• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming on a Mac |OT| App Store, Steam and other downloadables

Qatar

I'm giving away Civilization IV and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
both are for Mac of course, Civ IV is not steamworks, But I don't know whether Monkey Island is or not.
I'm not sure if the serial for Monkey Island is working or not as I gave it to someone about a month ago, and he told me that he didn't use it, but who knows.
I got them as a part from a Mac Apps bundle from MacUpdate, but I ended up not installing them.

quote with your game of choice

I'm giving away Civilization IV and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
both are for Mac of course, Civ IV is not steamworks, But I don't know whether Monkey Island is or not.
I'm not sure if the serial for Monkey Island is working or not as I gave it to someone about a month ago, and he told me that he didn't use it, but who knows.

Monkey Island? :D

Tucah

you speak so well
I got them as a part from a Mac Apps bundle from MacUpdate, but I ended up not installing them.

Civ IV would be wonderful.

hobart

I don't know if this is necessarily the purpose of the thread but...

Do any of you game on your Mac whilst running Windows 7 native? I've done it on my MBP before and it worked really well (it was only League of Legends and Left for Dead at the time), but I'm looking into purchasing a newer MBP beast with the intention of dual booting OSX and Win7.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience running native Win7 and gaming on their lappy.

mr_chun

The main game that I want to play on my Mac and can't is... Terarria. But it seems like the devs have absolutely no interest in developing for OSX. :(

Since this thread is here i'll leave some feedback on modern combat Domination for mac.

My 2011 mac mini can run the game at 720p, full visuals with AA between 30 and 60fps depending where I look, the game plays just like counter strike and is rather fun especially when gameloft sold it for only 69p 2 months back. Not tried it online yet and bots are rather poor.

Also I forgot cave story was out for mac, will buy it for sure as I still need to play it! can a mac use a 360 usb controller well?

Zaphod

I just spent all day yesterday playing Civ V with my friends who were over for a post Thanksgiving party. It ran pretty good on my Air and I did not run into any issues even though my friends were using Windows machines. I really like when steam games are cross platform and work on my Windows desktop and Mac laptop with out having to pay extra for it.

yonder

I got a 2010 Macbook Air, 1.8ghz, 4GB RAM, 13" – any chance it could manage Civ V? (on sale on Steam at the moment, btw) I've googled around a bit, and found a few people claiming that it was okay to good with low setting and depending on the size of the map, but opinions seem to vary.

I have a 2010 13inch MBP, I downloaded Cave Story and it's a great game but it's a pain in the ass sometimes to control and jump around and shoot.

What games can I enjoy on laptop that won't be too taxing on the system?

I've just released a new version of my game Wire Hang Redux on the Mac App Store. You can also buy it for Windows PCs via FastSpring.

Mac: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wire-hang-redux/id485354734?mt=12
PC: http://sites.fastspring.com/gingerbeardman/product/wirehangredux-windows

http://www.wirehang.com

The concept:
• Climb up the platforms, using your grappling hook.
• Do not fall off the bottom.
• Beat your own high score.

New in this version:
• Easier to control
• Changes as you climb
• Bigger game window
• Improved graphics
• Birds!
• Planes!
• A secret at the top

content

Hints:
• Pay close attention to your aiming arrow.
• Use the sides of the screen.
• Use small jumps to slow down.

History
For those that don't know the history of the game, it was originally a Java game from 1998 by a Japanese guy, Masaki Kobayashi. I learned of the game in 2004 and did a PC/Mac(non-Intel) version with Masaki's blessing (that you can still download it at my site). It proved to be very popular, being featured in magazines (remember those?) in Japan, Germany, Sweden, Czech Republic, USA and UK. The original Java version is also on the web here. Perhaps some of you will remember it?

Over 6 years later...
Since then I've had some changes on my todo list. Finally I got round to them! One of the major issues people had with my original version was that the mouse cursor is confusing, and that the aiming radar was too separate from the action meaning the game was trickier than it needed to be during play. These were valid concerns that also hampered the original Java version. Have a play of the original or my old version and you'll see what I mean.

So, I've done a new version of the game, again with Masaki's blessing. I've made it easier to "pick up" with a new unified control scheme. I've also given it a graphical overhaul, rewarding the players progress with graphical changes. If you manage to get to the top there's an extra special reward, too! I've changed the default game mode to a simple distance, just like Canabalt.

I'll be adding the original "points" mode, as well as a couple of other modes, over the coming months. Meanwhile, work continues on the iOS version.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers folks,
matt

I bought MBA 11" earlier this year, and had a little browse. Some of the more slightly older games like GTA etc. have complaints in the comments section about how it doesn't run properly on people;s machines (framerate/lag/jumpy etc.). It would be nice if there is proper, minimum system requirement info on the game pages.

So far have:

Amnesia: The Dark Decent
Portal
Portal 2
Civ IV - All versions
Civ V
Zen Bound 2
Europa Universalis III

I hate the Mac App store for games, super ripoff. Rome Total War is $30, while the PC version is $5-$9 on Steam. WTF??

I'm tempted to get Toy Story 3 for $30 on App Store though :( but then my daughter would horde my Mac

i'm days away from making this transition. will my 360 controller work on my macbook?

I don't know, but my PS3 controller works in OSX.

A 360 controller will definitely work in Windows 7 bootcamp though - which you should use for playing most games. Even though some games work on OSX (like TF2 or SC2), they still perform better in bootcamp.

krYlon

There may be a way, but I don't know how to get my wireless 360 controller to work on OSX. It just doesn't recognise it.

As said, it works perfectly on bootcamp though.

Fuchsdh

There may be a way, but I don't know how to get my wireless 360 controller to work on OSX. It just doesn't recognise it.

As said, it works perfectly on bootcamp though.

I haven't tried this but I've been meaning to see how it works for my Wired XB360 controller: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

I play my Halo on Xbox, but on Mac I've got RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and StarCraft II as the few other games I need to fill my time. I could play those guys for hours.

I appreciate the boon Steam is providing to the platform but I just dislike it immensely--it doesn't feel at home on the Mac and I hate booting up a central platform.

If you want a CS-style shooter Urban Terror's pretty good.

Karl2177

If you want a CS-style shooter Urban Terror's pretty good.

UT is amazing. I actually stayed up super late with one of my friends setting up a UT server for a LAN. We actually had issues with connecting a Macbook p2p, but it worked great for our server setup.

Fuchsdh

UT is amazing. I actually stayed up super late with one of my friends setting up a UT server for a LAN. We actually had issues with connecting a Macbook p2p, but it worked great for our server setup.

I tolerated it much more than I usually do--fast-paced shooters aren't my thing. I think now I honestly prefer playing FPS with triggers and joysticks now. My Mac's got the mouse for my strategy games. Still, for a free game Urban Terror is pretty amazing. I spent a lot of time playing it my freshman year of college.

Jonnyram

Will games on Steam be allowed to integrate Game Center support?
That slightly worries me right now. I don't really want a fragmented game market. It's not a huge deal, I know, but it would be good if everything just worked together.

Xbox 360 controllers aren't compliant to the USB spec and require a driver to work. I use this one with a wired controller but it says it works with the wireless controller+gaming receiver also.

I wanted to try Vice City from Steam downloaded this and paid $8 for something called gamepad companion which did me no good. In game the camera goes into a spin only stops when I get into a car or bike so the game is not playable.

I really want to play this using the Xbox controller... it seems to work fine with Onlive :(

if anyone have any solutions to play vice city with an 360 controller on a mac that works please pm me the info

colinp

Banned
I wanted to try Vice City from Steam downloaded this and paid $8 for something called gamepad companion which did me no good. In game the camera goes into a spin only stops when I get into a car or bike so the game is not playable.

I really want to play this using the Xbox controller... it seems to work fine with Onlive :(

if anyone have any solutions to play vice city with an 360 controller on a mac that works please pm me the info

Not sure if this still works, but way back when I used this driver:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

worked *great*! At least a few years ago..

I got Vice City to work pretty well now but now playing San Andreas I am back to square one.

Do I need to get a mouse for my Macbook the keyboard has no numb buttons :(
this stuff is crazy because this game is fun but losing because my controls are wacky

I got Vice City to work pretty well now but now playing San Andreas I am back to square one.

Do I need to get a mouse for my Macbook the keyboard has no numb buttons :(
this stuff is crazy because this game is fun but losing because my controls are wacky

Get a numpad, that's what I had to do for Garry's Mod

Gowans

I went from last years 13" MBP to the Retina Pro a couple of days ago, this thing is a beast for gaming.

I'm blown away at this thing.

Shank is currently 2.99 on the mac app store. I have it on 360 and didnt really like it but for those who want some beat em up action on the mac there you go.

Gintoki

Shank is currently 2.99 on the mac app store. I have it on 360 and didnt really like it but for those who want some beat em up action on the mac there you go.

How come the steam version doesn't support mac?

Also, from the steam thread:

Looks like Shatter for Mac has gone live on Steam, though actually it hasn't really and what is there isn't working. Somewhat of a premature switch was thrown by Valve without us noticing.

In any case, if you want Shatter for Mac, its coming but wait until the end of the week before purchasing.

Top Bottom