• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Zero...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dont think so, they just confimed that it wasn't that music (Funkydilla it was called i believe) game they announced for all platforms.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
There was a deliberately "leaked" memo about the game on their webpage when it first came up a few years back that made it seem like some kind of action game (i.e., third-perosn or FPS). The memo also made a reference to the elimination of "boring" collecting, or something like that (IIRC), which at that time was still a sore point to many gamers after enduring the likes of DK64.

Other than that, nobody really knows anything.

Gchaime

Who the hell pays for zoonami? They been around since God knows when, and they haven't produced anything so far.

Game Zero is probably funded by Nintendo, and at last we heard, Funkydilla was publisherless, but is supposed to hit this year.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
ToyMachine228 said:
Game Zero is probably funded by Nintendo, and at last we heard, Funkydilla was publisherless, but is supposed to hit this year.
Nintendo may have some kind of stake in them, but they've been shy about directly funding/buying outside companies lately, so I doubt they're too involved with Zoonami. Martin Hollis does have an affinity for Nintendo, though.

As for who is funding them, that's a good question. Maybe Martin Hollis and a few of his friends are footing the bill for the time being?

Lukas

Banned
rofl wasnt zoonami suppose to be the savior the cube with game zero?

i completely forgot about them and game zero

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lukas said:

i completely forgot about them and game zero
I don't know of anyone who ever believed Zoonami was going to be the "savior" of the GameCube. If they did, they're an idiot for placing enormous stock in an unproven company's game that has never had any details known about it.

Personally, I was always intrigued to see what it was, as Martin Hollis was one of the people at Rare I followed and liked, but I'm not going to cry if nothing ever comes of it.

ge-man

Lukas said:

Only for foolish fanboys. The rest of us were cautious enough to realize that one game or company alone cannot save a system.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The last rumor I heard about GZ was that it was not a FPS at all but rather a platformer of some kind. I don't think it will ever see the light of day. Zoonami is too understaffed.

Lukas said:

No. And thanks for adding so much to this thread.

Dumb Posts Remaining Before Ban: 0 ???

Edit: Dumb Posts Remaining Before Ban: 0.5432

Lukas

Banned
all i know is cube boys kept saying how Rares best people that made perfect dark and goldeneye are at zoonami right now and game zero is gonna be incredible

cja

Edge interviewed Hollis and had a feature on Zoonami a couple of months ago. They're more a small prototyping team than anything else, seven employees working on three or four ideas. Hollis said people would have to be very patient regarding the more obvious and bigger projects planned. I'd assume once Game Zero gets to the production stage Zoonami will pass most of the coding and creating of art assets to a bigger group e.g. NST if they're dealing with Nintendo.

Hollis has stated that Game Zero is a long term project, so he doesn't want to talk now, and get everyone hyped up so early. Taking this into account, Game Zero might be a next-gen game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I remember awhile back (on the old board) someone uncovered a Zoonami (or perhaps Nintendo) patent for some new kinda texture technique. I think it was registered under Hollis' name. The speculation for the time was that it was going to be used in Game Zero. Maybe someone can find it?

Chrono

Banned
I have high hopes for Game Zero.

Several times IgnCube said that the developers are trying "new things" and that the game won't be like most fps or adventure games if I remember correctly.

Lukas said:
all i know is cube boys kept saying how Rares best people that made perfect dark and goldeneye are at zoonami right now and game zero is gonna be incredible

wrong again, theres only one ex rare dude that works at zoonami

Justin Bailey

------ ------
MrPing1000 said:
wrong again, theres only one ex rare dude that works at zoonami
Two actually, aside from Hollis, they also have a guy that was an artisit on conker's bad fur day. There's also an ex-MS employee, too. So maybe it's 2 1/2.

Shiggy

Justin Bailey said:
Two actually, aside from Hollis, they also have a guy that was an artisit on conker's bad fur day. There's also an ex-MS employee, too. So maybe it's 2 1/2.

Yes, that was Edward Sludden. I looked it up here: archive.org
But in the last update he disappeared :(

ToyMachine228 said:
human5892 said:
Nintendo may have some kind of stake in them, but they've been shy about directly funding/buying outside companies lately, so I doubt they're too involved with Zoonami. Martin Hollis does have an affinity for Nintendo, though.

As for who is funding them, that's a good question. Maybe Martin Hollis and a few of his friends are footing the bill for the time being?
While buying a stake in the company would seem different from what Nintendo's been doing of late, they obviously have no qualms with funding specific games from third parties. Oracles, Konga, GX/AX, and so on. One large game deal from one large publisher could give them a pretty penny.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah Nintendo registered the patent with Martin Hollis' name tied to it...What does that tell you?

Not really anything, depending on when the patent was registed. Hollis worked for NTD after Rare, so the patent could have been from then.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
gofreak said:
Not really anything, depending on when the patent was registed. Hollis worked for NTD after Rare, so the patent could have been from then.

Im pretty sure this was the case.

Top Bottom