• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Director Faceoff, Round Two: Hideki Kamiya vs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Kamiya

The only Itsuno games I've played are Power Stone 2, DMC3, DMC4, and Dragon's Dogma. The first 3 were great, but I really didn't like DD.

Lernaean

Banned
The number of Itsuno supporters is making me smile a bit. I KNEW he was a good follow up to Kamiya vs Miami.

Me too. I voted for Kamiya because i like his overall contribution more, in a way, i did my part.
But Itsuno is also responsible for many of my favorites and kinda overlooked.
I'd be glad if, even against my vote, he wins this one.

NotLiquid

On one hand, Itsuno made the game that I wouldn't hesitate saying has the best action game play of all time. Devil May Cry 4 was a fresh evolution to the series' staples that refined what was in DMC3 to create one of the pinnacles of action games.

On the other hand, that game had terrible design and Kamiya's games are usually consistent all the way through, with spectacular game play that's still there to set the bar in its own way. It also helps that he made Viewtiful Joe, which is my favorite game of all time. Point goes to him.

KidB

Itsuno has directed some great games, but Kamiya's output is simply incredible.

My vote goes to Kamiya, definitely!

I haven't yet played Dragon's Dogma, but Devil May Cry 3 (while pretty great) is very flawed, and I don't think Devil May Cry 4 is quite on the level of Kamiya's best work, although it's not too far behind at least (don't feel like I can totally judge that game yet). I'd have to go with Kamiya.

BadWolf

Devil May Cry 3? Devil May Cry 4? Dragon's Dogma? Rival Schools? Power Stone? Capcom vs. SNK 1 and 2?

Itsuno by a mile.

Steez

Easily Kamiya. Dude is responsible for some of the greatest games ever made.

And hell, I kinda don't even care for most of Itsuno's catalog to be honest. Well, except for DMC.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Itsuno.

I love Kamiya, but his stuff can get a bit samey at times with Okami maybe his biggest excursion from his usual stuff.

Itsuno meanwhile has stuff ranging from Powerstone, to perfecting DMC, to the amazing Dragon's Dogma and dabbling in vastly different genres with Auto Modellista and One Piece Mansion.

Ushiwaka

OP why do you do this.

DMC3, Bayonetta and Okami are my top 3 games and I love them equally. So I don't think I can vote in this faceoff :)

Remember, Itsuno's games are only good because Itagaki game him a pep talk that one time:

So, I'm guessing DMC3 was in very early stages of development when this happened? Cause Itsuno said he is the director of DMC3, and then according to Itagaki, he went and directed DMC3 after the pep talk.

Anyway, if this is true, it shows how humble Itsuno is. He wasn't just some guy who was about to direct his first game, he had made Power Stone and Rival Schools before. Seriously, for someone who has created all these great games, he is not so well-known at all.

Man, this a tough choice. Both have made so real kick ass games, but I think I'm going to have to give it to Itsuno because of DMC3&4, Dragon's Dogma, and CvS. Too good.

Zaku

OP why do you do this.

aKLDCue.jpg

And they're only going to get harder as it goes on.

BadWolf

Anyway, if this is true, it shows how humble Itsuno is. He wasn't just some guy who was about to direct his first game, he had made Power Stone and Rival Schools before. Seriously, for someone who has created all these great games, he is not so well-known at all.

Yeah, very unfortunate. The guy has one hell of a resume.

Storm360

Very very tough choice

Although Power stone in one of my favourite games of all time, gotta give it to Kamiya, games like Okami and Bayonetta gave him the edge

Zaku

And he's probably making mobile games right now.

Actually, right now he's admitted to trying to choose between doing a proper DMC4 sequel or trying to revive the Rival Schools franchise.

Sometimes Capcom gets it right.

Itsuno's made one good game.

So Kamiya. By a mile.

What is the "one" good game on Itsuno's list? Because you're factually wrong no matter what you pick. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Kamiya's work personally, but Itsuno's got as many classics under his belt as Kamiya.

LeleSocho

Banned
Daaaaaamn that's a very very tough one...
I'll go with Itsuno i think...

Nostalgia for Power Stones and CvS2 wins over Kamiya's goodness

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually, right now he's admitted to trying to choose between doing a proper DMC4 sequel or trying to revive the Rival Schools franchise.

I'd love a source on this because I want to believe.

I do recall him making a statement that he'd like to make either of those things, but never confirmation that he actually has a greenlight from Capcom suits to do so. He recently presented at TGS for some of the mobile games that they were showing there, and we know that Capcom created a separate expansion wing devoted entirely to mobile gaming.

Here's the quote I'm thinking about:
In addition to that, I want to also make a miniature garden simulation, as well as make more games for (established) series such as “Rival Schools 3” and “Devil May Cry 5.” Later on, I would even like to make a game that captures authentic fighting and, such as Street Fighter II did, to develop a new genre of fighting games.

Inside of me there are a lot of things I want to make, and because there are already concepts, there might be a chance! I have this feeling (laughs)."

Not really confirmation.

BadWolf

He said that in a 2013 interview so he is probably very much hard at work on one of the projects as we speak (wouldn't be surprised if he was already working on it at the time of interview).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wasn't Itsuno the one who gave us "the feel of 60 FPS"?

His quote yep, but Ninja Theory's fault. Forced by Capcom to run positive PR for the franchise after the huge negative reaction and fall out and then even had to actively get involved with the project to drag it up to snuff all while he was still busy making Dragon's Dogma.

Itsuno's made one good game.

So Kamiya. By a mile.

You've said a lot of silly stuff on NeoGAF, so I dunno why I'm surprised but you're objectively wrong here.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Okami is a big deal for me, so Kamiya edges this one out.

A Kamiya vs Kojima battle would be much, much harder to decide.

The only thing I see Kamiya having the edge is personality

DMC3, 4 and DD would put Itsuno on the same level as Kamiya. Rival Schools, CvS and Powerstone puts him way above though. So my vote is for Itsuno.

Right now this man's dilemma is choosing between a Rival Schools revival which he wants to shake up the fighting games community as much as Street Fighter II or doing DMC5: That crap by Ninja Theory didn't happen. Ignore it.

My choice would've been Rival Schools for sure...before DmC came out. Now, both series need revivals, so I'm not sure which I want more.

Itsuno is great and turning around DMC from 2 to 3 is one of the best comebacks in gaming, but I'm going to have to go with Kamiya, I just enjoyed more of his games and love the variety in them.

w101.gif

Zaku

Kamiya but this doesnt feel like a fair fight. What does your Mum think?

Itsuno looks like he's capturing around 40%-50% of the vote. People thought during Kamiya versus Mikami that Kamiya would stomp mudholes all over Mikami, but he would up winning by only a slim margin.

I wouldn't count out Itsuno yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom