jazz thread, there's so much good shit to explore. If you like Coltrane you'll love Wayne Shorter to start you off...Every Wayne Shorter album is fantastic

fuck.
ok, so i'm gonna go bookmark that thread, and try to kill off this hip-hop backlog first (kinda screwed myself but just grabbing entire discographies of some dudes, but the new rig had like 2TB of space so i think it was inevitable)...then ill be all over it.
honestly, the instrumental hip-hop thread gave me like 10+GB of quality.

ps thanks for the link, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom