• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Director Faceoff, Round Two: Hideki Kamiya vs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don´t like Bayonetta, but Resident Evil 2 and Okami make me give my vote to Kamiya.

I can´t believe the creator of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 lost :(

Zaku

Kamiya ended up beating Mikami? You suck GAF. Anyways, I haven't played a single one of Itsuno's games, so I can't properly vote here.

It was very, very close. Kamiya took an early lead, which Mikami overtook for most of the thread. It was only a string of Kamiya votes right at the end which pushed him over the top.

Kamiya by a mile.

Itsuno is very good at what he does, probably a genius at perfecting other people's concepts. Kamiya does whatever the hell he wants and makes gold out of it.

Dawg

Itsuno because they are masterworks all you can't go wrong.

XS5LK.gif

Also, Itsuno oversaw DmC and at no point said "Hey, wait, why are there different colored enemies you can only hit with one weapon type?" which kind of diminishes his ability to oversee projects in my mind.

I mean, the most likely situation is Ninja Theory made a game and Itsuno called once a week to make sure they weren't pissing away the money on coke and hookers, but the marketing for that game pushed Itsuno as the man in charge and was overlooking every bit of the battle system, so until proven otherwise, he has to take that bullet.

Tain

Kamiya.

No real slight against Itsuno. I love Rival Schools and Power Stone, and CvS2 and Dragon's Dogma are pretty sweet. DMC3 is kinda weak though.

Lulubop

Ituno made the GOAT fighter game and Character action game.

He made a better Devil May Cry than Kamiya.

Itsuno

CvS2....

BadWolf

Itsuno is very good at what he does, probably a genius at perfecting other people's concepts. Kamiya does whatever the hell he wants and makes gold out of it.

What an odd thing to say when Kamiya is a one trick pony in comparison to the projects Itsuno has worked on.

And Itsuno did much more than perfect DMC, he made it his own.

Also, Itsuno oversaw DmC and at no point said "Hey, wait, why are there different colored enemies you can only hit with one weapon type?" which kind of diminishes his ability to oversee projects in my mind.

I mean, the most likely situation is Ninja Theory made a game and Itsuno called once a week to make sure they weren't pissing away the money on coke and hookers, but the marketing for that game pushed Itsuno as the man in charge and was overlooking every bit of the battle system, so until proven otherwise, he has to take that bullet.

Itsuno was busy on Dragon's Dogma (which is one of the best games of last gen imo with sublime combat).

If anything he was probably just brought onto DmC to try to combat the bad PR that had plagued the project since day 1.

Kirye

Oof, tough choice. As much as I love the DMC series, I have to go with Kamiya.

Not only because the man is a god and Bayonetta is amazing, but because I want to see how he fares against the greats.

Kamiya vs Miyamoto would be a bloodbath

What an odd thing to say when Kamiya is a one trick pony in comparison to the projects Itsuno has worked on.

And Itsuno did much more than perfect DMC, he made it his own.

Resident Evil 2, Okami, Bayonetta, and Wonderful 101 are all pretty impressive for being a single trick.

Itsuno was busy on Dragon's Dogma (which is one of the best games of last gen imo with sublime combat).

If anything he was probably just brought onto DmC to try to combat the bad PR that had plagued the project since day 1.

And yet he says he was in charge of DmC's combat. You're right, it is incredibly likely he did nothing and was lying through his teeth, but the best on-record evidence says he fucked up. The buck stops with him on that one.

Majukun

I admit it,i didn't play as much itsuno games as i played kamiya's ones...but i have to go for kamiya here..bayonetta surpasses even devil may cry 3 for me

BadWolf

Resident Evil 2, Okami, Bayonetta, and Wonderful 101 are all pretty impressive for being a single trick.

Not in comparison to Itsuno.

And yet he says he was in charge of DmC's combat. You're right, it is incredibly likely he did nothing and was lying through his teeth, but the best on-record evidence says he fucked up. The buck stops with him on that one.

Oh man, you really want to stick that on him don't you? Don't know if you've played Enslaved but Ninja Theory likes to stick gimmicks into their gameplay.

Might as well blame him for the disaster that was DMC2, he is credited as director on that.

But while you do that try to remember that his last three games, you know, the one's he actually fully directed (Dragon's Dogma, DMC4 and DMC3), have some of the best, if not the best, combat engines to date.

Not in comparison to Itsuno.

Oh man, you really want to stick that on him don't you? Don't know if you've played Enslaved but Ninja Theory likes to stick gimmicks into their gameplay.

Might as well blame him for the disaster that was DMC2, he is credited as director on that.

But while you do that try to remember that his last three games, you know, the one's he actually fully directed (Dragon's Dogma, DMC4 and DMC3), have some of the best, if not the best, combat engines to date.

So your logic is, it doesn't matter what he said, it doesn't count because you don't want it to count.

Okay.

BadWolf

So your logic is, it doesn't matter what he said, it doesn't count because you don't want it to count.

Okay.

No, my logic is that you do not direct a game like Dragon's Dogma with it's incredible combat while, at the very same time, being fully in charge of and involved with combat in a game like DMC.

Itsuno does not rely on gimmicks in his combat.

It was very obvious why they started mentioning him in the PR. If you can't see that then that's your problem.

I dunno what "director" means regarding Capcom vs SNK 2. The dude I'd credit most for that game being what it is is Hidetoshi Ishizawa (neo_g).

That being said, I gotta vote Kamiya on this one.

Requeim

Itsuno.

I see it as the difference between someone who mostly innovates gameplay, and someone who mostly perfects it. The latter is more appealing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom