• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Protip, the title is irrelevant. The series as a whole is based on the Song of Fire and Ice series. That's why we have so many seasons in the first place. The fact that you people are trying to use the title to discredit all criticism is pretty hilarious.
I’m not discrediting anyone. But when I watch the show I see so much more than the story about the damn zombies in fact it has always been the weakest aspect of the show. I loved GOT because of the complexity of the characters that in truth reflect a lot about human nature. Tyrion is one of the best examples of this. There is so much you can learn about actual real life in GOT and Peter Dinkledge (don’t know how to spell that) said “this is the most realistic show I have ever see with dragons”.

Dacon

Banned
I don't see much criticism, though. I see a handful of people who don't like the way a story was told and/or the direction it went. All of which seems to be based upon their own personal preferences. That isn't criticism. That is crying because you didn't get what you wanted and/or expected. Expectations furthermore that had no basis in reality if one considers all that has come before.

That's literally what criticism is.

crit·i·cism
/ˈkridəˌsizəm/
noun

1. 1.
    the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes.
    "he received a lot of criticism"
the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I’m not discrediting anyone. But when I watch the show I see so much more than the story about the damn zombies in fact it has always been the weakest aspect of the show. I loved GOT because of the complexity of the characters that in truth reflect a lot about human nature. Tyrion is one of the best examples of this. There is so much you can learn about actual real life in GOT and Peter Dinkledge (don’t know how to spell that) said “this is the most realistic show I have ever see with dragons”.

There's some nice reflections of real life in the show, but by far the show is very, very unrealistic. This latest episode of a good example of that.

There's some nice reflections of real life in the show, but by far the show is very, very unrealistic. This latest episode of a good example of that.
I’m mainly talking about seasons 1-5 and the books. It’s clear the show has gone the more Hollywood approach, also I wanted to point out most of GRRM’s inspiration comes from actual history. Shit like the red wedding and worse actually happened in Human history just because it has fantasy elements dose not mean the show is not realistic when the characters are in depth like real people

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Stop trying to shut down discussion.

He's not though. He's right insofar that the people complaining just wanted more lore and time investment in the NK and his storyline.

People just wanted different things, and are throwing a tantrum that its not what theh envisioned.

Dacon

Banned
He's not though. He's right insofar that the people complaining just wanted more lore and time investment in the NK and his storyline.

People just wanted different things, and are throwing a tantrum that its not what theh envisioned.

People are literally just giving their opinions of what happened in the episode, and there's been people repeatedly dismissing them as crying and throwing tantrums, when there's been some legitimate., well thought out arguments presented for those opinions.

Somehow, people don't like that and have chosen to just attack people for having misgivings about this episode.

I’m mainly talking about seasons 1-5 and the books. It’s clear the show has gone the more Hollywood approach

That's why so many are disappointed. The series in the last 2 seasons has fallen out of line in many ways from the rest of what came before.

People are literally just giving their opinions of what happened in the episode, and there's been people repeatedly dismissing them as crying and throwing tantrums, when there's been some legitimate., well thought out arguments presented for those opinions.

Somehow, people don't like that and have chosen to just attack people for having misgivings about this episode.

That's why so many are disappointed. The series in the last 2 seasons has fallen out of line in many ways from the rest of what came before.
I know but what I’m trying to say is that GOT is so much more than the damn zombies.

Dacon

Banned
I know but what I’m trying to say is that GOT is so much more than the damn zombies.

I think referring to the white walkers simply as "zombies" is a bit disingenuous, but I agree it is more than them. However, the threat of the others has been a long standing looming threat in the series, and has been from the start. They've always been a huge part of the plot, a thread that's been tugged on quite often for dramatic effect.

The story itself was constantly reiterating that it didn't matter who wound up on the throne if everyone was dead from ignoring the threat of the Walker's approach. There's been 7 years of build up to this confrontation, it's not surprising that people would be upset by how its conclusion was handled.

MMaRsu

Agreed but the NK wasted the entire army.. its not like he didnt basically win already..

He just suspect the sneak attack and let his guard down

I think referring to the white walkers simply as "zombies" is a bit disingenuous, but I agree it is more than them. However, the threat of the others has been a long standing looming threat in the series, and has been from the start. They've always been a huge part of the plot, a thread that's been tugged on quite often for dramatic effect.

The story itself was constantly reiterating that it didn't matter who wound up on the throne if everyone was dead from ignoring the threat of the Walker's approach. There's been 7 years of build up to this confrontation, it's not surprising that people would be upset by how its conclusion was handled.
I can agree with that. They should have dealt with cerci first and then have the NK be the full climax of the show. The battle to end all battles. That is what most people wanted including me, and that’s why it feels kind of anti climatic. I was always way more interested in the politics of the show so ending it on a high note high fantasy battle would have been more satisfying redargless of how the NK died.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

It's comparable to Titanic. That's a movie which has an underlying theme featuring a critique & moral introspection of the class system prevalent back in 1912, with the conflicting behaviors of the super rich & super poor magnified & given purpose by an "end of the world" scenario where survival instincts take over & the audience is left asking itself how they'd behave themselves in a similar scenario. In Game of Thrones on Sunday, they essentially just swerved the iceberg & now want people to care about the intrigue & characters without the high stakes.

It's narratively deflating.

ZehDon

I don't see much criticism, though. I see a handful of people who don't like the way a story was told and/or the direction it went. All of which seems to be based upon their own personal preferences. That isn't criticism. That is crying because you didn't get what you wanted and/or expected. Expectations furthermore that had no basis in reality if one considers all that has come before.
Either you’ve read no posts in this thread, or your doing a poor attempt at trolling. In either case, this post is embarrassingly disconnected.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
At the end of the day, I still will like the show a lot, but the whole ending is a real bummer so far. Like I called before this episode even aired, we expected The Long Night 2. Instead we got The Terrible Evening. It's just such a rushjob. It's very weak in terms of lore. Bran does nothing. The Stark crypts ended up being nothing. The Night King basically did nothing. The Red Woman kinda did nothing.

It's almost a The Last Jedi level of subverted expectations. I still need to watch it a 2nd time, but it's a bummer.

Basically we have one episode to look forward to that's just story and dialogue talking about the post-battle. Then probably one more battle against Cersei. Then one more post-battle episode, then it's over.

And honestly, if they never reveal how Valyrian Steel is made, I'll be a little upset. Because now we know it's somehow stronger THAN DRAGONFIRE against White Walkers.

Also, did we see a single White Walker fight anyone in that episode, or was it only Wights? What a weird set of decisions.

Dontero

Banned
Good episode. Almost 70 minutes of battle.

I think people ask too much from tv show. People tend to forget they have per episode budget not per movie.
So it obviously couldn't be long haul because they wouldn't have budget and there are still episodes after it which more or less will feature battles.

The problem with TV show is that it didn't have scale. While battle of brothers etc made a lot of sense this battle scale wise didn't. Dorthaki was in 100s of thousands, unsullied also had 10s of thousands knits etc also were not just 5 men. So it felt like small battle.

My criticism here is that Bran was supposed to be bait. But they basically had to lose for horde to get him.
Which doesn't make much sense. Like some people said plot armor was very thick and i agree that major character should die either Jon or Dragonchick. Second portion is that we don't know why nk even cares about 3er.

Positives:
- melisandre was cool
- whole battle choreography looked realistic for what it was and there was strategy to battle

Also lol about people being but-hurt that it wasn't avengers story where everyone joins together.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
There are plenty of secondary (and not so secondary) characters which are ultra one-dimentional in the books. Oh, and NK is not a character in the books (so far), so whether he has back motives, is playing a big fat joke on the living, or is just a single-minded human weapon -- that's left entirely to the interpretation of the screenwriters. They chose not to develop him into a proper characters -- it's as if GoT had already enough developed characters..

The books have far more characters than the TV show, you can't develop them all at the same level.

But obviously the important characters of the books are far more tridimensional, nuanced and well written. Like you know, the characters of the show in the first seasons when they were adapting the books.

GRRM: "The whole concept of a Dark Lord, Good vs Evil...has become kind of a cartoon. We don't need any more Dark Lords. A villain is a hero of the other side, that's the interesting thing and definitely what i'm aiming at."

D&D: "Evil smirking & Nothing personnel"

I'd say the show made quite a few loose ends converge, which is beyond what most other tv series try (or achieve). I'm sorry if that does not meet some D&D fans' criteria.

The show has literally shit on itself. First they have destroyed all the smart characters by either kill them or just turn them into retards by the power of their dumb writting. Converging some loose ends with the crappiest plotholes ever doesn't solve the loose ends, it just makes the entire show pointless, dumb and empty.

It's Lost all over again.

Tesseract

Banned
Lets celebrate this iconic moment again shall we 😂😂

source.gif

Jon Neu

Banned

Precisely all the complexity has gone seasons ago.

The fight for the throne was always this laberintic scheming of politics and manipulation with so many players involved, that WAS the fight for the throne. That doesn't exist anymore, because the writing now is literally Hollywood dumb quality level.

And the history of the damn zombies is literally the first thing we ever see, is the entire selling point of the TV series. They hyped up the white walkers for 7 seasons, but now what's important is that shell of a character that was once Cersei and that buffon called Euron, and we are going to call that shit the fight for the throne, trying to imply is the same thing as what happened the first seasons. Well, IT'S FUCKING NOT. That's NOT what the fight for the throne was about, don't fucking tell me that the important thing is the fight for the throne when the show has shitted all over that too and have become the epitome of dumb storytelling.

MMaRsu

And the history of the damn zombies is literally the first thing we ever see, is the entire selling point of the TV series.

Man how can you understand so little about a show

Just because the ww are what set in motion the GoT thats not what the selling point, or focal point of the show ever was.

Jon Neu

Banned

Just because the ww are what set in motion the GoT thats not what the selling point, or focal point of the show ever was.

So you are one of those types that when Lost finished said that the island and the mysteries never mattered, only the characters?

Precisely the show has had more of a focal point on the white walkers than the books.

But you know, it doesn't matter if you are going to argue that the show "was never about the White Walkers and only was about the throne". It's stupid, because apparently the show can't be about both of those things, it just has to be one, right? I guess you think everything that had to do with the White Walkers, the wall, the Nightwatch, Melisandre, Bran, The 3 Eyed Crow, The Children Of The Forest and so on is just filler. The longest filler ever.

But the problem still remains the same, they have destroyed both of those things with their dumb writing. Even so more the fight for the throne, because that arguably required a finesse and precision more so than the zombies.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Man, how can you understand so little about a show. Littlefinger set in motion the Game of Thrones as it was shown in the first episode. It took nearly six seasons for that fact to even be known, so good was his ploys and skill at the game he started. That's why his unearned, unintelligent, and woefully telegraphed death at the end of Season 7 was straight garbage. Meanwhile, the White Walkers were set in motion one hundred centuries before the show started, and this was to be the culmination of over ten millennia of lore, prophecies, foretelling, and events of their existence - the point of the story. That's why the story was set during this time frame, rather than Robert's Rebellion, which had zero supernatural elements, and was entirely pure politics and warfare. This was the time of the white walkers. They returned now, to make their great war, and blanket the world in ice and death unto the ending of time. Men had forgotten about them, the once honourable Night's Watch - stoic guardians, bound by unbreakable oaths - reduced to a starving gang of rapists and thieves, killing feral humans at the forgotten frozen end of the world. While Littlefinger played a game for a metal chair, the Walkers drew their plans, conjured their dark magics from the lands of always winter, and began their cold march against the world of man. One hundred centuries evil dwelled in the lands of always winter, held back only by the courage of men. But no, clearly you're right - the real selling point of the this story was who gets temporary ownership of the metal chair that's had five owners and eight claims in just few years of the story we've seen alone. How could I have been so blind...

Man, how can you understand so little about a show. Littlefinger set in motion the Game of Thrones as it was shown in the first episode. It took nearly six seasons for that fact to even be known, so good was his ploys and skill at the game he started. That's why his unearned, unintelligent, and woefully telegraphed death at the end of Season 7 was straight garbage. Meanwhile, the White Walkers were set in motion one hundred centuries before the show started, and this was to be the culmination of over ten millennia of lore, prophecies, foretelling, and events of their existence - the point of the story.

Yeah, that's why I'm convinced that D&D pull their heads out of their asses and reveal that Littlefinger faked his death by hiring a faceless person. All the clues are there, so anything short of this will be a huge disappointment to me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

An enemy that shows up in literally the first scene, was defeated in the fourth-to-last ever episode, represents one half of the source material's title, and is portrayed as the biggest threat in the show's universe wasn't one of the focal points of the show?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Being upset that my personal theory didn't come true isn't the same as thinking the way it did go is ass.
There's plenty of people who liked the Michael Bay inspired episode and still agree that the writing was shit.

Why does bran matter? The NK exposes himself for him but why? He's irrelevant, if the NK wants him put him on a trebuchet and yeet him at the NK.

Why the completely idiotic battle plans?
Why do characters "die" 5 times only to be shown they survived a few minutes later.
How do you ruin so many story arcs in one episode?
How are you going to explain Arya not just stealth killing cersei after you made her super OP?

The episode was written in the same way that uncharted is written, come up with the cool scenes first and then try to string them all together.

Jon Neu

Banned
Remember when various characters said through all seasons that the only thing that mattered was Bran and the war against the dead?

It was all a dream, the only thing that matters is Cersei's cunt reposing on the throne while drinking wine and saying dumb one liners while looking inexpresively sad.

Game Of Thrones, Duh?

Yeah, that's why I'm convinced that D&D pull their heads out of their asses and reveal that Littlefinger faked his death by hiring a faceless person. All the clues are there, so anything short of this will be a huge disappointment to me.

The writing has become so stupid it could actually happen.

By the way, now that we have the most overpowered character ever in Arya, someone who can literally go all alone to King's landing and kill Cersei before the Mountain could even mumble: NANI!? Let's see how they make the dumbest plot ever and a lot of important characters die in "the fight for the throne".

The writing has become so stupid it could actually happen.

By the way, now that we have the most overpowered character ever in Arya, someone who can literally go all alone to King's landing and kill Cersei before the Mountain could even mumble: NANI!? Let's see how they make the dumbest plot ever and a lot of important characters die in "the fight for the throne".

I'm just trying to figure out how if true, and if it happens, how he could ever lay any claim to the throne unless he proved some sort of lineage. I just find it perplexing that they spent so much time building up Littlefinger who is quoted as saying he thinks of every possible outcome, everywhere, all the time, to simply be outdone by two little girls. Were they going for irony there or was that some low-key "grrl power" thing? Knowing what he knows that Sansa knows, why would he ever expose himself like that? It betrays his character.

Airbus Jr

Banned
An enemy that shows up in literally the first scene, was defeated in the fourth-to-last ever episode, represents one half of the source material's title, and is portrayed as the biggest threat in the show's universe wasn't one of the focal points of the show?

The thing is the way the story can evolve to the next stage theres only 2 options

1. Jon and co beat Night King in Winterfell
2. Jon and everyone north lost. Everyone turned into zombie. Plus Night King now will have 3 zombie dragon this time and continue march South to fight Cersei. His additional zombie armies from Winterfell batle , Valle , Tully etc he accumulate from victory across the march will be too much for Lannister to handle so i predict NK wins and Westeros become a white walkers land. Next step NK will fly to Essos and slowly start zombifying everyone from Bravos. Eventually it will caught up to Mereen and everyone in Essos eventually become wights too

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I'm just trying to figure out how if true, and if it happens, how he could ever lay any claim to the throne unless he proved some sort of lineage. I just find it perplexing that they spent so much time building up Littlefinger who is quoted as saying he thinks of every possible outcome, everywhere, all the time, to simply be outdone by two little girls. Were they going for irony there or was that some low-key "grrl power" thing? Knowing what he knows that Sansa knows, why would he ever expose himself like that? It betrays his character.

I think it's one of those moments where you make a character retarded to seem another character seem intelligent. In this case sansa and littlefinger.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The thing is the way the story can evolve to the next stage theres only 2 options

1. Jon and co beat Night King in Winterfell
2. Jon and everyone north lost. Everyone turned into zombie. Plus Night King now will have 3 zombie dragon this time and continue march South to fight Cersei. His additional zombie armies from Winterfell batle , Valle , Tully etc he accumulate from victory across the march will be too much for Lannister to handle so i predict NK wins

Uhh, what? There's a lot of other ways it could have gone, not just 2. I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm saying I expected much more, and I think GRRM will probably write something way better.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Uhh, what? There's a lot of other ways it could have gone, not just 2. I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm saying I expected much more, and I think GRRM will probably write something way better.

You said theres lot other ways

So how do you expect for S8E3 story to be made ?

Last edited:

AV

You said theres lot other ways So how do you expect for S8E3 story to be made ?
I'm not saying I have the answers

Come on man, "let's see you do it better" is not valid critique. Not many people on this board make video games but we sure do complain about them a lot.

Although if you want to know how I would've done it? Let's start with not having the night king completely expose himself by walking directly into the heart of the enemy base for no good reason, and instead have his army capture Brann and bring him to the NK.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Come on man, "let's see you do it better" is not valid critique. Not many people on this board make video games but we sure do complain about them a lot.

Although if you want to know how I would've done it? Let's start with not having the night king completely expose himself by walking directly into the heart of the enemy base for no good reason, and instead have his army capture Brann and bring him to the NK.

NK always want to finish 3ER firshand

And the way it progress from Winterfell batle theres only two outcome
1. NK win in winterfell turned jon and everyone into zombies and continue to march south to zombified everyone
2. Jon and northern people win and the game of thrones story continues

People expecting a twist or behind story/extra plot from NK are in for dissapointment because really theres nothing else to be told about him

Hes a murderous killing machine created by Children of The Forrest to combat The First Men which now has gone AWOL/ out of control

Last edited:

AV

And the way it progress from WInterfell batle theres only two outcome
1. NK win in winterfell and continue to march south to zimbified everyone
2. Jon and northen win and the game of thrones story continues

Okay, doesn't mean he has to kill him under a specific tree. Why couldn't his army literally just carry Brann to where the NK is waiting elsewhere, not in the middle of a battlefield? NK is shown at several points in the show to be smart, patient and capable.

Yes, I get that after the battle had already started, there wasn't many ways out of it (although still more than just 2), the point is that battle maybe shouldn't have even happened like that in the first place. You don't have to have the Winterfell battle.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Okay, doesn't mean he has to kill him under a specific tree. Why couldn't his army literally just carry Brann to where the NK is waiting elsewhere, not in the middle of a battlefield? NK is shown at several points in the show to be smart, patient and capable.

Yes, I get that after the battle had already started, there wasn't many ways out of it (although still more than just 2), the point is that battle maybe shouldn't have even happened like that in the first place. You don't have to have the Winterfell battle.

Because NK has no plans to carry Bran or captured any single living being alive , he never intend to held someone hostage or for ransom never will and never ever, that just aint his style

His plans is to finish everyone on site and continue marching south to make more white walkers

Last edited:

AV

Because NK has no plans to carry Bran or captured any single living alive , he never intend to held someone hostage or for ransom

His plans is to finish everyone on site and continue march south

... I didn't say hold him hostage, just have his army bring him Brann so he can execute him. Or hell, fly in with his undead dragon and torch the place. We even see that happen, just not where Brann is, even though NK knows exactly where he is. It's all just written so that we can have a scene where Arya assassinates him.

You should go back and watch seasons 1-5. The quality of the writing is massively better than 6-8 because D&D were working from good source material. Now they're just writing a TV show.

Airbus Jr

Banned
... I didn't say hold him hostage, just have his army bring him Brann so he can execute him. Or hell, fly in with his undead dragon and torch the place. We even see that happen, just not where Brann is, even though NK knows exactly where he is. It's all just written so that we can have a scene where Arya assassinates him.

You should go back and watch seasons 1-5. The quality of the writing is massively better than 6-8 because D&D were working from good source material. Now they're just writing a TV show.

NK tried to struck Bran but got interrupted by Jon and Rhaegal. You can see them flying above weirwood in some scene

Also theres less talking and conversation now because early season were made to construct the early conflict and the S6 onwards are shapping the main war/conflict.

Were actually supposed to see a big war in Season 2 between Stark and Lannister but cancelled due to the death of Robb Stark

The writing is done by the same people and always under the guide/scrutiny of GRRM

Last edited:

MMaRsu

For every 5 min of ww scenes there were about 3 hours worth of politics and conversations. So no it was never the focal point. It was what set the entire "Game of Thrones" in motion. Very important to the overall story and getting characters to where they need to be? Hell yes.

The mystery of the NK and Walkers were never ever put front and center. Don't argue this because you know it's true.

GoT was never about this specific mystery.

The worst thing Lost did was try to explain all the interesting mysteries.

So in my eyes, in GoT, yes the characters have actually speak and have a personality are infinitely more interesting than some killing machine. All he wants is death. What mystery is there to unravel?

Last edited:

bigedole

And the way it progress from Winterfell batle theres only two outcome
1. NK win in winterfell turned jon and everyone into zombies and continue to march south to zombified everyone
2. Jon and northern people win and the game of thrones story continues

People expecting a twist or behind story/extra plot from NK are in for dissapointment because really theres nothing else to be told about him

Hes a murderous killing machine created by Children of The Forrest to combat The First Men which now has gone AWOL/ out of control

Except your lack of imagination doesn't mean you're right. The North could've lost, Winterfell sacked and a large portion of the defenders killed and a small contingent (minus some of the named characters obviously) escaped to the south to live another day. I personally was hoping this is what would happen, with Bran attempting to warg into the Night King (past or present) which temporarily stops the army of the dead allowing the others to escape, but he gets stuck either back in time to become current day NK or in the present day NK. Those who survive escape back to Dragonstone, have it out in the south with Cersei and eventually win (With a lot of main characters dead at this point) and then a final showdown with the NK with new knowledge in hand in the form of cool and interesting lore that allows them to win this time. Show ends with Dany left ruling over a broken and meaningless seven kingdoms, everyone she knew and loved dead and gone but pregnant with Jon's baby to give hope for the future.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Except your lack of imagination doesn't mean you're right. The North could've lost, Winterfell sacked and a large portion of the defenders killed and a small contingent (minus some of the named characters obviously) escaped to the south to live another day. I personally was hoping this is what would happen, with Bran attempting to warg into the Night King (past or present) which temporarily stops the army of the dead allowing the others to escape, but he gets stuck either back in time to become current day NK or in the present day NK. Those who survive escape back to Dragonstone, have it out in the south with Cersei and eventually win (With a lot of main characters dead at this point) and then a final showdown with the NK with new knowledge in hand in the form of cool and interesting lore that allows them to win this time. Show ends with Dany left ruling over a broken and meaningless seven kingdoms, everyone she knew and loved dead and gone but pregnant with Jon's baby to give hope for the future.

Who do you think will be able survive?

Theyl be cought up and overrun.

Actually nobody can run from that place, everyone in the crypt is stucked and path to escape blocked. And everyone stuck in the castle is done for, maybe some of the soldier that still alive and standing in the other side of WInterfell can run for awhile but NK with his dragon can easily fly ( he will have 3 dragon this time), catch them up and toast all them. If Arya didnt pull the final blow everyones there is a goner

Last edited:

bigedole

Who do you think will be able survive?

Theyl be cought up and overrun.

Actually nobody can run from that place, everyone in the crypt is stucked and path to escape blocked. And everyone stuck in the castle is done for, maybe some of the soldier standing in the other side can run for awhile but NK with his dragon can easily fly, catch them up and toast all them. If Arya didnt pull the final blow everyones there is a goner

Again, your lack of an imagination doesn't really hold any water. You should try applying your thought processes to the shit battle you watched in episode 3 and see if you find it logically consistent with how you're approaching the rest of this conversation.

AV

Also theres less talking and conversation now because early season were made to construct the early conflict and the S6 onwards are shapping the main war/conflict.

Were actually supposed to see a big war in Season 2 between Stark and Lannister but cancelled due to the death of Robb Stark

There's just as much conversation as before, it's just significantly worse because it's not based on GRRM's source text - the thing that made Game of Thrones good in the first place. Season 6 took a nosedive in terms of writing quality for this very reason.

And Robb didn't die in season 2, we weren't "supposed" to see anything, that's just how the story unfolded.

For every 5 min of ww scenes there were about 3 hours worth of politics and conversations. So no it was never the focal point. It was what set the entire "Game of Thrones" in motion. Very important to the overall story and getting characters to where they need to be? Hell yes. The mystery of the NK and Walkers were never ever put front and center. Don't argue this because you know it's true. GoT was never about this specific mystery. So in my eyes, in GoT, yes the characters have actually speak and have a personality are infinitely more interesting than some killing machine. All he wants is death. What mystery is there to unravel?

There isn't one focal point in Game of Thrones, so trying to argue that something wasn't a non-existent thing is moot. Game of Thrones has many, many moving parts and the white walkers are one of them, and just because they're not always on screen, doesn't mean they're not one of the most important, if not the most important, aspects of the show. To brush it off as "just another mystery" is ludicrous, they have been hyped up as one of the primary antagonists for the entire duration of the show.

Just because we didn't get an interesting night king doesn't mean there couldn't have been one. I imagine we'll see this in the final book, if GRRM writes it before he dies. No way in hell is GRRM writing "and then Arya jumped in and stabbed him with a dagger".

Oh, and "The mystery of the NK and Walkers were never ever put front and center"? Come on man:

horses.jpg

LUb8CtP-720x404.png

s7.jpg

spiral.jpg

Like those were just supposed to scare us, or something.

MMaRsu

Those are 4 scenes in years of material cmon man.. yes they were very important but main antagonist? most important threat overall I can agree with tho

Airbus Jr

Banned
Again, your lack of an imagination doesn't really hold any water. You should try applying your thought processes to the shit battle you watched in episode 3 and see if you find it logically consistent with how you're approaching the rest of this conversation.

I just explained to you theres no posible way to escape from that batlle. Its do or die, all or nothing for them

NK have flying dragon, you cant outrun that even with horses

Last edited:
Top Bottom