• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pro Reviews (December 2004) Jak 3 > R&C 3

TTP said:
It is not unfortunately. It's not horrible at all, but the franchise is just not 60fps anymore. ND seems to have gone the "add more details even if that means 30fps" way. That's ok I guess. It is still playable but I prefer the silk smooth frame rate of R&C3 (and, let me add, the incredible amount of polygons and ZOE2 level special effects it throws around with aplomb).

I've got both review codes so I'm not basing my comments on vids nor demos. Admittedly, I've finished R&C3 already and have yet to go deeper in Jak 3, but the Insomniac title impressed me the most both technically and gameplay wise.

You know what, I've heard exactly the inverse concerning R&C3. The framerate appears to be worse in R&C3 than Jak 3. Are you sure of what you're claiming?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Absolutely.

Edit: btw dont think I'm biased over one of the two franchises. I love both (played both) and I love both Insomniac and Naughty Dog.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't work for any website. Italian print mag editor here.

R&C3 online: I think it's great. Didnt play it a lot due to some time constrains (journo server availability and such) but I liket the Assoult mode (expecially the Attrition variation). Basically it's the UT2004 Onslaught mode (two opposing bases and nodes to conquer in between) made "cartooney".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Littleberu said:
WELL I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! ;)

What website do you work for btw? And how's R&C3 online?

What? What the hell has you convinced that Jak 3 has a better framerate than R&C3? The demos alone reveal that to not be the case...

Jak 3's demo has a hard time holding 60 fps while R&C3 basically never drops from it.

dark10x said:
What? What the hell has you convinced that Jak 3 has a better framerate than R&C3? The demos alone reveal that to not be the case...

Jak 3's demo has a hard time holding 60 fps while R&C3 basically never drops from it.

Huh. R&C3 drops a lot more than R&C2 used to, and that says a lot.

dark10x

Littleberu said:

In comparison to Jak 3, however, the drops are almost non-existant. Jak 3 rarely runs at a constant 60 fps.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Littleberu said:
Says a lot about what? That you were never inclined to give an R&C game a chance over a J&D game?

dark10x

Wario64 said:
At least Jak 3 has bumpmapping!

You sure about that? I don't see the PS2 doing any sort of significant bump mapping...especially in such an otherwise demanding game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/526/526163p1.html

"We've made a lot of technical improvements," added Wells before loading up one of the new vehicular levels. "We added all sorts of things to make it look and run better than Jak II did. Cloth dynamics, rag doll physics, bump mapping, and a lot less clipping should put it up there with all the other big games in terms of its presentation." And presentation it has. In the time we spent with it, Jak 3 had plenty of impressive looking aspects to it; from the vast openness of its levels to its sharply improved character models, it's still a very pretty looking game.

dark10x

I bet that it will be limited to very small surfaces and objects and may even be on par with Twin Snakes bumpmapping (that is, completely missing). :p

We'll see, though...

If anyone can pull that off on the PS2, it would be ND...

Top Bottom