• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone reccomend some good Rich Homie Quan tapes/albums to listen to?

Rich Gang: Tha Tour Pt. 1 with Thug and
birdman2.png

Koozek

Hmmm, so I listened to DAMN last night for the first time, slept a night on it, and will listen again later today to let it sink in more. It was... nice, nothing too outstanding or mind-blowing like, for example, TPAB was the first time. Though, first impressions are almost always worthless I've learned over the years, with most of my favorite albums having needed several listens before they clicked.

I have to say I was positively surprised by Kenny's rapping, though. It wasn't as stiff and technical as I feared. Less weird voices, less screaming. He actually rode the beats, pretty smoothly even at parts, which I haven't felt too often with him recently. There's definitely a strange mood bubbling under the surface the whole time, which is not as in-your-face depressing, but still somehow unpleasant, or at least that's how it felt to me. Can't put my finger on it, but I liked it.

LUST made me wish he would make his own The Love Below, real talk. The U2 song somehow worked too, which I didn't expect. Only song I disliked was God. Don't remember it well enough to explain why, but I think it somehow felt like a parody song because of his voice and flow, or have I misinterpreted that completely, lol? It was super late last night, so maybe I perceived the whole album differently. Didn't even get the narrative arc until I checked Genius for the last track's lyrics. Is that story true? oO Is it the first time it was addressed in his music?

Curious how my feelings will change throughout the next few listens, but I suspect it won't stay in rotation too long. Let's see, though.

Carti sounds even more like UnoTheActivist and Thouxanbandfauni
pRup3pN.gif

Soundcloud was a mistake
This is post of the month.
No way Des is not fucking with us and didn't make up that second name.

Nibel

Carti sounds even more like UnoTheActivist and Thouxanbandfauni

Look at this fraud knowledge, lmao. Stop feeding all these young and naive twentysometings in this thread false information breh, this is how reality show hosts become presidents

Carti is almost a 1:1 copy of MagnumOpossum (listen to his This Ain't Sugar In The Muffins mixtape) and might be slightly influenced by Poonanza. He doesn't sound anything like Uno or Thoux at all

Koozek

Look at this fraud knowledge, lmao. Stop feeding all these young and naive twentysometings in this thread false information breh, this is how reality show hosts become presidents

Carti is almost a 1:1 copy of MagnumOpossum (listen to his This Ain't Sugar In The Muffins mixtape) and might be slightly influenced by Poonanza. He doesn't sound anything like Uno or Thoux at all
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png

TheRadNadz

Neo Member
I'm truly surprised by some of the average responses Damn. seems to be getting in this thread. Though to be honest, there is hardly ever a general consensus on anything in here with the more active members lol.

Section 80 didn't really do much for me. GKMC was brilliant and by far my most played Kendrick album. TPAB was such an amazing body of work but I can only play it through when I have time to truly digest it properly. And about 15 plays later, DAMN. truly feels like something special that will be getting heavy rotation in the future.

This is Kendrick in his absolute prime. No longer anything to prove, this is just an amazingly polished project from start to finish (LOVE. Feels like the only misstep to me at the moment). He's mastered the use of his different cadences, the flows, his storytelling and wordplay is just so on point throughout. The production is phenomenal. It's the perfect length and I feel his most personal work to date. It's probably his most accessible work without compromising everything that makes Kendrick an incredible rapper.

With my personal favourites Pusha, Earl, Cyhi & Vince dropping projects this year, Damn. has set a VERY high standard to match.

I’m truly surprised by some of the average responses Damn. seems to be getting in this thread. Though to be honest, there is hardly ever a general consensus on anything in here with the more active members lol.

Section 80 didn't really do much for me. GKMC was brilliant and by far my most played Kendrick album. TPAB was such an amazing body of work but I can only play it through when I have time to truly digest it properly. And about 15 plays later, DAMN. truly feels like something special that will be getting heavy rotation in the future.

This is Kendrick in his absolute prime. No longer anything to prove, this is just an amazingly polished project from start to finish (LOVE. Feels like the only misstep to me at the moment). He’s mastered the use of his different cadences, the flows, his storytelling and wordplay is just so on point throughout. The production is phenomenal. It’s the perfect length and I feel his most personal work to date. It’s probably his most accessible work without compromising everything that makes Kendrick an incredible rapper.

With my personal favourites Pusha, Earl, Cyhi & Vince dropping projects this year, Damn. has set a VERY high standard to match.
Yeah, i fucking love DAMN

HiResDes

Does anyone here truly think this album(DAMN.) is better than Blank Face or even The Sun's Tirade?
Listened to it in the car all day yesterday and I absolutely adore certain tracks, but others still seem out of place and ruin the vibe for me. I'd say it's still better than Blankface ever so slightly but not quite as good as Sun's Tirade which seemed more even and consistent though its highs were not as high.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Does anyone here truly think this album(DAMN.) is better than Blank Face or even The Sun's Tirade?
I don't like pitting favourites against each other, but I feel DAMN. achieves its objectives as an album moreso than either of those, even if both are very strong in hard as fuck gangsta rap and a smooth vibe respectively.

Both Sun's Tirade and Blank Face are a couple tracks too long, and I don't feel the same for DAMN, which is surprisingly lean coming off GKMC and TPAB.

Who knows which I'll like the most going forward. I didn't even expect Sun's Tirade to be my most played last year. But I will say, of the three, DAMN has had the most immediate impact, affected me the most and engaged my mind the most.

Sun's Tirade is just so listenable though, I almost feel bad when I play it again because I've got a backlog of shit to check out. And Q made, IMO, the best gangsta rap song in at least a decade with Groovy Tony.

Writing this up, I'm just happy to have so much music to love.

HiResDes

Dereck

Gave the new Actress about 5 spins, it's generally underwhelming. I think I enjoyed his protege's project from Moire a little bit more but they're both about even.

thabiz

Gave the new Actress about 5 spins, it's generally underwhelming. I think I enjoyed his protege's project from Moire a little bit more but they're both about even.

I think you need to have a strong bond with early-mid 90 acid house and UK tech house to really get it. He's made an awesome throwback record with some modern touches.

It's so eukahouse/eukatech it hurts.

Nice. Didn't remember this being on Imperial, googled, and it turns out he re-released the album on streaming services months later and replaced two tracks - Narcotics, and Pure Enough - with this one and Me Now.
Yeah when I went through the album I was shocked that I didn't retain those songs. It makes sense now.

Dereck

I think you need to have a strong bond with early-mid 90 acid house and UK tech house to really get it. He's made an awesome throwback record with some modern touches.

It's so eukahouse/eukatech it hurts.
I love Ghettoville over everything he's made so I chalk it up to probably what you said and an appreciation of different sounds.

thabiz

I love Ghettoville over everything he's made so I chalk it up to probably what you said and an appreciation of different sounds.

It's a super techno / house oriented record for him. I'd be surprised people that aren't into the house / techno scene liking it. The beats are super 90s underground shit. Its one of my aoty simply based on the nostalgia factor.

It's also a great record.

Dereck

It's a super techno / house oriented record for him. I'd be surprised people that aren't into the house / techno scene liking it. The beats are super 90s underground shit. Its one of my aoty simply based on the nostalgia factor.

It's also a great record.
But you do understand why a super Ghettoville fan, an album that has some super slow menacing, IDM and Ambient House shit wouldn't be so hot over AZD right? Haven't actually spoke to anyone in depth about this kind of music. If it helps, I'm a big fan of Voodoo Posse

thabiz

But you do understand why a super Ghettoville fan, an album that has some super slow menacing, IDM and Ambient House shit wouldn't be so hot over AZD right? Haven't actually spoke to anyone in depth about this kind of music. If it helps, I'm a big fan of Voodoo Posse

Yeah I can totally see why you wouldn't like it. It's a dance floor record made for DJs. It's not deep record at all with layers to discover on multiple listens.

Dereck

Yeah I can totally see why you wouldn't like it. It's a dance floor record made for DJs. It's not deep record at all with layers to discover on multiple listens.
I like the album though, btw.

But yeah, I get you.

Dancing in the Smoke describes a lot of what you're talking about, I understand the sound.

HiResDes

Check out this album from earlier in the year if you haven't, pretty good Deep House:

RS1702packshot-web-1-442x442.jpg

thabiz

I like the album though, btw.

But yeah, I get you.

We should talk more about music.

Check out the new verge record. That's probably up your alley. That bug vs earth record is dope as fuck too. You'd also like the new varg and ulwhedar.

Yes. We should discuss music more.

Dereck

Check out the new verge record. That's probably up your alley.
I did, I really enjoyed it

That bug vs earth record is dope as fuck too.
It's dope but it's also kind of long winded. Nice sounds and ideas but some of the tracks are filler.

Since it looks like a producer rap album I actively avoided listening to it, I probably should anyway.

and ulwhedar
Yep, it was solid.

I'm also into D.Å.R.F.D.H.S., Abdulla Rashim is also solid too. Particularly this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom