• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

ADWD

Won't that be lovely. I wonder how badly they're going to mutilate him, he might require some pretty serious makeup in later seasons.

Yeah it should be interesting to see how far they go with it. The pictures of Alfie from the premiere the other week make it look like he's gone all-in for it (looks super skinny and has the bleached hair). I'm a little bummed that they didn't use Ramsay as Reek during Theon's reign of Winterfell, so I wonder what his introduction will be like now.

I was a little shocked that they show what looks most definitely like Theon strung up being tortured in the trailers. There's even a scream at that part which sounds exactly like Alfie. It makes sense to use his character though because he was such a big focus in season two. You can't just leave him out. My question is about how much we will actually see him this season. Because what can they even do with his character this season? Obviously torture him, but you can't do that every episode. Will he just be in the background of Roose/Ramsay scenes? lol

Major Series Spoilers
There is an escape attempt/"hunt", flaying, Ramsay is cast as "boy" leading to the theory that he will befriend him posing as a fellow prisoner, and reveals at the end of the season that he is Ramsay, been the one torturing him, was in on Robb's betrayal, and burned Winterfell. Plenty of content, but certainly not going to see them every episode, maybe half (I'd guess 6 at most).

--------------------------------

Variety Review
Success hasn’t spoiled the HBO series, but rather enriched it — rendering the sets and visual effects seemingly more sumptuous, and the array of gaudy British talent within the sprawling cast even deeper. Perhaps more ostentatiously than anything else on the pay service, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss’ unflinching adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s books straddles the line between theatrical blockbuster and dense multi-pronged TV serial. At its best, it’s big, bloody and downright glorious.

RaidenZR

Here's the thing, I think the show is a pretty reliable barometer of the significance of certain things in the books. (Series)
If Talisa just turns out to be an expendable spy who is killed, it confirms what GRRM already suggested about Jeyne, that the difference in descriptions of her was just an oversight. She probably isn't pregnant or important to the story at all going forward. Conversely, even though none of the characters comment on it at all, the broken old warhorn was included in the cache of dragonglass found at the Fist by Sam and co, which confirms to me that it probably is the Horn of Winter and will play a major role in the endgame of the story.

I posted about this in the Off-season thread but it bugs me it keeps coming up. [series spoilers]
Even though George copped to the whole inconsistent descriptions thing, I think it's been blown out of proportion by the fanbase. If you really think about those descriptions (and clearly people have) they are coming from to very different characters with very different viewpoints. One is a mother and knows a thing or two about childbirth and the other, who is a man's man for the majority of the series and is indifferent to any female not named Cersei. Internally he had nothing but insults towards Brienne's appearance either until he started to warm up to her. So I take his descriptions with a grain of salt. Before I read about any clamor over these words from other readers, I figured it was Jaime just being Jaime by saying she wasn't a girl to lose a kingdom over.

However, that's not to say I think Jeyne/Tulisa is supposed to be some significant character down the line. I have no opinion or speculation on the matter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
gMm6AI7.png

Ambitious

Awesome, a cinema in my city (Vienna, Austria) is organizing a Game of Thrones event tomorrow. They'll show the last three episodes of season 2 and there will be a party afterwards, with harp music and mead. Tom Wlaschiha, the actor portraying Jaqen H'ghar, will be present for a Q&A session. Looking forward.

Monocle

It's hard to explain the unreasonable pleasure I feel being able to highlight anything marked as a series spoiler. I read all five books about a year ago, carefully avoiding any hint of future content until the final page of ADWD, and it's still such a joy to read ASOIAF discussions in full.

A couple random items from this morning:
- The Daily Beast with ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 for Dummies (a quick glossary with info on stuff that people may have forgotten, not really for book readers)
- Andy Greenwald in conversation with D&D for Grantland (youtube vid)
D.B. Weiss and David Benioff tell Andy Greenwald the tale of pitching the 'Game of Thrones' series to HBO suits and then the five-hour lunch with author George R.R. Martin that brought the project to life.

EDIT:
Also, Warming Glow with 21 Quick Facts About The Cast Of ‘Game Of Thrones’ That You Might Not Know. Think most of these have been discussed in GoT threads before.

3N16MA

Banned
It's hard to explain the unreasonable pleasure I feel being able to highlight anything marked as a series spoiler. I read all five books about a year ago, carefully avoiding any hint of future content until the final page of ADWD, and it's still such a joy to read ASOIAF discussions in full.

This is the only series in which I have gone ahead and read the books after watching season 1. I have decided not to read any of the True blood books or read the Walking Dead comics.

Tiktaalik

I'm considering doing a rewatch of season 2 (or at least part of it) and it just occurred to me that I've never watched the special features commentary. Is it interesting and worth it at all or skippable?

I'm considering doing a rewatch of season 2 (or at least part of it) and it just occurred to me that I've never watched the special features commentary. Is it interesting and worth it at all or skippable?

It's mainly just people saying "amazing" and "extraordinary" over and over again. some of them are interesting though. The one with Davos and Melisandre was pretty good.

Ryck

Have you watched the "histories and lore", those have been my favorite "special features" in both season 1 and 2's sets.

Scuderia

I've just read [ASoS]
the red wedding

Jesus, i've been in a bad mood all day since :(

Logical end point for Season 3?

Sepinwall - 'Game of Thrones' producers say season 3 'as big as we're going to get'

The third season of "Game of Thrones" is "probably as big as we're going to get," according to co-showrunner David Benioff, who joined partner D.B. Weiss on a press conference call to preview the HBO fantasy epic's return on Sunday night at 9.

"Season 3 is probably the biggest in terms of the number of new characters, number of new stories overall," Benioff explained. "The universe has expanded as much as it's going to, and now it's going to contract... As pieces start to get removed from the chessboard, we'll have fewer on there. We're nearly to the midpoint (of the story), and it'll be interesting to see what's going forward with the endgame."

They're as worried about when the remaining books come out as you are: Actually, "I guess we spend more time worrying than the fans," Benioff said. The two of them visited Martin at his home in Santa Fe back in February to pump him for information about where all the stories are going, so they can properly set them up in the world of the show, and "It was incredibly useful," according to Benioff.

"There's no question that this will be better for us if the books come out before the various seasons come out," Benioff added. "That said, we're not going to take a two-year hiatus (to wait for a book). The little kids are growing older, the show's got momentum now, and the show must go on. We're just hopeful that it will all time out."

ecurbj

I will start off saying sorry for asking this because I just got into Game Of Thrones but is that Emilia Clarke's actual body or is a dummy body?

Ughhh.... have they read A Feast for Crows? GRRM keeps on introducing more and more characters. I'd think the cast would have to expand a little bit more before you start contracting, minus of course for obvious story reasons.

[ASoS and AFfC]
I guess maybe they simply mean that once they kill off people in season 3 and 4, those losses in the cast open up spots for the necessary new characters? I mean, they still have to introduce the rest of the Greyjoys, Braavos and all of the Dornish people, then Aegon and his guys later, among others. I'm going to guess they'll massively simplify and condense a bunch of those characters however.

That said, the ninth episode of season 3 will focus on a smaller group of characters, while they expect in season 4(*) to do a battle even bigger than in "Blackwater."
Nice. [ASoS- season 4 spoilers]
I really hope the Battle at the Wall and Stannis' charge are as awesome as I pictured them when I read the book.

I will start off saying sorry for asking this because I just got into Game Of Thrones but is that Emilia Clarke's actual body or is a dummy body?

Pretty sure when she's naked in season 1, that's all her.

Crisco

Banned
Ughhh.... have they read A Feast for Crows? GRRM keeps on introducing more and more characters. I'd think the cast would have to expand a little bit more before you start contracting, minus of course for obvious story reasons.

[ASoS and AFfC]
I guess maybe they simply mean that once they kill off people in season 3 and 4, those losses in the cast open up spots for the necessary new characters? I mean, they still have to introduce the rest of the Greyjoys, Braavos and all of the Dornish people, then Aegon and his guys later, among others. I'm going to guess they'll massively simplify and condense a bunch of those characters however.

Nice. [ASoS- season 4 spoilers]
I really hope the Battle at the Wall and Stannis' charge are as awesome as I pictured them when I read the book.

Pretty sure when she's naked in season 1, that's all her.

(Series)
Eh, I think you can tell pretty much the same story while leaving out all the Dorne PoVs and most of the Greyjoy stuff until Euron shows up. I don't need 2 hours of Doran Martell's gouty knees and Arianne's whining.

Azrael

Something I saw online about Theon's scenes in the first four episodes. Massive spoilers, obviously:

It’s basically pretty simple: Theon wakes chained to a rack in the dungeons of some unknown citadel. They torture him for a while, and we don’t see Ramsay except as a shy-looking young man cleaning the dungeon in the background. After the torturers finally leave Theon alone, Ramsay (or “Boy” I should say) goes to Theon and promises to free him soon. After more torturing, Theon is left alone again, and at last Ramsay frees him, sneaking him out, getting him on a horse and telling him to meet him (somewhere). Theon flees on horseback.

But Theon is soon pursued by (bannerless) Bolton men and caught, and beaten some more (Alfie is basically getting the *beep* kicked out of him this season). One Bolton man has the others yank his trousers down for some quality rape time, when “Boy” reappears, killing all four men with arrows. The last man to die whispers, “You little bastard…” before he keels over.

Ramsay and Theon flee into some sort of underground tunnel; all this time Ramsay has been getting Theon to tell him about the details of taking Winterfell–and Theon finally spills the truth about the miller’s sons, as well as the fact that he doesn’t know where Bran and Rickon are. Ramsay gets a rather intent look on his face, leads Theon around a corner… and right back into the room with the rack. They basiacally went in a circle. “Boy” reveals he is part of the deception and accuses Theon of killing the four men. They tie Theon to the rack again as he screams in horror.

I have said before that I think this may be one of the weakest arcs of the season, and while that may seem to be an insult, it’s not. The season as a whole is VERY good, so if I’m forced to choose the least shiny diamond out of a pile of diamonds, it will be the one I have the most questions about. I still enjoyed it for what it was. I’m not sure how much Theon torture show-only watchers can handle. I guess we’ll see!

Makes me think some of Ramsay's men may pursue Bran and Rickon this season.

Something I saw online about Theon's scenes in the first four episodes. Massive spoilers, obviously:

Makes me think some of Ramsay's men may pursue Bran and Rickon this season.

Season 3 Spoilers
Sounds good to me, and relatively in line with what I thought was going to happen. Kind of hate myself for reading that though, as a book reader, it's obviously one of the arcs where we don't really know what to expect this season.

Trasher

Just bought a case of the Iron Throne beer earlier today. Whoops!

It finally made its way out here to the west coast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom