• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2017 Choice Awards Nominees

Uncharted 4 isn't a great game though.

Oh, I'm sorry. My opinion and many others doesn't matter that we think Uncharted 4 is a great game, so I should take your opinion that it's not.

Edit: I like how you changed your original post "You think Uncharted 4 is a great game?"

SexyFish

Banned
1) UC4 and DOOM are only competing in one category.

2) When you have no reason to bring the other game, and just that other game? Yeah, that's fanboy to me.

Okay. I'll assume he made that comment without looking at the nominations, which is kind of dumb.

What game did everyone think would rack up GOTY awards left and right since 2015?

Uncharted 4.

What game did people think was going to be garbage?

Doom.

This guy works with porting and rereleasing old games. Games like Turok, which takes heavily from Doom. I'm sure he wants to see something that is an evolution of what he is working on win over something like Uncharted 4. I don't think it is him wishing evil on Naughty Dog.

blackw0lf

Glad to see Oxenfree up for best narrative.

I would give it that over any of the others.

Honestly I would nominate it as GOTY over Firewatch

Chobel

Okay. I'll assume he made that comment without looking at the nominations, which is kind of dumb.

What game did everyone think would rack up GOTY awards left and right since 2015?

Uncharted 4.

What game did people think was going to be garbage?

Doom.

This guy works with porting and rereleasing old games. Games like Turok, which takes heavily from Doom. I'm sure he wants to see something that is an evolution of what he is working on win over something like Uncharted 4. I don't think it is him wishing evil on Naughty Dog.

What does it matter what people thought in 2015? We're at 2017 now, and the big winners of GOTYs are Overwatch, Uncharted 4 and Inside. So still no reason why specifically mention Uncharted 4.

Beside what you wrote, of not reading nominations and just jumping to conclusions, is also a description of a fanboy.

MrS

Banned
OléGunner;227670209 said:
Lol yeah, that's just like YOUR opinion man.
And a terrible one at that!
Nah mate, I think you just need to be more discerning. My time is too precious to play walking simulators, dunno about yours though.

I will say that I think it deserves the prize for best technological achievement.

Who gives a fuck about GDC awards anyway?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Uncharted 4 isn't a great game though. ND has 1 great game and that's TLOU.

You are literally wrong here. By every measure that matters, they have multiple great games. UC4 is one of them.

Nah mate, I think you just need to be more discerning. My time is too precious to play walking simulators, dunno about yours though.

I will say that I think it deserves the prize for best technological achievement.

Who gives a fuck about GDC awards anyway?

Again your opinion.
It's quite weird and pretentious seeing you try to press your views as fact when millions of players and hundreds of critics have enjoyed their games.

MrS

Banned
OléGunner;227671587 said:
Again your opinion.
It's quite weird and pretentious seeing you try to press your views as fact when millions of players and hundreds of critics have enjoyed their games.
There are dozens of us who didn't enjoy Uncharted 4.

As I've said, I think it's a technical masterclass but in terms of gameplay, it's just didn't do it for me, and I'm just stating my opinion. Pretty simple.

As I've said, I think it's a technical masterclass but in terms of gameplay, it's just doesn't do it for me. Pretty simple.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

As I've said, I think it's a technical masterclass but in terms of gameplay, it's just doesn't do it for me. Pretty simple.

I was more going for the fact that you said ND only have ever made one good game as a fact, which is weird and pushy.

But sure if you don't like their games, more power to you man, nothing wrong with that.

There are some real head-scratchers throughout these lists. Doom or Hitman could easily replace any one of three of the nominated games for GOTY. No Man's Sky was a technical mess that falls well short of many games in the survival game genre yet it's nominated for innovation and technology...

What does it matter what people thought in 2015? We're at 2017 now, and the big winners of GOTYs are Overwatch, Uncharted 4 and Inside. So still no reason why specifically mention Uncharted 4.

Uncharted is being picked on for the same reason that people are going to compare every big budget movie to Marvel/Star Wars. Naughty Dog titles are poised for critical/commercial success because every one of them is absolutely safe as fuck.

Doom's success despite being in a niche genre is an underdog story. Uncharted 4's is business as usual.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Uncharted is being picked on for the same reason that people are going to compare every big budget movie to Marvel/Star Wars. Naughty Dog titles are poised for critical/commercial success because every one of them is absolutely safe as fuck.

Doom's success despite being in a niche genre is an underdog story. Uncharted 4's is business as usual.

Except it wasn't safe when it was UC1. You are saying that now in hindsight.

Ah yeah that niche FPS genre nobody buys fps games. What are you smoking?

kennyamr

I LOVE Firewatch but I think they are giving the game a bit too much recognition over others, at least in my opinion.

In others news, Good luck to the nominees!

Doom likes is not a genre, its not even a word. Doom is an FPS with single and multiplayer.
That's true in the same way that Elder Scrolls and Neptune are both RPGs, as in, only in the most broad of senses.

Doom's gameplay is not similar to other AAA shooters. It's specifically hearkening back to a style of game design that is not prevalent anymore in general, and most tellingly is flat out extinct at Doom's budget.

Acerac

Banned
You think Doom is a game but UC4 is a movie? That's what I'm getting from the quote and response.
And you got nothing from the Emperor Sheev inspired "salt" quote?

*shrug*

Think of me what you will. I will certainly be an edgelord when responding to shit posts.

For what it's worth it do feel that Doom's strengths lie in it's gameplay while UC4's lie in it's cinematic approach to storytelling. I don't think this is an insane assessment.

Chobel

*shrug*

Think of me what you will. I will certainly be an edgelord when responding to shit posts.

For what it's worth it do feel that Doom's strengths lie in it's gameplay while UC4's lie in it's cinematic approach to storytelling. I don't think this is an insane assessment.

You think that was shipost? But the tweet wasn't? Please!

Of all the nominations, DOOM compete with UC4 in only one category: BEST TECHNOLOGY, which has zero or little connection with "games" and "movies".

But hey, let's just "hope DOOM wipes the floor with Uncharted 4", I mean that's not salty at all.

So I guess it's OK to pick on Uncharted 4, right?

I keep seeing Firewatch on all these GOY lists and while I didn't play it and don't know a lot about it (yeah, yeah, what is Firewatch) I seem to remember hearing it ran like garbage on both consoles when it came out. Is that true and does that not matter anymore? Was the story that good?
No

*shrug*

No, it's not an insane assessment. You know what is though? Calling one a game and the other a movie.

Nice to see Dishonored 2 and INSIDE make the top game award. I'm playing through Dishonored 2 and it's really pulled me back into loving single player games like this. The series does just about everything right.

JP

I obviously have my own favourites in these things but the more lists like this I see at the end of the year the more I realise what a wonderful year for games it was. There's been so many good games this year and a lot of variety in the gams that I have enjoyed. :)

Top Bottom