• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the south had commercial dominance for a great deal of the naughties, and that still hasnt changed (arguably more so now that Eminem, Jay Z, 50, Dipset, Game etc have fallen off). People keep going back to the midwest/east? Naw. The east is mostly underground shit or taking liberally from the south (coke boyz etc). The same is true for the Midwest, the only real commercial force there is Ye, and he's on that trap shit too. Everyone else from different regions is either controlled by or on southern labels (like Wale). Kendrick is pretty much the only exception for a non-southern inspired or controlled artist making real commercial waves. Well I guess there's J Cole too (lol), but not really.

I dont really know what midwestern and east coast you're saying is running the game right now. Cuz it doesn't look like that.

edit: Peso was hot. Dont know what youre talking about there

Kendrick knows whats up though, he pays tribute.

Recon

Banned
the south had commercial dominance for a great deal of the naughties, and that still hasnt changed (arguably more so now that Eminem, Jay Z, 50, Dipset, Game etc have fallen off). People keep going back to the midwest/east? Naw. The east is mostly underground shit or taking liberally from the south (coke boyz etc). The same is true for the Midwest, the only real commercial force there is Ye, and he's on that trap shit too. Everyone else from different regions is either controlled by or on southern labels (like Wale). Kendrick is pretty much the only exception for a non-southern inspired or controlled artist making real commercial waves. Well I guess there's J Cole too (lol), but not really.

I dont really know what midwestern and east coast you're saying is running the game right now. Cuz it doesn't look like that.

edit: Peso was hot. Dont know what youre talking about there

Keep snorting that heroin bro.

DominoKid

exactly.

its too fuckin funny to me that chicago is heavy on trap music now. they do it well though.

Esch

Banned
Keep snorting that heroin bro.
Hahaha, at least it's good to know that you don't have an argument(surprise) and you just dislike the south. Either way your favorite artists will stay jacking southern swag and begging artists from here for features and production, or doing their best to sound like them so they have something to eat
Ye is trap music? When did the definition of trap music shift to glam rap?
You can't see the influence? I think it's pretty clear on tracks like Mercy etc

im not saying everything he makes is trap, but he's definitely not afraid to let it seep into his music or work with artists in that lane (2 chainz, keef etc)

Recon

Banned
Hahaha, at least it's good to know that you don't have an argument(surprise) and you just dislike the south. Either way your favorite artists will stay jacking southern swag and begging artists from here for features and production, or doing their best to sound like them so they have something to eat

Lol I said the south influences everyone else. But in your rush to "prove" me wrong, you didn't read what I actually said. Yeah I was giving the south some shit, but take that DJ Screw shaped dildo out ya ass before you come at me.

Naw it's pretty obvious Kanye's venturing into trap since he commissioned Lex Luger for that HAM. And then went full ignant with Cruel Summer

oh and DominoKid's 12 I think

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You can't see the influence? I think it's pretty clear on tracks like Mercy etc

im not saying everything he makes is trap, but he's definitely not afraid to let it seep into his music or work with artists in that lane (2 chainz, etc)

I mean, by this logic every form of rap is every form of rap. I don't think talking about money and shit belongs ONLY (edited in for clarification) to trap music or the south. Ye is definitely away from the selling drugs/getting hemmed up by the police/struggle shit I thought trap music was about. Again, I'm pretty far behind on this sort of shit, but when I think trap I think TIP/UGK...and Ye is about as far away from that as possible. Pusha...Two Chainz...sure. But leopard print, high heel wearing Kanye "My I was broke story was that I had to shop at Ikea" West? Nah.

No one is saying Kanye West is a trap rapper or is even in the genre, but the past two years he has been pretty inspired by it on its tip along with some electronic stuff.

Esch

Banned
Lol I said the south influences everyone else. But in your rush to "prove" me wrong, you didn't read what I actually said. Yeah I was giving the south some shit, but take that DJ Screw shaped dildo out ya ass before you come at me.
I didn't come at you, what's wrong with you? Grow a thicker skin.

I read that shit 100%, and I know exactly what you said. The point was that it didnt make any sense. You say that the south influences shit, I agreed with you and then continued to speak on exactly how the scene is controlled by the south not just in terms of sound. The east and midwest have relatively little tug. The only reason they have any is because of the money previously earned back in the day. There was nothing aimed at you in that post.
I mean, by this logic every form of rap is every form of rap. I don't think talking about money and shit belongs ONLY (edited in for clarification) to trap music or the south. Ye is definitely away from the selling drugs/getting hemmed up by the police/struggle shit I thought trap music was about. Again, I'm pretty far behind on this sort of shit, but when I think trap I think TIP/UGK...and Ye is about as far away from that as possible. Pusha...Two Chainz...sure. But leopard print, high heel wearing Kanye "My I was broke story was that I had to shop at Ikea" West? Nah.
No dude, its the SOUND. Maybe because you don't listen to a lot of trap so you cant hear the elements in that music. But it was definitely there on the GOOD collab and the shit he's released recently.

