• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually "P.S.:", to be a smartass.

You put a : after it? I've never seen that, interesting.

I have another question too, how would you say something like "I hope to hear back from you soon" or something similar when writing a letter?

Edit: Doesn't have to be formal, just like more of hey it was nice hearing from, "I hope to talk to you again soon" sort of sentence.

Edit: Would something like "Ich hoffe, bald von did hören" be ok, or is there another way to say it?

Fritz

You put a : after it? I've never seen that, interesting.

I have another question too, how would you say something like "I hope to hear back from you soon" or something similar when writing a letter?

Edit: Doesn't have to be formal, just like more of hey it was nice hearing from, "I hope to talk to you again soon" sort of sentence.

"Ich würde mich freuen bald von Dir/Ihnen zu hören."

using a PS is considered smartassy in itself, implying that you didn't think about what you wanted to write in the first place.

i disagree, i usually use it when the ps part has nothing to do with what i actually wanted.
ie my mail is full of topic A
but i have a quick remark/question on topic B, that I would put under ps

Wrayfield

i disagree, i usually use it when the ps part has nothing to do with what i actually wanted.
ie my mail is full of topic A
but i have a quick remark/question on topic B, that I would put under ps

Yeah, I'd agree. Or when I'm too lazy to fit topic B somewhere nicely into topic A. I actually remember a few things and write, to friends only, PS, PPS, PPPS, etc.

I have sort of a weird question, is this weird looking J in the photo below mean anything?

BYRIF.png

Normally I would pass it off as a typo but it's a lot larger and different than a letter J would be in that font. Is that some symbol or something on a german keyboard I don't remember? Thanks.

^ it doesn't make any sense. so i assume it's just a typo.

Alright, figured as much but just wanted to checks since I've never seen it.

Edit: Out of curiosity is that an extra character that is in german?

Edit 2: I finally remembered to order the Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski: A Film Legacy, I hope it doesn't suck. :p

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There's ä, ö, ü, ß and ſ, actually. (ſ is dead by now, replaced by s, but it's a German character alright)

Edit: Can't see it in this font; it's like an f with only the left half of the horizontal stroke.

Wrayfield

Out of curiosity is that an extra character that is in german?

From Wikipedia, for all it's worth:
Herkunft der Umlautbuchstaben und des Eszett
Entstehung der Umlautpunkte am Beispiel des ä
1843 Auflage der Reisen und Länderbeschreibungen der älteren und neuesten Zeit, verwendet sowohl neue als auch alte Umlautformen

Die Umlautbuchstaben (ä, ö und ü) entstanden aus der Kombination des jeweiligen lateinischen Buchstaben (also a, o und u) mit einem den Umlaut anzeigenden e. Diese Markierung wurde zunächst (bis zum 15. Jahrhundert) nur fakultativ verwendet – der Buchstabe u konnte sowohl u wie ü bedeuten. Ein e oder i konnte jedoch zur Unterscheidung seit etwa dem 13. Jahrhundert über den Buchstaben gesetzt werden, seltener auch hinter den umgelauteten Buchstaben. Dieses kleine „e“ sieht in handgeschriebener Schrift spätestens im 15. Jahrhundert wie zwei senkrechte Striche aus, aus denen schließlich die zwei heute häufig verwendeten Punkte wurden. Einige Schriftarten verwenden immer noch die senkrechten Striche für die Umlautbuchstaben. Die Umlautbuchstaben werden heute auch in zahlreichen anderen Sprachen verwendet.

Das ß, das auch als scharfes s bekannt ist, ist ursprünglich eine Ligatur aus dem langen ſ (s) und entweder dem runden s oder dem z in den spätmittelalterlichen Bastarden und der neuzeitlichen Frakturschrift. Ab etwa dem Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts wurde die Antiqua auch in deutschsprachigen Ländern gebräuchlicher. Damals enthielten die meisten Antiqua-Schriften keine Buchstaben für das ß, Drucke aus dem 19. Jahrhundert sind daher oftmals ohne ß gesetzt. Bei der Orthographischen Konferenz von 1901 wurde festgelegt, dass die Schriftgießereien in Zukunft ihre Antiqua-Schriften mit der Letter ß zu liefern hätten und für vorhandene Schriften ein ß nachzuliefern sei.
→ Hauptartikel: ß
→ Hauptartikel: ẞ

In Versalschrift wird ersatzweise SS oder (seltener) SZ geschrieben. Für amtliche Dokumente und Formulare ist in versal geschriebenen Namen jedoch zur Unterscheidung ein ß zu schreiben. Bereits anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts wurde die Schaffung eines Großbuchstaben Versal-ß diskutiert, von den bestehenden Entwürfen hat sich aber keiner durchgesetzt. Am 4. April 2008 wurde jedoch das große ß in den Unicode-Standard Version 5.1 als „U+1E9E“ (ẞ) aufgenommen.[5] Verwendung des Versal-Eszett ist für amtliche geografische Namen verbindlich.[6] Das lange s (ſ) wurde auch in der Antiqua gelegentlich gesetzt, es findet sich beispielsweise noch im Leipziger Duden von 1951.

In der deutschen Schreibschrift sind ſ und h einander sehr ähnlich (h hat in der Unterlänge eine Schleife, ſ nicht), speziell bei schwungvoller Schreibweise sind diese Buchstaben leicht zu verwechseln. Hieraus erklärt sich ein typischer Fehler, der bei der Übertragung von Eigennamen von deutscher Schrift in lateinische Schrift vorgekommen ist: So manche Familie Weiſs heißt heute Weihs.

Die Bezeichnung scharfes s bedeutet eigentlich stimmloses s. Nach der Abschaffung der Schlussbuchstabigkeit des ß im Zuge der Rechtschreibreform von 1996 steht der Buchstabe heute (außer in Namen) nach Langvokal und Diphthong und bezeichnet dort ein stimmloses s.

Ist das nicht auf alle Tastaturen?

Ich glaube nicht, dass er das ganz ernst gemeint hat :)

There's ä, ö, ü, ß and ſ, actually. (ſ is dead by now, replaced by s, but it's a German character alright)
Siehe auch fette Passage oben, hab wieder was dazugelernt.

Wrayfield

I have sort of a weird question, is this weird looking J in the photo below mean anything?

BYRIF.png

Normally I would pass it off as a typo but it's a lot larger and different than a letter J would be in that font. Is that some symbol or something on a german keyboard I don't remember? Thanks.

Actually, I'm intrigued. Can you share the source of this? Online dictionary? For a second there I thought it would be this, but that doesn't make sense (and the symbol looks a bit different). It does look like a phonetic smybol though, probably referring to the pronounciation of the "r" in that word. Someone with a proper linguistic background probably knows that right away.

Hieberrr

I left German like 12 years ago, but do you guys still have that channel on TV called Pro-Sieben or something?

I remember watching ER right before the Simpsons every single weekday and Power Rangers every single Saturday morning xD

Wrayfield

I left German like 12 years ago, but do you guys still have that channel on TV called Pro-Sieben or something?

I remember watching ER right before the Simpsons every single weekday and Power Rangers every single Saturday morning xD

Don't watch much TV but Pro 7 is still around, yeah. Think they still show The Simpsons, actually.

Hieberrr

Also, this is a little confusing, but:

Why is "are you" = Sind Sie? I thought Sie Sind = they are; talking about 3rd party group of people?

RELAYER

Banned
Sie is the formal or respectful version of "du"

Depending on context, sie can mean either "she, they, or you (formal)"

If it means formal you it is always capitalized.

Hieberrr

"Sie" means she (3.P Singular), formal you (2.P Singular), they (3.P Plural) and you ("Ihr" 2.P Plural).

In German letters or texts you always write the 2.P singular or plural with a big letter. It's called "Anrede".

What do you mean by "P"?

I'm assuming you mean that "she" = "sie" is always lowercase; "they" and "you" (both singular) = "Sie"; You (plural) = Ihr?

