• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry article confirms PS2 userbase figures reported at 74 mil.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5254

Total PlayStation family console sales now at 175 million as PStwo arrives

The staggering scale of Sony's total global dominance of this generation of games consoles was underlined today with the consumer electronics giant releasing its latest set of official figures for both incarnations of the PlayStation.

The latest set of figures reveal that the PS2 has topped 74 million sales across the world, with North America leading the way with 32.2 million, Europe/PAL with 25.9 million and Japan on its own accounting for some 17.9 million. UK sales alone are thought to be approaching 7.5 million alone - a staggering achievement for Sony.

The mighty PSone also continues to sell at its impulse price, with a total of 100.9 million sold since it launched in Japan 10 years ago, with North American sales at 40.2million, Europe/PAL with 39.8 million and Japan with 20.9 million.

With the recently released remodelled, slimmed-down PlayStation 2 already proving to be a huge hit with consumers, Sony could already hit the 100 million total in time for the PlayStation 3's release in about 18 month's time.

We already knew this last week :D

What's sad is that they already had 70 million at the end of 2003. Clearly there was excess inventory in the channels that they were probably happy to have cleared out, but the timing was just way off. I sure as hell hope they have enough for this holiday worldwide.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's amazing that Sony was able to put a bigger beat down on its competition this gen than they did last gen.
Mission accomplished Microsoft! ;)

175 million PlayStations out there is insane though. FWIW there's only about 176 million Game Boys in circulation (not counting Super GBs or GB Players).

Yay for people having to buy multiple systems to replace the broken ones =P..... I wonder what the actual userbase is based on individual owners, not systems sold.

belgurdo

Banned
Robert-GCA said:
Yay for people having to buy multiple systems to replace the broken ones =P..... I wonder what the actual userbase is based on individual owners, not systems sold.

I hear that...I'm on my third (and after GTA: SA, soon to be fourth) PS2 as of recently

Kon Tiki

Banned
75 Million PS2 ( or to be more relaistic 58 Million in GTA's main regions), now why is it hard for 25Million GTA:SA to be sold? Halo 1 managed a 1:3 ratio, I am sure Halo 2 will be closer.

Tim

SolidSnakex said:
It's amazing that Sony was able to put a bigger beat down on its competition this gen than they did last gen.
And to think I thought the Gamecube would put Nintendo back on top of things. It really is starting to look more and more depressing for Nintendo. They need to change their strategy, fast. I'm hopeful they get it right with the Revolution, but this time I'm gonna be a whole lot more careful with selecting the system(s) I'm buying.

Miburou

Robert-GCA said:

And yet the PS and PS2 have higher software to hardware ratios than their competitors. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Insertia

Society said:
75 Million PS2 ( or to be more relaistic 58 Million in GTA's main regions), now why is it hard for 25Million GTA:SA to be sold? Halo 1 managed a 1:3 ratio, I am sure Halo 2 will be closer.

Unlike Halo for Xbox, GTA is only one of many major titles for PS2.

Top Bottom