• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming on a Mac |OT| App Store, Steam and other downloadables

Ever since the launch of the Mac App store, we've been seeing more and more games being released on the Mac. With the recent releases of games like the Grand Theft Auto III trilogy and Dirt 2 on the App store, it seems like the speed of releases has really ramped up. To keep up with new releases and to be able to share experiences I decided to create this thread. (I was also the creator of the original Steam OT and that seems to have taken off incredibly well).

Recent Notable Releases

Grand Theft Auto III - € 11,99 / £ 10.49 / $14.99
Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id424714589?mt=12

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - € 11,99 / £ 10.49 / $14.99
Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-vice-city/id424719511?mt=12

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - € 11,99 / £ 10.49 / $14.99
Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas/id424725622?mt=12

Sid Meier's Civilization V - Currently € 29,99 / $37.99
Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/civilization-v-campaign-edition/id439924718?mt=12
Steam (currently € 12,50): http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/

Colin McRae: DiRT 2 - € 31,99 / $39.99
Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colin-mcrae-dirt-2/id426942474?mt=12

EDGE - € 6,99
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/38740/

Platforms

Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/
Mac App Store - http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/
OnLive - Official Thread - Website

To Do
- Add more releases
- Add more platforms
- Add header images

So, are you all as excited about Mac Gaming finally seeming to be taken seriously?

Ninja Dom

Yeah I game on a "limited edition" aluminium MacBook. Team Fortress 2, baby!

You can see me on the NeoGAF TF2 server wearing my White earbuds.

Are there any genuinely good games up on the Mac App store? Preferably games that aren't available on Windows. I've been running Win 7 for everything but audio production on my iMac and really would like to have at least some more reasons to boot up OS X now and again.

V_Ben

Banned
Trouble with Mac ports of existing games is that when they eventually come out, they cost far more than the windows counterparts do. At least steam play rectifies that, but you barely see worthwhile sales on the mac app store.

Wallach

DiRT 2 for $40? Haha, what.

Dungeons of Dredmor is only on Steam at the moment but is awesome so you should put it up there.

TUSR

Banned
User33 said:
Mac gaming is certainly better than you would expect. A lot of big hits that you wouldn't expect to be on it are now available like BioShock, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and COD 4.
And they're cheaper/est on Steam!

TyrantGuardian said:
Are there any genuinely good games up on the Mac App store? Preferably games that aren't available on Windows. I've been running Win 7 for everything but audio production on my iMac and really would like to have at least some more reasons to boot up OS X now and again.
Well I'd say there aren't that many exclusives as there just genuinely good games that are ported or released simultaneously like DiRT 2, Team Fortress 2 and Civ V.

Wallach said:
DiRT 2 for $40? Haha, what.

Dungeons of Dredmor is only on Steam at the moment but is awesome so you should put it up there.
I'll add it to the list tomorrow (it's way too late for me now, gotta get to bed).

If any of you have any suggestions, please feel free to name them, I will add them tomorrow.

I run all my games in bootcamp on my Macbook Pro. I hate windows, but if you only use it to game, there's no problem. It's incredible how much games this thing can handle. "You can't game on a mac!" Bullshit.

good idea for a thread, subscribed

Cave Story+ came out on the mac app store today

mzi.lrmkuurj.175x175-75.png

mzl.bvdqivkf.800x500-75.jpg

Shurs

eravulgaris said:
I run all my games in bootcamp on my Macbook Pro. I hate windows, but if you only use it to game, there's no problem. It's incredible how much games this thing can handle. "You can't game on a mac!" Bullshit.

I do the same.

Surfheart

Anyone pick up GTA San Andreas?

It runs great maxed out except for every 10 seconds or so it will pause momentarily, very annoying.

I've tried dropping settings to the absolute minimum and it makes no difference.

I'm running this on a 2010 2.4 i5 MacBook Pro with Lion.

celebi23

Popstar said:
This probably a good thread to mention Boxer in. http://boxerapp.com/

It's an OS X-ified version of DosBox. So if you have any old DOS games sitting around this is a great way to play them on OS X. Unfortunately GOG.com seems to package it's DOS games as executable installers so you'll need Windows in some form if you want to get stuff from there into it.

I recently set it up with the contents of my Ultima Collection CD and it works wonderfully.
Great suggestion. I've been using Boxer for awhile. It makes DOSBox so damn easy to use. It automatically mounts cd images/ floppy images.

Adam J.

I'd like do start doing more gaming on my iMac. Anyone know if it's possible to get my DualShock 3 working on it? I want to get Binding Of Issak (sp?) when it comes out this month but don't want to play with kb..

User33 said:
I saw that Dragon Age wasn't on Steam, but it was on Gamersgate, etc. Wonder why that is...

Yeah, wondering if they'll ever make it Steamplay. I own the Windows version of the Ultimate Edition (that I haven't gotten around to installing yet even). It would be nice to have a Mac version too via Steam.

Kusagari

I just got a mac recently and I have a question about bootcamp. Do you need the disc or can you just download it from MS's website? I could get the download cheap as a student.

Kyon

Banned
im a complete newbie to mac gaming, but can it really play steam games? cause i know a lot of games arent mac compatible and i want to edit videos and use itunes etc, what is the best mac laptop to get for gaming?

ajf009

V_Ben said:
Trouble with Mac ports of existing games is that when they eventually come out, they cost far more than the windows counterparts do. At least steam play rectifies that, but you barely see worthwhile sales on the mac app store.

so much this.. If every game werent so expensive i would love it.

