• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube demo disk impressions - Anyone not played it yet? I have your answers.

Speevy

Banned
Mario Tennis, in particular, is the best looking tennis game ever. It's also very fun.

Baten Kaitos is standard and uninspiring.

Metroid Prime Echoes looks amazing. Graphics are awesome.

RE4 controls surprisingly well.

Ask questions about these games, and I'll try to answer them. I'm sure many of you have played it already, so this is a good thread to put those impressions together.

I didn't play Mario Party 6.

Speevy

Banned
AirBrian said:
Could you expand on Mario Tennis please?

Absolutely. It plays similarly to Mario Tennis 64. Animations are very entertaining, and yet can get annoying. (so you can turn them off) Difficulty's not too great. I set it on the hardest level and gave the computer quite a match, though I still lost. Graphics are easily better than Top Spin except in the area of shadows. Character models specifically are amazing looking, also courts are extremely detailed. I can't even believe this is the same developer behind Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.

It's fun, fluid, and very frantic. Pick it up. Your friends will thank you.

Speevy

Banned
human5892 said:
Seconded.

Also, play Mario Party 6, then tell us about it.

I don't really get what's so different about Mario Party 6 except for the fact that you scream into a microphone on some minigames.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
After playing the RE4 demo, I'm anticipating the game even more. Looks great, although it's gonna take me a little while to get used to that control scheme and camera angle (although I think they both work well for the game).

AirBrian

Speevy said:
Absolutely. It plays similarly to Mario Tennis 64. Animations are very entertaining, and yet can get annoying. (so you can turn them off) Difficulty's not too great. I set it on the hardest level and gave the computer quite a match, though I still lost. Graphics are easily better than Top Spin except in the area of shadows. Character models specifically are amazing looking, also courts are extremely detailed. I can't even believe this is the same developer behind Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.

It's fun, fluid, and very frantic. Pick it up. Your friends will thank you.
Thanks! :)

How's the camera?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Speevy said:
I don't really get what's so different about Mario Party 6 except for the fact that you scream into a microphone on some minigames.
Well, the microphone aside, I'm wondering about the quality of the minigames in general, as well as the boards, game mechanics, etc. -- really, all of the variables of the Mario Party series.

Thanks for the Mario Tennis impressions -- sounds like a winner.

Mario Power Tennis does look pretty close to getting the Nintendo character models to look about on par with the CGI artwork Nintendo uses on their boxes.

Spike

Thanks for the impressions, seeing that Canada is always behind the times when it comes to the kiosk discs.

Is the MP2:E demo the same as the free bonus disk one or different levels?

Speevy

Banned
I never played the MPE bonus disk, so I couldn't answer that question.

And RE4 looks pretty awesome graphically. You've seen the videos, so I really don't need to describe it to you.

Speevy said:
I never played the MPE bonus disk, so I couldn't answer that question.

And RE4 looks pretty awesome graphically. You've seen the videos, so I really don't need to describe it to you.

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20040819101240452.jpg

Did it start like this?

Speevy

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20040819101240452.jpg

Did it start like this?

It started with "Mission whatever" and I fast-forwarded through that because I wanted to play. Then you were in front of some doors with some sort of crystallized webs surrounding them. I shot a few enemies, tried out a few weapons, and then went down an elevator.

Mashing

I've never been a fan of having RPGs in demo kiosks... you can't play them long enough to get a grasp of what they offer.

I can't wait to play BK.... looks awesome

Speevy

Banned
BlackSalad said:
can you expand a bit on MP2? Like the good/bad differences from MP 1? :D

Not really. The scanning is much more streamlined, but you could have read that on IGN. The graphics were what impressed me.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Speevy said:
RE4 controls surprisingly well.

if akwardly is well. I especially like how he rounds a corner in the path (that you can't leave for the most part - invisible walls!) and the camera akwardly gapes at the area just above his head even though you're turning to the left. Pan down? About a foot, uselessly. Cinematic!

I do really like the dark design of the environment, it's too bad your so hemmed in. It's a little offputting how your character walks and the plants move right through him as well. And the physics are a bit wacky. Head shot to the non/zombie and sometimes they fly akwardly off the ground for several feet like boneless henchmen.

Still, the mood is excellent. You can't help but wonder what's going on in the interconnected town...or at least I couldn't. Something dark and satanic indeed. I suppose you'll be figuring that out as your struck from behind by enemies you can't see until their an inch or two away. He's a world beater, but he has no peripheral vision.

Speevy

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
if akwardly is well. .

On a scale from REMake to Nintendo, the game scores a 5 in my book. It's tolerable, which is the best we can hope for from the series I think.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Speevy: you didn't like REMake's controls? I thought on Type C they were more than sufficient for that type of game.

SyNapSe

human5892 said:
Speevy: you didn't like REMake's controls? I thought on Type C they were more than sufficient for that type of game.

what WHAT? Worst controls EVER, literally. RE:0 I literally played for 15 minutes and quit and sold the game back to EB

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still need to collect disc 17, and 19/20/21/22 are already out.

Any other GC Demo Disc collectors here?

Bishman

DavidDayton said:
I still need to collect disc 17, and 19/20/21/22 are already out.

Any other GC Demo Disc collectors here?

I just found out that EB gives away the demo disk, since they can't sell them. :lol

I'm so late.

Spike

SyNapSe said:
what WHAT? Worst controls EVER, literally. RE:0 I literally played for 15 minutes and quit and sold the game back to EB

Read the post again. He said RE1 remake. The Type C controls were good. That layout wasn't included in RE0.

Top Bottom