• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Cohn: Taxpayers care about their own wallets, not the wealthy's

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...yers-care-their-wallets-not-trumps/713785001/
WASHINGTON – Top economic adviser Gary Cohn on Thursday rebuffed questions about whether President Trump's tax plan would benefit the wealthy – and insisted that Americans only care about their own tax bills, not the president's.

At a White House briefing on Thursday, reporters asked Cohn why Trump promised that wealthy Americans such as himself would not benefit from a tax plan that – in reality – could actually net him and his family millions of dollars in savings.
Cohn refused to repeat Trump's Wednesday claim that the wealthy wouldn't benefit. Instead, he said the U.S. taxpayers only care about their own pocketbooks.

"What the American people are concerned about is their financial position... (and) how much do they get to keep versus how much they send the government," Cohn said. "A typical family earning $100,000 with two children...they can expect a tax cut of about $1,000. That's where we're headed."
As he unveiled his new tax plan in Indianapolis on Wednesday, Trump said that there is "very little benefit for people of wealth" in his new plan.

After Trump's speech, multiple news reports outlined the possible ways in which the wealthy and Trump stand to substantially gain from the proposed plan.
So basically people should just ignore the tax cuts for the wealthy and focus on themselves.

Patryn

A typical family earning $100,000?

Someone needs to give these people figures on the real average income.

wsj.jpg

The attack on the typical American can not stand

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i feel like i am in that sweet spot of income where i'm gonna get boned no matter which way this goes

1,000 extra in your pocket while you have to pay 2,000 extra for services that would have been covered without the cut.

I think this is the biggest fucking problem with America.

It's like sharing pizza with a bunch of guys. Just because you got one slice doesn't mean you got your share. Especially if you see some guys loading stacks of pizzas in their van.

Chumly

1,000 extra in your pocket while you have to pay 2,000 extra for services that would have been covered without the cut.

Exactly...... that's a pitiful amount compared to what they could do in damages. How much will it indirectly cost us?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
A typical family earning $100,000?

Someone needs to give these people figures on the real average income.

There is nothing "typical" about a family earning $100,000 per year. They just don't get it.

You aren’t considered human if you make less than that.
guys it doesn't even matter. 1000 dollar tax cut to a family making 100k its nothing. Spread over 26 bi-monthly checks its like 40 bucks.

dabig2

Dems will always be on the losing side of this, at least with the FYGM crowd, because people tend to not think beyond the immediate. We would've had universal healthcare by now if people were made aware that their take-home money is depressed due to healthcare expenses paid by their employer.

npm0925

Here’s an idea: Increase the tax rate on the 1% to 90%. Just like that America-hating commie Eisenhower did. Call it the patriot tax.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Dems will always be on the losing side of this, at least with the FYGM crowd, because people tend to not think beyond the immediate. We would've had universal healthcare by now if people were made aware that their take-home money is depressed due to healthcare expenses paid by their employer.
yea. People need to get out more. I worked for an Australian company and one of thr aussies and I got to talking and we started comparing taxes. His taxes weren't any higher than man and he get free fucking health care.

You missed the best part of that briefing, where Cohn talks about what you can do with $1000 extra a year, like remodel your kitchen or buy a new car.
yea... As somone that's remodeled part so of several houses, and just built a brand new house, laughing my fucking ass off at that.

1000 dollars will get you a decent mid range priced slab of granite. Not even cut or installed, just the granite.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Here’s an idea: Increase the tax rate on the 1% to 90%. Just like that America-hating commie Eisenhower did. Call it the patriot tax.
But the average American only cares about his own taxes /snort

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The problem is a lot of people see themselves stuck in no man's land so to speak.

They feel like they are paying more than they want to while not personally seeing the benefit.

It's easier for Republicans to win this battle as they can just say well we will cut your taxes.

Dems have a tougher road as they have to raise taxes AND pass bills for things healthcare or education.

Ogodei

Even if we took the "typical family" line as true, that's only a 1% tax cut. That's like, the bare minimum you could expect from tax relief, while top earners are looking at 4.6% cut, and i'm sure a further reduction in capital gains rates plus the elimination of the estate tax.

I would, grudgingly, be fine with the wealthy getting a 1% tax cut if i was getting a 5% cut, but the alternative scenario is outrageous.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Even if we took the "typical family" line as true, that's only a 1% tax cut. That's like, the bare minimum you could expect from tax relief, while top earners are looking at 4.6% cut, and i'm sure a further reduction in capital gains rates plus the elimination of the estate tax.

I would, grudgingly, be fine with the wealthy getting a 1% tax cut if i was getting a 5% cut, but the alternative scenario is outrageous.

this is what poor white America voted for, if only they realized it

or maybe they do realize it and consider the trade off worth it not to have a black family in the white house

For the record, this is not the Trump tax plan. This graphic is from 2013 and I want to say it was for expiring Bush tax cuts. Trump's plan is still absurd, but these numbers are from a different time period.

Except Cohn is going around speaking like they still believe the same crap that graphic is proclaiming. They are so out of touch because they don't give a fuck about anyone but their rich friends.

Chumly

For the record, this is not the Trump tax plan. This graphic is from 2013 and I want to say it was for expiring Bush tax cuts. Trump's plan is still absurd, but these numbers are from a different time period.
I think most people understand that it's from the past since the poor middle class families shown are getting a tax increase. The picture still applies though because those are the only people trump and Cohn care about.

Actually scratch... those people aren't rich enough for Cohn and trump to care

kswiston

I think most people understand that it's from the past since the poor middle class families shown are getting a tax increase. The picture still applies though because those are the only people trump and Cohn care about.

Actually scratch... those people aren't rich enough for Cohn and trump to care

The 650k couple might have just enough coming in to be the poors of their private golf club.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You missed the best part of that briefing, where Cohn talks about what you can do with $1000 extra a year, like remodel your kitchen or buy a new car.

https://youtu.be/cLkwPkncnRE
You can't be serious
"They can renovate their kitchen, they can buy a new car, they can take their family on vacation, they can increase their lifestyle"

Yeah, that was an astoundingly out of touch statement.

Top Bottom