• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
I still think Britney Jean is cute, if unfinished.

I still use some of Britney Jean, probably as much as I use off of Prism or Beyonce tbh.
6d24cef9.gif

SaintZ

Still use Chillin' With You, Passenger, Tik Tik Boom and Perfume.

Actually, I was having a moment with Perfume earlier today *.*

Cynosure

tonight's People's Choice Awards will be the first time the mouseketeers will be in the same room since the 2003 vmas

the two that aren't broken have regularly been in the same events since then of course

L0E7Yhr.jpg

Majmun

If there's candles near your bed, no need for a spell
Stop acting so scared, just do what I tell
First, both of my legs go back on your head
And whatever you want, yeah baby I'll bet it comes true

iVDNXGltXIvMo.gif

Majmun

BEYONCÉ: The Fastest Album To Sell 1M Digital Copies

You already know that"Beyoncé" is a big hit, but wrap your head around this: "Beyoncé" has sold more copies (1,432,000) in its first four weeks of release than her previous album, "4," has sold since it was released in June 2011 (1,388,000). "4" was a relative disappointment for the superstar. Each of her three previous studio albums topped the 3 million sales mark.

"Beyoncé" has been especially strong in the digital realm. The album tops the 1 million mark in digital sales this week. This is by far the fastest that any album has sold 1M digital copies. The old record was held by Adele's 21, which took 20 weeks to achieve the feat. "Beyoncé" is the ninth album to sell 1 million digital copies. It's the first by an African American or R&B artist.

The Beynami is real. Selling faster than 21
irH3NUaXJkenZ.gif

Yado

If there's candles near your bed, no need for a spell
Stop acting so scared, just do what I tell
First, both of my legs go back on your head
And whatever you want, yeah baby I'll bet it comes true

Stan the brightest jewel in the crown.

iVDNXGltXIvMo.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's much more fun a narrative to declare that Gaga's down some kind of irreparable path of destruction, as if she's blissfully unaware of the impact of her decisions or like she doesn't have any advisors or team telling her the consequences of her actions. People were saying the same damn thing about Beyonce until she pounced back to snatch weaves two years later. The reason I feel like I need to defend the ARTPOP era with some of you girls is because I'm blowing a whistle on the way people like to declare KOs on things that are constantly in motion. People in here practically forgot that the 4 era existed. Now Beyonce's "the queen" again. Suddenly she's no longer "on the outs", nor is she in some kind of "creative bankruptcy" as Roy's insisted she's been in. Things shift in the blink of an eye and it's because people forget. The public doesn't keep tabs on who's been there for them last year and who isn't now. As long as they get songs that they like, they'll reward the artist. If someone isn't willing to meet mainstream halfway by releasing material that they want to hear (i.e. Gaga), they willfully take a smaller piece of the proverbial pie. That's always how it's worked. It's as easy for Gaga to bring herself back to the forefront as it would be to make a song that appeals to the world's most general pop tastes. It's not difficult, it's just not as appealing to some artists as it is to their fans. Is Gaga able to make songs as appealing to the most kinds of people as Katy's? Of course, she built her debut on that talent. Can you honestly say that she's as interested now in doing that as she was then? With the way she talks about her fans and her art and Warhol and pop art? Obviously not. I feel like Gaga's moved on past this narrative but most of us in here haven't.
Eh... all I see is someone who is admittedly very talented, but is flatlining their career by believing their own hype, playing a victim and surrounding themselves with people who kiss their ass. Her performances for this album - iTunes and one or two others aside - have been hilariously low budget and amateur, I saw some interview recently with the BBC where she seemed completely baked out of her mind and was obnoxiously obtuse and aloof.

That said, I'm interested to see what actually happens now after that post she made about people screwing her around, etc. Remains to be seen whether she can get it together and actually come off like the pro she keeps telling people she is. For what it's worth I actually really enjoy ARTPOP, but obviously something pretty major has happened behind the scenes leading up to the release because it's been a complete disaster. The effortlessness of Beyonce's whole release makes Gaga look like a complete amateur - but I guess that fits with her claim about being given no time to execute and plan things. We'll see.

Partition

Banned
The next era of Gaga should be completely different from ARTPOP. Troy really fucked her up so much, I speak directly with someone now who talks to Gaga on the phone every day. Gaga wanted to release Aura, for example, as an iTunes promo single around a month before Applause was out. Troy said no. Gaga then went and leaked the song herself behind his back.

She goes weeks without sleeping regularly, I'm sure there are other drugs going into her body other than marijuana. The hip replacement / combination of pressure from her bad management led to a disaster and mismanaged era. She had one week to plan the Applause and DWUW videos. The events that were planned well in advance, not surprisingly, were the best things we got this era; i.e. iTunes Festival, Jingle Bell Ball, and the artRAVE. You will only begin to see the effects of her new Troy-less management this year.

I'm not going to defend a lot of the music though, because some of it is definitely half-baked and has an unfinished quality; how much of that is to blame on other people idk. She recorded over 100 tracks for ARTPOP, more than any of her previous eras, and she originally just wanted to release an album with around 20-30 songs, but was forced to split it into two parts instead.

Ollie Pooch

The next era of Gaga should be completely different from ARTPOP. Troy really fucked her up so much, I speak directly with someone now who talks to Gaga on the phone every day.
She goes weeks without sleeping regularly, I'm sure there are other drugs going into her body other than marijuana. The hip replacement / combination of pressure from her bad management led to a disaster and mismanaged era. She had one week to plan the Applause and DWUW videos. The events that were planned well in advance, not surprisingly, were the best things we got this era; i.e. iTunes Festival, Jingle Bell Ball, and the artRAVE. You will only begin to see the effects of her new Troy-less management this year.

I'm not going to defend a lot of the music though, because some of it is definitely half-baked and has an unfinished quality; how much of that is to blame on other people idk. She recorded over 100 tracks for ARTPOP, more than any of her previous eras, and she originally just wanted to release an album with around 20-30 songs, but was forced to split it into two parts instead.
Shows how much people depend on a good team, I guess - keen to see what she comes out with.

Aguila

#ICONIC
The next era of Gaga should be completely different from ARTPOP. Troy really fucked her up so much, I speak directly with someone now who talks to Gaga on the phone every day. Gaga wanted to release Aura, for example, as an iTunes promo single around a month before Applause was out. Troy said no. Gaga then went and leaked the song herself behind his back.

Lord. What could have been.
7732f81d.png

She needs to sleep. Sleep is good. It helps you think clearly.
7732f81d.png
7732f81d.png
7732f81d.png
7732f81d.png

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

I'm worried for Gaga but it sounds like she's turning things around. I don't care for most of the music industry, the only 3 things I want are Madonna's new album, whatever Kylie is working on and Gaga's Artpop 2.0. The fact that all 3 *just might* release in 2014 has me extremely excited <3

Partition

Banned
Mau ®;96399974 said:
Whoever said Gaga did not design ARTPOP with radio hits in mind is plain wrong.

"All the songs were designed to be hits, All the songs were designed to be radio-friendly"

Starts at 4:50.

LBR. She wanted to slay like she used to and it just didn't happen. End of.

I think her concept of ARTPOP is pretty much in line with what Soulscribe says. The music is pure pop, meant to be infectious basic radio fodder (although not all songs necessarily work like that), and the music becomes the medium for her art; which is explored through her live interpretations, music videos, and outfits. Basically, Gaga tried using pop as the gateway drug into art. Whether or not the album title suits the music itself is another debate.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Ollie Pooch

So what if she had a week to plan a video, isn't the haus bursting with creativity?
To be fair, she said 'plan and execute' and a week is not much time at all. I get more time than that to create an A0 event poster.

Partition

Banned
So what if she had a week to plan a video, isn't the haus bursting with creativity?

Well yes, judging by how packed the Applause video is and it being one of her best videos in a long time.

However this time around she just wasn't happy with how the DWUW video turned out, hence the delay. It's being reworked to incorporate her "original vision", which they must of not had time for with the first attempt at the video.

royalan

Howling @ your only defence being, 'literally nobody else but me understands why Gaga is the best musician in the world'.

The problem with your line of thinking is that you haven't given up on the dream, that most of us have, that Gaga is a totally purposeful, creatively in-control person who intends everything that she does. Venus doesn't flow? It's because she didn't want it to, not because it's badly written. Aura sounds half-finished? Intentional. No Bad Romance-quality bops on that album? Intentional.

You are deluding yourself, sorry 'bout it.

No, I didn't say that. I said it's like saying that all somebody has to do to have as strong an impact on pop music as MJ is to write songs like Thriller or Billie Jean, ignoring the fact that doing those things is the hard bit, not intending to do them.

This is what I said before; you exist in a world where whatever Gaga does, it must be because she intended it and not because she was trying to do something else but failed (or, I suppose, because of outside meddling). You don't seem to realise that you're putting her in the same league as the greatest artists of all time (in any medium); perhaps even unique among humankind, in their ability to only ever achieve what they set out to do in the first place. Gaga is not that person, sorry.

So you don't think that creative burn-out is real? You think that if an artist is capable of X at some point in their life, then they're capable of it throughout their life? You have a task explaining the history of art, then.

Well, but artists can be (relatively) high-brow and successful. Take Kanye West, for instance. Okay, not enormously high-brow, but moreso than Gaga, and successful to boot.

Except that there's a SCREAMING false dichotomy in suggesting that she either has to make another Just Dance or she has to make half-baked music like ARTPOP. There are plenty of artists making exciting, coherent, finished-sounding, thought-provoking pop music, that don't have to feign the excuse that they are 'making music for themselves instead of the charts' in order to cover their tracks when a wheel comes off the project. And ultimately, if the music was on the level, the inane pseudo-intellectualisms that come out of her mouth wouldn't be as grating (again, look at Kanye&#8212;pretty insufferable, but good enough at what he does that many people can overlook it). But because there is such a disconnect with where she sees herself as an artist, and where, looking at the music, she actually is, she invites the criticism by saying it.

Co-sign this.

One thing I would like to add: we can argue intent until the Britneys come home, but intent doesn't make something good or even well-conceived. So while I think it's a bit silly to try to argue that every single perceived flaw with ARTPOP era was actually an intentional move (rather like a kid in grade school saying that they failed a test on purpose, and then claim to not care as a way to shield themselves from the vulnerable position of admitting that they tried and failed), even if it was so what? She intentionally orchestrated a half-baked, mess of an era. Bravo...

I also want to point out that I'm emphasizing "era" over "album," because ARTPOP the album is a much better album than it gets credit for and deserved to perform better. But Gaga needs to get her shit together. She can continue down this path of being a "real creative artist" and putting out piles of half-baked, "reverse Warholian" shit that nobody gives a damn about. Or she can cut the crap, and work on being a damn good pop star...which is something that is WELL within her power to be.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Didn't happen with her own three last singles, tho

But the Shakira song with absolutely smash, I'm sure. Maybe more than Eminem's Monster.

Not sure where I said every single she releases goes #1 but okay.

Again, not everyone can release a single and it go #1 like Rihanna. Some legends go five years or more without gracing the top of the billboard hot 100.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
tumblr_m6a2f2eroC1qbazcf.jpg

Having a momenT with all these Steed Lord songs/videos tonight.

http://meinmyplace.com/post/26000398288/meinmyplace-interview-steed-lord
How did you decide to converge into a musical performance art project?

We have always done everything around the band ourselves, as far as the artworks, graphics, photography, designing our own merchandise and clothing lines. All the visuals in our live shows and costumes for the stage. And when we started to direct and shoot our own music videos (and short films), we thought it would be best to explain Steed Lord as a musical art project. Since this is a lifestyle to us and 100% DIY—this is just what we do.

What is WeSC and how are you involved?

WeSC is a Swedish clothing and lifestyle company that support the art and music of Steed Lord and many other WeActivists.We have been WeActivists since 2007, which means we are the faces for the brand and we take part in their campaigns. The reason we roll with them, is because we get to be ourselves and do a lot of fun projects. They are fellow Scandinavians, we feel like one big family.

...We designed a small clothing line with H&M for their ‘Divided’ brand, back in 2007. It was a lot of fun, we got to express our colorful side and to our surprise it sold out in over 100 stores, in over 50 countries. It was kinda nuts.

Tell me 3 of your favorite photographers to work with?

Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin, Annie Leibovitz and Terry Richardson.

You collaborate/work a lot with choreographer Sonya Tayeh, how did that come about?

Sonya reached out to us, she wanted to create something for us and it ended up with us all being best friends. We love her passion for art, dance and music, as well her drive and enthusiasm. We certainly connect on an emotional and artistic level, so we will be working closely together in the future. Sonya is a part of the Steed fam now.

Living their own personal ARTPOP life since 2006 &#12504;&#65288;´&#65359;&#65344;&#65289;&#12504;

I know this moment will be over
Tomorrow comes when we are sober
Will we feel the same or let it be
Will you be there
The night is almost getting over
And I don't want us to turn colder
I want to wake up with you next to me
Will you be there

2qvt73t.gif

The drunken one night stand anthem of our generation.

But sis, have you heard the original mix?

I use. Still absolutely love the album mix tho.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom