• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont shade, I state

but yes I did state it was awful, maybe next time this Katniss girl
wont be a reductive version of Bella with a bow to differentiate, third time is the charm right?
i5YBFusJuwWrN.gif

Did...did you just say that Katniss is worse than Bella?

I..I feel really sorry for you.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I dont shade, I state

wont be a reductive version of Bella with a bow to differentiate, third time is the charm right?
i5YBFusJuwWrN.gif

There is just tew much wrong with all this.

But speaking of young adult fiction that doesn't suck, y'all should read the Divergent trilogy and perch for ha movie adaptations.

The Hunger Games could never.

tumblr_inline_myx4ohYSVT1ro37cg.gif

Fey

Banned
Elastic Heart was the only good thing to come out of Catching Boredom
its soundtrack and its compilation of inane scenes

I dont shade, I state

finally someone has stated the truthT about catching shit.

rewrite twilight with all the same bland characters, zero character development, plot holes, and awful plot, and dump it into a dystopian future and voila.

Mumei

My new project is listening to as many famous divas' albums as I can. In the past week or so I finished listening to all of these women's entire discographies:
- Shaka Khan
- Cher (this one was a doozy)
- Mariah Carey (hi Mumei)
- Whitney Houston
- Shakira
- Janet Jackson

I guess you'll see why soon. lol

You thought Cher was a doozy? Streisand has 8 more studio albums, and 12 more soundtrack albums.

Listen to Streisand
It's 'Chaka'
And Ella

You thought Cher was a doozy? Streisand has 8 more studio albums, and 12 more soundtrack albums.

Listen to Streisand
It's 'Chaka'
And Ella

Chaka*, my bad :p

Currently listening to Barbra actually, and being enchanted *.*

Currently on my queue:
- Barbra Streisand
- Bette Midler
- Alicia Keys
- Annie Lennox

And Ella Fitzgerald probably won't make the cut tbh, though I've listened to a lot of her work.

Nemesis_

finally someone has stated the truthT about catching shit.

rewrite twilight with all the same bland characters, zero character development, plot holes, and awful plot, and dump it into a dystopian future and voila.

The films were fun to watch but I agree the writing is really fucking dumb

ibnSYyYf19mKC0.gif

Mumei

Chaka*, my bad :p

Currently listening to Barbra actually, and being enchanted *.*

Currently on my queue:
- Barbra Streisand
- Bette Midler
- Alicia Keys
- Annie Lennox

And Ella Fitzgerald probably won't make the cut tbh, though I've listened to a lot of her work.

Why is Alicia Keys on your list? Dump her and replace with Judy Garland (please include live albums) and Donna Summer.

Why is Alicia Keys on your list? Dump her and replace with Judy Garland (please include live albums) and Donna Summer.

I wanna write up a "top 40 all-time women of music" list but I'm insisting on listening through everyone's portfolios first. I'm doing it for people who I've listened to quite a bit as well, and that includes Donna (who I looooove, even the later stuff). It's easier to size everyone up more objectively if I give everyone an even go.

Also, I'm falling for a certain Mariah album, I won't say which though yet :p

Mumei

I wanna write up a "top 40 all-time women of music" list but I'm insisting on listening through everyone's portfolios first. I'm doing it for people who I've listened to quite a bit as well, and that includes Donna (who I looooove, even the later stuff). It's easier to size everyone up more objectively if I give everyone an even go.

Also, I'm falling for a certain Mariah album, I won't say which though yet :p

What are your criteria? And forty? I hope you're including Lara Fabian.

You are including The Remixes on your list of Mariah albums to listen to, yes?

What are your criteria? And forty? I hope you're including Lara Fabian.

You are including The Remixes on your list of Mariah albums to listen to, yes?

No remixes! Studio releases only.

Criteria:
- Smart Careering: Who has managed to stay at the forefront of relevance, or has maintained a sense of quality, integrity and consistency throughout? Note: The key here isn't longevity, but a maintenance of quality.
- Musical/Pop Culture Influence: Whose existence matters most to music as we know it to be today, or to pop culture in general?
- Genuine Talent: Who is the most irreplaceable?
- Uniqueness and Iconic Flair: Who most deserves to be recognized through history as someone who's not just talented, but encompasses all the best and most special qualities when evaluating an artist in music?
- The Material: Whose portfolio of songs matter most when looking at music from space, and whose portfolios have the right balance of breadth and influence?
- Potential For Further Influence (in the case of newer artists): It's difficult to compare someone like Katy Perry to someone like Cyndi Lauper, though in knowing what we know of them now, it's not difficult to surmise where their ambition and achievements so far can take them further down the road. Or in the case of some other contemporaries, their achievements have already landed them high enough on the list to be considered along the list of all-time greats.

I'm considering about 20 contemporary acts and 40 legacy acts, and once I listen through the rest of their portfolios (I'm a bit more than halfway through) I'll grade them across the criteria and figure out a ranking.

If anyone would like to PM me considerations (assuming they're not already on my list) by all means do it, I've been having a blast listening to all this music. :)

Mumei

No remixes! Studio releases only.

Boo.

Mariah's remixes weren't just "take the normal track, put some dance-y background music on it, release"; they had completely different arrangements and new vocals recorded. Collectively, they are much a part of her studio work as any individual album would be.

Listen to them, even if you aren't counting them~

I'm considering about 20 contemporary acts and 40 legacy acts, and once I listen through the rest of their portfolios (I'm a bit more than halfway through) I'll grade them across the criteria and figure out a ranking.

If anyone would like to PM me considerations (assuming they're not already on my list) by all means do it, I've been having a blast listening to all this music. :)

Interesting list of criteria. I have no idea how you are going to grade these but Streisand is basically guaranteed top 3 if you're even slightly competent.

No pressure

Boo.

Mariah's remixes weren't just "take the normal track, put some dance-y background music on it, release"; they had completely different arrangements and new vocals recorded. Collectively, they are much a part of her studio work as any individual album would be.

Listen to them, even if you aren't counting them~

Interesting list of criteria. I have no idea how you are going to grade these but Streisand is basically guaranteed top 3 if you're even slightly competent.

No pressure

She was my number 1 until recently, kii

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Soulsis: I hope Kate Bush is on your itinerary

[edit] o and if you're including women in groups, Debbie Harry

Mumei

Well one has the better porfolio (to me, don't kill me) and one's just too iconic/impactful to not reward the top spot.

:3

Well, I hope Aretha ranks highly, as well.

And I would be remiss if I didn't bug you about listening to Dusty Springfield.

Not PRISM selling twice as much as ARTPOP even though it was released earlier :ahh:

Who's surprised anymore? The audience Gaga's catering to is much smaller than Katy's. 15 year old girls will always buy more records than 19 year old gays. Beyonce's got enough appeal across most ages to trump them both though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How is Little Mix in the top 10 of US iTunes??

probably because Move shits and slays lives and there are literally no other girl band competitors in sighT
Who's surprised anymore? The audience Gaga's catering to is much smaller than Katy's. 15 year old girls will always buy more records than 19 year old gays. Beyonce's got enough appeal across most ages to trump them both though.
so how come BTW has basically kept pace with Teenage Dream?

Partition

Banned
probably because Move shits and slays lives and there are literally no other girl band competitors in sighT

so how come BTW has basically kept pace with Teenage Dream?

BTW was front loaded because Gaga had yet to completely alienate the GP, which happened during that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom