• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Fable 3 is a bit of a mystery to me.

1 frame will have no HUD, but also no GeDoSaTo post processing. The next frame WILL have GeDoSaTo post processing but also the HUD.

Is this a case for injectDelayAfterDraw true?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fable 3 is a bit of a mystery to me.

1 frame will have no HUD, but also no GeDoSaTo post processing. The next frame WILL have GeDoSaTo post processing but also the HUD.

Is this a case for injectDelayAfterDraw true?

Yeah give it a shot. I believe I had an example of that in RE5.

Yeah give it a shot. I believe I had an example of that in RE5.

Well, it worked, but its weird. With the HUD disabled, certain HUD elements will still appear for a bief second (like prompts to talk to certain NPCs, or to whistle to your dog), but GeDoSaTo gets rid of them almost immediately. Normally in this shot, I'm promoted to whisle to the dog along with my objective reminder at the top of the screen.

It's also a proof of concept for my free camera :p

14890067640_cd370abc87_o.jpg

I'll continue testing it for a bit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, it worked, but its weird. With the HUD disabled, certain HUD elements will still appear for a bief second (like prompts to talk to certain NPCs, or to whistle to your dog), but GeDoSaTo gets rid of them almost immediately. Normally in this shot, I'm promoted to whisle to the dog along with my objective reminder at the top of the screen.

It's also a proof of concept for my free camera :p

14890067640_cd370abc87_o.jpg

I'll continue testing it for a bit.

Does the game fade the UI elements in perhaps? It could be a case of something like a "fade" being applied with one PixelShader and then the final static UI element being applied with a separate one.

Glad you got it mostly figured out though!

Does the game fade the UI elements in perhaps? It could be a case of something like a "fade" being applied with one PixelShader and then the final static UI element being applied with a separate one.

Glad you got it mostly figured out though!

That's exactly what's happening. Also explains why you see faint black outlines when the HUD is naturally trying to fade back out.

One thing I can't figure out in this game is how to prevent the mouse cursor from drifting over to my other monitor. When that happens, it clicks outside the game and minimizes.

For now I've virtually arranged them so my 2nd monitor is above my first. Fewer issues that way.

I don't think he's too concerned about the HUD. He'll play at a smaller res, but increase it greatly for screenshots. But I'm guessing there are issues with bloom once the game is blown up to crazy resolutions. I haven't really checked it out myself.

Dries

Guys, I want to downsample my games, but I'm completely lost in the tech area. Should I use GeDoSaTo when I downsample or should I use the "normal" downsampling with Nvidia control panel shown in this thread? What is the difference and what is the best choice?

Durante

Don you think you will ever be able to impliment deffered SSAO?
I don't really know what you mean by "deferred SSAO". From the pictures I guess using per-pixel surface normals instead of per-face for the AO calculation. This could be possible in games which already produce a normal buffer, but obviously not in ones that don't.

I don't really know what you mean by "deferred SSAO". From the pictures I guess using per-pixel surface normals instead of per-face for the AO calculation. This could be possible in games which already produce a normal buffer, but obviously not in ones that don't.
It's what ENB creator Boris Vorontsov called it. His SSAO has been in development for quite a while though, so there's no wonder it's as good as it is.

Don you think you will ever be able to impliment deffered SSAO? The difference is quite impressive
I'd love to implement better AO algorithms like this one but at some point most of them require to have access to the game projection/world matrices (Unless there's some HLSL wizardry that does just that ?) and I can't think of a way to consistently get these -at least "universally"- with the GenericDepthPlugin. So I've been kinda stuck for a while on this. Going the specific game plugin way would be more convenient for that matter I guess... *sigh*

Isn't that pointless though? The game scales it's UI with resolution. It's basically unplayable even with only 2x2 driver downsampling

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=65970

But still, so it's glitching out beyond that? At what point does it start doing that?

Only windowed?

I wouldn't say it's glitching out so much as 'shrinking'. It scales in much the same way as the UI, to the point where if you're grabbing in the 25megapixel region or higher there's almost no bloom to speak of - it's so condensed that it just nukes the surface producing it.

Not the greatest example but I didn't leave this room yet in the Director's cut. Look at some of the consoles, the ceiling lights, or the 3 little light things on the left:

2560x1080:
15081550551_4898be1195_o.jpg

7680x3240:
14897921650_73c236552d_o.jpg

In the downsampled shot, the bloom is gone. I imagine there are certain scenes in teh game that would come out looking completely flat due to that.

molnizzle

Is there any way to "inject" the GeDoSaTo stuff without running the tool.exe? I always forget to open the tool first and crash Dark Souls II. It was always a pain in the ass to have tinker around for a few minutes to get everything back up and running. I also don't like having to disable the Steam overlay just to avoid crashing.

At this point I just want to use SGSSAA and the SSAO from GeDoSaTo in Dark Souls II, preferably without having to run the tool. Is this possible? I'd be fine with Nvidia's HBAO+ if it didn't have the stupid pop-in in some areas.

jett

D-Member
Does the SSAO part of GDST not usually work? Trying out AssCreed 1 for kicks, downsampling works just fine but I get no SSAO.

Pretty sure SSAO is only for Dark Souls 2 right now.

Come to think of it, why isn't all the Dark Souls 2 specific stuff in the Dark Souls 2 config file?

BONKERS

Not the greatest example but I didn't leave this room yet in the Director's cut. Look at some of the consoles, the ceiling lights, or the 3 little light things on the left:

In the downsampled shot, the bloom is gone. I imagine there are certain scenes in teh game that would come out looking completely flat due to that.

I wouldn't say it's completely gone. But it's scaled the point where it's definitely a ton more subtle. Guess we can blame the devs for making it so shitty in the first place. (Low precision, tons of undersampling artifacts, doesn't extend very far as is)

Wonder if it's possible for someone to code a specific game plugin that possibly intercepts the games rendering calls and modify some of them somehow. (Though i'd imagine that'd be difficult since this'd probably be a shader thing and those are usually compiled)

Lork

A question for those in the know: I see two options related to refresh rate in the settings - presentHz and presentInterval. If I wanted to limit my FPS in Dark Souls 2 to 30, would either of these be an appropriate way to do that? If so, in what way do they interact with the VSync settings on the driver level (ie. Always On, On Unless Specified, and so on)?

molnizzle

A question for those in the know: I see two options related to refresh rate in the settings - presentHz and presentInterval. If I wanted to limit my FPS in Dark Souls 2 to 30, would either of these be an appropriate way to do that? If so, in what way do they interact with the VSync settings on the driver level (ie. Always On, On Unless Specified, and so on)?

presentInterval is what you want, set it to 2. You should turn off any driver Vsync if you use it. In my experience I couldn't tell the difference between GeDoSaTo and using "1/2 refresh rate" in Nvidia Inspector.

Lork

presentInterval is what you want, set it to 2. You should turn off any driver Vsync if you use it. In my experience I couldn't tell the difference between GeDoSaTo and using "1/2 refresh rate" in Nvidia Inspector.
That did the trick, thanks.

I found a bug though. Trying to use presentInterval in combination with forceBorderlessFullscreen causes the game to crash on startup. Not a major issue as borderless windows are not essential, but something to look in to just the same.

jett

D-Member
Works pretty nice with Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Doesn't seem to work with Sonic Generations.

4k > 1080p

asn_app_pcdx9_final-2lsk9a.jpg

Lork

While I'm asking stuff, is there some way to force the status info to be displayed for those of us who can't use keybinds? It would be nice to be able to tell what my framerate is without having to resort to using another overlay program.

Parsnip

While I'm asking stuff, is there some way to force the status info to be displayed for those of us who can't use keybinds? It would be nice to be able to tell what my framerate is without having to resort to using another overlay program.
Nope, not at the moment at least.
If you can't use keybinds because you don't have a keyboard close by when you game, you can bind shortcuts to controller as well.

wilflare

did I miss something? :O is everything (DX9,10,11) working w GeDoSaTo now

Lork

Nope, not at the moment at least.
If you can't use keybinds because you don't have a keyboard close by when you game, you can bind shortcuts to controller as well.
I can't use keybinds because of the "Could not register global hotkey" bug, so no dice there. A workaround for that would be a nice thing to have at any rate.

I have an odd issue that just started with the Cross Again release. Steam can't be running while the tool is activated, turning it on turns off Steam. Did I miss something?

EDIT: It sort of works (50% success rate with Steam not crashing) but it doesn't work with anything other than Mirror's Edge.

jett

D-Member
at least on my 670, it's possible if you take shadow quality down one time from the max quality. seems very demanding for no reason. Cant really notice the dips.

Oh well, I was just trying it out, wasn't really gonna play it again.

I also tried out Mirror's Edge, man that game is crazy well optimized. 1620p + 8X MSAA, 60fps on a 280X. Couldn't sustain 60fps at 4K, though. Honestly, I don't even know if I'm seeing much of a difference between 1080p and downsampled 1620p with 8X MSAA on. Text looks a bit garbled though when downsampling.

BONKERS

did I miss something? :O is everything (DX9,10,11) working w GeDoSaTo now

Deus EX has a DX9 mode. And in The Director's Cut, the DX9 mode is crap. Several aspects are downgraded from the DX9 mode in the original game and end up looking far worse. (Such as the Bloom/HDR precision, DoF precision, lighting in general)

The DoF for a specific example on the max setting in the DC in DX9. It is lower resolution than the equivalent setting in the original game. And results in temporal issues. Especially when using SGSSAA. Where as in the original game, the same setting in DX9 is full resolution and high quality with no temporal issues. (With or without SGSSAA)

BONKERS

Oh well, I was just trying it out, wasn't really gonna play it again.

I also tried out Mirror's Edge, man that game is crazy well optimized. 1620p + 8X MSAA, 60fps on a 280X. Couldn't sustain 60fps at 4K, though. Honestly, I don't even know if I'm seeing much of a difference between 1080p and downsampled 1620p with 8X MSAA on. Text looks a bit garbled though when downsampling.

If you can't see much of a difference. Don't try looking for it. You may be better off.

Durante

Is there any way to "inject" the GeDoSaTo stuff without running the tool.exe? I always forget to open the tool first and crash Dark Souls II. It was always a pain in the ass to have tinker around for a few minutes to get everything back up and running. I also don't like having to disable the Steam overlay just to avoid crashing.
Why would you disable the Steam overlay?

Anyway, my advice would be to set GeDoSaToTool to autostart, and (if you haven't already) disable UAC. And be a much happier person.

I have an odd issue that just started with the Cross Again release. Steam can't be running while the tool is activated, turning it on turns off Steam. Did I miss something?
That's a bug some people have, and not one I could ever reproduce.

Edit:
I just realized while looking for games for testing in my Steam library that I own almost no DX11 games. Could it be that that API is almost exclusively used by "AAAA" games I don't play?

Edit2:
Origin (or more specifically, Dragon Age 2) to the rescue!

Dries

So I just tried this tool for the first time with Borderlands 2 and currently I'm playing at 3200 x 1800. Awesome! I have some questions regarding some settings which can be found in the GeDoSaTo.ini like SSAO, DoF etc etc. How do the settings in the .ini work in conjunction with in-game settings for the same graphical features. Should I disable SSAO in-game and turn it on in the GeDoSaTo.ini or something in between?

I'd love to implement better AO algorithms like this one but at some point most of them require to have access to the game projection/world matrices (Unless there's some HLSL wizardry that does just that ?) and I can't think of a way to consistently get these -at least "universally"- with the GenericDepthPlugin. So I've been kinda stuck for a while on this. Going the specific game plugin way would be more convenient for that matter I guess... *sigh*
Yiu should check out ENB SSAO, it's very high quality, especially in Dark Souls 2

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
Was playing with this with Guild Wars 2, but it affects the UI and mouse cursor too. How do I avoid this?

Set "interceptWindowProc true" in the GeDoSaTo options to fix the mouse.
You can set the UI to "Larger" in the game options but unfortunately there's no way to get it bigger than that.

Talking about per-pixel normals vs flat normals AO. This is a comparison I just made on some OpenGL demo. Had no idea the difference between the two was that huge :
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/89763

Yiu should check out ENB SSAO, it's very high quality, especially in Dark Souls 2
ENB is as closed source as it can be, in case you don't know. It means he won't share his recipes because he's making a living out of it

jett

D-Member
If you can't see much of a difference. Don't try looking for it. You may be better off.

Well, it's just for that particular case since I can crank the AA so high. MSAA support is kinda dead these days so it's not really applicable to most games, heh.

molnizzle

Why would you disable the Steam overlay?

If I don't disable it then Dark Souls II locks up whenever I bring it up. I can navigate the overlay when I first pull it up, but when I press the guide button again to return to the game everything freezes. I disable it so I don't accidentally pull it up and freeze my game.

Anyway, my advice would be to set GeDoSaToTool to autostart, and (if you haven't already) disable UAC. And be a much happier person.

I've done all of that, but GeDoSaTo still doesn't autostart. I have to manually open it after every reboot. When I previously had the same problem with Xpadder I was able to fix it by moving the Xpadder directory to "Program Files (x86)." GeDoSaTo doesn't work when I try that though. Like, it opens and says that it's working, but it doesn't work. Games are never affected.

The only way I've been able to get it to work is in different directory, but it won't autostart with Windows. It also forces Dark Souls II to open in windowed mode about half the time, which initiates a startup crash. I have to disable GeDoSaTo, run DSII again to enable full screen, quit DSII, re-enable GeDoSaTo, and then run DSII again. It's really annoying with DSII in particular because you have to sit through like 50 pop-ups when you first launch.

For now I've resigned to using 4x SGSSAA along with the in-game SSAO. GeDoSaTo is just too much hassle at the moment. I look forward to trying it again in a few months though. =)

Parsnip

If I don't disable it then Dark Souls II locks up whenever I bring it up. I can navigate the overlay when I first pull it up, but when I press the guide button again to return to the game everything freezes. I disable it so I don't accidentally pull it up and freeze my game.
You say guide button, so I guess it's big picture overlay.

I completely forgot that thing (BP) even existed.

Durante

Big picture mode causes so many annoying issues with GeDoSaTo. I already spent 5 hours just making sure that it doesn't crash. I really don't want to invest that much time into something I don't use.

I've done all of that, but GeDoSaTo still doesn't autostart. I have to manually open it after every reboot. When I previously had the same problem with Xpadder I was able to fix it by moving the Xpadder directory to "Program Files (x86)." GeDoSaTo doesn't work when I try that though. Like, it opens and says that it's working, but it doesn't work. Games are never affected.
And this is on an admin account, with UAC disabled? I can't believe that.

Parsnip

Unless I'm completely misremembering, in Win8 and 8.1, never notify still leaves it on. Last time I ran Win8.1 I had to disable it entirely because it was interfering with something even when it was set to never notify. I can't for the life of me remember what application was though.

Top Bottom