• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developer Choice Awards (GDC) nominees announced

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.gdconf.com/news/fallout_4_bloodborne_and_mgs_v.html

GDC said:
Game of the Year
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
The Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED / CD Projekt)
Metal Gear Solid V (Kojima Productions / Konami)
Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment)
Rocket League (Psyonix)

Honorable Mentions: Her Story (Sam Barlow), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Undertale (Toby Fox), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix)

Innovation Award
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo)
Undertale (Toby Fox)
Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo)
The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Honorable Mentions: Rocket League (Psyonix), Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games) Cibele (Star Maid Games), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), Metal Gear Solid V (Kojima Productions / Konami)

Best Debut
Studio Wildcard (ARK: Survival Evolved)
Toby Fox (Undertale)
Moon Studios (Ori and the Blind Forest)
Moppin (Downwell)
Steel Crate Games (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes)

Honorable Mentions: Asteroid Base (Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime), Question (The Magic Circle), Thomas Happ (Axiom Verge), Dinosaur Polo Club (Mini Metro), MidBoss (Read Only Memories)

Best Design
Rocket League (Psyonix)
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios/ Bethesda Softworks)

Honorable Mentions: Her Story (Sam Barlow), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Undertale (Toby Fox), The Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED / CD Projekt), Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)

Best Handheld/Mobile Game
Lara Croft: GO (Square Enix Montréal / Square Enix)
Fallout Shelter (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
Downwell (Moppin / Devolver Digital)
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
AlphaBear (Spry Fox)

Honorable Mentions: Prune (Joel McDonald), The Room Three (Fireproof Games), Subterfuge (Ron Carmel and Noel Llopis), Pac-Man 256 (Hipster Whale and 3 Sprockets / BANDAI NAMCO), Sage Solitaire (Zach Gage), SteamWorld Heist (Image and Form), You Must Build a Boat (EightyEight Games)

Best Visual Art
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
Star Wars Battlefront (DICE / Electronic Arts)

Honorable Mentions: Metal Gear Solid V (Kojima Productions / Konami), Rise of the Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix), Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment), The Order: 1886 (Ready at Dawn / Sony Computer Entertainment), Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment), Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)

Best Narrative
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix)
Undertale (Toby Fox)
The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Honorable Mentions: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment), Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks), Until Dawn (Supermassive Games / Sony Computer Entertainment), Cibele (Star Maid Games), Soma (Frictional Games)

Best Audio
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)

Honorable Mentions: Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks), The Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED / CD Projekt), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), SOMA (Frictional Games), Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo)

Best Technology
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
Just Cause 3 (Avalanche Studios / Square Enix)

Honorable Mentions: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix), Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Halo 5: Guardians (343 Industries / Microsoft Studios)

redcrayon

I don't really see how the console categories are dominated by huge productions, but the mobile/handheld category doesn't even shortlist a game as technically proficient as Monster Hunter 4. Or any of the other portable titles for that matter.

Not really sure Fallout 4 belongs in any category (and I like the game), but I am really glad they seperated out GOTY and New Innovative Game, wish more GOTY awards would do that.

wiibomb

I'm expecting some friction over the Handheld/Mobile category given it consists of 12 mobile games.

I going to mention this.

how the hell.. no 3DS games?? I mean, MH4U production values are huge, more than the mobile games listed, I wonder why the decision to not chose any 3DS game

Arnie7

Banned
I may hate The Order 1886 but it was robbed in Best Visuals and Technology. No game looks this good on console and dare I say PC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why do GOTYs always read more like popularity contests than anything? I mean the answer is obvious, but still. Fallout 4 has no reason to be a GOTY.

TheJoRu

The Witcher 3 deserves all the wins in the categories it is nominated in (I'd be fine with it not winning Visual Design, that's a tough category).

Fallout 4 receiving that many heavy nominations is baffling. It being nominated for "Best Technology" is downright insulting (where is The Order 1886?).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I cant believe Soma didnt get on for narrative.
SOMA hasn't moved a tremendously huge number of copies and this is a mass developer vote.

I going to mention this.

how the hell.. no 3DS games?? I mean, MH4U production values are huge, more than the mobile games listed, I wonder why the decision to not chose any 3DS game
It's essentially an industry poll on what they thought the best games were, so if not many of them were playing 3DS games, they presumably wouldn't vote for them.

Isn't Steamworld Heist only on 3DS for now?
You are correct. I thought it was out on mobile already for some reason.

Mario Maker for the innovation award? I haven't played it but isn't it just build your level type of game? Is there something else I missed?

jmizzal

Why does Xenoblade X never get nominated for anything? Did none of these people play it or is it gonna go with games for next year

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't handle Fallout 4 being in the "Best Technology" category.

The Witcher 3 deserves all the wins in the categories it is nominated in (I'd be fine with it not winning Visual Design, that's a tough category).

Fallout 4 receiving that many heavy nominations is baffling. It being nominated for "Best Technology" is downright insulting (where is The Order 1886?).

Developers are likely to vote on more than visual technology. The primary selling point of their engine is data management, which isn't a great consumer facing point, but could impress industry veterans.

Stiler

Man, I don't get any of these awards shows not even giving Soma a nomination.

The game was one of the best games this year and had such a thought provoking and gripping storyline.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mario Maker in the innovation award?!?!? Really?!?!??

I'm expecting some friction over the Handheld/Mobile category given it consists of 12 mobile games.

For a good reason, i mean are we really ignoring an entire year of 3ds and vita games?

Prompto

Banned
Why do GOTYs always read more like popularity contests than anything? I mean the answer is obvious, but still. Fallout 4 has no reason to be a GOTY.
If it were a popularity contest, the nominees for game of the year would be Black Ops 3, Star Wars Battlefront, Batman Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, and Madden.

I agree that fallout 4 really shouldn't be nominated for GOTY though.

Best Design:
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Da fuck?

Because games only get reconnizged by quantity of sales not quality.

Look at handheld as it's missing MH4U or but microstransaction f2p games are nominated.

Best Technology:
Fallout 4
Just Cause 3

I hope they mean technical mess

fallout 4 doesn't deserve any nominations honestly speaking, its such a safe sequel that its sad. Its like it got those nominations just because of its name.

Why does Xenoblade X never get nominated for anything? Did none of these people play it or is it gonna go with games for next year

The nomination process started mid-December when Xenoblade X had only been out in English for a week or so. It's the big reason why I didn't nominate anything - several of the games I expect will be my favorites of 2015 came out super late in the year (Xenoblade X, Summon Night 5, Trails of Cold Steel) so I haven't had time to evaluate them properly.

Richie

Did me good to see all those Splatoon nominations/honorific mentions; especially being nominated for audio.

wiibomb

It's essentially an industry poll on what they thought the best games were, so if not many of them were playing 3DS games, they presumably wouldn't vote for them.

it essentially shows that the voters don't play dedicated handhelds anymore, I wonder where the industry is going towards with these declines.

Mario Maker for the innovation award? I haven't played it but isn't it just build your level type of game? Is there something else I missed?

the most difficult part in programming is the planning phase, and MM has an incredible design to make a designing process fun that shows the good planning they had, that alone is a mountain of innovation.

December release for such a huge game is a tough ask, especially with all of the other games to check out or get caught up on. I haven't even started it yet.

halfbeast

Banned
yeah, with all those 500 hour open world games last year, I highly doubt anyone finished any of those nominations, so it's more of a "I played this game for a couple of hours and it didn't annoy me"-award.

tuxfool

Banned
Developers are likely to vote on more than visual technology. The primary selling point of their engine is data management, which isn't a great consumer facing point, but could impress industry veterans.

Regardless of whether it looks good or bad, it seems to be very much the same engine as before. I could definitely see it winning at any time in the last 10 years, not any more.

Top Bottom