• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Ranger X

Ranger X said:
Any chances for an english PC version or something? Maybe DS?

I'd really like to play this (I tried it on a friend's Iphone and it's fantastic) but there's no fucking way I am buying a cellphone for this.

for the new page...

Gin

bought this game for 1.00 on android

holy shit - I was playing this on the subway - i almost missed my stop ! :D

very fun game

JSR

Picked up this game for 50% on the Android marketplace. I can't believe how addicting it is. So much fun. I also love all the little name changes they've included (Ms. Hack-Man, anyone?).

mj1108

Bought this awhile back for the iPod/iPad and then bought the Android version. Been mostly playing it (99% of the time) on my iPad. :lol

Finally got the hardware engineer last night, created my console and my first game for my console (Plaything). Somehow I've sold 12 million units of the console yet my first game for the system sold 17 million copies. :lol

Also, my company name is Actinovision.

Currently on Year 40.

EDIT: Just unlocked the "Motion" type of game to create. Waggle/Kinect/Move games here we come. :lol

jvalioli said:
How many people can you have on your team at a time at the max stage?

I'm in the office with 11 people right now. Not sure if that's the highest or not... there's been no more options to move.

parasight

Isn't it a bit weird that you can sell more copies of a game on your console than consoles sold to the market? I just sold 16 million copies of my latest game on my own console and I only sold 12 million consoles. :lol

EDIT: Didn't even notice the post above me!

Blablurn

parasight said:
Isn't it a bit weird that you can sell more copies of a game on your console than consoles sold to the market? I just sold 16 million copies of my latest game on my own console and I only sold 12 million consoles. :lol

EDIT: Didn't even notice the post above me!

extreme-double-dipping.

mj1108

One thing that I just noticed that is disappointing is that you cannot create both a console and a handheld. If you have one and want to develop another system, the system created will get discontinued.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Picked this up during it's .79€ sale and holy shit this is addicting! It's quickly become my most played game on iPhone. :D !

Are there any other offices beyond the 8-man one? I'm raking in the millions (~500), on year 27 and counting but with no space to expand. :(

Also have a Hacker turned everything lvl5 turned Hardware Eng. with a salary of 10 million which is rather hilarious.

Biggest hit being Ravenous Romp, a Romance Sim RPG that sold 40 million units :lol

kinggroin

Banned
Tunesmith said:
Picked this up during it's .79€ sale and holy shit this is addicting! It's quickly become my most played game on iPhone. :D !

Are there any other offices beyond the 8-man one? I'm raking in the millions (~500), on year 27 and counting but with no space to expand. :(

Also have a Hacker turned everything lvl5 turned Hardware Eng. with a salary of 10 million which is rather hilarious.

Biggest hit being Ravenous Romp, a Romance Sim RPG that sold 40 million units :lol

Lol, my best seller was the eigth installment of my Call of Duty rip off, Opus Magnum :lol

26 million

My best seller was game #458, 61,701,581 units!

If i recall correctly it was a pirate action RPG :lol

Edit: nope just checked - motion golf game. :lol

Does this game go on sale often? I played the demo and it's awesome, but I don't want to lose out on a dollar or two (I'm a frugile sonofabitch).

Late to the party but still enjoy this awesome game... I finish my first run (like a small company with some small hit on portable market). Now i want to restart but the game let me start only a game+ where my stats still the same of my previous game, this make my second playtrough much more easy. I don' want that.

Nobody knows how i can reset my game's value?

Tnx

My best selling game to date was Pocket Train 2 (not a real sequel) with almost 3k copies sold

I am super LTTP on this, but I bought this last night and played from like 8PM till 3AM. Never won Game of the Year/Grand Prize, but won a ton of technical awards and pushed 2 million in sales in the first week on a Pirate Sim, which is fine for me for now. :)

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just discovered this. So awesome. My studio (Circle Soft) has a series of mini-skirt simulation games that consistently sell over 15 million. Right now, I'm in a battle for market domination with my console (the GAFbox).

My girlfriend loves games like Roller Coaster Tycoon and Sim City, and I think she'd be really into this. Is there an English translation, or a patch, of the PC version?

VAIL

I just picked this up 2bux and change on the android market today, and I haven't been able to put it down, just made my first million selling game "loversluv"

Damn, best money spent on a game in a while...

S. L.

lttp and all, but i just got the android version, because the pic looked so good in the marked. and it's SUPER good!

webrunner

Game Dev Story is great because it's one of the few actually worthwhile games that work well on low-end QVGA phones like the Motorola Spice.

It's also great because it is great.

Ranger X

I am SO addicted to this game right now...

But I have a question for you experts!!

How do you get an hardware engineer? I have a writer, a sound engineer, a designer, a coder, a producer and a director. They are all level 5. Everytime I use the "change job" item, I never get to have "hardware engineer" in the list. When I try to hire, there are never any hardware engineer either...

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Ranger X said:
I am SO addicted to this game right now...

But I have a question for you experts!!

How do you get an hardware engineer? I have a writer, a sound engineer, a designer, a coder, a producer and a director. They are all level 5. Everytime I use the "change job" item, I never get to have "hardware engineer" in the list. When I try to hire, there are never any hardware engineer either...

You have to level up a character in every skill/job.

Ranger X

dogmaan said:
You have to level up a character in every skill/job.

oh snap. I see. This is not the way I saw it at first. I was keeping my research points more for boosting than leveling. Looks like leveling and develloping games in "research" mode is a must!

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Ranger X said:
oh snap. I see. This is not the way I saw it at first. I was keeping my research points more for boosting than leveling. Looks like leveling and develloping games in "research" mode is a must!

Yeah I did that too.

Be warned though, if I remember correctly the employees salary increases exponentially with each skill, until it hits around £30mil per Annum.

Kaizen

hot springs story is now available in english (appstore, dunno about android)! I'm going to try it now. hope it's as good as game dev story

clockpunk

Kaizen said:
hot springs story is now available in english (appstore, dunno about android)! I'm going to try it now. hope it's as good as game dev story

I've been playing it for the past couple of days - its fun, but a lot easier than Game Dev Story - it seems as though you'll make oney whatever decision you make... :-/ It does seem very strange to me that the second title they release is a translation of something so culturally-specific to Japan, but... well, I bought it mainly to support them, in the hope we'll see translations of more of their titles. It won't sell anywhere near as many copies though, especially at the price they are charging.

It obviously lacks the whole meta- aspect that makes GDS so much fun, and I only wish they had perhaps released Game Shop Story, which seems to be a crossover mechanics-wise of the two, so far as I can tell, first. They have said that it is coming, but only with that ever-s0-vague 'soon'...

I gave it a spin on Android and it's a fun diversion, but I'd have to say that for those who really enjoyed this, give Gamebiz 3 a whirl - http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/index.asp?visnu=GB3.htm

It's the football manager of game design simulations! You get to write engines and design games for *real* consoles and can actually change the fate of them based on your games... I made the Vectrex the top selling console of it's generation thanks to my wireframe beat em up series :)

When you've built your company up enough, it's also possible to move onto hardware, with some fantastic mini games where you actually build the circuit boards, add processors, blitters, gpus ram etc and try to work out a design that doesn't overheat and remains optimal.

If you enjoyed game dev story, but want something with a bit more meat on the bones that only a game geek would appreciate, you really owe it to yourselves to give it a shot - you can also download gamebiz 2 for free if you want a sample before jumping in with both feet....

Holy fuckinggodamnshit is this game amazing. I'm so happy I took a chance and tried the lite verison after seeing it in a business sim game rec thread. I blew through the demo so quickly and kept dreading when the time limit was going to run out. Now this is an indie game I can get behind. Reminds of games like Lemonae Stand that I played back on the Apple IIe as a kid. I'm also impressed witu just how easy it is to get the basics down.

JWong

Banned
Soooo... Game Dev Story 2 is how much better?

I heard it's not being made for Android, but it'll be inevitable.

And who are Kairosoft? A Japanese game dev specifically developing for mobiles?

Edit: I guess Game Dev Story 2 isn't out yet from what I can search for...

I can't believe I actually played a cell phone game for six straights hours yesterday. Man this game is grear. I still need to figure out how to get a hardware engineer though. I already have everyone at level 5.

Garou

Version 1.1 is out adding support for GameCenter which means Achievements
Time for another run I guess.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hot Springs Story is on sale in the Android Market for $2.50 today. I didn't even know it was available in English yet, but there it was!

Was thinking of making a new thread, but I figured updating this would hit more people that have the thread subscribed. May still make one in a bit.

satori

I played the hell out of Game dev story. Now I am reallly addicted to Hot Spring story. It is a lot more interactive, but just as addicting. It definitely have a "sim" feel to it, in that you get to build and move rooms around. For me the best things are unlocking more buildings, and just working on different layouts.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm pretty anti cellphone game... but had to download this for my Android and yeah. I'm pretty damn hooked! Although it becomes too easy at the later stages of the game... and there are lots of little niggling issues I have with it (why can I only have 14 letters per game name? Why does it only save the stats of the first 32 games I make?). I could see an improved version of this game - being able to design company logos, more genre selections, more challenges popping up (including genre/popularity shifting, headhunters trying to steal your workers, workers rebelling and going on strike), etc.

Top Bottom