• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Second one gonna be the collabo album with Cole.

I don't think a second album is coming. They might just be running with that to quell some criticisms but I doubt he's pulling a Future.

This album would've been far better off as an EP
What if it's something like Untitled Unmastered? Just B-sides from DAMN.

Squalor

I don't think a second album is coming. They might just be running with that to quell some criticisms but I doubt he's pulling a Future.

This album would've been far better off as an EP
I don't know how he would even have a quality second album if so many clunkers made it onto this one.

HiResDes

I see. Yeah, it didn't bother me on Coloring Book either, strangely. I have more problems with the lyrical content, I think, not necessarily with Gospel-y sound itself. I know this is a really complex topic and I don't really have the time to delve deeper, but it irks me if, for example, T.I. on the last Drink Champs episode talks about political activism and whatnot, but then also preaches to - and I'm paraphrasing - "let God handle everything for you because everytime I tried to take something in my own hand it didn't work out as well as when God does", which means what? Don't try to do anything yourself and wait for... miracles to change this fucking status-quo in the US? How does this help the black community in times like these? I don't know, maybe I took it at face value or misunderstood the context, and it was just some kind of generic wise saying meaning to "have faith" and not actually that you shouldn't take matters in your own hands?
Coloring Book has the stupid church lyricism too breh, "I don't believe in science, I believe in signs," for example.

Koozek

Coloring Book has the stupid church lyricism too breh, "I don't believe in science, I believe in signs," for example.
Yeah, yeah, no doubt. That's why I said "strangely it didn't bother me". I kinda ignore the lyrics because I like the smooth New Chicago sound so much.

Fjordson

Not really liking the album overall aside from a few good tracks, but all the Kendrick fan theories on twitter are making up for it lmao. Didn't realize he had such an obsessive fanbase.

thinking there's gonna a double album is fucking stupid imo

any double album I ever heard would have been better just as a single album

except summer 06

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
thinking there's gonna a double album is fucking stupid imo

any double album I ever heard would have been better just as a single album

except summer 06
Summer 06 is more like an A side B side rather than a double album. Old was the same thing.

Agreed on double albums usually not being worth it though. I don't know how The Game could justify not just editing down his last shit into a shorter, stronger release. Most albums are too long as they are.

Catvoca

Banned
This might show how long it's been since I bought any new album physical but I didn't know Summertime '06 was a double album.

Yeah, he said that thematically he just thought it made sense to make it in two parts even if it's not that long.

You know you've hit side 2 when that insane 3230 beat kicks in, whew.

overcast

2nd album rumors are absurd

It's fan entitlment that seems to be growing lately with big albums. People already want a second gorillaz album after the newest one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Album is okay. Just not really exciting or anything noteworthy about it, y'know? Sporadic thoughts after first listen, highlights are:

DNA
ELEMENT
HUMBLE
XXX
FEAR (although I swear this is the same beat as another Kendrick song that I can't name ATM.
DUCKWORTH.

None immediate keepers though, probably because the production is kind of whatever-to-good and I feel like Kendrick goes in and out of lyrics or rhyme schemes I care for. Doesn't always come together, I like the content on YAH but the song is kinda forgettable. I like the beat and message on FEEL but spare me starting every line with the same word for 3 minutes. ELEMENT, LOVE, and GOD sound like rejected Drake tracks, ESPECIALLY with GOD with that intro. Had a sensible chuckle when that song started, followed by cringe.

Nothing on here is even close to being as good as The Heart Pt.4 though. HUMBLE doesn't feel like it fits on the album, and like it's just a single he needed to drum up anticipation hype and conversation (omg is Kendrick trap now?!). It worked though, and I don't blame labels for putting those kinds of songs onto albums.

Speaking of The Heart Pt.4, that song is like a good version of what DAMN. attempts to do all over. A great, soulful beat with some punchy drums, some energy peppered throughout with an uptempo, harder beat and matching cadences, and a transition that doesn't suck (brings down the project as a whole, you would've thought rappers would have learned after the Rodeo masterclass on transitions in songs, SMH MCs continually falling years behind La Flame).

I expect my opinion of this to change as I dive into it deeper and kind of dissect the thematic elements, but so far all it does is give me the itch to listen to the latest Goldlink which may not have the same content (also, Kendrick's raps about people getting shot are all starting to sound the same) but stitches some of same styles Kendrick tries to much better.

I don't even fuck with TPAB like that, but none of these songs are as good as something like Wesley's Theory either.

palate cleanse whew

FZZ

Banned
Everyone called my hot takes troll posts but my ass was pretty accurate for only listening to it through a surface pro 4

XO Tour Llif3 out now

Excited for his real album Sunday tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everyone called my hot takes troll posts but my ass was pretty accurate for only listening to it through a surface pro 4

XO Tour Llif3 out now

Excited for his real album Sunday tho

Should've saw the way she looked me in the eye
She said baby I am not afraid to, die

2yvv8st.gif

Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead

625201621532837426.gif

overcast

I can usually tell if an album is gonna grow on me, listened to the album three times through now and umm yeah I feel like if a random bandcamp rapper came out with this shit people wouldn't even bother giving in so many playbacks or the benefit of the doubt. It's grossly uneven, I mean some absolute dogshit songs placed some of his best work without any real method or reason. He's always had a couple of stinkers but usually those stinkers still had a place within the larger concept. I'm fine with him going for something lower key and less heavy feeling conceptually but the fat then needs to be trimmed.
Firstly, you having the power to suddenly know how something will grow on you defeats the purpose of something growing on you. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that.

Secondly, nobody gives a fuck about band camp rappers. We've all been saying this for years, how you don't realize how ridiculous that sounds is lost on me. Kendrick rose similar ranks and is one of the most popular rappers around, people who like and hate him will listen as soon as he drops an album. There's no science to it, that's what it is and has been.

Otherwise I feel like your complaints are typically well stated and valid enough to post. I don't think there is a lot of fat here, kinda flies by for me.

riotous

Banned
Secondly, nobody gives a fuck about band camp rappers.

I love a ton of the bandcamp stuff Des has linked us too. Bought the entire $UICIDEBOY$ discog for instance.

I don't agree with Des's opinion per say, but I do agree Kendrick definitely gets a hype bonus from people. TPAB for instance; all these people saying it's a classic but "hard to listen to" lol. I actually DO like TPAB and listen to some of the songs on the regular, but find that kind of comment sort of hilarious.

FZZ

Banned
Firstly, you having the power to suddenly know how something will grow on you defeats the purpose of something growing on you. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that.

Secondly, nobody gives a fuck about band camp rappers. We've all been saying this for years, how you don't realize how ridiculous that sounds is lost on me. Kendrick rose similar ranks and is one of the most popular rappers around, people who like and hate him will listen as soon as he drops an album. There's no science to it, that's what it is and has been.

Otherwise I feel like your complaints are typically well stated and valid enough to post. I don't think there is a lot of fat here, kinda flies by for me.

Not fat, but did you get a sense that some parts of the album either sounded lazy or just apathetic?

That was kinda the vibe I got from some of his newer flows, they didn't feel like they had a main purpose it was just a switch up for something new and something he hadn't done before

The face he had on the cover perfectly encapsulated the vibe of the album for me

LionPride

Banned
Damn is a pretty concise and short album. It doesn't feel too long, I love TPAB but at times if I ain't in the mood, that shit drags. Damn starts strong, has a good middle, and a good end. DNA is really dope, so is Loyalty, and Element, and XXX, and Duckworth. Really the whole album. It's the creativity of TPAB and the style of GKMC made into one really good album. No complaints from me, even TPAB had a couple songs I disliked first go round. On listen like 7 I think and still no songs I dislike.

HiResDes

The growth matter is pretty simple. Damn is a pretty surface level affair. It's like a lesser John Singleton flick, what you see is what you get. It's not Mulholland Drive. It's not enigmatic, it's not all too deep, it's doesn't contain much potential for growth. It's a sterilized petri dish.

Damn isn't long, but there's quite a few of bad tracks in my opinion, it makes the flaws glare more.

I have Damn on the same level as of XXX. Couple bad tracks but outside of that, fucking great.

But really, its so fucking early I got to live with this album for about a month before I can come to any sort of assessment.

overcast

I love a ton of the bandcamp stuff Des has linked us too. Bought the entire $UICIDEBOY$ discog for instance.

I don't agree with Des's opinion per say, but I do agree Kendrick definitely gets a hype bonus from people. TPAB for instance; all these people saying it's a classic but "hard to listen to" lol. I actually DO like TPAB and listen to some of the songs on the regular, but find that kind of comment sort of hilarious.
I'm not saying bandcamp rappers are universally trash or anywhere close. I'm saying there is zero reason to compare or bring that up.
Not fat, but did you get a sense that some parts of the album either sounded lazy or just apathetic?

That was kinda the vibe I got from some of his newer flows, they didn't feel like they had a main purpose it was just a switch up for something new and something he hadn't done before

The face he had on the cover perfectly encapsulated the vibe of the album for me
Maybe like loyalty but I feel like it's certainly not apathetic. It's a self reflective personal album and I do believe Kendrick set out to make exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom