• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geneforge Saga |OT| RPG series of Megalomaniac Mutant Monster Makers (15.99 on Steam)

Mid- to late-game I had 2 Terror Vlish and 3 Artillas in my party. The Terror Vlish are great when you're facing groups of really tough enemies because you can neutralize 2-3 enemies by terrorizing them, while you focus down the rest.

Yea, I'm looking forward to unlocking Vlish, or at least the charm/terror spells to start, though I'm not putting a ton of points in magic now.

Fjordson

Well, I finally finished Geneforge and fucking loved it. Fascinating world, great writing throughout.

I do intend to get to the other Geneforge games, but I noticed that all of Spiderweb Software's games are on sale right now on Steam, so I basically picked up everything they've made last night :lol

Wasn't sure what to play next, so I went ahead and booted up Avernum: Escape from the Pit (which I think is a remake of the first Avernum). It's great so far. Much like Geneforge, the setting is fascinating and I love the general premise of the story.

And a nice bonus is that it's practically a graphical powerhouse compared to the first Geneforge :lol

coopolon

Not sure if I should bump this or start a LTTP thread. Not really planning on posting a ton quite yet though so figure I'd bump this.

Started Geneforge 1 today. Just made it through the first screen. I'm kinda surprised how much I don't mind the bare minimum graphics. I mean, it's one thing to have old graphics (like Infinity Engine games, which actually still look great), but these are obviously a different level of old/bare.

But it doesn't really matter, the premise is very interesting and I love playing summoners in most RPGs so the idea of an entire game dedicated to the concept gives me goose bumps. Also, the dungeon master style narration intrigues me as well.

I do have two questions though.

1. I always have decision paralysis in RPGs. I spend hours googling on best builds and kill any interest I have in playing the game. It's a real problem. I've done a little bit of googling with this one and have decided that I am going to play a shaper focusing on Battle Shaping/Magic Shaping/Healing/Int/Mechanics although I do want to get Leadership up as well as magic enough for unlock. This sound ok?

2. Is there a shortcut key to close chests? Edit: Nevermind, Esc closes chests. Is there a shortcut key for stats screen though?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not sure if I should bump this or start a LTTP thread. Not really planning on posting a ton quite yet though so figure I'd bump this.

Started Geneforge 1 today. Just made it through the first screen. I'm kinda surprised how much I don't mind the bare minimum graphics. I mean, it's one thing to have old graphics (like Infinity Engine games, which actually still look great), but these are obviously a different level of old/bare.

But it doesn't really matter, the premise is very interesting and I love playing summoners in most RPGs so the idea of an entire game dedicated to the concept gives me goose bumps. Also, the dungeon master style narration intrigues me as well.

I do have two questions though.

1. I always have decision paralysis in RPGs. I spend hours googling on best builds and kill any interest I have in playing the game. It's a real problem. I've done a little bit of googling with this one and have decided that I am going to play a shaper focusing on Battle Shaping/Magic Shaping/Healing/Int/Mechanics although I do want to get Leadership up as well as magic enough for unlock. This sound ok?
You might have a bit of trouble spreading yourself so thin, depending on what you mean by "focus on". I've had a lot of fun doing a playthrough where I focus enough on mechanics and leadership that I can unlock almost any door and get almost any dialogue option, but my battle abilities noticeably suffer for it. If you don't want to go hardcore rogue I'd recommend focusing a bit more on your shaping skills, as well as enough points in some of the magic that your attack spells deal some damage.
2. Is there a shortcut key to close chests? Edit: Nevermind, Esc closes chests. Is there a shortcut key for stats screen though?
Hm, have you tried C? I'll boot up my copy and see if I can find one

coopolon

You might have a bit of trouble spreading yourself so thin, depending on what you mean by "focus on". I've had a lot of fun doing a playthrough where I focus enough on mechanics and leadership that I can unlock almost any door and get almost any dialogue option, but my battle abilities noticeably suffer for it. If you don't want to go hardcore rogue I'd recommend focusing a bit more on your shaping skills, as well as enough points in some of the magic that your attack spells deal some damage.

Hm, have you tried C? I'll boot up my copy and see if I can find one

Hah, I thought I was focusing. I don't really know enough about the numbers to suggest goal numbers, except reading around it seems leadership only has to go to eight.

Is it better to focus on one shaping to the exclusion of the other two?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hah, I thought I was focusing. I don't really know enough about the numbers to suggest goal numbers, except reading around it seems leadership only has to go to eight.
Its mostly because mechanics and leadership are threshold abilities, where options in gameplay unlock after they pass a certain point, and so if you want to access all of that content you have to really commit. Without those, yeah, your "focus" on four or five areas is pretty focused.
Is it better to focus on one shaping to the exclusion of the other two?
Nah, not really. I will recommend that you focus on fire and magic shaping though, the battle creations aren't quite balanced in the first game and their usefulness drops off quickly in the mid-game.

coopolon

I think I burned myself out on the first game. I REALLY liked it for a long time. Played 29 hours in the last week or so.

But it has its problems. The biggest are as follows:

1. The experience curve is terribly out of whack. Just clearing each screen as I come across it and I have almost completely outleveled almost everything in the game. It's the point where I no longer get experience for 90% of the things I kill, the ones that do still give me some exp I only get 5, and I very rarely come across something I get 40 exp for. I know that obviously leveling should slow down as you get higher, and I'm 20 which is probably pretty close to the end, but I think ahving you get less experience with each kill just demotivates the player. Instead he should have had each level require more exp to cross, that way you feel like you're working torwards something. This has really killed my desire to keep playing because I feel like I'm not advancing.

2. The scripting is way too rigid for the flexible nature of the game. I keep coming across NPCs and named monsters who I am pretty sure supposed to give me a quest, but won't, or just say "You've already done this, don't talk to me". Obviously, by giving the player the chance to kill pretty much anyone they can't account for anything. But I've been playing as a typical gamer - I never kill anyone without talking to them, I talk to everyone, etc. I think a lot of them are broken just because I go to the wrong place first. The best example is a character named Heustess. I won't spoil anything, in fact I can't spoil anything because I have no idea what he does, but someone how I broke his quest by coming from the west instead of the south east, and it seems like he's got a cool story to tell.

It's a great game though. If I hadn't binged on it I would probably finish it. I'm going to back up my save, maybe I'll come back to it, it's a shame because I'm pretty sure I'm almost done with it but going back to it such a chore now. I definitely will be moving on to Geneforge 2 some day, will probably just have to google the ending which is too bad. The story is great, it's my biggest regret because I really want to see how it ends.

In fact, maybe I'll just look for a let's play. It's a pretty indie game so there probably aren't a lot out there, but I know there is one, just not sure if he finished it.

Edit:
Well, I ended up beating it. I just beelined for the end and pretty much ignored everything else. I never was able to join a sect. All my criticisms of the original stand, but it's still a wonderful game. The most astonishing thing to me is how much more interesting I found the world/story even though it's just presented in text boxes vs the vast majority of games released with all the fancy tech of the modern era and yet they all have the most generic and boring of worlds and stories. The ending was pretty satisfying.

I wish I had turned up the difficulty much earlier though, the default difficulty is super easy, at least for shapers. Also, I think it's really important you pick a "sect path" so to speak early on and stick with it, otherwise you won't be able to join any sects because you've sent mixed signals, which is what happened to me.

Top Bottom