• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Ab-Soul - 47 Bars (prod. by Alchemist)

Nyj9cWz.jpg

why did he have to give the beat to him

A long time ago a friend drunkenly asked me "what if Canibus couldn't rap?" Well after listening to Flab Soul over the last year...now we know.

TDE's fall has been crazy. Not counting Kendrick, but the rest of the crew. Really seems like the hype was a farce: they were just a label with one dope guy and some others that sound/look bad under the lights.

Soul is straight up wack now, no denying. I'm not sure his career is salvageable at this point.

Q had a big album and a hit song, so he's not a failure...but the album was meh. I doubt he'll ever match HnC. He still has potential though IMO, give his ear for beats.

Jay Rock is a pretty average west coast rapper brehs, gotta admit it now. All he needed was a Mustard beat last summer to sell 60-70k records first week and bow out. Now he'll sell 15-20k with whatever his next weak single will be.

They're forgettable. It's cool that they have fanbases and can tour nonstop but we didn't even get a nice phase one of releases from them. GKMC and that's it. Now it's phase two...seems like we'll get another dope Kendrick album, Q could surpass Oxymoron...but that's it. I'm not counting Rashad, just focusing on the original 2011 lineup that seemed like it was poised for good things. Section80+HnC+CC was a dope prologue phase. But since then...

injurai

Banned
I think TDE could come around. Not really surprised they had some sophomore growing pains. Isaiah Rashad hasn't slipped yet. Q's Oxy is popular with people who aren't hip-hop heads like all of yall. Other that "i" Kendrick really hasn't slipped. If anything he'll just choose one strong fanbase over another.

But you're spot on with the others. They have some damage control to do.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Isaiah Rashad has a ton of potential. Cilvia Demo was kind of like a southern version of Section.80 to me. people seem to like SZA quite a bit too.

to PD's point, TDE's fall really is something. they were at the top of the world at this time last year. touted releasing 6 big projects by the end of 2014. now all of their hype is just gone. amazing.

Isaiah Rashad is definitely dope and released a great album last year. I doubt he has much of any mainstream appeal though. They'll be sustainable/relevant solely due to Kendrick and Q.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rashad seems pretty low key. The only time I recall hearing him since Cilvia was on SZA's album. No features or loosies.

overcast

Cause TDE management is dumb. He should have dropped that tape and dropped singles/features throughout the year.

Who the hell has he actually collabed with? Lmao.

Courage

I don't see anything wrong with being low key, as long as he keeps a consistent level of quality and a steady fanbase. To the general public listening to the radio, he'd just sound like another Kendrick. Not everyone in a label has to blow up.

injurai

Banned
Cause TDE management is dumb. He should have dropped that tape and dropped singles/features throughout the year.

Who the hell has he actually collabed with? Lmao.

Why is steady output, features, collabs so important? I fail to see how his personal success plays into how we view the label or him as an artist.

overcast

Why is steady output, features, collabs so important? I fail to see how his personal success plays into how we view the label or him as an artist.
I don't think 1 album was enough to judge rashad considering he's done nothing else. I think success and getting his name out is important in getting interesting collaborations whether it be through production or other rappers. Plus I believe you will lose dedicated fans over time if you give them nothing for years at a time. It makes no sense to me. Don't be like Jeezy, but do something. Otherwise the next tape/album has inflated expectations.

The label itself is there for promotion and sales. Output too, but the releases have been suspect.

IrishNinja

PD outchea trynna make TDE the 2014 Odd Future

gotta catch up with the show
that s9 ending was "holy fuck"

wait what show is this

Nah, Bronson x Ghostface album. Ghosface rapping over Alchemist beats and Bronson rapping over RZA beats.

as if there's not enough tired comparisons between them though? nah

A long time ago a friend drunkenly asked me "what if Canibus couldn't rap?" Well after listening to Flab Soul over the last year...now we know.

...shit
this is gonna be stuck in my head now if i ever listen to flab again

I'll see you at the end so

will you though fam
will you really

IrishNinja

you guys watch house of cards
just watching the second last episode now

shit, season 3 dropped yeah? gotta catch that soon, flash is on hiatus, so it's just saul, some walking dead and...roommate's pushing Banshee, a friend is pushing a BBC one Misfits. not much else though

supernatural

...oh
yeah i dunno about 9 seasons of that, was thinking about Hannibal after alla talk in here though

shit, season 3 dropped yeah? gotta catch that soon, flash is on hiatus, so it's just saul, some walking dead and...roommate's pushing Banshee, a friend is pushing a BBC one Misfits. not much else though

yeah man yesterday
and im caught up on saul too, got way better after the first episode imo

overcast

Currensy asked about another project with Alc
Yeah, we already putting it together, but I can't give you the full details of it. We already in the works. I have about three of them in my computer right now.

injurai

Banned
I don't think 1 album was enough to judge rashad considering he's done nothing else. I think success and getting his name out is important in getting interesting collaborations whether it be through production or other rappers. Plus I believe you will lose dedicated fans over time if you give them nothing for years at a time. It makes no sense to me. Don't be like Jeezy, but do something. Otherwise the next tape/album has inflated expectations.

The label itself is there for promotion and sales. Output too, but the releases have been suspect.

Fair enough. Sometimes I forget not everyone consumes music like us... we are a special lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom