• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF? Spider kills snake (kidding, of course its Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/daddy-long-legs-spider-wins-battle-brown-snake/7154766

7154834-3x4-700x933.jpg

Farmer and photographer Patrick Lees said it was the first time he had seen a spider kill a snake.

"I've heard about it, but I've never seen it, let alone a daddy-long-legs," Mr Lees said.

The farmer found the snake on his property at Weethalle, near West Wyalong in central west New South Wales, on Saturday.

The snake was a juvenile about one metre long.

Mr Lees has left it in the web, where a group of spiders has begun spinning a web over the snake's face and tail.

"I'm not going to deny them their victory," he said.

Straya.

legend166

How the heck does a Daddy Long Legs kill a snake?

A Daddy Long Legs is something you see in the shower and shrug because it's so harmless so it just chills in the corner with you.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
This isn't completely unheard of yet if I ever happen upon this one day I will leave this country in a heartbeat D:

Fake edit: I have one of these dudes chilling in my shower for the last few weeks. I think he just overstayed his welcome...

Yagharek

How the heck does a Daddy Long Legs kill a snake?

A Daddy Long Legs is something you see in the shower and shrug because it's so harmless so it just chills in the corner with you.

I think the same method red backs use. Snagline webs on the ground tangle around a passing snake. As it struggles they wrap themselves in it, the length left over decreases and they essentially drag themselves up.

Its like ultimate sushi train home delivery.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I think the same method red backs use. Snagline webs on the ground tangle around a passing snake. As it struggles they wrap themselves in it, the length left over decreases and they essentially drag themselves up.

Its like ultimate sushi train home delivery.

The visual of this just gave me the heeby jeebies D:

FUME5

Daddy Longlegs have potent venom but can't mess with humans because their fangs are too short to inject it through your skin.

Fusebox

Banned
Daddy Longlegs have potent venom but can't mess with humans because their fangs are too short to inject it through your skin.

I heard that then I heard it wasn't true. If only there was some way we could check!

From the article:

The Australian Museum lists the daddy-long-legs spider as carnivorous and predatory. The venom is not particularly potent, despite rumours it is one of the world's most poisonous.

"That's an urban myth," Mr Milledge said.

I still don't see how a daddy longlegs killed a snake, I pick them up sometimes to relocate them and they're just like wisps of hair.

Mr Lees has left it in the web, where a group of spiders has begun spinning a web over the snake's face and tail.

"I'm not going to deny them their victory," he said.

In other words, that part of the land belongs to the spiders now.

I didn't get this either. I played with daddy long legs when I was a kid, they seem the most harmless spider imaginable. I really can't see how they could kill a brown snake.

jercruz

Maybe the snake overheated or dehydrated?

daddy long legs are cool, I just let them be. There's about 4-5 in the garage now.

huntsman are cool too, I don't hurt them. I would meet one usually while taking out the trash to the bin, looking straight at me. I just leave the bag next to bin, it can wait until tomorrow...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's an Australian daddy long legs

Big difference

The Australian ones are so harmless I feel bad for squishing them with my barehands. I only do that when the invade my shower though. I'll let them crawl on my hand and put them outside if possible.

Yagharek

I still don't see how a daddy longlegs killed a snake, I pick them up sometimes to relocate them and they're just like wisps of hair.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Wallach

For the record, there's two different things people often claim are "daddy long legs". There are the ones that have really "floppy" looking legs and only have one segment to their body which are harvestmen; those aren't actually even spiders and can't produce silk or webs. Those are the ones that are generally harmless because they don't have any kind of venom, they pretty much just eat stuff that is already decomposing.

There's a type of spider sometimes also mistakenly called "daddy long legs" which are really cellar spiders but I don't think they're what people typically think of when they hear that name (at least in the US), and there's no reason to assume those couldn't bite a human as far as I know (though I've never heard one way or the other if they are dangerous at all).

PirateKing

I think our country is the most chilled with spiders. I got too many weird looking scary ones somewhere in my house. We live in peace.

Jaeger

Eh, I've seen redback husks in longlegs webs, that article was more of a "not quite sure".

It's an urban legend. I can link you to numerous articles but I'm on mobile. Harvestman (what most people call "daddy long legs") aren't even spiders.

FUME5

It's an urban legend. I can link you to numerous articles but I'm on mobile. Harvestman (what most people call "daddy long legs") aren't even spiders.

Yes mate, read the articles. For whatever reason they have not / cannot harm humans and prey on spiders that are venomous to us. I can believe circumstances led this spider to killing that snake, just saying they're no threat to us.

EDIT

And yes, I fell into the trap of believing they were more venomous than they are due to seeing evidence of them eating redbacks, which I see is due to hunting method.

Browny

Banned
Ah, a spider and snake thread. My favourite.

Fuck's sake, Australia. Do you want us to send you some flamethrowers? (Although that might not be good for your food chain. I wonder what would start to thrive or disappear if you didn't have any snakes or spiders...)

Jaeger

I think the common problem when it comes to identify the animals in these threads are the common names or names we use in place of more specific common names. The creature in the photo appears to be a true spider. What most people in the states call a daddy long legs is not a spider. There is at least one more creature that is called a daddy long legs outside of the two mentioned already.

Naturally when discussing them and that shared term is used it causes problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom