• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
haha...man aftermath campaign just abruptly ends with brief mention of sofia. measly 10 GS too. so anti-climactic.

Current TIV value at Amazon = 25 cents...lol wtf?

Uh, where it leaves off is when everyone gets back together in Gears 3. "Aftermath" is just telling the story of where Baird and Cole were when they separated from Marcus and the rest. It's only called "aftermath" because it takes place in the "present" in the same place you just played through in Judgement.

I must say, everyone should reserve judgmentlol until they fall 3 stories and headshot some poor unsuspecting bastard with a Gnasher, just before hitting the ground and rising on one knee like a boss.

Awesome.

Who am I kidding? While that certainly was very cool, the game is largely taking the piss.

While i still agree this game is behind Gears 3, multiplayer has definitely improved. With execution, melee fixes, smoke fixes, etc... i'm actually enjoying it a lot more than before. Now about the map situation... I can't tell if they all suck... But I'm getting pretty tired of playin 5 maps over and over.

Agree with pretty much everything you said, but I'm curious about the bolded statement. Are there specific questions you're referring to? I know not everyone enjoys reading books or simply don't take their fandom that far, but there's a lot of stuff the games never address that the books cover. The clearest example was
the part where Prescott dies in 3 and says that Hoffman will be furious about the disc. In the books, you find out the back-story on the disc. It also covers everything about them ending up living on Raven's Nest and Prescott's stepping down as Chairman and taking off.

It's mostly questions like "Why are the Locust ugly huge scaly grey walking turds, but their queen is basically some human chick in scabby armour?".

While i still agree this game is behind Gears 3, multiplayer has definitely improved. With execution, melee fixes, smoke fixes, etc... i'm actually enjoying it a lot more than before. Now about the map situation... I can't tell if they all suck... But I'm getting pretty tired of playin 5 maps over and over.

Well the other free Maxim map should be soon, plus you have to think the season pass DLC will be starting up soon as well. So that is 4 more maps hopefully before to much longer. It is great that they have been so proactive in fixing things and making changes.

I borrowed it from a friend, think I'm nearly done with it. It's not bad, but it's not great either, which is about all I can say about it. The Breechshot is pretty cool, though, once you get the hang of it you're popping heads everywhere.

Might try a harder difficulty, but I doubt it. I should really replay the original, though.

I started a co-op run with a friend last night, and was pretty annoyed that at the end of each section it would only show the highest scores in general. It kept coming up with my tag next to virtually all of them (my mate is not the greatest, lol).

We was hoping they'd at least show YOUR scores on your screen, or both persons scores together. It's just a little thing, but it made my mate feel really shitty, even though for all we know we could have identical scores, or only be out from each other by one point.

I don't really care much about it myself (it's all about the stars, baby), but my mate was starting to wonder if he was being any use at all because all evidence was pointing to me doing all the work.

educator

Apologies. Let me clarify. The MP sucks. So far I'm enjoying the campaign though, as cited previously, it's just horde mode. I like how they wrap it in the trial testimony and I do enjoy the declassified stuff. I love the gears universe and so far the campaign is a hoot.

The MP is just soulless and broken.

Hope that helps. ;)

Edit: the competitive MP (TDM, etc).

True, the campaign does feel like a ever flowing horde mode, but I too like that approach. Considering the story is actually good, both elements work great combined.

I wouldn't call it broken, but it lacks... a certain feel of satisfaction. I mean, it's still awesome to get a headshot up-close with the gnasher or a long distance kill with the breecher, but the MP does become a bit repetitive after a while. I'd say more maps (better maps), fewer playlists and minor tweaks to the gameplay could make a big different. It seems like the devs are trying pretty hard to come through and improve things, I'm just hoping they'll manage to do it sooner rather than later.

mernst23

haha...wondering the same damn thing

She's apparently related to the sires from Gears 2, which were humans/miners who were immulsion poisoned or some bs.

Apparently she just walked into the locust hive and was like, hey guys, i hate humans too, I'll lead you.

I will say this about the MP. TDM and Execution, and to a much lesser extent Overrun are the only good modes. FFA is just a lot of random bullshit, survival is a throwaway mode compared to overrun, and domination is BS because of the spawns. They might as well only have a center ring because it's impossible to hold all 3 rings at once without stretching your guys thin against an entire spawned team. It's stupid.

She's apparently related to the sires from Gears 2, which were humans/miners who were immulsion poisoned or some bs.

Apparently she just walked into the locust hive and was like, hey guys, i hate humans too, I'll lead you.

I will say this about the MP. TDM and Execution, and to a much lesser extent Overrun are the only good modes. FFA is just a lot of random bullshit, survival is a throwaway mode compared to overrun, and domination is BS because of the spawns. They might as well only have a center ring because it's impossible to hold all 3 rings at once without stretching your guys thin against an entire spawned team. It's stupid.

Isnt that the point? People complained about annex saying it was to easy for 1 team to hold the hill, so they made a mode where there is no way 1 team can just dominate the hills. You really have to work together and coordinate which hills you are going for. I havent played much since it sucks with randoms that wont talk, but the little I played with a full group was a lot of fun.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Did anyone try to trade this into Amazon and have it get sent back for being the wrong UPC?

I bought it from Newegg for $40 and Amazon's trade-in value was $38.05 so I jumped all over it, but they didn't accept it. I'm really peeved right now. And their trade in for it is now 25 cents.

mernst23

Isnt that the point? People complained about annex saying it was to easy for 1 team to hold the hill, so they made a mode where there is no way 1 team can just dominate the hills. You really have to work together and coordinate which hills you are going for. I havent played much since it sucks with randoms that wont talk, but the little I played with a full group was a lot of fun.

It's a fight for the middle ring as it is right now as the two outside rings are always controlled. If the spawns were neutral instead of favoring each team to one of the outside rings each it would make sense.

Edit: Wow, not even a month in and this thread stalled at 2k posts. Pathetic.

MjFrancis

Wow, not even a month in and this thread stalled at 2k posts. Pathetic.
It's a testament to the overall quality of the game. People are unhappy with it, and pretty much all I dig is the SP. I've played more Gears 3 MP in the past month than Judgment MP. It's a much, much better game.

It's a fight for the middle ring as it is right now as the two outside rings are always controlled. If the spawns were neutral instead of favoring each team to one of the outside rings each it would make sense.

Edit: Wow, not even a month in and this thread stalled at 2k posts. Pathetic.

I think it stalled because there is really no point discussing it. The haters have gone back to Gears 3, and the people that are really enjoying it are not going to say anything positive in this thread for fear of drawing the haters back. Its to bad since I think they did a really good job with this game, but it will definitely be remembered in a negative light it seems.

2San

It's a testament to the overall quality of the game. People are unhappy with it, and pretty much all I dig is the SP. I've played more Gears 3 MP in the past month than Judgment MP. It's a much, much better game.
It's also a game I have thoroughly have played to death. :p Gears:J does nothing for me though, so I guess I'm done with Gears for a while. :(

MjFrancis

That's one difference, I haven't played Gears 3 to death. I stopped playing a couple months after release and missed a lot of cool map packs. I played the Gears 3 beta to death though and kind of got my Gears MP bug out of my system when it released, so I mostly stuck to SP.

So far as the overall quality of Gears Judgement... sure, it's a good game. Great SP and kind-of-serviceable MP. Dropping with 4 maps on your most played MP game type did them no favors. Switching to FFA from TDM was an experiment that in hindsight largely failed. There's good ideas in there, but all in all it was a game type no one asked for that other franchises pull off much better. And then you have the gargantuan task of following up Gears 3. As stated before, if they put the Gears 3 MP in Judgment with the additional game modes and maps, people would be loving this game immensely and the player base would be less fragmented than it is now.

smik

GOWJ just 3 and a half weeks out is on life support and pretty much flat-lined

Last night's Numbers were jaw dropping low.

400+ TDM
200+ FFA
200+ DOM
300+ Overun

World Wide, rest of the modes and playlist were 0, just abysmal.

modes usually (now) average 1000+ and 2000+ on given weekends, still very, very poor.

putting in all the feedback for us to finally get back on track with GOW3 and to recive this speaks volumes to the lack of
direction EPIC wants to take the MP franchise, fans just dont know what they are going to get anymore as GOWJ doesn't
replicated any of the things GOW3 did with all its design,balance and content.

EG: two of GOWJ's best maps are easily Streets and Haven, which ironically have been confirmed by the devs were actually designed
& going to be DLC for GOW3, why are these better than the others? they have closer roots to symmetric style design and Haven has some
really interesting ground combat with great LOS's for rifle fire.

so what has PCF created? that leaves us with Gondola,Rig and Library.
just three maps, which are the worst out of the bunch.

One primary loadout has severely changed the game to a detriment, everything needs to be extra effective right out of the gate to counter
each gun, also people will use gnasher because its the most fun to use (but GOW works best with 2 primary's eg GOW3, rifles are essential to gaining map control), GOW works better with 2 weapon loadout with pistol being standard.
GOWJ has quickly gotten stale due to loss of tension, this is primary because of the map design, power weapon & spawn placements which are uneven and randomly placed, previously Gears games funneled into 2/3 different routes which leaded to Power Weapons, once you got there it was a battle of map control/domination, and you bet that rifles were essential for players to secure it, this scenario never happens or quickly fades in GOWJ.

Is GOWJ entirely bad? No,

it actually does some things right, Controls are great, New Weapons work wonderfully and stopping power has been removed, but imo falling off ledges
has really broke all of the tension, and chasing the last person on Execution can get frustrating & boring, minimal ledge mantel (Like Haven) would have been better suited for GOWJ, but this single mechanic can literally break every launch GOW1/2 maps, honestly would love to see this mechanic gone or (realistically) implement very small amount places in the map which it can be used.

Its really gotten to the point where GOW MP fans whether regular,hardcore,casual just simply dont care enough to invest time to wait,fight,discuss
or waste breath on forums for changes.
Simple EG: 3 separate Gears3GAF Gamertags with 300 Gears gamers, i never see anyone online playing it, max 3 people.
Me & My friends FL is mainly GOW centric with 30 players on GOW3 (before GOWJ's release) on any given time i only ever see 4 people playing on my FR playing at night, max.

This is where we have gotten to, fans imho have simply lost faith after what happen to GOW2, faith got restored with GOW3 and it delivered the type of
experiences people wanted in Gears, then it went all GOW2ish again with GOWJ, some really unessessary changes that poeple never wanted

Non symetric maps, unbalanced spawns & weapon placements, vertical maps, No Locust, No DBNO & Execution on launch,
Stims nades,Two Piece, One weapon loadout choice, Nades on spawn, Lack of MP content, loss of tension and map domination and finally FFA being the emphasis of design focus on Maps and Weapon balance.

Numbers dont lie, people are dropping like flies

(brb spell check later)

DaNcaKe

The numbers are appalling, as mentioned, but its for a good reason. The game just doesn't make me want to go back for more, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.

My major gripe with GoW3's online system was the dilution of players through the insane amount of playlists. What does GoWJ do? Continue the trend, but this time it's worse as the player pool is smaller.

The gameplay flaws are already well documented. Stim grenades? What were they thinking. The whole game just feels like a mod that could be created by a team of 3 guys if Epic had released GoW3 source code.

smik

The numbers are appalling, as mentioned, but its for a good reason. The game just doesn't make me want to go back for more, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.

My major gripe with GoW3's online system was the dilution of players through the insane amount of playlists. What does GoWJ do? Continue the trend, but this time it's worse as the player pool is smaller.

The gameplay flaws are already well documented. Stim grenades? What were they thinking. The whole game just feels like a mod that could be created by a team of 3 guys if Epic had released GoW3 source code.

So true, the essence of GOW has been removed to keep you coming back, some many things attribute to this especially with the removal of LMS and clutch situations, TDM 50 point tally & no DBNO, No symmetrical maps, FFA centered gameplay and etc

EPIC personally should get rid of ranked (im a social player) or have options to match you with DLC rooms and servers, this will create alot less playlist and larger playing pools, this is more for the next GOW as GOWJ's has really dropped off

Lunchbox

Banned
sold all my dlc codes that came with the game for a combination of 35$ (people paying over 20$ for alex brand on ebay lol weirdos)
1600 points worth 20$ from MS store
Amazon just accepted my trade in for 38$

93$ off something i paid 63$ for, im ok with judgment. disappointing but not angry since i gave up hope on MP after day 1 stim grenade gnasher fights and those 4 awful launch maps

ill donate some of my profits to see cliffy bald for the cancer charity, see you next gen gears.

mernst23

I finished the insane campaign last night and I'd definitely agree. The lowering of the skill gap is what really turns me off to the MP. For example, Overrun is just ticker spam until tier 2 opens up. No matter how good you are, the only way to defend barriers is to kick the ticker and hope the guy doesn't explode on you as you do it. The best FFA scores are usually like 25/16 (there's no such thing as being able to hold and dominate a section of map for more than 2-3 kills, which defeats the purpose). Survival is ridiculous due to all the bullet sponge enemies. The lack of maps really burns me up though. If the first DLC doesn't include 5-8 maps then there's a problem.

I finished the insane campaign last night and I'd definitely agree. The lowering of the skill gap is what really turns me off to the MP. For example, Overrun is just ticker spam until tier 2 opens up. No matter how good you are, the only way to defend barriers is to kick the ticker and hope the guy doesn't explode on you as you do it. The best FFA scores are usually like 25/16 (there's no such thing as being able to hold and dominate a section of map for more than 2-3 kills, which defeats the purpose). Survival is ridiculous due to all the bullet sponge enemies. The lack of maps really burns me up though. If the first DLC doesn't include 5-8 maps then there's a problem.

Its the exact same enemies from horde. I much prefer survival since it doesnt take a 3 hour commitment to play through 1 match. I also think they said that the season pass would only be 6 maps total so I guess you can start getting angry about that now.

2San

EG: two of GOWJ's best maps are easily Streets and Haven, which ironically have been confirmed by the devs were actually designed
& going to be DLC for GOW3, why are these better than the others? they have closer roots to symmetric style design and Haven has some
really interesting ground combat with great LOS's for rifle fire.

so what has PCF created? that leaves us with Gondola,Rig and Library.
just three maps, which are the worst out of the bunch.
While I agree with almost everything, streets is a stinker as well imo. Not significantly better then the other stinkers.

mernst23

Its the exact same enemies from horde. I much prefer survival since it doesnt take a 3 hour commitment to play through 1 match. I also think they said that the season pass would only be 6 maps total so I guess you can start getting angry about that now.

But at least in horde you can run away and regroup, taking potshots at enemies. Defending an objective that can be chipped away at by the enemies and only requires 2 barriers to be breached and can't be rebuilt is so cheap. The corpser can just burrow under all of them and emerge at the e-holes and generator and it's not like they can be killed quickly. Losing 20-25% of a generator from an enemy you can't even harm is infuriating.

As far as the maps go, maybe they'll take the hint that the lack of maps is a problem. Clocktower and something else got released for free with regular GOW3 players minus DLC, they can maybe do something like that again.

smik

While I agree with almost everything, streets is a stinker as well imo. Not significantly better then the other stinkers.

understandable, its very top heavy if you secure torque bow & Pork Chops its very difficult to contest and get back up, especially if team coordinated.

Overrun is the best thing about this game. There's so much tension when two competent teams play against each other. Two of my friends bought this game just for Overrun. But it's become stale with just these four maps. Capitol needs to hurry up, what gives?

im not sure if these skins were posted yet but this specific one made me laugh.
http://www.gamersbliss.com/2013/04/16/gears-of-war-judgment-leaked-dlc-skins-maps-more/

Locust armor skin
GOW-Judgment-Locust.jpg

-PXG-

I still haven't finished the campaign. I really have no desire to. I haven't played the game in weeks. Yeah....pretty telling, isn't it.

So sad.

MjFrancis

So for the season pass we're not really saving money, we're just getting everything earlier right?
I've procured two season passes in my lifetime, and that shall be all. I was pretty happy with the first (Gears of War 3) and I've been regretting the second for a few weeks now (Gears of War Judgment).

With a pedigree that includes modern classics like Painkiller and Bulletstorm, I really didn't think I would be disappointed with People Can Fly as much as I am now. If/when the Bulletstorm character DLC drops I don't know how much I'll play with that (or if it's even included in the season pass). Locust armor skin is just pitiful. I'll continue to mess around with Gears 3 MP on the Locust teams in the meantime.

I've procured two season passes in my lifetime, and that shall be all. I was pretty happy with the first (Gears of War 3) and I've been regretting the second for a few weeks now (Gears of War Judgment).

With a pedigree that includes modern classics like Painkiller and Bulletstorm, I really didn't think I would be disappointed with People Can Fly as much as I am now. If/when the Bulletstorm character DLC drops I don't know how much I'll play with that (or if it's even included in the season pass).

you should be directing your anger towards Epic/MS and not PCF. seeing as all they really did with this game is develop the campaign. VS multiplayer, overrun, survival, paid skins, season pass are all done by Epic. it was their decision to ship with the pathetic map count, disc locked content, no locust and gameplay tweaks.

I also wouldn't hold your breath for those bulletstorm skins seeing as that was an EA game.

With a pedigree that includes modern classics like Painkiller and Bulletstorm, I really didn't think I would be disappointed with People Can Fly as much as I am now. If/when the Bulletstorm character DLC drops I don't know how much I'll play with that (or if it's even included in the season pass). Locust armor skin is just pitiful. I'll continue to mess around with Gears 3 MP on the Locust teams in the meantime.

They havent even announced what is in the GoWJ season pass yet, how can you already be regretting it? I have enjoyed the double xp, it makes leveling up way less of a grind then it was in GoW3, plus we will get early access to all the DLC maps, and some free skins and such. I have really high hopes for the season pass and so far I am very happy that I bought it.

MjFrancis

you should be directing your anger towards Epic/MS and not PCF. seeing as all they really did with this game is develop the campaign. VS multiplayer, overrun, survival, paid skins, season pass are all done by Epic. it was their decision to ship with the pathetic map count, disc locked content, no locust and gameplay tweaks.
Good call there in that case. Lol, so the only part of this game I like was developed by PCF? I should remember that Epic was responsible for UT2003 and UTIII. They're not perfect. UTIII is pretty analogous to GoWJ, too - it's a representation of a game that fails capitalize on what made a franchise popular in the first place.

I also wouldn't hold your breath for those bulletstorm skins seeing as that was an EA game.
?

They havent even announced what is in the GoWJ season pass yet, how can you already be regretting it? I have enjoyed the double xp, it makes leveling up way less of a grind then it was in GoW3, plus we will get early access to all the DLC maps, and some free skins and such. I have really high hopes for the season pass and so far I am very happy that I bought it.
You should be happy with the season pass if you're playing the MP and enjoying it. Since I expect most of the season pass perks to apply to the MP I'm disappointed in my decision to pick it up. If they add to the SP or reinstate DBNO, bring back Locust teams, return to the old control scheme and put out better maps I'll happily dine on crow.

malfcn

LOL just quit a match.

It was 40-5.
The other team took no damage.

Hit them point blank with a flame grenade and gnasher and they skipped around.

mernst23

I know this seems like an insane proposal, but does anyone want to run through the survival maps? I think 3-4 people should be able to do it pretty easily on casual. My GT is RockGotham. I'll probably be working on finishing up my cog tag collecting tonight and playing overrun otherwise.

Kabuto

I know this seems like an insane proposal, but does anyone want to run through the survival maps? I think 3-4 people should be able to do it pretty easily on casual. My GT is RockGotham. I'll probably be working on finishing up my cog tag collecting tonight and playing overrun otherwise.

I'd be up for it if you want to do it tomorrow afternoon. GT: Donaldduck287

Also
http://majornelson.com/2013/04/17/live-activity-for-week-of-april-8th/
LIVE Activity for week of April 8th

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Call of Duty: Black Ops II
2 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
3 EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
5 Halo 4
6 NBA 2K13
7 Battlefield 3
8 Call of Duty: Black Ops
9 Skyrim
10 GTA IV
11 Modern Warfare 2
12 Gears of War: Judgment
13 Borderlands 2
14 EA SPORTS NHL 13
15 BioShock Infinite
16 Halo: Reach
17 Gears of War 3
18 Terraria – Xbox 360 Edition
19 Madden NFL 13
20 Forza Motorsport 4

Wow.

smik

Also

12 Gears of War: Judgment

Wow.

Ouch, its only going to get worse from here on out.

Nice to see GoWJ ahead of 3.

lol, you have resentment towards GOW3?

GoW3> 1.6+ years out
GoWJ> 4 weeks bud.

Those number will fall again as the drop off has really just begun from last week. Honestly This will teach EPIC for the better, again sigh.
Im Glad the fans have responded to this the only way they can, simply not play.

Lunchbox

Banned

Thats the GENIUS!

this is the greatest hit and run from epic. try out random bullshit experiments that dont work, when the fans hate it, People can fly takes the blame !

theres a reason this man drives a lambo and we dont

Snn3c94.jpg

Top Bottom