• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Pathway to Glory (ngage) likely to be best mobile action/strategy game ever

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pretty extensive hands-on impressions in GameSpot. Sorry if old.

http://www.gamespot.com/ngage/strategy/pathwaytoglory/preview_6103827.html

The latest preview build of Pathway to Glory, Nokia's huge WWII turn-based strategy game, offers only one playable single-player level and a lone multiplayer map. However, even this tiny demonstration was enough to make it clear that Pathway is evolving into what will likely be the best mobile action/strategy game ever made. Nokia has made a number of subtle changes to Pathway's gameplay mix that add depth to an already detail-laden game, even while maintaining the playability level necessary to make such a complicated experience feasible for the N-Gage. This preview build of Pathway also provides some fresh insight into how Nokia is positioning the game's inventory and character development systems to maximize strategic flexibility and replay value.

According to Nokia, soldiers' abilities will change as they gain experience, kills, and promotions. It's impossible to determine the extent of this evolution over the course of a full campaign in the abbreviated version we played, but we noticed that particularly successful soldiers did indeed receive higher ranks at the end of the single-player mission. Equipping your band of brothers also plays a large role in Pathway: Depending on the mission and your soldiers' abilities, you have your pick from a large array of accoutrement, including rifles, pistols, sub machine guns, various types of grenades, antitank missiles, medkits, and radios. You can keep burdening soldiers with equipment if you like, but every weight increase drops their available action points precipitously during combat.

If it can deliver the first interactive Arena multiplayer experience for N-Gage in the guise of Pathway's superior design, it will surely be the platform's first killer application

918791_20040512_screen002.jpg

918791_20040512_screen003.jpg

Online strategy, yep.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That looks very good! It's games like this that I want to see at the American Nintendo DS software unveiling in a few days. It looks like ngage could finally have it's first great title.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The problem is, it may be too little, too late. Especially when compared to the sheer amount of quality strategy games on the GBA, and, most likely upcoming in the DS.

Teddman

I actually attended Nokia's E3 press conference (nice open bar, near eFocus too) and they were really hyping up Pathway to Glory. Got a nice cameoflage logo backpack giveaway.

One of the unintentionally funny moments in the presentation involved them showing how they used real-world references for the buildings in the game: they'd show live action footage of a huge WWII style bunker, and then disolve to in-game footage of the little sprite equivalents. Ditto for the war costumes, weapons, vehicles, etc. How much of this detail is going to show on a little N-Gage screen, I wondered?

The game played alright at the press conference for the few minutes I picked it up. Struck me as a more realistic version of Cannon Fodder. Don't know if I'd buy an N-Gage for it though...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Reminds me of the Palm OS game Warfare, Inc., and I bet Warfare is better. :p

Top Bottom