• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

I've been playing Gears 3 again.

The maps are mostly all world class and the gameplay is virtually perfect.

Judgement in comparison is so...odd.

I've been playing Gears 3 again.

The maps are mostly all world class and the gameplay is virtually perfect.

Judgement in comparison is so...odd.

A million times this!!!!

Judgment seems so neutered compared to the overwhelming features of Gears 3

longer campaign, more mp maps, more mp modes, the BEST Horde mode in any game, a robust Beast mode, and tons of unlockables

just hit level 99 this morning (I re-upped twice in GoWJ in first week)

different developer I understand, but why take things away that made the former game so great, seems backwards

dab0ne

A million times this!!!!

Judgment seems so neutered compared to the overwhelming features of Gears 3

longer campaign, more mp maps, more mp modes, the BEST Horde mode in any game, a robust Beast mode, and tons of unlockables

just hit level 99 this morning (I re-upped twice in GoWJ in first week)

different developer I understand, but why take things away that made the former game so great, seems backwards

You consider Judgments "Campaign" to actually be a campaign? It's a shitty horde mode as best. Every single section is a just a few waves of enemies then you go to the next section. It's total shit.

Edit: Not bitching at you just expressing my dislike for the Judgement "campaign" and agreeing with you as far as how far superior the other gears games are. I do have a lot of fun with Overrun though. Needs new maps though.

mernst23

That was Sofia's second mission I believe. I'm still stuck on getting everyone killed in time. My best runs have been with boomers at the beginning with one of their weapons in the locker ready for me to equip. That way I can reload it and drive through much quicker.

Still no such luck, though. On Normal that Declassified Mission were a breeze, so at first I didn't know what people were talking about. I maintain the SP in Judgment is pretty fucking awesome.

It's just such a shame about the MP. Splitting the playlists may have worked alright in Gears 3 with such a massive player base, but with however many less copies Judgment shipped than Gears 3 we are looking at a massive misstep by Epic and People Can Fly.

Oh, now I remember. Yea, that was the toughest one I did yesterday. You pretty much need the oneshot spawn on the right to complete it. Getting the stars wasn't the problem, it was killing the 4 ragers with a breechshot or sticking them with a nade. I personally chainsawed one coming out the door as he was changing, stuck one, and breechshotted the other 2. There's only like 4-5 tickers and 2 theorons and a rager in the last room.

Oh, now I remember. Yea, that was the toughest one I did yesterday. You pretty much need the oneshot spawn on the right to complete it. Getting the stars wasn't the problem, it was killing the 4 ragers with a breechshot or sticking them with a nade. I personally chainsawed one coming out the door as he was changing, stuck one, and breechshotted the other 2. There's only like 4-5 tickers and 2 theorons and a rager in the last room.

i was close enough. I had two drones left in the final room with 4 seconds left. naturally I panicked and went in for the Gansher kills and got shot with three HB bullets and died.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Yeah! Playing Gears 3 again just feels so right. But since I bought the VIP pass for Judgment I'll have to check back at some point at least.

Encountered an "Epic Reaper" in the special event playlist today...are they supposed to be able to fly around and 1-hit kill you with a melee and use Lancers in a Booshka/Breechshot event? If not, then this guy was most definitely cheating.

Gamertag was Gnashes and according to his bio he's on GAF as well under the same name.

Nori Chan

Encountered an "Epic Reaper" in the special event playlist today...are they supposed to be able to fly around and 1-hit kill you with a melee and use Lancers in a Booshka/Breechshot event? If not, then this guy was most definitely cheating.

Gamertag was Gnashes and according to his bio he's on GAF as well under the same name.

Yup and you can't chainsaw them either.

Well I rented this from redbox on Wednesday and my brother and I had some fun with the "campaign" , lol dat horde mode protect the bot campaign .
Multiplayer is great though, free for all is nuts and I struggle but I'm having fun
Dat centipede time B^)

yea he helps out at the epic forums.

here's a list of current Reapers

http://gamegrit.com/tracker/

You consider Judgments "Campaign" to actually be a campaign? It's a shitty horde mode as best. Every single section is a just a few waves of enemies then you go to the next section. It's total shit.

Edit: Not bitching at you just expressing my dislike for the Judgement "campaign" and agreeing with you as far as how far superior the other gears games are. I do have a lot of fun with Overrun though. Needs new maps though.

well I couldn't call it a "waste of 4 hours of my life" without coming off as an ass

;)

it is a fun game, but it's sort of NEUTERED. haha

Not like you see one every match. I mean there's a reason why they have a medal after them. Plus community reapers are only there for a week anyways.
Sure, still not fun to fight against when you do run into it. Felt like I was fighting a modder from the Halo 2 days.

bs000

There's an Easter Egg in Library that people just found. It's quite a few steps to find a secret room with an Epic Reaper. Doesn't get you the medal or skin, but it's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVbdxeWEsI

Q9JKBon.png

JB1981

I noticed today that on a lot of these timed Declassiifed sections you can just run past the enemies and beat the section

You can progress to the next section without getting 3 stars

I noticed today that on a lot of these timed Declassiifed sections you can just run past the enemies and beat the section
Doesn't "beating" the section mean earning all three stars? Or do you get three stars just for reaching the end in time?

Which parts of the Gears 3 campaign were better that weren't like horde modes? I don't miss fighting glowy exploding guys, the Kraken, those little crawly bugs, zombie human hordes, the berzerker boss or all the slow walking. Thats just me though. I dug this change of pace.

malfcn

About VIP:
"We don't want to fragment the playlists in Gears 2 and 3, so you only get just a few we choose."
"Fuck it, let's basically double the playlist and separate the community. $$$"

The early access will be cool. But couldn't they have just made x2 EXP across everything and then added the VIP playlist for only early access?
That sounds the most reasonable to me.

There's an Easter Egg in Library that people just found. It's quite a few steps to find a secret room with an Epic Reaper. Doesn't get you the medal or skin, but it's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVbdxeWEsI

How the fuck do people find this shit?

To the people that have encountered the Epic Reapers online: How hard were they to kill?
In the special event playlist I killed it with a direct Booshka shot. Killed it about 3 times.

And Aftermath is really pretty and all, but it just feels kinda slow and plodding after the frenetic and intense main campaign. I know some people in here were complaining about the main campaigns pacing (or lack thereof), but fuck it, I just wanna shoot shit! I feel Judgment's campaign plays to Gears' best strength, the kick ass combat. No bullshit vehicles, on rail sections, or slow walk sections. Would have been nice if the characters interacted a bit more, or Baird and Cole were more spunky, but I was okay with the story taking a back seat to the action since story and dialogue was never Gears' strong suit. Would I have liked a prequel that fleshed out E-Day a bit more or a story that blew me away? Absolutely, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting it, especially after 3 games of raised questions without answers so it's hard to hold it against Judgment.

Ricker

I can't talk about the multiplayer and I admit I only rented the game for now but the single player is awesome...I only did Judgement and yes it's more of the same but man is it fun...and I like the new Cadet Sofia,she looks great and had some great one liners.... ''Permission to call him an asshole,sir..''

Doesn't "beating" the section mean earning all three stars? Or do you get three stars just for reaching the end in time?

no, I have had to redo a few sections on Insane because I didn't get the last star. Sofia'a section where you only use pistols is the one I had to retry a few times.

Nori Chan

I love the satisfying sound of a headshot from a breechshot. I'm enjoying the new event playlist with breechshot and booshka. It'sr petty fun

educator

Just finished the campaign and Aftermath on hardcore. Really enjoyed them both, I'll go as far and say this was my favorite campaign of all the Gears games. I did most of the declassified missions, skipping those that required me to finish within a set time limit. I never thought it was difficult, the only time I had trouble
was against the Berskers on Elliot's Mansion. It took forever to scorch them and they really freaked me out when both of them charged me.
I had to redo that part about ten times before I finally nailed it.

Aftermath was cool too,
and the gliding part in the end
was a great finish to it.

I've also noticed that the game doesn't seem to be very populated which is kind of sad. I think the MP is great and hopefully this game can live on for quiet some time.

Also, I'm thinking of buying the VIP-pass. Does that give me all the upcoming maps/DLC for free?

Man.

Campaign'd for half an hour purely to unlock Minh... Really not getting the appeal. Horde-like rooms strung together without even the tiniest effort to hide the mundane "gameyness" of it all. Granted, I've never been one for Gears campaigs. It's a completely different, infinitely more boring game, in my opinion.

Not "hidden", per se, but definitely handled more elegantly. You may as well be jumping in and out of 5 minute skirmishes via a menu, the way it currently is. There's no flow or motivation. It's a bit too arcadey.
I understand what you're saying and I think simply having the option to disable the post chapter results screen would have been a good thing and done wonders for some people's perception of the campaign. However, I wouldn't consider being "arcadey" a con at all, it's completely by design and it sets out to distill Gears purely down to it's combat with unpredictable enemy encounters that keep you on your toes every time.

educator

We've pretty much beaten to death in this thread the reasons why...but I'll complain some more: It's because it SUCKS.

I've read up and I agree with a lot of what's been said here. There are some major issues with Judgment, but seriously, you think it sucks? It's far from a bad game, and nonetheless a good Gears game. Sure, it's not the experience we're used to, but if you take it for what it is, it's a very fun game. You don't have to agree with me, but saying it sucks doesn't really make sense in my eyes.

I've read up and I agree with a lot of what's been said here. There are some major issues with Judgment, but seriously, you think it sucks? It's far from a bad game, and nonetheless a good Gears game. Sure, it's not the experience we're used to, but if you take it for what it is, it's a very fun game. You don't have to agree with me, but saying it sucks doesn't really make sense in my eyes.

I am with you. I loved the campaign, it is by far the best Gears campaign, and I also am really enjoying the mp. I played a bunch of overrun this weekend and it is nuts to see how good people are getting at it. We ran into a few different teams that were finishing the generator in less then 6 mins, and they were not even just tickering. It is awesome that there are so many different viable strategies.

Apologies. Let me clarify. The MP sucks. So far I'm enjoying the campaign though, as cited previously, it's just horde mode. I like how they wrap it in the trial testimony and I do enjoy the declassified stuff. I love the gears universe and so far the campaign is a hoot.

The MP is just soulless and broken.

Hope that helps. ;)

Edit: the competitive MP (TDM, etc).

Kabuto

Multiplayer got updated again

- All rifles being reverted to values they were at ship
- Stun on smoke grenades being converted to match melee stun (reduces stun from 2 seconds to 0.3 seconds)
- Stumble after falling from high distance also getting slight reduction in length (ongoing effort to remove bad stun issues from game)
- Smoke martyr being removed for reals (didn't take last time)

very happy about the rifles being reverted and smoke stun being fixed. I thought the fall stun was fine before but it's not that big of a deal to me.

They still need to fix the melee for the reverse two piece and the stim gas grenades, but other than that the multiplayer is getting better!

So with all these changes, where does that leave the game?

Exactly where it was, but with nerfed 2 piece?

How is the melee now?

I've not gone back yet.

bumpkin

In the special event playlist I killed it with a direct Booshka shot. Killed it about 3 times.

And Aftermath is really pretty and all, but it just feels kinda slow and plodding after the frenetic and intense main campaign. I know some people in here were complaining about the main campaigns pacing (or lack thereof), but fuck it, I just wanna shoot shit! I feel Judgment's campaign plays to Gears' best strength, the kick ass combat. No bullshit vehicles, on rail sections, or slow walk sections. Would have been nice if the characters interacted a bit more, or Baird and Cole were more spunky, but I was okay with the story taking a back seat to the action since story and dialogue was never Gears' strong suit. Would I have liked a prequel that fleshed out E-Day a bit more or a story that blew me away? Absolutely, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting it, especially after 3 games of raised questions without answers so it's hard to hold it against Judgment.
Agree with pretty much everything you said, but I'm curious about the bolded statement. Are there specific questions you're referring to? I know not everyone enjoys reading books or simply don't take their fandom that far, but there's a lot of stuff the games never address that the books cover. The clearest example was
the part where Prescott dies in 3 and says that Hoffman will be furious about the disc. In the books, you find out the back-story on the disc. It also covers everything about them ending up living on Raven's Nest and Prescott's stepping down as Chairman and taking off.

Tyrax

Just started into the game now. Did epic talk about any new Unreal Engine 3 features being shown off in this release? (ex: soft body physics from gears 2)

Does this mean a thrown smoke only knocks a player in to a 0.3s stun now? from video streams I watch I thought the 2 second smoke stun was ok, it made players back off instead of keeping their charge going in.

RedAssedApe

Banned
haha...man aftermath campaign just abruptly ends with brief mention of sofia. measly 10 GS too. so anti-climactic.

Current TIV value at Amazon = 25 cents...lol wtf?

Top Bottom