And I don't know if my book is right, but Ihr/Ihre = "your", right? e.g., ist Ihre Mutter hier?

LazyLoki

What do you mean by "P"?

I'm assuming you mean that "she" = "sie" is always lowercase; "they" and "you" (both singular) = "Sie"; You (plural) = Ihr?

And I don't know if my book is right, but Ihr/Ihre = "your", right? e.g., ist Ihre Mutter hier?

P=Person.

And concerning Ihr/Ihre:
Possessive pronoun/version of "Sie", so either 3.P singular female, formal you (2.P singular), they (3.P plural).
Ist das ihre Mutter? (e.g. Erika's mother)
Ist das Ihre Mutter? (e.g. your mother)
Ist das ihre Mutter? (e.g. the mother of the children in the playground)

Or simply the personal pronoun for the 2. P plural.
Geht Ihr bitte hier rüber! (Please come over here)

Or it could mean an archaic version of the formal you, the "pluralis majestatis".
Eure Majestät, schlaft Ihr noch? (Is your majesty still sleeping?)

Hieberrr

P=Person.

And concerning Ihr/Ihre:
Possessive pronoun/version of "Sie", so either 3.P singular female, formal you (2.P singular), they (3.P plural).
Ist das ihre Mutter? (e.g. Erika's mother)
Ist das Ihre Mutter? (e.g. your mother)
Ist das ihre Mutter? (e.g. the mother of the children in the playground)

Or simply be the personal pronoun for the 2. P plural.
Geht Ihr bitte hier rüber! (Please come over here)

Or it could mean an archaic version of the formal you, the "pluralis majestatis".
Eure Majestät, schlaft Ihr noch? (Is your majesty still sleeping?)

Goodness :lol

Das ist so schwer, aber ich wollen lernen :D I hope I got that right.

Actually, I'm intrigued. Can you share the source of this? Online dictionary? For a second there I thought it would be this, but that doesn't make sense (and the symbol looks a bit different). It does look like a phonetic smybol though, probably referring to the pronounciation of the "r" in that word. Someone with a proper linguistic background probably knows that right away.

It's just from an email from a girl I'm friends with in germany. I would always bust her about smoking and she said I can stop worrying that she finally stopped smoking and then that was at the end of the sentence so I was curious if it had a meaning like she was being sarcastic or something.

I have another question also, I'm watching Der Zorn Gottes and the one part he says "Wir bauen Flüsse and something else I forget but the english subtitles it says "Rafts will be built and manned by 40 men". Can Flüsse mean rafts? Isn't it the plural for river? Just struck me as odd when I listened to it and I had to turn on english subtitles to see what it meant. Also, are these films originally in German? Feels like old translated movies where the lips don't sync up completely correct to the audio.

Edit: This is the whole thing, nothing too exciting really. :lol

uTM3f.png

Edit 2: Maybe it was Flöße, definitely sounded like Flüsse though. Hard to tell a difference from hearing it. :/

Wrayfield

It's just from an email from a girl I'm friends with in germany. I would always bust her about smoking and she said I can stop worrying that she finally stopped smoking and then that was at the end of the sentence so I was curious if it had a meaning like she was being sarcastic or something.

I have another question also, I'm watching Der Zorn Gottes and the one part he says "Wir bauen Flüsse and something else I forget but the english subtitles it says "Rafts will be built and manned by 40 men". Can Flüsse mean rafts? Isn't it the plural for river? Just struck me as odd when I listened to it and I had to turn on english subtitles to see what it meant. Also, are these films originally in German? Feels like old translated movies where the lips don't sync up completely correct to the audio.

Edit: This is the whole thing, nothing too exciting really. :lol

uTM3f.png

Edit 2: Maybe it was Flöße, definitely sounded like Flüsse though. Hard to tell a difference from hearing it. :/

Ah, never mind my assumption then. No idea what that symbol could mean then.

And yeah, rafts = Flöße (singular: Floß). rivers = Flüsse (Fluss). Never seen the film so can't answer your last question.