Munin

Popstar said:
This probably a good thread to mention Boxer in. http://boxerapp.com/

It's an OS X-ified version of DosBox. So if you have any old DOS games sitting around this is a great way to play them on OS X. Unfortunately GOG.com seems to package it's DOS games as executable installers so you'll need Windows in some form if you want to get stuff from there into it.

I recently set it up with the contents of my Ultima Collection CD and it works wonderfully.

One of the few reasons why I haven't switched back to Windows. Boxer blows all Windows frontends out of the water. It's almost like you are playing these games natively, that is, if DOS developers 15 years ago had had the design sensibilities of OSX applications.

Single best piece of gaming software for Mac.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Yeah, wondering if they'll ever make it Steamplay. I own the Windows version of the Ultimate Edition (that I haven't gotten around to installing yet even). It would be nice to have a Mac version too via Steam.

Your CD key will work with the mac version. You just have to download the game.

Kyon said:
im a complete newbie to mac gaming, but can it really play steam games? cause i know a lot of games arent mac compatible and i want to edit videos and use itunes etc, what is the best mac laptop to get for gaming?
The best ones are the most expensive ones.

Thoraxes

Oh wow, i'll probably sub this thread.
I plan on buying an MBP when they release the 2012 models. I figured why buy one now when the next ones are less than 6 months away now? I'll be going in for the entry-level 13" MBP which i've read everywhere is actually a step back as far as graphics performance goes.

I'm not using it totally for gaming (I built a PC for that), but it would be nice if it was at least competent, or moreso than the previous year's model.

For games that are both on the app store and on Steam (which can be played with a Windows Partition), which versions tend to be better? Also, how hard is it to install Bootcamp?

SteveWD40

I caved in the end and went back to bootcamp, after the initial "omg!" of Steam for OSX it really fizzled out imho, that and some games (TF2 I am glaring at you) ran like ass on the OSX native version compared to Windows, some issues with drivers, not sure if it's fixed.

I would love to do all my gaming on OSX, I don't play a hell of a lot but there always seems to be something that won't get ported that pulls me back (Skyrim, BF3, GW2) and the pricing on OSX versions is mental, Aspyr who do many of the ports are still asking for £40 for COD4 from their DD store ffs.

On the hardware front though, the myth macs are not for games is bullshit if you get the right one, the old 9400m in the 2008 MB was pretty good for it's day, not sure what the new ones are like but the iMac's are competent, only the self-build over-clockers would find it problematic.

fabprems

wilflare said:
we're missing out on onlive again :D
www.onlive.com. cloud gaming, play Windows Games on yer Mac!

QFT !
I've installed OnLive last week and it works pretty well on my iMac ! I've tried Just Cause 2, Kane & Lynch 2, AC Brotherhood, Batman AA... The only game that didn't work well was Dirt 3, too fast for my connection I guess...

Anyway, Onlive open a pretty sweet window on gaming for mac users, with simultaneous release of AAA games.

cuyahoga said:
Why do these two versions have two different distributors?
Steam doesn't allow versions of the same SteamPlay game by different publishers, so that means games ported to Mac by porting houses either aren't allowed, or in the case of Civ 5, have to be published by their PC publisher.

krYlon

All of these games are available on Mac App Store:

Braid
And Yet it Moves
VVVVVV
Machinarium £6.99
KOTOR £10.49
Monkey Island SE £4.99
Trine £6.99
Bit.Trip Beat £2.99
Puzzle Quest £2.99

I don't know what the prices for Braid, AYiM and VVVVVV are now, but they were all cheaper than Steam when I bought them.
It's worth keeping a look out because they do often have price cuts, and can be cheaper than Steam.

krYlon

Some other notables on Mac App Store:

Plants vs Zombies £6.99
World of Goo £6.99
Samorost 2 £1.99
Zen Bound 2 £2.99
Jedi Knight 2 £10.49
Osmos £6.99
X3 £13.99
Galcon Fusion £1.49

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I recently snagged Avadon: The Black Fortress on the App store. Quite solid for a 90's era CRPG throwback(never played previous Spiderweb games). It is also available on Steam.

100602-avadon-1.jpg
100602-avadon-2.jpg

Also picked up Eschalon Book 1 and 2. Solid Rogue-likes that take on a more traditional open-world quest structure(rather than pure dungeon hacking). Both available on Steam or App Store, though at the moment I recommend the Mac App Store as the Steam version has compatibility issues with OSX Lion. (A patch is underway to fix this, but currently not up yet).

eb2_screen_072590b.jpg
eb2_screen7.jpg

Alts

SteveWD40 said:
I caved in the end and went back to bootcamp, after the initial "omg!" of Steam for OSX it really fizzled out imho, that and some games (TF2 I am glaring at you) ran like ass on the OSX native version compared to Windows, some issues with drivers, not sure if it's fixed.

I would love to do all my gaming on OSX, I don't play a hell of a lot but there always seems to be something that won't get ported that pulls me back (Skyrim, BF3, GW2) and the pricing on OSX versions is mental, Aspyr who do many of the ports are still asking for £40 for COD4 from their DD store ffs.

On the hardware front though, the myth macs are not for games is bullshit if you get the right one, the old 9400m in the 2008 MB was pretty good for it's day, not sure what the new ones are like but the iMac's are competent, only the self-build over-clockers would find it problematic.

I've been playing a lot of TF2 on my mbp (15", 2011), and it runs well. I'd give it another shot.

Top Bottom