• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Age Beatdowns - Official thread of guys beating on their sticks

Grifter

Awesome OP, Kadey! The avatars are a great touch.

Also, mucho thanks to Flek for our hot banner.

FYI, I now have a few emergency family trips in the coming weeks but they shouldn't get in the way of matches. Just letting folks know in case.

black_vegeta said:
Alright, I'm not really feeling playing someone that's outside the US.

Laggy ass matches are not cool. :/

I was hoping we'd sidestep this team too. I had my worst connection with gutabo and his character gets so much better in lag. I get that it's luck of the draw in an international tourney, just chiming in to agree with my mate!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
First is the worst, thank you mod for fixing the thread. If I could, I'd give you something.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Glad everybody liked it.

A few things,

Mains and secondary characters by next Wednesday. This will be updated in the OP.

Next Friday is the start of the tourney. Before everybody plays their matches, it would be really helpful to me if teams chose a designated video capture person to do so and have matches uploaded to YT. Match videos will be posted in their respective post. Prelims of course, will have countless videos.

Practice, practice, practice. I am going to show thousands of people fight videos and perhaps even a few celebs. Do your best!

Everybody have fun. Trash talking and confidence is encouraged. :D

Kadey said:

Practice, practice, practice. I am going to show thousands of people fight videos and perhaps even a few celebs. Do your best!

Everybody have fun. Trash talking and confidence is encouraged. :D

Oh shit, my scrubby ass Honda will be seen by the masses :lol :lol

Nikashi

Banned
Getting a little concerned about one of my teammates, they won't respond to any invites or messages on XBL even though I can see they're inbetween games :/

Nikashi said:
Getting a little concerned about one of my teammates, they won't respond to any invites or messages on XBL even though I can see they're inbetween games :/
That's messed up. If he doesn't come through I'm sure a more than qualified Gaffer will take his spot.

Good luck

Nikashi

Banned
black_vegeta said:
That's messed up. If he doesn't come through I'm sure a more than qualified Gaffer will take his spot.

Good luck

I don't 100% blame them, I blame Halo Reach Beta :p

Ronabo

Kadey, a couple of questions I didn't see the answers to in the OP.

What constitutes a "set"?

And is this tourney single elimination or double?

Thanks for setting this up.

<3

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A set meaning a full run of a team's players losing. It's just like regular team tourney rules.
Each game consists of two sets, first team to win so. Best out of three basically.

Nika, about your team mate. He doesn't seem active on GAF yet alone the SSFIV thread. I can't stand people given opportunities and they waste it away. 400+ people wanted to be in this. You can message him that if he doesn't respond in 2 hours and give the go that he's still in this, I'm going to DQ him and find a replacement immediately. And he won't ever get to join another tourney or anything run by me.
Unfortunately, you guys will have to update your banner. Just ask Flek for that, I'm pretty sure he can fix in a couple of minutes if it gets to that point.

Nikashi

Banned
Hey, I don't wanna get him kicked out or anything, just voicing frustration here, it's 7 days till the tourney, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now... kinda hoping he's reading the thread >_>

Ronabo

Kadey said:
A set meaning a full run of a team's players losing. It's just like regular team tourney rules.
Each game consists of two sets, first team to win so. Best out of three basically.

Yeah, I understand that. But is a set 2 out of 3 rounds, or 3 out of 5?

And still didn't answer the single or double elim question.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll update the OP. All games are best out of three rounds. Prelims and semis are single elimination while finals and grand finals are double eliminations. I'm trying to cut down on the amount of videos people will watch for the first two and trying to even out things a bit with the latter two.

Nika. It's understandable if he can't make it or whatever but at least he should respond to you. These seven days can be used for practice. Many other teams are already training and playing like crazy. Remember that his absence means an automatically loss for your team and a win for the other. It will just be you two remaining players playing whatever two other players the other team decides.

Kadey said:
I'll update the OP. All games are best out of three rounds. Prelims and semis are single elimination while finals and grand finals are double eliminations. I'm trying to cut down on the amount of videos people will watch for the first two and trying to even out things a bit with the latter two.

Nika. It's understandable if he can't make it or whatever but at least he should respond to you. These seven days can be used for practice. Many other teams are already training and playing like crazy. Remember that his absence means an automatically loss for your team and a win for the other. It will just be you two remaining players playing whatever two other players the other team decides.

Shouldn't their two still have to beat all 3 players? That's how Team Battle works on SSFIV, anyway.

Nikashi

Banned
God's Beard said:
Shouldn't their two still have to beat all 3 players? That's how Team Battle works on SSFIV, anyway.

Heyhey stop getting ahead of yourself just because you're our first matchup ;D

I PMed him, if I don't hear back by the end of the day we'll replace or something, he's logged in now so I don't know what's going on. Drohne HAS gotten in touch with me through XBL, I was just doing something where I couldn't join his game, and I sent him a message explaining.

Nikashi said:
Heyhey stop getting ahead of yourself just because you're our first matchup ;D

I PMed him, if I don't hear back by the end of the day we'll replace or something, he's logged in now so I don't know what's going on. Drohne HAS gotten in touch with me through XBL, I was just doing something where I couldn't join his game, and I sent him a message explaining.

Well, it makes me warm inside to know that our first opponents have such poor teamwork. :D

Nikashi

Banned
God's Beard said:
Well, it makes me warm inside to know that our first opponents have such poor teamwork. :D

Hey, the Dan on our team is ME and I'm not going anywhere, so you best watch where you be stepping so you don't get a faceful o'dat SAIKYO!

HAOH

GADOKEN!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! *gets blown back*

Nikashi said:
Hey, the Dan on our team is ME and I'm not going anywhere, so you best watch where you be stepping so you don't get a faceful o'dat SAIKYO!

HAOH

GADOKEN!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! *gets blown back*

My Dan beat a guy that beat Chris Hu, so objectively speaking, that makes me about as strong as Flash Metroid or Danford. Still, I'd feel bad OCVing you guys with your own mascot, so maybe I'll play it slow and use my rushdown Dhalsim. :D

Nikashi

Banned
God's Beard said:
My Dan has 0 BP because I don't want people learning my secret techniques. Dan is all about surprise attacks and mind games.

And Taunts. Lots and lots of Taunts.

PROTIP : DAN CAN TAUNT THE WING OFF THE PLANE IN THE AFRICA AIRFIELD STAGE :D

Kadey said:

Can't wait to get put on blast for my scrubbiness. Dropping links ftw

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tourney characters by Wednesday!

Get all your teams on making the selection. I want to know by then.

hey guys let's do some preliminary battles throughout the week. I desperately need the practice.....all my finals and shit has kept me from playing SSFIV as much as I wanted to last week :-?

add me Jenova777

Pandaman, I'll try to hit u and gutter trash up for some matches on PSN this week

I just realized that I am about to hit my Live friend's limit. I need to delete some people that don't play anymore.

Team 8: TACT o MEP

Main: Cammy
Secondary: Dee Jay

And just to be clear on the matches, it's best of three sets for

Player 1A vs Player 2A
Player 1B vs Player 2B
Player 1C vs Player 2C

without recycling (ie everybody only plays one opponent in each set)? Basically the team that had two players win their matches wins that set?

Or is it going to be in the style that SSF4's online team battle is currently set up?

fubarduck

Killa Sasa said:

Player 1A vs Player 2A
Player 1B vs Player 2B
Player 1C vs Player 2C

without recycling (ie everybody only plays one opponent in each set)? Basically the team that had two players win their matches wins that set?

Or is it going to be in the style that SSF4's online team battle is currently set up?

I believe it's been stated that the online team battle mode is being used for the matches, so it would be elimination/knock-off/Pokemon style. (2/3 of that)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Team 15 (Yatta!)

Adon/Dhalsim (teammates pls let me know if that conflicts with any of your choices :lol )

Question: Are we required to stick with the same character throughout a set or can we switch around? For example, I beat Opponent 1 with Dhalsim and want to change to Adon in my match against Opponent 2. I'm assuming it'll at least be ok to switch characters at the start of a new set?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
@killa sasa:
i thought we were doing it wherein the winner of set A goes to the back as player D.
so for example a reverse ocv would look like:
A wins
B wins
C loses
A loses
B loses.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Fubar has it right.

First two decided players on each team plays, winner stays put and plays another player on the other team, etc until a team is defeated. A new set starts and you can change the order of your teams again.

You can exchange your main and secondary characters any time between matches. That's why it's strategic to make sure you have characters that are fit for certain match ups.

9 people have chosen their characters. 39 to go!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Killa Sasa said:
Team 8: TACT o MEP

Main: Cammy
Secondary: Dee Jay

Player 1A vs Player 2A
Player 1B vs Player 2B
Player 1C vs Player 2C

Ohhh shit. Sasa has an awesome Cammy

SRK Cammy whooooo!!!! :)

RS4-

Team 15 - Yatta!

Main - Dudley
Alt - uhh, Ryu (unless Spaniard uses Ryu, I'll stick with Dudley through the whole tournament)

Top Bottom