Was Klaus Kinski partially lame from the war? He seems to really favor his left hand and walks with a little bit of a gimp. I'm just curious since there's no mention of it in the movie and doesn't make sense for him to do it for the roll he was playing.

Hammer24

Banned
Was Klaus Kinski partially lame from the war? He seems to really favor his left hand and walks with a little bit of a gimp. I'm just curious since there's no mention of it in the movie and doesn't make sense for him to do it for the roll he was playing.

He had hypochondriasis - so it was probably just an imagined thing.

He had hypochondriasis - so it was probably just an imagined thing.

Hmm, maybe. Just seems weird he acts like that in the movie when it's never mentioned or part of the plot. I'm interested to see how he is in the other movies now.

Also, how common is it to drop the article in front of the word for saying "of"?
z.B. The movie title is Der Zorn Gottes, how common is it to say something like that over Der Zorn des Gottes? Is it common to drop the des/der depending on the word?

Hammer24

Banned
Also, how common is it to drop the article in front of the word for saying "of"?
z.B. The movie title is Der Zorn Gottes, how common is it to say something like that over Der Zorn des Gottes? Is it common to drop the des/der depending on the word?

Very common, its just more... hmm elegant?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There is a grammatical difference.

"Der Zorn Gottes" ~> Biblical God (the guy with the beard), bad mood, gtfo. (The subject is clearly identifiable)
"Der Zorn des Gottes" ~> Some god dude has a bad day or something, maybe Zeus, maybe Mars, maybe even the Christian God, we don't know who though from the expression in itself. (The subject is unclear, belongs to a certain group of beings)

Edit: It's not clear-cut in every case, in this one, it is though.

There is a grammatical difference.

"Der Zorn Gottes" ~> Biblical God (the guy with the beard), bad mood, gtfo. (The subject is clearly identifiable)
"Der Zorn des Gottes" ~> Some god dude has a bad day or something, maybe Zeus, maybe Mars, maybe even the Christian God, we don't know who though by the expression alone. (The subject is unclear, belongs to a certain group of beings)

So it's only something with god or it works with other words? Like I saw online that children of god is just Kinder Gottes but I know things like Lord of the Rings is Der Herr der Ringe, would you ever say Der Herr Ringe? Or is it only with certain words? Or only with des words since it's more noticeable?

Edit: ah, just saw your edit.

Edit 2: While I'm here is there any order I should watch the movies in? I have Nosferatu, Woyzeck, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, and Mein Liebster Feind

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
[…]but I know things like Lord of the Rings is Der Herr der Ringe, would you ever say Der Herr Ringe?[…]
Well, grammatically, you would actually inverse it in that case (and in a lot of others), so it would be Der Ringe Herr, but in that case, I don't think there is any semantical difference, it just sounds neat and sort of frumpy.

Edit: Not really frumpy, more like from a time before ours. Poets use that inversion, and it's sort of a cliché at this point.

Well, grammatically, you would actually inverse it in that case (and in a lot of others), so it would be Der Ringe Herr, but in that case, I don't think there is any semantical difference, it just sounds neat and sort of frumpy.

Haha, "frumpy". :p Thanks.

Edit: Now why would you inverse that one but not Der Zorn Gottes?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gott is used w/o article. Let's say, you would use Krieger, something more general, then it would be "Der Zorn des Kriegers" or "Des Kriegers Zorn" though the latter is more poetic.

That, and you'd inverse "Der Zorn Gottes" if you wanted to, it'd end up being "Gottes Zorn", but the other variant is obviously more spectacular.

Hieberrr

What is the difference between "im" and "am"?

For example: "Wir essen im Restaurant" and "Wir essen am Tisch"

EDIT: I'm assuming "im" = neutral; "am" = masculine?

EDIT2: Duolingo is helping me learn pretty well right now, but I still can't really form my own sentences. I mean, I can for really simple phrases like, "der Mann ist rechts" or some bull**** like that, but nothing really useful. I guess in due time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom