• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man reading this threads made me realise, i gotta be the only one in here thats given up on rap. The last year or two has been abysmal. I went back to my 90s shit and im staying there. Asked someone (My man knows his real hip hop) about a month or two ago whats the best rap song to come out lately. Lil wayne and Drake The motto was the answer.

I felt like vomiting in my mouth.

I cant be the only hip hop head that feels this way. Someone else feel this way too so we can discuss our emotions and shit.

And listen to some Onyx or Gangstarr or something.

IrishNinja

Asked someone (My man knows his real hip hop) about a month or two ago whats the best rap song to come out lately. Lil wayne and Drake The motto was the answer.

dude
your man does not know what the fuck is up

seriously, you've got a scene in canada and other places trying to do jazz hip-hop beats, you've got boom-bap shit elsewhere - fuck man, half the dudes you're talking about like premo, large professor, nas, wu etc had releases or features this very year.

if you listen to the radio, hip-hop died 5 minutes after your favorite era. if you keep up with shit like this thread, it's more diverse than ever. real talk

FUCK crs had this handled, back to booze

RJT

Man reading this threads made me realise, i gotta be the only one in here thats given up on rap. The last year or two has been abysmal. I went back to my 90s shit and im staying there. Asked someone (My man knows his real hip hop) about a month or two ago whats the best rap song to come out lately. Lil wayne and Drake The motto was the answer.

I cant be the only hip hop head that feels this way. Someone else feel this way too so we can discuss our emotions and shit.

Dude, that man is not your friend.

Some links to particular songs (they're all from albums mentioned in the threads Irish linked to:
Kendrick Lamar - Hiipower
Killer Mike - Big beast
Kno - La Petit Mort
CunninLynguists - Predormitum

//B1G

Banned
Just jotted this...there's more before and after that, but for thread purposes. Homie down the street's got a mic, maybe ill try spitting over one of my beats just for kicks

Take me just a fraction of a second to get to clappin with this weapon
And when that happen I begin to laugh and then I'm stepping
And when the men in black come asking all them questions
But you can bet your ass won't be no mention of the man in mask with ill intentions

Recon

Banned
I like Add-2. However, I cannot stand the comparison of highly paid athletes to slaves. That shit is unacceptable.

He's too backpacky for GAF though.

He is too backpacky for reconyoda,aka me.. Think about that...has it sunk in?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking caveman shit. But I don't go seeking out new shit. Tend to stick to looking for music from who I know. Clearly been missing out and need to make an adjustment however.

Start with those 2 AOTY threads that CRS linked, and always try to click recommendations. No you won't like everything, but there's literally NO WAY you won't eventually find stuff that will make love to your ears. Gaf-Hop and Youtube are your friends.

Dude, that man is not your friend.

Some links to particular songs (they're all from albums mentioned in the threads Irish linked to:
Kendrick Lamar - Hiipower
Killer Mike - Big beast
Kno - La Petit Mort
CunninLynguists - Predormitum

4 top notch projects right here, for example.

IrishNinja

see that shit's so weird to me

like a girl i put onto tribe a while back was like "oh, that new nas album, is it good? i was gonna go to best buy" and i was thinking "it's prolly cheaper on amazon's site than...oh"

i think 8 diagrams is the last physical CD i bought, and we all know how that went

i tell a lie, ODB/GZA remasters now that i think on it, but ill never even put them into a cd player, it's kinda sad

see that shit's so weird to me

like a girl i put onto tribe a while back was like "oh, that new nas album, is it good? i was gonna go to best buy" and i was thinking "it's prolly cheaper on amazon's site than...oh"

i think 8 diagrams is the last physical CD i bought, and we all know how that went

i tell a lie, ODB/GZA remasters now that i think on it, but ill never even put them into a cd player, it's kinda sad

Topic of contention. I actually liked 8 diagrams. More so than Iron Flag. We all know it their was no clan cohesion on it, and they all threw tantrums like children about the direction RZA took it.

Some good tracks on it though, I still day its better than Iron Flag.

What you think of 8 Diagrams?

Edit: Thats crazy if that was the last CD you bought. I prefer having the CD to downloading it. CD always has better quality than if i throw it on the ipod. Not bothered downloading massive files for FLAC and all that shit. Plus who doesnt like having the cases?

Fjordson

I'm not quite where you are 36, but I do find a lot of shit these days boring as hell. Still, if I look hard enough when I feel like something new I can usually find something worth hearing.

Like that Showbiz & A.G. that Eschaton posted a few pages back. Pretty nice. New Reks is nice also.

As for 8 Diagrams, I liked it. There were a few tracks where I honestly had no fuckin clue what Rza was going for, but enjoyable overall. Though I can say that about almost anything Wu has put out. Maybe my favourite group ever.

IrishNinja

Topic of contention. I actually liked 8 diagrams. More so than Iron Flag. We all know it their was no clan cohesion on it, and they all threw tantrums like children about the direction RZA took it.

Some good tracks on it though, I still day its better than Iron Flag.

What you think of 8 Diagrams?

Edit: Thats crazy if that was the last CD you bought. I prefer having the CD to downloading it. CD always has better quality than if i throw it on the ipod. Not bothered downloading massive files for FLAC and all that shit. Plus who doesnt like having the cases?

i mean, it's not bad, but it's not on the level of the first 2, or the W. Iron Flag has a few tracks i go back to from time to time (pinky ring, etc), 8 does but if i look at my playlist, it's less so. kind've a toss-up for me, but i did have higher hopes at the time, even though we can both see where RZA was trying to take it - he goes on a bit about it in his last book too.

per your edit: i went through a minimalist stage years back, dropped all my jewel cases and surviving CD's are in binders, kinda sitting there cause i went digital around then. i think it's cool when dudes still have collections (especially vinyl, you shouldve seen the haul fuckin Des got a while back) but now i organize & tag them all anal like i used to stack the cases, haha.

As for 8 Diagrams, I liked it. There were a few tracks where I honestly had no fuckin clue what Rza was going for, but enjoyable overall. Though I can say that about almost anything Wu has put out. Maybe my favourite group ever.

see, that almost cancels out your feelings on nas' albums, heh.

Fjordson

Hey, I'm kind of a Wu stan. I can admit that :lol though even that is fading a bit these days. Some of their recent releases really didn't do much for me.

Also on physical music: I'm digital all the way for like two years. Too lazy to keep up a physical collection.

mooooose

The W is the most consistent and interesting Wu album. 36 and Forever are BETTER, but 36 is repetitive and Forever is repetitive and too long with too much filler. The W is perfect. But overall, it still isn't as good as 36 or Forever despite their faults.

Forever > 36 > The W > 8 Diagrams > Iron Flag

Bishman

It's your own fault. Don't rely on the radio to serve you GOOD music. There is no excuse not finding good music with Spotify, last.fm, Pandora, forums with discussion on hip hop like GAF-HOP, and etc.

Asked someone (My man knows his real hip hop) about a month or two ago whats the best rap song to come out lately. Lil wayne and Drake The motto was the answer.

:lol

I can't remember a single month where absolutely nothing dropped. Good shit year round.

If you don't widen your palate you'll end up like the hip hop equivalent of one of those old ass dudes listening to only Led Zeppelin till they're 100

Tokubetsu

I don't do that negative shit like trolling man. I'm a positive based pretty flower. I'm sending you all love, all the time. Except for Enzo. That petal withered months ago.

I'm not the Toku you guys want, but the one you deserve.

<3

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
406185_10151085193967766_86018938_n.jpg

Recon

Banned
I don't do that negative shit like trolling man. I'm a positive based pretty flower. I'm sending you all love, all the time. Except for Enzo. That petal withered months ago.

I'm not the Toku you guys want, but the one you deserve.

<3

Enzo gets no love. He needs another Kanye West album. He is getting weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom