• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developer Choice Awards (GDC) nominees announced

PaulBizkit

2013 : GTA V vs Last Of Us

2014 : nothing, it was a bad year except for Bravely Default.

2015 : The Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne

It sucks Life Is Strange got so few nominations. I hope it wins "Best Narrative".

JCX

I don't find Mario Maker very innovated. I was more impressed by its execution of something thats been around for a while.

Lack of dedicated handheld games is surprising only for MH4, but overall a weak year for Vita/3DS.

redcrayon

There are no dedicated handheld exclusive games in the mobile/handheld category. wow
I'm still surprised that award organisers tend to lump all mobile and portable games into one category regardless. Considering that a handful of AAA games from a relatively small number of released titles end up getting shortlisted multiple times across the half a dozen awards that they split between them, it just seems odd to bundle a huge chunk of the industry into one catch-all bucket when selecting categories.

Iack of dedicated handheld games is surprising only for MH4, but overall a weak year for Vita/3DS.
I agree it was a weak year, but Steamworld Heist deserves its honourable mention. I'm just surprised that it made it in due to a) it's December release and b) the omission of MH4. Maybe devs work so hard they don't have time to hunt monsters :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm still surprised that award organisers tend to lump all mobile and portable games into one category regardless. Considering that a handful of AAA games from a relatively small number of released titles end up getting shortlisted multiple times across the half a dozen awards that they split between them, it just seems odd to bundle a huge chunk of the industry into one catch-all bucket when selecting categories.
They're still eligible for other categories, like Her Story appears in several other categories, but the award exists to highlight portable gaming that might not otherwise get recognized without going down to the platform level.

Independent game award categories were really common before they started getting game of the year nominations.

cyress8

Banned
Best Technology: Fallout 4

Radiant AI doing work!

I'm sitting here thinking what exactly have they done that was not already in their previous games. I seriously can't think of anything other than the prettified graphics and better shooting, which other games have done better.

Other than that, the lists look pretty much on point for this year.

What exactly would you nominate this year for portable games though? Nintendo had a rough year on the 3DS with their games bombing (and if nobody plays a game, nobody's voting for it), being geared for super-casual audiences, or just not reviewing well. Monster Hunter has limited appeal in the West outside of their diehard fanbase. Sony didn't release much of anything other than Oreshika which again is super niche. And as far as 3rd party portable support goes, you're pretty much looking at low-budget JRPGs, visual novels, and Japanese music games.

Lord Phol

Maybe it means like best in game technology, as in there's a robot butler in the game so that's like a pretty cool piece of technology. I want a robot butler.

Hahha this made me laugh out loud for some reason. But yeah honestly can't agree at all with the fallout 4 nominees for these categories.
Glad to see some Bloodborne love though!

Mory Dunz

Thought Xenoblade would get a mention in best visual art over splatoon, but I guess I can see it

What exactly would you nominate this year for portable games though? Nintendo had a rough year on the 3DS with their games bombing (and if nobody plays a game, nobody's voting for it), being geared for super-casual audiences, or just not reviewing well. Monster Hunter has limited appeal in the West outside of their diehard fanbase. Sony didn't release much of anything other than Oreshika which again is super niche. And as far as 3rd party portable support goes, you're pretty much looking at low-budget JRPGs, visual novels, and Japanese music games.

Majoras Mask. Or monster hunter? It sold enough I suppose

silva1991

It sucks Life Is Strange got so few nominations. I hope it wins "Best Narrative".

If you want to mention one Nintendo game then mention the actual great one and not a decent one with bad design decisions Bayonetta 2

or is the Wii U that irrelevant because of it's sales ? :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Bayonetta 2 vs. Destiny (literally and figuratively)

SENRAN KAGURA 2

Majoras Mask. Or monster hunter? It sold enough I suppose

Neither of those are all-new games though. Majora's Mask is an updated port & Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an enhanced version of a game that came out a couple years ago. Even if both games are great, they're not the kind of things that developers are likely to nominate.

Jb

SOMA is an "honorable mention" for best narrative?

1411376566585i5uj5.gif

Are voters sent copies of the games or is this basically which games did most of them play?

Mory Dunz

Neither of those are all-new games though. Majora's Mask is an updated port & Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an enhanced version of a game that came out a couple years ago. Ever if both games are great, they're not the kind of things that developers are likely to nominate.

MH4U was Monster Hunter 4's first appearance in the west.

And does it matter if MM3D is a port/remake/update? It's not like OG MM came out in the past couple of years, or even decade.

I mean, we're talking about the best handheld category, not GOTY. One or both of them should be on the list imo. Or at least honorable mention

Malus

the most difficult part in programming is the planning phase, and MM has an incredible design to make a designing process fun that shows the good planning they had, that alone is a mountain of innovation.

I think that's more to do with mario games themselves being fun, familiar and accessible/easy to grasp.

Violet_0

Banned
Tales of the Borderlands (which got completely snubbed, again) should have gotten a Best Narrative nomination. Win the category too, by the look of it

MH4U was Monster Hunter 4's first appearance in the west.

And does it matter if MM3D is a port/remake/update? It's not like OG MM came out in the past couple of years, or even decade.

I mean, we're talking about the best handheld category, not GOTY. One or both of them should be on the list imo. Or at least honorable mention

Ah, I didn't realize the earlier version wasn't in English. Still the point remains - Monster Hunter is a very insular series (albeit one that's becoming more popular) and either you love it or you're completely indifferent. It's like Path of Exile on Neogaf - super popular free Action/RPG on PC that's constantly getting major updates but every dedicated Neogaf thread I've seen on the game dies quickly.

Your average Western dev just doesn't care much about portable gaming outside of mobile.

NSESN

Neither of those are all-new games though. Majora's Mask is an updated port & Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an enhanced version of a game that came out a couple years ago. Even if both games are great, they're not the kind of things that developers are likely to nominate.

MH4 was never released in the west

I really hope Moon Studios takes it home for "Best Debut." The amount of "total package" they put into Ori & the Blind Forest is just phenomenal for a first game.

Horp

Im ok with anything winning anything as long as Fallout 4 wins nothing. It annoys me a ton that it's even nominated.

Aaron D.

The industry sure loves to suck on bethesda's teet.

I think it's because they respect the complexity under the hood.

They likely have a deeper understanding of the actual coding process than your random, anti-Bethesda "Git Gud" drive-by sentiments from random armchair developers on message boards.

It boggles my mind how few nominations (let alone awards) SteamWorld Heist got this year in the Best Handheld Game category. Such an amazing game!
Fallout Shelter but no SteamWorld Heist? Wow...

Really happy to see Splatoon nominated for Innovation, Design and Visual Art!

Raven117

Can't say I can argue with any of that. GDC knows whats up. (Who knew?!)

Except Fallout 4 in tech. Im sure CDProjeckRed was laughing pretty hard at that.

Dot-N-Run

Nice to see that Necrodancer is in the running for Best Audio. The soundtrack and rhythm-based gameplay made it one of my favourites of the last year. I really found the Life is Strange soundtrack worked well as well, so I am not surprised that it at least got an honourable mention in this category.

I'm surprised at lack of 3DS/Vita games though. I figured MH4 would get some recognition, but I also expected to see Code Name S.T.E.A.M and P4: Dancing All Night in the Best Handheld/Mobile Game category. S.T.E.A.M. is a fun game, although from what I understand it didn't really set any sales charts on fire. Maybe that is why it isn't on the list, just the fact that nobody played it.

fhqwhgads

Undertale finally gets nominated for a best story award.
Kind of weird it didn't even get a mention in best audio though.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wow. That GOTY category is super conservative. I honestly can't see how Super Mario Maker has less merit for being in that category than Rocket League or Bloodborne. Not saying that they are bad games, but, man... SMM is absolutely amazing from top to bottom.

I'm assuming best audio includes the music of a game as well? Not seeing Undertale there is ridiculous, it's soundtrack is amazing. Also lol at Fallout 4 in technology. Like many people here said that game deserves to win nothing. Same old stale, regurgitated shit, especially when compared to all the other awesome open world titles we had this year.

dzelly

I attended the GDCA two years ago, and it felt kind of scummy. It was the year that Papers, Please won like everything at the IGFs. Honestly, I can't really explain why I felt it, but I did. I left that night with kind of a jaded perspective on game awards.

While I'm disappointed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture isn't in the main running for best narrative, I'm tremendously pleased it's in for audio.

gamerMan

Mario Maker for the innovation award? I haven't played it but isn't it just build your level type of game? Is there something else I missed?

I was thinking the same until I played it. I can't stop messing with it now. I say I'll play for a few minutes and end up spending the whole day with it.

What other type of piece of software is anything like Mario Maker? It is the best level design creation software I have ever come across. Hands down. I have never seen a level design tool where you can draw out the level and hit play instantly.

Nintendo makes it look so easy and effortless that it is easy to take it for granted. That is until you mess with another level designer. If only making games were that easy. I can just imagine the amount of thought Nintendo put into it. It's by far the most innovative piece of software Nintendo has come out with in the last 10 years.

SJRB

Gold Member
Some of these MGSV nominations are bizarre to say the least.

I hope Bloodborne at least takes best visual art.

Regiruler

Isn't Steamworld Heist only on 3DS for now?

Only honorable mention and IIRC it's getting ported to Wii U (or at least elsewhere).

S.T.E.A.M. should have been on it but it's too divisive (much like Kid Icarus was). I would have actually expected Box Boy on the list given that the general public seemed to have really liked it.

ReaperXL7

I think it's because they respect the complexity under the hood.

They likely have a deeper understanding of the actual coding process than your random, anti-Bethesda "Git Gud" drive-by sentiments from random armchair developers on message boards.

I think that has a lot to do with it, these guys/gals are not voting for a lot of the same reasons that your average gamer or gaffer would.Whenever you see anyone on Gaf talk about Bethsoft and their engine it's almost always completely negative but every time I see a developer talk about it they seem impressed with what Bethesda is able to achieve especially when your talking about scale and the possibility space they create in their games.

I actually recently heard an interview with Feargus Urquhart from Obsidian on the game informer podcast and from a technical perspective he seemed pretty positive about Bethesda toolset and also had the opinion that one of the reasons they keep it going is because not only is it great for them since they know it so well but also because they want to keep modding open to as many of their fans as possible.

Makes sense to me that Developers are going to pick their choices for things that the average gamer just wouldn't see or understand.

Top Bottom