• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that rated highly but didn't sell well...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
ZOE2
Psi-Ops
The Suffering (did it?)
Any Sega title w/ only a few exceptions. (sad but true)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Doom_Bringer said:
All the games listed so far are awesome. Except for Mark of Kri, I haven't played that yet.

Problem is, only the ones listed by Phatsaqs are near the 90 range when averaged out on Gamerankings... :S

Meier

PGR2 has sold about 33% of the original. It's bombed for all intents and purposes. Prince of Persia though is probably not a very good title to list. It didnt sell gangbusters, but it's done moderately well.

As far as US sales go, both Wario Ware GC and GBA (moderate success in the US for the GBA version, but nowhere near what it deserves or did in Japan). Also, Sega Soccer Slam and Beach Spikers were good arcadey fun titles that did not do very well.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
PoP selling badly is a bit of a fallacy, isn't it? After four months it had sold over 1m units, which isn't band for a brand 'reset' with little-to-no installed knowledge against non-'hardcore' gaming consumers.

Here's another game that even most of the peeps on GAF didn't buy:

Combat Mission: Berlin to Barbarossa

It's for the hardest of the hardcore.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
PGR2 still has a year or two of solid sales at the greatest hits price point, so it should surpass 60% of of the original's sales when all is said and done, imo, and that ain't bad.

I actually think Prince of Persia went on to sell rather well, didn't it?

Plus ED sold like 300,000 copies in America... I don't think that's too bad, although it performed awfully elsewhere.

Soul4ger

Semjaza Azazel said:
I actually think Prince of Persia went on to sell rather well, didn't it?

Plus ED sold like 300,000 copies in America... I don't think that's too bad, although it performed awfully elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure PoP went on to sell quite well after the holidays. Not as well as some people would indicate that it deserved, but respectable.

CrisKre

You cannot stress ICO enough. VJ should have sold better, also.

Personally, PN03 was a really good game in my book *runs for cover*

Soul4ger

LakeEarth said:
One week, Demon's Crest had more people return the game then buy the game :(

Heh. I remember reading that in the Nintendo Power when they rated their Top 100 games (on Nintendo hardware, of course). Demon's Crest was like 91 or 92, wasn't it?

LakeEarth

Soul4ger said:
Heh. I remember reading that in the Nintendo Power when they rated their Top 100 games (on Nintendo hardware, of course). Demon's Crest was like 91 or 92, wasn't it?

I think in the 80's, but I haven't seen that mag in ages.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Soul4ger said:
...CIMA didn't get reviewed well. And rightfully so.

Well, it rated highly in *MY* book... I thought it was an interesting idea, certainly different from generic shit coming out.

People seem to love taking what reviewers say to heart. I've already been burned enough times with shit because I've listened to them (Kingdom Hearts being a perfect example), so I just buy what I think I might like. It works out a lot better.

Ambience

Banned
LakeEarth said:
One week, Demon's Crest had more people return the game then buy the game :(

Wow, that's fucking sad.
Video games and music are kind of similar, in that the majority of people like shitty shit shit shit.

Top Bottom