EDIT: what Tguy said lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From my experiences, A$AP Rocky buzz is more noticeable IRL than online. Hear people rocking it on the bus, I've had people come talk to me about Rocky but never Kendrick.

I only saw Kendrick hype right before GKMC, and not nearly as much.

WanderingWind

No one is saying Kanye West is a trap rapper or is even in the genre, but the past two years he has been pretty inspired by it on its tip along with some electronic stuff.

If anything, it's the other way around. Kanye has been influencing the way popular rap has been shaped for a minute. I think he's been influencing the southern sound way more than vice versa. On individual tracks, every rapper takes influences from different places, but I don't think it's as big a stylejack as insecure southern fans make it seem.

And I don't even ride Ye's nuts like that.

Recon

Banned
I didn't come at you, what's wrong with you? Grow a thicker skin.

I read that shit 100%, and I know exactly what you said. The point was that it didnt make any sense. You say that the south influences shit, I agreed with you and then continued to speak on exactly how the scene is controlled by the south not just in terms of sound. The east and midwest have relatively little tug. The only reason they have any is because of the money previously earned back in the day. There was nothing aimed at you in that post.

Dude, im literally just fucking around with you. I dont agree with you on that southern tip, but everything else is just bullshit from me lol. I aint that serious. I also hear a slight trap in Ye, but its mostly Swag Yeezy. 2 Chainz and Pusha give Cruel Bummer that trap vibe.

WanderingWind

Dude, im literally just fucking around with you. I dont agree with you on that southern tip, but everything else is just bullshit from me lol. I aint that serious. I also hear a slight trap in Ye, but its mostly Swag Yeezy. 2 Chainz and Pusha give Cruel Bummer that trap vibe.

My brother from another mother right here

Cudder

if Rocky were to put out an album right now, it would do sub 50k. Since no one knows when his album will drop, he's got time to build hype and try to change that, though.

Esch

Banned
real talk i thought Kanye was gonna sign Keef, but i think on the low he recognizes that dude is a liability and maybe a flash in the pan. For what it's worth i think it would be an ace business move for him to do so, judging by that Love Sosa response (4.5 mill views on yt already).

Just checked his wikipedia page and

1) he's signed to Interscope i guess
2) he has aspbergers (lol)

ironically enough i ride for the midwest harder (at a bit of a geographical crossroads) so lol either way

If anything, it's the other way around. Kanye has been influencing the way popular rap has been shaped for a minute. I think he's been influencing the southern sound way more than vice versa. On individual tracks, every rapper takes influences from different places, but I don't think it's as big a stylejack as insecure southern fans make it seem.

And I don't even ride Ye's nuts like that.

Errrr no not at all lol. Early Ye? Sure I'd definitely say he influenced a lot of southern rappers and their singles. Nowadays? Nah lol.

I mean if you really can't see it lol then I believe you are just blind tbh. He's even been reaching out to plenty of trap rappers and producers. There's a lot more out there than we have heard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
real talk i thought Kanye was gonna sign Keef, but i think on the low he recognizes that dude is a liability and maybe a flash in the pan. For what it's worth i think it would be an ace business move for him to do so, judging by that Love Sosa response (4.5 mill views on yt already).

Just checked his wikipedia page and

1) he's signed to Interscope i guess
2) he has aspbergers (lol)

ironically enough i ride for the midwest harder (at a bit of a geographical crossroads) so lol either way
I don't think Kanye was trying to sign Keef at all. They haven't even met once. Before Ye signs someone he usually at least lets them hang around for a few months to work on his various projects. I think he knew from the start Keef wouldn't be a keeper. Dude has another 2 years in the game maximum.

Then again dude is pretty erratic, I wouldn't have been surprised if he did.

Esch

Banned
Biggest Ye influence in the south I see is like KRIT maybe, but honestly i don't see much of that shit having made as big of waves as it did in other scenes in southern rap. I think the majority of southern records from back in the day take the most outside influence from G-funk

WanderingWind

Errrr no not at all lol. Early Ye? Sure I'd definitely say he influenced a lot of southern rappers and their singles.

I mean if you really can't see it lol then I believe you are just blind tbh. He's even been reaching out to plenty of trap rappers and producers. There's a lot more out there than we have heard.

Yeah, I'm sure there are way more rappers wanting to be [insert generic trap rapper] than Kanye. I mean, how can you even deny his impact on rap's sound since he landed. This is some Eminem didn't have that much impact type of revisionism...

Nobody is saying there is no influence...again, every rapper takes influence from all sorts of places. But I don't see this massive southern influence. Some? Sure. He's also had influence from Jay, European house music, glam rock, West coast production, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure there are way more rappers wanting to be [insert generic trap rapper] than Kanye. I mean, how can you even deny his impact on rap's sound since he landed. This is some Eminem didn't have that much impact type of revisionism...

Nobody is saying there is no influence...again, every rapper takes influence from all sorts of places. But I don't see this massive southern influence. Some? Sure. He's also had influence from Jay, European house music, glam rock, West coast production, etc.

Where did i deny his impact on his sound? Read what I said. I actually agreed but I said during a certain time period, Kanye influence in the game was more obvious in the past, but nowadays? Not so much, not to say he still isn't a huge artist, but whether it comes to singles and such, you hear his sound/influence a lot less.

Actually just screw this conversation, yall somehow got me to talk about Kanye West and I didn't want this. It's bad enough we rank his albums every 2 days.

Esch

Banned
actually this discussion is kinda why i hate GOOD music right now, shit is a fucking mess of ideas and sounds. Youve got some trap shit going on, some conscious shit, some brostep, some hipster bon iver shit, just a goddamn trainwreck. its like if you had a potluck and people bought peking duck, creme brulee, baked beans, and lamb shawarma all at the same time. Individually they taste pretty good but when you eat that shit together you end up not liking any of it and then eventually violent diarrhea

WanderingWind

actually this discussion is kinda why i hate GOOD music right now, shit is a fucking mess of ideas and sounds. Youve got some trap shit going on, some conscious shit, some brostep, some hipster bon iver shit, just a goddamn trainwreck. its like if you had a potluck and people bought peking duck, creme brulee, baked beans, and lamb shawarma all at the same time. Individually they taste pretty good but when you eat that shit together you end up not liking any of it and then eventually violent diarrhea

Yeah, exactly. That's what happens when you take old rappers like Common and throw them on the same record as Chief Keef. Or a coke rapper like Pusha and stick him next to Kanye. Or Cudi's spoken word bullshit next to anybody with musical talent. A label with variety is good...a record with that level of changeup ends up being a mess. Like the last half of Cruel Summer...which sounded like a totally different record than the first half.

CRS

He's been on the electronic thing ever since Graduation. (Daft Punk sample)

Real talk, I'm not sure what happened but I love 808s so much more than the last time I ranked Kanye's albums eons ago. I remember really hating that shit when it came out.

But I still can't compare it to his other albums. It's just a whole other entity.

You think Kanye has become like the hip-hop equivalent of Radiohead, where you have to rank their albums all the time.
He's the voice of our generation!!!!!!!!!

Revised list

10-16 Soulja Boys: Ezno, DominoKid
17-18 Soulja Girls: peterboy
19 California Boys: Soilbreak, Overcast, MuddyDonut
20-26 Ninjas in Paris: Esch, PhoenixDark, cacophony, toku, Recon, HiResDes, Detox, Macca, Cudder, IrishNinja, cdyhybrid, Tguy, CRS, spindashing, etc
27-29 Gangstas and Gentlemen: Jo Shishido's Cheeks, 36 Chambers, coldvein, WanderingWind
30-37 DMX 2012: siddx
(30-37 Slaughterhouse: sf2fanatic, CaptYamato, Zeus Molecules, K.Jack)
38-45 OG: Kampsy
45-47 Socks and Sandals: Blackace

Funny little story about DMX, my mother always confuses him for 2Pac. Every time she sees a movie with DMX in it, she's always telling me how she was watching a movie with 2Pac in it and I'm like "Ma, that's not him. ಠ_ಠ"

WanderingWind

Revised list

10-16 Soulja Boys: Ezno, DominoKid
17-18 Soulja Girls: peterboy
19 California Boys: Soilbreak, Overcast, MuddyDonut
20-26 Ninjas in Paris: Esch, PhoenixDark, cacophony, toku, Recon, HiResDes, Detox, Macca, Cudder, IrishNinja, cdyhybrid, Tguy, CRS, spindashing, etc
27-29 Gangstas and Gentlemen: Jo Shishido's Cheeks, 36 Chambers, coldvein, WanderingWind
30-37 DMX 2012: siddx
(30-37 Slaughterhouse: sf2fanatic, CaptYamato, Zeus Molecules, K.Jack)
38-45 OG: Kampsy
45-47 Socks and Sandals: Blackace

I'm 32 brah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom