• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Fair enough. Sometimes I forget not everyone consumes music like us... we are a special lot.
Yeah. I'm just speaking from a fair position. I like TDE's artists (except Soul) so it's frustrating to see such a poorly managed crew. From a fans perspective they don't put out enough good music, why continue following them if they don't give you a reason?
covert coup is a top 3 project by him so fuck yeah.
Definitely. Surprised nobody posted that considering everyone loves that album.

rashad and jay rock are the most badly managed artists of the crew. lol do the public even know they exist?

ab soul puts out stinkers but at least he's still fairly prolific. he's getting features, jay rock is still sleeping.

injurai

Banned
Yeah. I'm just speaking from a fair position. I like TDE's artists (except Soul) so it's frustrating to see such a poorly managed crew. From a fans perspective they don't put out enough good music, why continue following them if they don't give you a reason?

In some ways I think the nature of hip-hop labels role is still lost on me. A lot of the artist I listen to are their own producers. So they make music in their own time. Release when they are ready and happy. The label supports them and if they are good you strap yourself into the tides of their release pattern. Could be 2-4 years between releases. But I certainly agree though that new artists need to immerse themselves in a public presence and carve out a place for themselves before they recline to a long release cycle.

injurai

Banned
jay rock trying so hard to not look like the TDE second fiddle that he doesn't have a seat at all

if your not first your last, and if you don't play the game you can't lose

j "schroedinger" rock

overcast

rashad and jay rock are the most badly managed artists of the crew. lol do the public even know they exist?

ab soul puts out stinkers but at least he's still fairly prolific. he's getting features, jay rock is still sleeping.
There has to be some public knowledge that's the thing. I understand not caring about popularity, but they'll vanish quick and never be heard from again. Some of it has to come down to their work ethic I think. Soul is on a lot of different things. Kendrick probably picks and chooses, and Q shows up a decent amount.
In some ways I think the nature of hip-hop labels role is still lost on me. A lot of the artist I listen to are their own producers. So they make music in their own time. Release when they are ready and happy. The label supports them and if they are good you strap yourself into the tides of their release pattern. Could be 2-4 years between releases. But I certainly agree though that new artists need to immerse themselves in a public presence and carve out a place for themselves before they recline to a long release cycle.
Yeah. I feel like the bigger artists can do the longer cycles. Including even Q, ASAP and Danny Brown. Still, you have to pop up occasionally.

injurai

Banned
Yeah. I feel like the bigger artists can do the longer cycles. Including even Q, ASAP and Danny Brown. Still, you have to pop up occasionally.

Q fired Oxy off way too early. Got two albums out before Kendrick got his second. HnC you could tell was a labour of love that had taken time. Oxy was just a fast turn around to capitalize on HnC. It had some great singles, it had some quality play once songs. And it had some trash songs that fucked up the album experience beyond recovery.

Courage

Q fired Oxy off way too early. Got two albums out before Kendrick got his second. HnC you could tell was a labour of love that had taken time. Oxy was just a fast turn around to capitalize on HnC. It had some great singles, it had some quality play once songs. And it had some trash songs that fucked up the album experience beyond recovery.
Very valid assessment actually. Even his introspective tracks on Oxy kinda fell flat, when they were good on Habits and actually showed some lyrical competence.

overcast

Q put a lot of thought into a few of the tracks for sure. Production was lacking on some of the tracks unfortunately. He fell victim to simply not living up to expectations. Good album that wasn't as great as it should have been.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The hell am I reading? Not only were HnC and Oxymoron 2 years apart, but GKMC came out between them, and Oxymoron came out like a year and a half later. Your timeline is fucked up.

Courage

The hell am I reading? Not only were HnC and Oxymoron 2 years apart, but GKMC came out between them, and Oxymoron came out like a year and a half later. Your timeline is fucked up.

Regardless of the timeline, you can tell it didn't feel as complete as Habits. I could sense on my first listen that some tracks just filled up album space for the main purpose of being radio hits. Studio, Collard Greens, Hell Of A Night come to mind.

Q keeps his name out there at least with features. I don't understand the point of not even getting Jay Rock on much of anything, same with Rashad. Jay Rock was on YG's album and sounded pretty good...but outside of that he's been quite for years. It doesn't make sense. He can't get on an Alchemist track or whatever?

Likewise Rashad dropped a dope ass project but hasn't collabed with anyone outside of YGTUT (whose mixtape is dope btw). TDE can't get him on something?

The label is just too insulated. I understand Kendrick not releasing loosies, but the rest of the label isn't on that level. They should be building buzz when possible.

DominoKid

Regardless of the timeline, you can tell it didn't feel as complete as Habits. I could sense on my first listen that some tracks just filled up album space for the main purpose of being radio hits. Studio, Collard Greens, Hell Of A Night come to mind.

interscope wasn't going to let him send an album to market like HNC. obviously including Studio worked out in end for all parties involved. every single can't be a winner.

Courage

Q put a lot of thought into a few of the tracks for sure. Production was lacking on some of the tracks unfortunately. He fell victim to simply not living up to expectations. Good album that wasn't as great as it should have been.

yea i agree with this post way more than the one about Oxy being rushed
(which i dont think it was at all)

For sure, but they still were a detriment if you're judging the album as a whole. Some of those tracks stuck out like a sore thumb.

Especially Hell Of A Night. It sounds like one of those tracks labels stack up as generic, potential singles. I remember Lupe saying Atlantic always sends him pop rap tracks, oftentimes with a placeholder hook.

Especially Hell Of A Night. It sounds like one of those tracks labels stack up as generic, potential singles. I remember Lupe saying Atlantic always sends him pop rap tracks, oftentimes with a placeholder hook.

btw that lupe interview you linked earlier with sway was powerful. sometimes lupe has his head in the right place, it's a shame i find his music so awful now.

studio wasn't very good but i think it worked. hell of a night not so much.

XBP

Ab-Soul - 47 Bars (prod. by Alchemist)

Nyj9cWz.jpg

why did he have to give the beat to him

Decent enough I guess.

Last day of February's playlist:

Clear Soul Forces - Smash Bros. - Cheat Codes (2015)
Sammus - America - M'other Brain(2012)
Sammus - Games & Cartoons - M'other Brain(2012)

Sammus - School's Out - Prime(2013)
Sammus - Nu Black - Prime(2013)
Sammus - Growin Up - Prime(2013)

Natti - Another Galaxy - Still Motion (2013)
Blitz The Ambassador - Black Market - Soul Rebel (2004)
DJ Quik - Safe & Sound - Safe & Sound (1995)
MC Melodee - Worldwide Connect ft Roc C - Vibing High (2007)
Mixla Productions - Real Perfect Old School Beat
Sa-Roc - Afrika (feat. StaHHr, Mikeflo, Skipp, Coon, & Ekundayo) - The Book of Light
Nitty Scott MC - The Unlearning - The Art of Chill (2014)
Nitty Scott MC - Knowbody Knows - The Art of Chill (2014)
Nine - Warriors - Cloud 9 (1996)
Small Professor - Morgan Freeman Swag - Elderly Jawns (2011)
The IllJazztic One - Just the Same - Soul of the 70's (2014)
Young MC - Bust a Move - Stone Cold Rhymin' (1989)
Ahmad - Back in the Day - Ahmad (1994)
Nikki Lynette - Shut the Fuck Up Boy - Roses N Guns 2: The Badder Ass Mixtape That Rocks (2011)
Raisi K the Raisin Man - Mt. Moon Traphouse
Mr. Mood & Erik Jackcon - Tomorrow - Ten Til Tomorrow (2014)
Nas & Damian Marley - Patience - Distant Relatives (2010)
Various - Points - Panther Soundtrack (1995)
Sa-Roc - Assassin's Sound - Nebuchadnezzar (2014)
David Banner - Evil Knievel ft. Ernestine Johnson - Evil Knievel (2014)
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Thuggish Ruggish Bone - Creepin on ah Come Up (1994)
Deadly Venoms - What's the Deal? - Pretty Thugs 2000 (2000)
Clear Soul Forces - Continue? - Gold PP7's (2013)
Bambu - Sun in a Million - Sun of a Gun (2013)
Slimkid3 & DJ Nu - Mark I Know Didnt I featuring Darondo
Fresh Daily - NightFree - Tomorrow Is Today (2009)

Last day of February's playlist:

Clear Soul Forces - Smash Bros. - Cheat Codes (2015)
Sammus - America - M'other Brain(2012)
Sammus - Games & Cartoons - M'other Brain(2012)

Sammus - School's Out - Prime(2013)
Sammus - Nu Black - Prime(2013)
Sammus - Growin Up - Prime(2013)

Natti - Another Galaxy - Still Motion (2013)
Blitz The Ambassador - Black Market - Soul Rebel (2004)
DJ Quik - Safe & Sound - Safe & Sound (1995)
MC Melodee - Worldwide Connect ft Roc C - Vibing High (2007)
Mixla Productions - Real Perfect Old School Beat
Sa-Roc - Afrika (feat. StaHHr, Mikeflo, Skipp, Coon, & Ekundayo) - The Book of Light
Nitty Scott MC - The Unlearning - The Art of Chill (2014)
Nitty Scott MC - Knowbody Knows - The Art of Chill (2014)
Nine - Warriors - Cloud 9 (1996)
Small Professor - Morgan Freeman Swag - Elderly Jawns (2011)
The IllJazztic One - Just the Same - Soul of the 70's (2014)
Young MC - Bust a Move - Stone Cold Rhymin' (1989)
Ahmad - Back in the Day - Ahmad (1994)
Nikki Lynette - Shut the Fuck Up Boy - Roses N Guns 2: The Badder Ass Mixtape That Rocks (2011)
Raisi K the Raisin Man - Mt. Moon Traphouse
Mr. Mood & Erik Jackcon - Tomorrow - Ten Til Tomorrow (2014)
Nas & Damian Marley - Patience - Distant Relatives (2010)
Various - Points - Panther Soundtrack (1995)
Sa-Roc - Assassin's Sound - Nebuchadnezzar (2014)
David Banner - Evil Knievel ft. Ernestine Johnson - Evil Knievel (2014)
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Thuggish Ruggish Bone - Creepin on ah Come Up (1994)
Deadly Venoms - What's the Deal? - Pretty Thugs 2000 (2000)
Clear Soul Forces - Continue? - Gold PP7's (2013)
Bambu - Sun in a Million - Sun of a Gun (2013)
Slimkid3 & DJ Nu - Mark I Know Didnt I featuring Darondo
Fresh Daily - NightFree - Tomorrow Is Today (2009)

RIP to the fam on mobile

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
y'all catch those #dualities tho

6th album: Yeezus; 7th album: So Help Me God

asking himself for help brehs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom